IGNORED

Idiots

cityinblackburn

Actually my sons were set upon for being in the wrong pub in February. Literally thrown out with one suffering concussion head wounds, and a broken front tooth. The police did nothing and will do nothing, they are so scared they might have to do a report or actual detective work.

That's why the streets are 'owned' by the louts.

I hate Boozed Up Britain culture, I have had my fare share of pub crawls etc, but never did I or my mates act like the thugs that seem to be the norm at the moment.

We're talking about wembley, which your words mayhem and carnage hardly apply. If the actions of the people described are correct then rightly they should be appropriately condemned but also it's important not to blow up some isolated drunken behaviour to sound like some widespread hooligsnism problem

Go ahead, take the mic centre circle...good luck.

I could have guessed you'd be the first drip to bite.

I was about 12/13 at the time of her death and would sit in Dolman B where it was sang a lot more back then. Being completely honest, when i asked even then why we sing it i was told it was because she was a city fan. I've always felt it as more of a tribute than "vile" or "sick" or some of the other ludicrous terms people have been coming out with. Still sang it at Wembley, Still sing it at every home & away game if it gets going.

Next we won't be able to sing "my old man..."  Crazy times.

We're talking about wembley, which your words mayhem and carnage hardly apply. If the actions of the people described are correct then rightly they should be appropriately condemned but also it's important not to blow up some isolated drunken behaviour to sound like some widespread hooligsnism problem

You're right, for the most part it was nothing like hooliganism.

But it did shine a light on the tedious, cultureless, disrespectful scum that fills this country.  I'm not ashamed to say I live out in the sticks where, most often, people look out for each other and people exist in an atmosphere where there is very little to worry about.

The average bloke in the street is fast becoming a knuckle-dragging simpleton, wears too much hair gel, is loutish and god only knows which sartorial school they attend - they're all exact copies of one another and are a ******* pain in the a rse to be around.

The rest are very nice people indeed.

I was about 12/13 at the time of her death and would sit in Dolman B where it was sang a lot more back then. Being completely honest, when i asked even then why we sing it i was told it was because she was a city fan. I've always felt it as more of a tribute than "vile" or "sick" or some of the other ludicrous terms people have been coming out with. Still sang it at Wembley, Still sing it at every home & away game if it gets going.

Next we won't be able to sing "my old man..."  Crazy times.

A tribute about her being shot in the head? Think I have read it all now...

This thread is leaving me a little bemused.

I'm not sure how anyone can fail to have sympathy with fellow City fans finding themselves at one of the bigger games in our history stuck sat with a bunch of folk who've drunk rather too much and are oblivious to their impact on everyone else. I'm sure we've all experienced that either at matches or travelling to and from them. Trains can be a nightmare. So I'm amazed that some on here feel that the onus is on people who can take their drink to police those who can't.

And as for the Jill Dando song, I've never heard it. New to me. I've supported City in every season since she was killed and been to the majority of matches home and away in three of the past eight seasons...never heard it once. So I'd suggest that it's not a central part of any City supporting experience. As someone who worked at the BBC at the time of her death I can say that no one ever had a bad word to say about Jill. Given that her brother attends matches I'm struggling to think of a more inappropriate subject for a song sung by City fans.

It seems to me as if the original poster had his day spoiled by the drunk supporters.

If they ruined his day (whether or not you believe being drunk and singing about Jill Dando is part of football), surely he is entitled to his opinion?

And as football is enjoyed by numerous people of different ages, I think it is fair to assume what you do while watching football changes.  A few have mentioned already they used to get drunk etc.

At football stadiums there are sections of the ground where like minded fans can sit.   Not so easy to achieve for a one off game at Wembley.

So I don't think there is an easy or obvious answer (except report the drunk chap).   But I am surprised at how many people seem to lack any empathy towards fellow human beings.  Which in my opinion is even more concerning.

• Admin

So we are talking about 20-30 people out of near enough 40,000 who in some way over stepped the mark!!

Let's get this into perspective for all our sanity

It wasn't a mass act of violence, just a VERY small number of people

As usual it is the same posters picking up this issue - as many were the same saying how the "Ultra" flag was wrong a few weeks back!!

I do wonder what goes through the mind set of some people?!?, the old phrase making a mountain of a mole hill certainly springs to mind in this thread. .

Next we won't be able to sing "my old man..." Crazy times.

You are aware, as a near thirty year old "man", that there is a big difference between singing jovially about a real person dying, being shot in the head, tit, snatch and the other vile shite that was spouted, and a fictional situation about your father suggesting you may want to support the rovers... Please tell me there is SOME hope for you.

We are all waiting to hear just how this song, with or without the bits added on at Wembley, can ever be seen as anything other than distasteful.

You're right about one thing though, because when people try to defend this, these are indeed crazy times.

So we are talking about 20-30 people out of near enough 40,000 who in some way over stepped the mark!!

As usual it is the same posters picking up this issue - as many were the same saying how the "Ultra" flag was wrong a few weeks back!!

I do wonder what goes through the mind set of some people?!?, the old phrase making a mountain of a mole hill certainly springs to mind in this thread. .

Perspective? You won't find that here

Yes but that doesn't mean it should be swept under the carpet. These morons ruined a day for many fans who have spent a lot of money to watch their team.

Yeah of course it necessary to point out some of this behaviour comes from fans getting too drunk from only having a 2 hour window to drink with the travel and stadium restrictions. That there is a irony in the thought that if there was a loud atmosphere and everyone was out of their seats, much worse things could have been happening and they would have gone unnoticed.

