IGNORED

Location Of Away Fans At Completed Ashton Gate

Kid in the Riot

Location of Away Fans at Redeveloped AG  

279 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Admin

... where do we want our more active, singing, 'East End-type' fans to be accommodated?

Many have already moved to the Dolman Stand as they are aware the longer alternative may not be great

Is it feasable that a section can be created in the 'new' Williams akin to what was there this past season?

• SC&T Board Members

Many have already moved to the Dolman Stand as they are aware the longer alternative may not be great

Is it feasable that a section can be created in the 'new' Williams akin to what was there this past season?

Nothing's impossible, I guess. But personally I can't see that. The new Williams is going to have a very corporate, polite, well-heeled feel and I can't see the two demographics sitting together very well.

Better to adopt a 'horses for courses' approach and have dedicated facilities for each type of fan / spectator.

• Admin

Nothing's impossible, I guess. But personally I can't see that. The new Williams is going to have a very corporate, polite, well-heeled feel and I can't see the two demographics sitting together very well.

Better to adopt a 'horses for courses' approach and have dedicated facilities for each type of fan / spectator.

Williams = Corporate

South Stand = Families

Dolman = Fanatics

Initial club thinking before the reconstruction was to put away fans in Atyeo with no loss of revenue for segregation breaks.

But following the comments by SC about getting away fans away from the tunnel has caused a rethink. I believe that SC may have voiced an opinion to the board that away fans at the top of the Williams would lessen their impact on away team performances.

What the club do not want/need is a siting of away fans that changes from league to cup ties.

Thus IMO, the best solution that fits with Cotterill's thinking is to have the Atyeo for City and away fans in the most expensive part of the new stadium; the Upper Williams.

Still some 2,000 seats for City fans in league matches - pay on the day. All away fans for cup ties if they can sell that many.

Initial club thinking before the reconstruction was to put away fans in Atyeo with no loss of revenue for segregation breaks.

But following the comments by SC about getting away fans away from the tunnel has caused a rethink. I believe that SC may have voiced an opinion to the board that away fans at the top of the Williams would lessen their impact on away team performances.

What the club do not want/need is a siting of away fans that changes from league to cup ties.

Thus IMO, the best solution that fits with Cotterill's thinking is to have the Atyeo for City and away fans in the most expensive part of the new stadium; the Upper Williams.

Still some 2,000 seats for City fans in league matches - pay on the day. All away fans for cup ties if they can sell that many.

once the ground is rebuilt the tunnel won't be in the atyeo it will be in the williams

Why would you diminish home advantage by giving the away team the opportunity to play towards a massed bank of thousands of their own supporters when you don't have to?

Put them out the way at the top of the Williams and their influence on proceedings would be negligible, in turn maximising home advantage with the City team playing towards the sight and sounds of their own supporters for the full 90 minutes.

I thought that was already the current way of thinking from the decision makers at AG, and I hope that will be the final decision.

once the ground is rebuilt the tunnel won't be in the atyeo it will be in the williams

Yes, I know. But from Cotterill's stance on getting away fans moved away from the current tunnel area, I am guessing that he would like away fans to be as remote from the pitch and goal areas as is possible.

We can discuss this at length, but I again suspect that what SC wants is what the board will do. This manager, because of his success with the team, must be exerting an ever growing influence over all club decisions that relate in any way to the football played at Ashton Gate.

Yes, I know. But from Cotterill's stance on getting away fans moved away from the current tunnel area, I am guessing that he would like away fans to be as remote from the pitch and goal areas as is possible.

We can discuss this at length, but I again suspect that what SC wants is what the board will do. This manager, because of his success with the team, must be exerting an ever growing influence over all club decisions that relate in any way to the football played at Ashton Gate.

Yes, agreed. We were told that it was SC who wanted the vocal home support in the Atyeo by the tunnel for next season - and who's to argue with SC at the moment?

The best place for the away fans is the upper Williams as there are too many problems with the other options.

