IGNORED

Bristol Sport To Release Stadium Fly-Through Video

CyderInACan

That video looks absolutely brilliant. In no way is it a waste of money. Even if we sell zero corporate seats or boxes from it, providing all the fans with a very tangible vision of what we can look forward to is benefit enough. Only a few months ago all the Bristol Sport whingers and moaners were saying communication was terrible and we didn't even know what the colour of the seats was going to be (even then anyone with two brain cells to knock together knew they were red) and now BS have come out with the best 'communication' I have ever seen from them (or just about anyone I can actually think of). It is brilliant and reminds of why we are putting up with the odd hindrance this season and next; it will be worth it in the end! The Bristol Sport project will also be worth it in the long run, in my opinion.

The fears of losing our identity and being racked with others' debts are wide of the mark and here is why. We all know the major sports brands (Adidas, Puma et al) rip off the lower clubs massively but by supplying the kits ourselves we save this money. It is probably not cost-effective to do this for just BCFC, bring in the rugby club and perhaps the other clubs in the stable and it starts paying for itself. Additionally we get shirts of our choice (with a unique identity one might say). Those same fans whinging about BS are the ones that wanted the Purple and Lime to return to show the club listened to the fans' wishes. Without BS there is no way we would have had that kit. Bristol Sport have provided us with a very unique identity right there, and saved us money in the process. Bravo!

As many others have pointed out we need to more than double our home attendance over the next 18 months so the stadium starts paying for itself (and the rugby club need to triple theirs). We can't do that by getting 12,000 'ultras'. The club has to attract a different kind of fan. Providing the club allow for us Eastenders to have somewhere to sing and shout and cheer on the team in our inimitable way that will be fine but we can't expect the club to defy the powers that be and introduce safe standing, alcohol in our seats, flares on the terraces and anything we might want. I'd wager most of the fans who enjoy that sort of thing already go as regularly as they can to watch City or NLBR (poor sods). Therefore, we have to attract new fans and that is primarily going to come in the form of families. Families who now are interested in sport in the region but unlikely to be interested in the dark days of football hooliganism, with which the word 'ultra' has become linked through European hooligans nowadays. Most casual observers of the game won't be familiar with differences. Those fans, you might think would be part of 8 million that watched us against WHU on MOTD. Seeing a flag with Ultras emblazoned on it smack in the middle of the screen is not going to help the club. Without going into all over again, I'm sure if it was behind the standing section in the Williams the club would have had no issue. Anyway, it is just a flag. 

On the topic of the WHU game two other points come to mind: bubbles and scarves. With the bubbles, the club looked at the possibility of getting them to come along to add to the atmosphere and make it better. Personally I don't see much wrong with it, especially as we need to attract more away fans in the coming years to sell-out the entire Atyeo. The counter argument of making AG into a fortress and giving nothing to your opponents whilst appearing attractive is flawed. There were just over 10k City fans in there that day in three stands. It wasn't going to be a fortress and allowing the WHU fans to look at their pretty bubbles (or whatever they do with them) wouldn't have affected the atmosphere of that day. The club didn't handle the PR side of it well but so what, it wasn't like they suggested us playing in the 'famous' blue and white quarters. They thought about an idea and changed their minds - calm down.

As for the scarves, I personally thought it was a great idea. I know some people cry themselves to sleep at night at the thought of getting a free scarf from the club with our kit supplier's name/logo on it but I thought it was brilliant. The prominence of the BS logo and 'branding' is a good thing. BS makes us different from other clubs, it gives us far greater opportunities (the kit, the bus etc.). If we continue in the direction of sharing with the other clubs it will surely be a good thing. if we share the training facilities that will cut costs, and in the days of every-stricter financial rules that can only be good.