On the other hand you only have to look back to Victorian times to see that transitions in attitudes towards violence and masculinity do happen. That isn't too extreme to suggest we're probably due one now.

You are aware, as a near thirty year old "man", that there is a big difference between singing jovially about a real person dying, being shot in the head, tit, snatch and the other vile shite that was spouted, and a fictional situation about your father suggesting you may want to support the rovers... Please tell me there is SOME hope for you.

We are all waiting to hear just how this song, with or without the bits added on at Wembley, can ever be seen as anything other than distasteful.

You're right about one thing though, because when people try to defend this, these are indeed crazy times.

I'm just saying my personal experience with this song hasn't ever been in a way associated with being distasteful. If it wasn't for this thread i wouldn't have realised people have such an issue with it, and why its taken 16 years for someone to make a point about it.

I'm just saying my personal experience with this song hasn't ever been in a way associated with being distasteful. If it wasn't for this thread i wouldn't have realised people have such an issue with it, and why its taken 16 years for someone to make a point about it.

• Admin

Yes but that doesn't mean it should be swept under the carpet. These morons ruined a day for many fans who have spent a lot of money to watch their team.

No one is saying sweep it under the carpet !!

About 1% of people played up, and only a very small handful on here were actually affected. So since when did so many become the voice of others ?

Like I said the usual people are jumping on the same bandwagon making mountains out of molehills !

Just look at the Dando comments NOBODY has said it was / is acceptable, if anything it has had quite the opposite response but still the same people churn out the same comments - they are starting to get very boring now. . ..

Thank god the next game is fast approaching so people will move onto something else to debate

• Admin

Yeah of course it necessary to point out some of this behaviour comes from fans getting too drunk from only having a 2 hour window to drink with the travel and stadium restrictions.

I wonder if I was at the same venue?

Didn't see any travel or stadium restrictions to give someone only a 2 hour window to drink ?

My old man was indeed a Rovers fan, and did try and get me to support them.  Can I still sing?

• Admin

My old man was indeed a Rovers fan, and did try and get me to support them.  Can I still sing?

Depends if you said "F*** Off, B****** you're a C*** " otherwise the song is factually incorrect and not sure it should be deemed appropriate :blink:

Depends if you said "**** Off, B****** you're a C*** " otherwise the song is factually incorrect and not sure it should be deemed appropriate :blink:

It has been a few years, so not sure if I used all of those words.  Then again, at aged 8 I am not sure I actually knew all of them.  Sheltered childhood and all that.

Why not use "Go away , Scrotum, You're a Female Genital"........much more PC version

More PC, but not anatomically correct:  the scrotum is the sac in which the testicles are held.  Don't give up your day job, unless your day job is Head of Testicular Oncology at BRI.  Then you need to rethink your career choice.

No one is saying sweep it under the carpet !!

About 1% of people played up, and only a very small handful on here were actually affected. So since when did so many become the voice of others ?

Like I said the usual people are jumping on the same bandwagon making mountains out of molehills !

Just look at the Dando comments NOBODY has said it was / is acceptable, if anything it has had quite the opposite response but still the same people churn out the same comments - they are starting to get very boring now. . ..

Thank god the next game is fast approaching so people will move onto something else to debate

I'm not sure what your point is, other than playing with semantics.

If you've had your day spoilt by others then does it matter whether you call it one thing or the other?

And if it was 1% of people in the City end playing up then that was around 400 people.  That's a decent number of drunken losers.

I'll stop short of saying my day was spoilt.  I had a great time with the nipper, but I was embarrassed by the antics by BCFC fans around my disabled area while chatting to the very helpful stewards and staff.

They won't be appearing on University Challenge any time soon.  And while I'm at it, chaps - please don't wear white trainers that can't be used for sport.  You just look like another t*** from the conveyor belt of Pot Noodle eating numpties.

I'm not sure what your point is, other than playing with semantics.

If you've had your day spoilt by others then does it matter whether you call it one thing or the other?

And if it was 1% of people in the City end playing up then that was around 400 people. That's a decent number of drunken losers.

I'll stop short of saying my day was spoilt. I had a great time with the nipper, but I was embarrassed by the antics by BCFC fans around my disabled area while chatting to the very helpful stewards and staff.

They won't be appearing on University Challenge any time soon. And while I'm at it, chaps - please don't wear white trainers that can't be used for sport. You just look like another t*** from the conveyor belt of Pot Noodle eating numpties.

So I'm adding trainers, pot noodles and hair gel to your list of pet hates. God forbid you ever meet Steve Cotteill

More PC, but not anatomically correct: the scrotum is the sac in which the testicles are held. Don't give up your day job, unless your day job is Head of Testicular Oncology at BRI. Then you need to rethink your career choice.

Sound advice that.

Job at the Evening Post perhaps?

Does this mean that only drunk, obnoxious ***** eat Pot Noodles?

Following a heavy session of being drunk and obnoxious, I would have thought a kebab starter followed by a taxi queue punch up would be the snack of choice.

All this bloody tv chef bake off nouveau cuisine pif pof. I can't keep up.

Following a heavy session of being drunk and obnoxious, I would have thought a kebab starter followed by a taxi queue punch up would be the snack of choice.

All this bloody tv chef bake off nouveau cuisine pif pof. I can't keep up.

Talking of TV chefs...I had daytime tv on in the background today, and recognised the bloke sat next to me at Wembley, as the Chef on that Lorraine Kelly show...must be a City fan, was with his little kid.

Archived