Putting them into the Dolman is a non-starter for two reasons. The Dolman capacity will be approx 6,000, so losing approx 3,000 seats (2,700 + segregation) would mean the capacity for home Dolman supporters would be reduced by approx 50%. For cup matches over 4,000 seats, inc segregation, would be lost for home supporters. The second reason is access. Assuming away supporters went in the Atyeo end, there would be no access to the concourse for home supporters from that end of the ground.

Putting away supporters in the Atyeo would be a problem for those City supporters who want to stand. It would be impossible for the club to sell season tickets in the Atyeo due to cup match away supporter allocation. City supporters who want to stand could not go into the Dolman blocks A and B, as has been suggested, as they would block the view of those sitting in blocks C and D when the action was at the Atyeo end of the ground.

The club has stated that it intends to use the upper Williams only as an overspill when the rest of the ground is sold out, so it would be an ideal place for away supporters. This would allow City supporters who want to stand / have flags etc to take over the entire Atyeo. The only disadvantage is the concourse facilities are not as good as that planned for the rest of the ground, but bringing them up to standard would be a simple operation.

Why would you diminish home advantage by giving the away team the opportunity to play towards a massed bank of thousands of their own supporters when you don't have to?

Put them out the way at the top of the Williams and their influence on proceedings would be negligible, in turn maximising home advantage with the City team playing towards the sight and sounds of their own supporters for the full 90 minutes.

I thought that was already the current way of thinking from the decision makers at AG, and I hope that will be the final decision.

but it wasn't much of a problem when they were in the EE and we won promotion,

Completely agree - best solution for everyone. Current Atyeo types/families get the south stand, home fans at the sides and vocal support get their own end. Seems. No brainer. Away fans as far Away as poss.

This would allow City supporters who want to stand / have flags etc to take over the entire Atyeo. The only disadvantage is the concourse facilities are not as good as that planned for the rest of the ground, but bringing them up to standard would be a simple operation.

The club have already suggested that Atyeo season ticket holders will have access to the South Stand sports bar next season before and after games. Plus they'll hopefully be a 'cider bar' outside the Atyeo next season. Going forward there is a fair bit of room under the Atyeo that could be developed for further bar/club facilities as you have the players/officials changing rooms and other offices that will no longer be in use.

Away fans in the Atyeo. 

The 2700 tickets for away fans will be fine, i know there is the rule in the FA cup stating 15% but this is only when the away club requests for it. If this does happen, then the ST holders in the Atyeo can be moved up to the Williams for the cup game.

The club have already suggested that Atyeo season ticket holders will have access to the South Stand sports bar next season before and after games. Plus they'll hopefully be a 'cider bar' outside the Atyeo next season. Going forward there is a fair bit of room under the Atyeo that could be developed for further bar/club facilities as you have the players/officials changing rooms and other offices that will no longer be in use.

If home fans do stay in the Atyeo, I'd love them to totally gut it, a huge (fan run?) bar and flag storage underneath. Alter the seating making it truly 1 tier (take out all those weird railings) and put in new seats, all red. Hopefully 1 day it could be totally safe standing too..

The final result, with SS, may look a bit like this.e201f2e79ddefedbcb44bcfef069ebde.jpg

The Big Bank at Exeter. That would be a great solution in my opinion.

Away fans in the Atyeo. 

The 2700 tickets for away fans will be fine, i know there is the rule in the FA cup stating 15% but this is only when the away club requests for it. If this does happen, then the ST holders in the Atyeo can be moved up to the Williams for the cup game.

What a way to treat your own fans!

If home fans do stay in the Atyeo, I'd love them to totally gut it, a huge (fan run?) bar and flag storage underneath. Alter the seating making it truly 1 tier (take out all those weird railings) and put in new seats, all red. Hopefully 1 day it could be totally safe standing too..

Pretty sure the Atyeo can indeed be retrofitted with safe standing, the South Stand only the top 7/8 rows can?

Pretty sure the Atyeo can indeed be retrofitted with safe standing, the South Stand only the top 7/8 rows can?