The only way sport in Bristol is going to progress is by sharing overheads so by combining our advertising and marketing and even getting the fans from the different teams in the stable to support each other the benefits start to rack up. At the minute there just aren't enough fans to make it work so we need to advertise more. This means the BS name and logo appears all over the place, perhaps where it shouldn't be in the eyes of some, but it is new. Many people out in the big wide world away from BS3 haven't heard of Bristol Sport. Some people still call us 'Bristol' as they're not aware there used to be two teams, and some even more misguided northern folk have been known to think we're R*vers. If 7 or 8 decades of Football League rivalry isn't enough for football fans to learn our name then who knows how long it will take for other people to get the hang of the BS thing. We need to spread the word and spread it quickly, hence its prominence.

And another reason for seeing that logo everywhere is that given the construction site something had to go up to keep the ball hitting the Shedman with every wayward shot, so they took the opportunity to do a bit of branding. They didn't tear down any uniquely BCFC badges and put the BS one up instead (admittedly the took the glorious East End down but I think it had had its place and its replacement is better placed for the journey ahead, although the four seats the old stand are still proudly at home!). They're building us a new home (which we aren't renting) and are promoting all their clubs in order that the new ground is full. People fear the architecture will make it soulless. If the current attendances are in the new ground it will be soulless even with the best acoustics this side of Royal Albert Hall; we need to get more people through the turnstiles.

We need more fans. Some will come through the football, but unless we get back to back promotions we won't get close to selling out when the new ground is finished without taking proactive steps. For now this means seeing Bristol Sport advertised everywhere, it means rugby fans and basketball fans getting ticket priority. We need them just as much as they need us. And if this means through my ST I can watch a rugby game for free or at a discount every now and again then so much the better. BS's basic plan is clearly to get everyone in Bristol who likes sport going to AG every weekend regardless of which team is playing. This extra income will allow us all to be successful.

Today's fly-through video is another example of the excellent job the club are doing at the minute and is another aspect to get excited about. Bristol Sport are taking us on an exciting journey. The journey may have some pot-holes and small deviations along the way, but we're heading in the right direction. In the grand scheme the PR hiccoughs are nothing compared to the other benefits we stand to gain, so let's put away the petty and unreasoned arguments and look forward to our new home and unique identity.

This is our club:

bristol-city-football-club-1317804625-la

This is eroding our identity:

bristol-sport1.png

Just to make the point, you're already confusing the two.

Eroding our identity? I've listed these before but I'll do it again:-

- We are still called Bristol City Football Club

- We still have the same club crest on our shirts

- We still play at Ashton Gate

- We still wear red

- We have a purple and lime away shirt that the fans asked for and is unique to us

- The stadium has and will still have red seats

- Our programme is still called Well Red

- We were given red and white scarves with Bristol City written on them

So how exactly is our identity being eroded?

- We still wear red

- We have a purple and lime away shirt that the fans asked for and is unique to us

And, no one outside Bristol knows of, or CARES about Bristol Sport !  

Fans create the atmosphere though not the stadium structure.

We're not in a 'soulless bowl' now, we're playing amazing football and top of the league and still 90% of the time you can hear a pin drop at Ashton Gate!

Agree about it not looking identical to everywhere else but Emirates is a great example of a modern stadium that doesn't look like an identi-kit of the rest but still has that 'inclusive' feel to it. Same with the Etihad.

Either way I'm sure it's going to be fantastic! I just think it looks a smidge....odd...at one end!

I agree it does look a bit odd, especially because the Atyeo won't line up with the pitch anymore, but I like odd!

At least everyone will know it's the Gate.

I'm not going deep in to the business model of Bristol Sport but more about the decorators, there you go my little moan is a drop in the ocean but meaningful to some :innocent06:

The pictures in the fly through seem too modern for a traditional stand and more older history needed including all types of city past badges, player legends and fans. Yes it is a basic guide but using the word tradition you need more Wedlock than Woolford. yes include all decades but if you call it Traditional? well use Tradition.

FANS!!!

10931448_392075204308268_452634330058179

Not just the South stand but the Dolman could have a few pictures made up like the set up at Willem, how about pictured drink shelf dividers?..

AG28_zpsmwbyjjqw.jpg

Take the above and add something like this x the style of the Williams Legends.

