IGNORED

Bristol Sport To Release Stadium Fly-Through Video

CyderInACan

Have you been? It feels like one of those really modern airports, with all the atmosphere of one too.

It's an architectural "virtual" representation and if you've seen many of those you'll know they don't tend to capture the essence of what somewhere will look like on match day - how could they?

For those opposed to the rebuild: what do you want? A gerrybuilt 70s/80s hybrid of a stadium. Or somewhere that looks like a decent, fit-for-purpose modern stadium that'll get us all in and out quicker, accommodate bigger crowds and earn the club more money off the pitch?

I took a supporter of another club along today and he was very impressed with how things are looking here.

Have you been? It feels like one of those really modern airports, with all the atmosphere of one too.

I've been. Purely from an architectural point of view it's a beauty. As for atmosphere, I suspect if you stuck it in the middle of Istanbul and played Galatasaray v Fernebanhe there, they might manage to make some noise. More to do with Arsenal fans "Highbury library" reputation.

It's a bowl and modern therefore zero atmosphere and fan experience...........

I'm taking it you didnt attend the MK Dons games then? That game proved that an atmosphere can be made in a modern day "bowl". I've never bought into this "acoustics" rubbish.

I'm taking it you didnt attend the MK Dons games then? That game proved that an atmosphere can be made in a modern day "bowl". I've never bought into this "acoustics" rubbish.

MK was nothing to write home about v that inspiring away day at Charlton.

The point made by fans is backed up by visit after visit to bowls, they do not provide that same tight edgy atmosphere. It is part of the why fans moved into the Eastend, and Mr Lansdown called the stand a success. If it sounds great fans move to the area that most fits their idea of half decent, or great.

The design is what it is. Fans cannot make it what it is not. Some good ideas on here regarding the concourse. What are needed are ideas that galvanise the noisy support not fracture it.

I've been. Purely from an architectural point of view it's a beauty. As for atmosphere, I suspect if you stuck it in the middle of Istanbul and played Galatasaray v Fernebanhe there, they might manage to make some noise. More to do with Arsenal fans "Highbury library" reputation.

When i was back in the UK for a stretch i had a season ticket at the Emirates for 2 years.. comes from my family way back in the 1890's making the first batch of corner flags and a whole bunch of us still having a soft spot for them even though Brizzle is where our heart is now.. so I have some pretty decent knowledge of the place and here is my take.. the atmosphere that the stadium can create is not the issue.. what was (or still is) often the problem was that the Arsenal faithful themselves tended not to be the most noisy of fans. I know this because at some matches it was rather quiet and at others, when some noisy away fans filled the away section, their noise would reverberate the stadium. And, on occasion, Arsenal fans made some noise and the it was loud, very very loud.

I still prefer the design of Ashton Vale though.

Bowl stadia are very aesthetically pleasing. I doubt there is a nicer looking stadium in England than the Emirates! However, to me a bowl is very sowless and all look fairly similar to eachother so I'd much rather a stadium like what we are building.

In terms of the 'no atmosphere at a bowl stadium' argument. In case you haven't noticed a stadium doesn't produce any noise itself; that is down to the fans. No matter the stadium a group of vocal fans can make a good atmosphere. MK Dons being an example; we made a great atmosphere for large periods of the game and to be fair to the MK Dons fans, a fairly small group of them at the other end of the ground were making a decent noise as well. In fact the majority of bowls are actually the perfect design for acoustics, with no gaps for sound to escape and a well designed roof to keep the noise in.

Finally, as for the negativity over the fly through video (albeit obviously a minority); I'm very surprised! Thought the new ground was a stunner! Modern, not bowl like, a bit of individuality and still red with modern concourses etc. I'm 'chuffed' with the outcome and if it looks anything like that when built I'll be over the moon!

• SC&T Board Members

Getting back to the 'fly-thro', I loved it and and certainly wouldn't want to be associated with any of the negativity on here (BS don't own it and BCFC certainly don't rent it) but I remain a little perplexed at the lack of big screens in the ground.  Surely these are an integral part of any modern stadium development, especially so given the TMO requirements of Premiership rugby.  I know 3 screens have been mentioned, but only 1 visible from the pitch, on the roof of the Atyeo, it doesn't appear on the video and has always seemed like a bit of a 'stick-on' afterthought, not even to be ready at the time of the stadium fully opening. 

I'm afraid that is precisely the relationship between BCFC and the stadium. The club is merely one of (currently) two tenants of a stadium wholly operated by BS, who are also responsible for all corporate/commercial activity within it and for any other events it may stage. None of this is any longer directly linked to the FC.

It's not a situation that need concern us unduly while the Lansdown family are involved, as I'm sure they only have benevolent intentions in mind. But there will come a day when, for whatever reason, they are no longer involved and the current structure would appear to make it a lot easier than before for an owner with other ideas to pick and choose which parts to favour and which to leave to fend for themselves. An FC at that stage with nothing more than a tenancy agreement with an unfriendly landlord would not be in a very healthy position.