Seems like it would be easy enough to do, if I was being really picky I'd want a new roof on there too!! But think the majority of my utopia can be done without any/much planning regulations to jump through - barring the safe standing.

100% top of the williams for me. There needs to be an all singing/dancing/standing/flag waving area of the ground as this is a massive part of why a lot of people go to football, the only feasible place for this is the Atyeo. The club have made it clear the south stand is a no go and it's always better to have the loudest fans behind a goal.

The logistics should be easy enough as the upper Williams will have its own separate concourse, so the club will just have set aside a few turnstiles that go straight to an enclosed staircase going up to the top teir, stick in a lift for disabled fans and its job done.

This means -

No swapping fans around for cup games.

No segregation needed.

Our fans behind both goals.

Anyone that wants to stand up will have a whole stand to choose from and won't disturb fans that want to sit and watch the game in peace.

Away teams will never get the benefit of playing towards their own fans.

It's a no brainier for me.

The final result, with SS, may look a bit like this.e201f2e79ddefedbcb44bcfef069ebde.jpg

The Big Bank at Exeter. That would be a great solution in my opinion.

is a new club shop going in the corner?

if there is could they put another floor on it and have a large fan ran bar like the legends bar?

is a new club shop going in the corner?

if there is could they put another floor on it and have a large fan ran bar like the legends bar?

Yeah anything like that - I think the new AG needs to be the best it can possibly be, for too long at AG we've had to compromise (sharing the EE with away fans, poor facilities elsewhere). Now we've got the chance to effectively start from scratch, we've got a chance to make it unique and a ground that caters to everyone - singers, people that like to sit and watch, excellent disabled facilities, corporate facilities, kids.

We have the chance to make the ground something fantastic for everyone for the first time, I think away fans in top of Williams is best solution for all.

• SC&T Board Members

Not sure about 'can'. Most things are possible where there's a will.

The plan regarding rail seating in the South Stand was for this to be in the rear 11 rows, i.e. the back section of the stand between the two corner 'windows'. From memory that was going to be around 3,500 spaces.

I don't think there would be any structural reason why you couldn't one day fit the whole of the South Stand with rail seats, but that feels, at the moment' like supply would then potentially outstrip demand. It would also push out those fans who didn't want to stand.

The sort of capacity available in the Atyeo 'feels' more like the right sort of number if you were talking about an entire stand one day having rail seats for safe standing.

Yeah anything like that - I think the new AG needs to be the best it can possibly be, for too long at AG we've had to compromise (sharing the EE with away fans, poor facilities elsewhere). Now we've got the chance to effectively start from scratch, we've got a chance to make it unique and a ground that caters to everyone - singers, people that like to sit and watch, excellent disabled facilities, corporate facilities, kids.

We have the chance to make the ground something fantastic for everyone for the first time, I think away fans in top of Williams is best solution for all.

I'm easy and can see points on each location,

if they get ticketing right (pricewise) then we may need the upper williams ourself,

I'm easy and can see points on each location,

if they get ticketing right (pricewise) then we may need the upper williams ourself,

That is true, like you said earlier I think a POTD solution for half of that area may be ideal.

That area of the Williams is going to be very high, I'm not sure I'd like to be there personally!

Given the Atyeo is a self-contained stand it would seem like a no-brainer to me to put away fans there.  Having "massed banks of home fans" at either end does, I fear, rather overestimate the likely attendances for your average Championship game, given the overall capacity of the new stadium.  Would love to be proved wrong there though.  If both ends were full of home fans then I fear the huge new Williams would be looking pretty empty more often than not.

I'm not even convinced this is up for debate - I thought the decision had already been made that the Atyeo would become the away end.

Does anyone know what capacity the upper Williams will be?

I thought it was going to be about the same as the Atyeo, so if away fans are up there we should still have around 22,500 home seats.

well capacity next season is around 16500, leaving 10500 for the new williams, I'm going to hazard a guess that the lower williams will hold 7000 and upper hold 3500

Archived