2003_0105pics0015.jpg

2003_0105pics0009.jpg

2003_0105pics0010.jpg

Well just spent nearly a day with this buffering and got to just over one minute. All I hope is that a) can see the match and b) they have a good choice of beers......................will await the finished product...absolute faith in SL. Once completed Steve, please bring Fast Broadband to rural Somerset . :farmer:

The picture of the Dolman concourse could be Cribbs Causeway. Needs more of the Bristol City "brand!"

Fair comment, and it does look a little like an airport booking in lobby, but I suspect at this stage it will not pick up fine detail. It is that fine detail which will of course bring it to life.

- We still wear red

Spot the difference:

ls.jpg

284978_140301.jpg

I won't give you a geeky definition of 'erosion' just to say, it doesn't happen exactly.  It is gradual.

The Chairman of the Supporters Club/Trust does not understand the need for the visibility of Bristol Sport on Bristol City match days at Ashton Gate (whether this is the official line, I don't know) but he is not a minority rebel group, he shares these objections.

What is the "serious problem" with Bristol Sport RZ?

As I see it, Bristol Sport comprises the various sports clubs owned and operated by Steve Lansdown. To me that makes commercial sense as if it enables all such clubs to benefit by being part of a group , rather than being out there on their own, then surely that's a good thing.

Notwithstanding Bristol Sport, Bristol City, as a football club and as a team, continues to be an individual entity with it's own unique identity. SL is a pretty shrewd businessman , who probably does very little unless it's in the best interest of the Lansdown family, and why should that not be the case as it's his money after all. I also suspect that as far as we are concerned he does very little unless it's in the best interests, and to secure the long term future of Bristol City FC.

Do I think that Steve Lansdown would sell the football club down the river and leave us in the lurch financially and will Bristol Sport help him do this? No.

Do I think that Steve Lansdown plans to build a legacy so that he can see Bristol City FC and Bristol Rugby being successfully run by the Lansdown family long after he is gone and will Bristol Sport help this to be acheived? Yes.

In light of that, would he make any commercial decisions that would have an adverse impact on the football club? No

Do I anticipate seeing a team in red playing at Ashton Gate in the football league/championship/premier league any time soon and called Bristol Sport? No

Am I being naive or failing to see the blindingly obvious? Possibly, but I am more than happy if any posters who have not had the wool pulled over their eyes can put me straight.

Refreshing to get a polite reply. Thank you.

Here we go:

I referred to BS as...er BS (I'll try and keep this post clean) because that is what I think it is. If an elephant walks into my house dressed in a bikini, I will not believe it is a Mini Metro just because someone tells me so.

Why is BS BS? 

1. There is no stable of sports clubs. Only Bristol City and Bristol Rugby, and some worthless club whose name begins with "Bristol" serving as window dressing.

2. Practically everything I have read published by BS has been, shall we say, er... BS.

3. BS pretends one minute to be a sportswear manufacturer, the next a stadium rebuild supervisor. I don't believe that they do everything they say they do.

4. The "rationale" behind BS at the beginning was to offer a multi-sport package to potential sponsors. That's absurd. You should do as real multi-sports clubs such as Real Madrid and Barcelona, and offer each of your teams to the highest bidder. 

5. Why brand BS? There is no point. If there had been, the SC&T would have been told why. They've asked several times and had no reply.

6. Who are BS branding to? Supposedly to potential sponsors, I think. Most of what they do, however, is B2C, not B2B. Again, it's absurd.

7. What business rationale could there possibly be for branding in such a high-profile manner something that is basically a back-office dept with a commercial role? From another point of view, after all this "branding spend", what will the BS brand be worth? When you take away the value of the City and the rugby brands, you're left with very little or nothing. With all the money they're splashing out, plus the collateral damage to the real brands, plus the opportunity cost of not having real sponsors' money coming in, I would expect that BS will be an expensive extravagance.

8. Co-branding: you can't co-brand Bristol City and Bristol Sport. It just doesn't work. Bristol Sport is Bristol City anyway, with the rugby. It's a mess. BS is trying to piggy back BCFC and could end up smothering it. Co-brands have to be complementary, they can't cancel each other out or one stifle the other.