In fact the majority of bowls are actually the perfect design for acoustics, with no gaps for sound to escape and a well designed roof to keep the noise in.

!

In fact that is an opinion.

Old style stands were perfect for noize.

But like the Led Zeppelin hairstyle of the acoustician who said the EE had brilliant acoustics they are not coming back.

I'm afraid that is precisely the relationship between BCFC and the stadium. The club is merely one of (currently) two tenants of a stadium wholly operated by BS, who are also responsible for all corporate/commercial activity within it and for any other events it may stage. None of this is any longer directly linked to the FC.

It's not a situation that need concern us unduly while the Lansdown family are involved, as I'm sure they only have benevolent intentions in mind. But there will come a day when, for whatever reason, they are no longer involved and the current structure would appear to make it a lot easier than before for an owner with other ideas to pick and choose which parts to favour and which to leave to fend for themselves. An FC at that stage with nothing more than a tenancy agreement with an unfriendly landlord would not be in a very healthy position.

Exactly.

People getting on their high horse are missing the point.  The structure is ok for BCFC only so long as the owners want the best for BCFC.

There is no problem at the moment because the Lansdowns do want this.

Exactly.

People getting on their high horse are missing the point.  The structure is ok for BCFC only so long as the owners want the best for BCFC.

I think the reason some of us are missing the point is because so much irrelevant nonsense is posted on the subject, scarves etc. I have read so many posts moaning about Bristol Sport and Blagdon Reds is the first one I've seen which has actually highlighted something that I can see as a potential issue. Maybe if people stuck to important points and didn't try to derail every thread then people wouldn't need to get on these high horses of theirs.

Anyway, stadium looks lovely. :)

Given that the current owners do want the best for BCFC, and presumably for the long term not just now, can they build something into the 'tenancy agreement' to protect BCFC in the future? For example,  'the ground must always be made available to BCFC, not sold without explicit consent of BCFC, any rent payable must be in line with BCFC income, the ground must be sold to BCFC in the event the owner wishes to sell off etc'  

The point is that the current set up is the worst of two worlds. It's an ageing stadium with inadequate facilities, overseen by suits with no idea what makes a real football fan.

The first of these issues is being dealt with. The new stadium will be fit for purpose and even quite impressive.

It is now time for the second issue to be dealt with.

The suits seem to have a view of crowd behaviour that is incompatible with at least a sizeable minority of City's regular support. It doesn't help that SL is several hundred miles away, but someone has to bang their heads together and get suits and fans singing from the same songbook.

When we have a capacity of 11,000 and are running away with the division, it's not so obvious, but these are the fans who will be there when we have a 27,000 capacity and things are falling apart on the pitch. (As they inevitably will at some point - that's football)

In fact that is an opinion.

Old style stands were perfect for noize.

But like the Led Zeppelin hairstyle of the acoustician who said the EE had brilliant acoustics they are not coming back.

I agree with you, there was nothing better for acoustics than an EE style stand however stadia will progress and develop and that sort of structure will die out sadly.

I think the reason some of us are missing the point is because so much irrelevant nonsense is posted on the subject, scarves etc. I have read so many posts moaning about Bristol Sport and Blagdon Reds is the first one I've seen which has actually highlighted something that I can see as a potential issue. Maybe if people stuck to important points and didn't try to derail every thread then people wouldn't need to get on these high horses of theirs.

Anyway, stadium looks lovely. :)

Scarves, scarves!

Now you've mentioned it....

Minor issues agreed but PR gaffes from a organisation staffed by PR, marketing and communication types makes me think ithey may be a wee waste of money.

Exactly.

Spot on, it was not that long ago that a rebuild of AG "WAS NOT AN OPTION" according to many fans and SL now its the dogs wotsits.

Things change never mind yearly, monthly, weekly........ with BS daily.

Fans want to know what is what and that its home, badge, colour etc is safe and secure for many generations to come.

There is a big difference though between though between 'operating' and even 'being responsible for activity' and 'owning'.  It's the latter that puts you in a tenant/landlord relationship with all that brings.  BS don't own anything.  I believe I'm right in saying that the new stadium, like the old one, with be owned by Bristol City Holdings Limited, an organisation effectively co-terminus with Bristol City Football Club.  Of course, that still makes us heavily dependent on the Lansdown's, but no more so than before and certainly not tenants. 

Scarves, scarves!

Now you've mentioned it....

Minor issues agreed but PR gaffes from a organisation staffed by PR, marketing and communication types makes me think ithey may be a wee waste of money.

The trouble us that they're PR types used to having public relations with people like themselves, not with football fans.

Archived