IGNORED

Everything Matt Smith (Merged)

Marina's Rolls Royce

Can I change the subject a bit and ask if we've ever had a better header of the ball than Matty?

e

Forwards; Atyeo, Galley, Harford, Cheesley, Morgan, Turner, Brooker

Defenders: Flint, Merrick, Rodgers, Connor, Rooks, Taylor

Plus dozens of good headers of the ball from the years before anyone on the forum can remember.

If my memory serves me correct he was not that tall a player neither. Did we get him from Carlise, or did he go there from us.

Before my time, but the record books show McIlmoyle was signed in March '67 from Wolves for a record 27k, scored just 4 times for City in 20 apps. before joining Carlisle for a 'cut-price' 22k. in the September.

What's the sorry here, why were City willing to splash a then record fee on him only to sell again only 6 months later?

And with just 4 goals for City, why does he seem to be fondly remembered?

Forwards; Atyeo, Galley, Harford, Cheesley, Morgan, Turner, Brooker

Defenders: Flint, Merrick, Rodgers, Connor, Rooks, Taylor

Plus dozens of good headers of the ball from the years before anyone on the forum can remember.

It was probably an optical illusion, or dodgy eyesight on my part, but it often looked to me that Dickie Rooks headed the back of the forward's head when going up for the ball and it appeared that the forward headed it away!

Before my time, but the record books show McIlmoyle was signed in March '67 from Wolves for a record 27k, scored just 4 times for City in 20 apps. before joining Carlisle for a 'cut-price' 22k. in the September.

What's the sorry here, why were City willing to splash a then record fee on him only to sell again only 6 months later?

Thereby hangs a tale, depends on who you listen to. Shall we just say ,he er.... (allegedly) "fell out" with some of the hierarchy !

The official version was he couldn't settle in the south and chose the moment that Fred Ford was sacked to put in a transfer request and in the interregnum he was sold to Carlisle. He didn't feature too much, as when he came, we were involved in a huge cup run and he was cuptied, I think he was also injured/ill for a bit .

Thereby hangs a tale, depends on who you listen to. Shall we just say ,he er.... (allegedly) "fell out" with some of the hierarchy !

The official version was he couldn't settle in the south and chose the moment that Fred Ford was sacked to put in a transfer request and in the interregnum he was sold to Carlisle. He didn't feature too much, as when he came, we were involved in a huge cup run and he was cuptied, I think he was also injured/ill for a bit .

Amazing how memory plays tricks - Nogbad states that he played 20 times and scored 4 goals. 

I shall not dispute Nogbad's account (he would only correct me if I did), but my (fading) schoolboy memory was that he played at least twice as many games and scored 'loads' of goals - certainly more than 4!

Perhaps it was because McImoyle was one of the first big money signings at City since the war.

But we or more accurately AD replaced him with John Galley who arrived with a leg in plaster from Rotherham but when it came off, he got a hat-trick at Huddersfield for a 3-0 City away win.

I would still walk a million miles for one of his goals!

I remember that game.

I was at home and me and my dad saw the result on telly and I said "I bet Galley got a hat trick".

Half an hour later I had run down to get in the queue to get the Green 'Un (no internet or mobiles kids). I sprinted back home, bashed through the door shouting "I told you - he got a hat trick". 

Happy days.

Mind you, I think he got a hat trick on every debut for all (or most) of his clubs...

Yes, I can still remember the headlines writ large on the front of the Green'un.... "Great Galley, a hat trick!"

Amazing how memory plays tricks - Nogbad states that he played 20 times and scored 4 goals. 

I shall not dispute Nogbad's account (he would only correct me if I did), but my (fading) schoolboy memory was that he played at least twice as many games and scored 'loads' of goals - certainly more than 4!

It's not my account of McIlmoyle Phil, the stats are taken straight from 'Bristol City, The First 100 Years.'

No doubt our first City heroes when we were youngsters always seemed bigger, faster, jumped higher, scored more goals - absolutely incredible ones at that - never missed a sitter etc., than was the case in reality.

Nothing was so exciting when I was 13 or 14 than a John Galley goal, and the East End in full voice straight afterwards. No doubt he missed his share, and the EE was often subdued, but that's not how I remember him, and the EE, of course, was always tumultuous.  :chant6ez:

Shame we have to grow up really.  :(

It's not my account of McIlmoyle Phil, the stats are taken straight from 'Bristol City, The First 100 Years.'

No doubt our first City heroes when we were youngsters always seemed bigger, faster, jumped higher, scored more goals - absolutely incredible ones at that - never missed a sitter etc., than was the case in reality.

Nothing was so exciting when I was 13 or 14 than a John Galley goal, and the East End in full voice straight afterwards. No doubt he missed his share, and the EE was often subdued, but that's not how I remember him, and the EE, of course, was always tumultuous.  :chant6ez:

Shame we have to grow up really.  :(

I always remember Matt hill being able to jump 8ft

Shame we have to grow up really:(

No, we don't! Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

I mean, look a this forum...

I remember that game.

I was at home and me and my dad saw the result on telly and I said "I bet Galley got a hat trick".

Half an hour later I had run down to get in the queue to get the Green 'Un (no internet or mobiles kids). I sprinted back home, bashed through the door shouting "I told you - he got a hat trick".

Happy days.

Mind you, I think he got a hat trick on every debut for all (or most) of his clubs...

I was at Ashton Gate watching the Reserves so we got score updates on the tannoy that had been phoned back from Leeds Road, Huddersfield.

Archived