9. It's quite ironic that this BS brand is being splashed around everywhere for no reason but when people object to City's name being obscured, it's treated as irrevelevant. In sport, identity is practically everything. It's not to be fiddled with. I really don't think they thought this through before launching this venture.

10. The Barcelona connection. The main differences between BS  and FC Barcelona: a) all the teams (they have loads) are branded "FC Barcelona" - there is no "Catalunya Sport" uberbrand; b) each team has a different sponsor; c) decisions are taken by FCB's members (around 170,000 of them) through a General Assembly, BS's decisions are taken by the members of the Lansdown family (3, if my calculations are correct).

11. Have you noticed how all the good things at BCFC are now attributed to BS? Some people do not have a problem with that. I think it's appalling. Before Dave Lloyd did a Reggie Perrin and left us all in the lurch, he posted one of the most inflammatory comments I have ever read on here. He said that City's victory at the weekend and position at the top of the division (together with the rugby boys' success) was "what Bristol Sport is all about". Now, that is definitely the first time in our proud club's history that our on the field success has been attributed to a different organisation. That's taking the BS a tad too far.

Similarly, Ashton Gate is being rebuilt. Ashton Gate!!!! Who's getting the credit? Who's posting the videos? Again, some people find this perfectly normal. I don't. I think it's appalling too. Particularly bearing in mind all the above.

Spot the difference:

ls.jpg

284978_140301.jpg

I won't give you a geeky definition of 'erosion' just to say, it doesn't happen exactly.  It is gradual.

The Chairman of the Supporters Club/Trust does not understand the need for the visibility of Bristol Sport on Bristol City match days at Ashton Gate (whether this is the official line, I don't know) but he is not a minority rebel group, he shares these objections.

What I see is a crumbling mausoleum (top) and a much needed state of the art 21st century stadium (bottom).

Well I was expecting somebody to misinterpret the point.

This is a brand name 'Bristol City Football Club' vs 'Bristol Sport' debate, just to specify.

Surely there would not be one without the other, my feeling is that some people hanker for us being a run of the mill league 1 club, buckets out at all home games to pay for the next impending disaster, wading ankle deep in piss in toilets, missing key moments of games because of the pillars, but hey i'm sure the guys who started FC United of Manchester are enjoying themselves and of course have never darkened the doorstep of Old Trafford ever, just to specify.

Just a quick point re: complaints about internal concourse etc.

Could it not possibly be that the disclaimer ("Please note that the video is for illustrative purposes only and may not necessarily reflect the final build and fit-out") is referring to the fact that it is open for discussion, and will not be finalised until a constructive consultation process on it has taken place (bearing in mind they're not about to start bringing in the painters & decorators next week or anything), as opposed to some conspiracy cop-out along the lines of "it may not look very good in reality"..?

Apologies if I've misinterpreted any of the comments about their disclaimer, but I'm pretty sure there have been insinuations that it "sounds dodgy", as it were.

Fact is, when assessing the internal decor, bear that disclaimer in mind and maybe try and view it in a positive light.

(This is obviously in no way directed to those people who have put forward constructive ideas about such issues, and will be putting them in front of the club, I'm sure.)

Greetings from the north of the river. That looks rather impressive. I never was too keen on the Ashton Vale design, and not just because I'm a member of the blue few. The new Williams will make it very distinctive and if the finishes shown are up to scratch, you will have something to be very proud of.

Shame about the now rather out of place looking Atyeo, but time and money can eventually change that.  After all, SL doesn't seem to be short of either.

Now I must be off, the pasty huts need a lick of paint!

Disappointed they didn't have a line of punters slashing against a wall, with a parallel line of coppers &; stewards looking on.

Just like the old East End.

Back in the day...

Ok right next to a ten foot wide picture of fans on the pitch in 76, Alan Walsh hand aloft, Murray at Ninian Park, the history of a club that are still Lords of their own traditions.

Archived