IGNORED

Everything Matt Smith (Merged)

Marina's Rolls Royce

1 in 4 is a decent return for a player just making the step up, and he has only had 3 appearences due to injury, if he was playing every game and scoring loads he wouldn't have been sent on loan, otherwise we may as well try and sign Costa on loan (don't tell me, your source has said he is joining in January in a swap with jet). The fact is smith may have missed a few chances yesterday (like baldock in the first half of last season) but he isn't at full match fitness and filling in for wilbs, how about waiting until a fit Smith gets a couple of games before writing him off as a load of shite

Smith was signed by Fulham, he was sent off on his debut, he played 2 more games and was on the bench 4 times before injured. He was dropped before he got injured. 

Fulham are not doing well, if he was good enough for their first team they would not have shipped him out on loan. They paid 800K for him this summer, and I would imagine are looking to recoup it as quick as possible.

Smith is not the type of striker we need and will never be the type of striker to score goals regularly.

We would have been better off going to a Premier League team and asking for a youngster who was scoring for fun in the reserves as a short term loan, than bringing in someone to try and get them fit !

It rather depends.

If he scores 2 tap ins out of a possible 6 and we win 2-1 I expect most will forgive him the 4 glaring misses..

If those 2 goals are 2 late consolation goals in a 3-2 defeat, having missed 4 easy chances before they scored, the opposite may be true.

A striker's goals tally doesn't tell the whole story.

I disagree, I think if he scores 2 tap ins out of 6 there will be another thread/several pages on this one saying he should have had a hat trick

It rather depends.

If he scores 2 tap ins out of a possible 6 and we win 2-1 I expect most will forgive him the 4 glaring misses..

If those 2 goals are 2 late consolation goals in a 3-2 defeat, having missed 4 easy chances before they scored, the opposite may be true.

A striker's goals tally doesn't tell the whole story.

Sounds like what ever he does you are going to rip him. Why wait til 5pm?

Sounds like what ever he does you are going to rip him. Why wait til 5pm?

Not at all, like every other City fan I hope he does well this afternoon.

That being the case I'll be delighted, and more than happy to give praise where praise is due.

I would love him to bang in  couple today and see where that takes this thread :)

If either are the winners- then I think the bitter taste of humble pie will be far exceeded by the sweet taste of victory and still top of the League. All the anti SC brigade last season are more than happy to have been so wrong.

Elliott had also not been played for months before joining and Cotterill was lambasted for the signing and there was a similar thread to this after his first game, so the comparison is valid

When Elliott played his first game we were bottom of the League and with a lot of very very pissed off fans. After 4 games Wade was a hero.

Matt Smith joined a side top of the League with a lot of very very happy fans and has got criticism after 4 games so the comparison is tenuous at best.

If either are the winners- then I think the bitter taste of humble pie will be far exceeded by the sweet taste of victory and still top of the League. All the anti SC brigade last season are more than happy to have been so wrong.

When Elliott played his first game we were bottom of the League and with a lot of very very pissed off fans. After 4 games Wade was a hero.

Matt Smith joined a side top of the League with a lot of very very happy fans and has got criticism after 4 games so the comparison is tenuous at best.

the situation with the players themselves is very similar in regards to fitness

The guy needs games, he could have had a hatful already in the games he has played.  When match fit,he will cause problems at this level,clearly even when not fully fit he can find space to get shots away.  the two goals are a nice bonus

• Admin

I haven't had the "pleasure" of witnessing any of Smith's performances due to work commitments so have been loathe to join the debate, but from following the Twitter updates during games it is clear he gets on the end of a lot of chances.

Maybe we will now start to see him put more away as he gets fitter?

Glad he is doing the business today. But I'm not going to retract the fact that up until now he didn't look like a striker in the physical condition he is/was in. He didn't look like a typical Cotterill signing, loan or otherwise. But hey, today it's working against Gillingham so delighted for him and us.

I haven't had the "pleasure" of witnessing any of Smith's performances due to work commitments but from following the Twitter updates during games it is clear he gets on the end of a lot of chances.

Maybe we will now start to see him put more away as he gets fitter?

The bottom line is will Wilbraham up to another full season next year, whatever league we find ourselves in and this guy 'fit' could be a good replacement.

Archived