IGNORED

Ched Evans

Real Red

Very true and I don't believe the joke has been deleted or edited in any way.

Dolly also has the right to voice her opinion of the joke which is exactly what she did.

Yes, but informed us it wasn't allowed.  I understand why but think, on reflection, it should be tolerated.

A sad day for football and for the majority of decent football fans who put issues such as rape to be more important than a few goals Oldham will live to regret this, they have ignored public opinion and have done the deal, how ironic that their leading lights in the Boardroom is a ex senior coppper, shame on you Oldham, I wish you the utmost misery.

And little Lee.... I would hope you come back here someday, **** 'em .    

A sad day for football and for the majority of decent football fans who put issues such as rape to be more important than a few goals Oldham will live to regret this, they have ignored public opinion and have done the deal, how ironic that their leading lights in the Boardroom is a ex senior coppper, shame on you Oldham, I wish you the utmost misery.

And little Lee.... I would hope you come back here someday, **** 'em .    

They are unimaginably short sighted.

This will unsettle the squad, alienate many fans and give the club a terrible association with rape for many years to come.  Sky/BBC won't touch their games.

They will be the butt of jokes and terrible abuse and all of their own making.

A club like Oldham doesn't have an abundance of support or popularity it can take for granted.  I will predict they will be in administration within the year.

They are unimaginably short sighted.

This will unsettle the squad, alienate many fans and give the club a terrible association with rape for many years to come.  Sky/BBC won't touch their games.

They will be the butt of jokes and terrible abuse and all of their own making.

A club like Oldham doesn't have an abundance of support or popularity it can take for granted.  I will predict they will be in administration within the year.

They could also lose a young, promising, manager. I think this is all being done without LJ's blessing.

If they get relegated, will they change the club's name to Oldham Down?

Hey that was mine!

Please, please, PLEASE can we just leave it with the rape related jokes.  Rape is not funny, nor should any jokes be made about it.

:(

Dolly, do you seriously think that people think rape is funny? I laughed at a Jimmy Saville joke the other day. Does that mean I am pro peadophilia?

They could also lose a young, promising, manager. I think this is all being done without LJ's blessing.

I'm sure you are right.

LJ has his Dad's experience to call upon.  GJ has seen plenty in the game and I'm sure - even if LJ can't - his Dad will have given him the right advice on this one.  i.e. "don't associate yourself with this debacle as it will follow you forever"

Hey that was mine!

Dolly, do you seriously think that people think rape is funny? I laughed at a Jimmy Saville joke the other day. Does that mean I am pro peadophilia?

It's a fundamental part of the human condition to make jokes out of unpleasant subject matter, it in no way means you approve of the source material.

The trouble is that this is a public forum, people can be offended by these jokes, and you need to make a judgement call on whether you feel posting them is appropriate or not.

If you see no problem with posting them, then don't be surprised when people get offended!

I think he will try to line a club up for the summer. he isn't a cert to walk into a new club if he resigns now.

True, recall he's been very smart investing his wages from playing career in houses etc... so money isn't the main issue for him in terms of walking away either.

I thought the Oldham fans were magnificent at Ashton Gate- best away fans this season imo.

I like Gary Johnson for all the good things and I have always respected Lee - youngest manager in the League and like Mark Cooper showing inherited talent as a manager.

Right now- I genuinely feel very sorry for the lot of them. The Oldham fans will be tainted wherever they go away and I don't think they deserve that and certainly haven't asked for it.

However well Evans plays - my god he is going to get some of the most aggressive vile abuse ever given to a footballer in this country(*). He and football should have waited for his appeal to run its course. If his conviction turns out to be overturned or unsafe then I still think he's not a good person. His actions were unpleasant generally.

Edit (*) and try explaining that to your young kids attending the match. Wrong wrong wrong

Can't be bothered to trawl through the pages to so apologies if it's already been mentioned, but with the amount of flak Evans has taken from the media and public in general, I cant help but think the they are going over the top. Sky Sports news mention his name every 5 minutes, yet others have got off very lightly in comparison. There's a video of Nile Ranger repeatedly hitting a woman, however she never came forward so he didn't get a sentence. He's also served jail sentences and been arrested numerous times for nearly every crime possible bar murder, yet when Swindon/Blackpool signed him there wasn't a whisper about it from the media. Luke McCormick was also able to walk back into football relatively unnoticed. Arguably what these have done is worse than Evans, so why is such a HUGE deal being made about it? Because he's a better footballer than Ranger? Not right for me, if the media are going to hound players with a criminal record then they should be consistent in doing so.

Can't be bothered to trawl through the pages to so apologies if it's already been mentioned, but with the amount of flak Evans has taken from the media and public in general, I cant help but think the they are going over the top. Sky Sports news mention his name every 5 minutes, yet others have got off very lightly in comparison. There's a video of Nile Ranger repeatedly hitting a woman, however she never came forward so he didn't get a sentence. He's also served jail sentences and been arrested numerous times for nearly every crime possible bar murder, yet when Swindon/Blackpool signed him there wasn't a whisper about it from the media. Luke McCormick was also able to walk back into football relatively unnoticed. Arguably what these have done is worse than Evans, so why is such a HUGE deal being made about it? Because he's a better footballer than Ranger? Not right for me, if the media are going to hound players with a criminal record then they should be consistent in doing so.

Sorry- but I suggest you trawl through the pages. You'll find a lot of valid points some answering your post in full.

Its a bit like looking at a disparaging comment on an OP about a player and then ignoring the 11 pages of debate and two weeks later saying- "well that's a bit over the top".

I'm not sure any of Ranger's crimes are comparable. He's just misunderstood.

I suggest you get your facts straight before accusing Ranger of things on a public forum that aren't true. A simple Google search will show you what he has actually been convicted of and that he hasn't ever been to jail. Being arrested and being convicted are two different things.

Archived