IGNORED

Location Of Away Fans At Completed Ashton Gate

Kid in the Riot

Location of Away Fans at Redeveloped AG  

279 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Given the Atyeo is a self-contained stand it would seem like a no-brainer to me to put away fans there.  Having "massed banks of home fans" at either end does, I fear, rather overestimate the likely attendances for your average Championship game, given the overall capacity of the new stadium.  Would love to be proved wrong there though.  If both ends were full of home fans then I fear the huge new Williams would be looking pretty empty more often than not.

I'm not even convinced this is up for debate - I thought the decision had already been made that the Atyeo would become the away end.

Exactly the opposite - the most recent noises I heard coming out of the club was an all City Atyeo in the future was actively being considered and, indeed, was currently the preferred option.

Exactly the opposite - the most recent noises I heard coming out of the club was an all City Atyeo in the future was actively being considered and, indeed, was currently the preferred option.

Fair enough.  My personal view is that I actually think it would benefit the atmosphere as a whole to have the away fans in the Atyeo, rather than tucked away at the top of the Williams.  It would encourage the home fans to make more noise in response.  Much better to have two sets of loud fans than two sets of quiet ones.

Fair enough.  My personal view is that I actually think it would benefit the atmosphere as a whole to have the away fans in the Atyeo, rather than tucked away at the top of the Williams.  It would encourage the home fans to make more noise in response.  Much better to have two sets of loud fans than two sets of quiet ones.

I don't think that a completely unreserved Atyeo with fans allowed to stand would be quiet.

What a way to treat your own fans!

Considering its only going to be once or twice a season, maybe not even at all, and we're being put into a stand with better facilities for those one or two games, I don't think many would moan. 

As others have touched upon the Atyeo becoming 100% City fans would also be the best solution to the standing issue and create a genuine home end where flags etc. could be displayed.

Bars with displays of City memorabilia could be created in the then redundant space under the stand and the culture of a vibrant home end so desired by many could be accommodated as far as a modern stadium would allow.

We've seen this season that a good noise can be created in the Atyeo by relatively small numbers, so imagine the level of support that could be achieved by 4,000+ like minded individuals.

The Atyeo of the future, crammed full with passionate City supporters, could evolve in to something unique and special, and be a huge asset to the club in terms of vociferous support.

Put all the away fans in the Atyeo.

We've seen time and again that home fans need to be "annoyed" into singing and having the away fans next to home fans in the Atyeo is the answer.

In the circumstance that the Away club needs a larger capacity for cup games, then make up the difference by giving them a small block in the upper Williams as well. This way, the home fans can then purchase season ticket seats in the Atyeo and still have them during cup ties.

I have an idea.

Every tenth seat in the finished AG should be available for away fans, with a cage that can be dropped over it to ensure segregation. This should go a long way to stopping away fans generating any sort of atmosphere. For the tasty fixtures live Cardiff we can be given sharp sticks to poke them with.

I don't see how the upper Williams could work as an away area TBH. The entrances would be directly beside home supporters, we would lose capacity due to segregation (after lots of people have been asking for a bigger Atyeo to increase it), it would put away fans directly above all the corporate big cheeses, I don't fancy a golden shower raining down on the Williams lower from away supporters, I'm not sure if the upper entrances go directly to their own concourse or via the main concourse and alot of people want to sit in the Williams upper as a home stand. It will be brand new and the best view in the house!

The Atyeo on the other hand would be totally independent, not linked to the overall concourse, no / minimal seat loss through segregation and we could easily hand over the whole thing if needed for cup games.

This thing about away fans by the tunnel doesn't wash either as it's being moved next year. By moving away supporters to the new Williams, we're doing exactly what Cott's wanted away from.

Use part of the Atyeo for home potd supporters and the rest to away fans or home ST's and away fans on the proviso that those home fans will have to move if we get a big cup game when the whole Atyeo is handed over. We've done it before with the dear old East end after all.

It has to be Atyeo for away fans, it makes the most logical sense and is the simplest solution. That always used to be the away end anyway so I don't see why anyone has any particular affection for the Atyeo being a home end, the rest of the ground will be brand new and all for home fans which is great, the tunnel won't even be used on match days so no need to have home fans round it, there will also be no need for segregation i.e. putting massive sheets across blocks of seats as completely self contained. It's not as if there will be a shortage of seats in other parts of the ground to fill.

I don't see how the upper Williams could work as an away area TBH. The entrances would be directly beside home supporters, we would lose capacity due to segregation (after lots of people have been asking for a bigger Atyeo to increase it), it would put away fans directly above all the corporate big cheeses, I don't fancy a golden shower raining down on the Williams lower from away supporters, I'm not sure if the upper entrances go directly to their own concourse or via the main concourse and alot of people want to sit in the Williams upper as a home stand. It will be brand new and the best view in the house!

The Atyeo on the other hand would be totally independent, not linked to the overall concourse, no / minimal seat loss through segregation and we could easily hand over the whole thing if needed for cup games.

This thing about away fans by the tunnel doesn't wash either as it's being moved next year. By moving away supporters to the new Williams, we're doing exactly what Cott's wanted away from.

Use part of the Atyeo for home potd supporters and the rest to away fans or home ST's and away fans on the proviso that those home fans will have to move if we get a big cup game when the whole Atyeo is handed over. We've done it before with the dear old East end after all.

That's just not very good though is it, you can't sell season tickets under that premise. One reason people buy season tickets in the first place is to guarantee their seat at these cup ties. The solution cannot really involve moving home fans around.

Yes it would be the simplest solution, but the best solution? No.

It seems by reading this thread that those suggesting the Atyeo only away fans aren't those that would necessarily use the Atyeo as a home fan..

As others have touched upon the Atyeo becoming 100% City fans would also be the best solution to the standing issue and create a genuine home end where flags etc. could be displayed.

Bars with displays of City memorabilia could be created in the then redundant space under the stand and the culture of a vibrant home end so desired by many could be accommodated as far as a modern stadium would allow.

Would be good but don't forget there's the rugby to think of...not saying it can't happen but Bristol Sport will have to consider it.

That's just not very good though is it, you can't sell season tickets under that premise. One reason people buy season tickets in the first place is to guarantee their seat at these cup ties. The solution cannot really involve moving home fans around.

It seems by reading this thread that those suggesting the Atyeo only away fans aren't those that would necessarily use the Atyeo as a home fan..

no that wouldn't work can't have a POTD only section,

I think what works best if fans stay in the atyeo is what we had in the East End,

Cap season ticket sales at 1000 and increase/decrese potd dependant on away fans,

Big cup games move away fans to the upper williams and give the entire end to city,

That way the singers who think its best to get an atmosphere can stay close to the away fans, the nob heads who use to stand by the nets goading away fans can continue to do that,

and we have an unreserved section when standing up will be overlooked but with "better" facilities

I know what you mean but if it's a well known / pulicised proviso when ST's are bought in that area, I don't see a problem. As the club won't sell more than a certain % of the capacity to ST holders anyone in that position would still be guaranteed a seat if they had to move for a cup game.

What did the club do with EE ST holders when they had to be moved?

Would be good but don't forget there's the rugby to think of...not saying it can't happen but Bristol Sport will have to consider it.

i think its less of a problem with rugby, if we give then a dedicated bar in the williams (its going to be big enough)

I know what you mean but if it's a well known / pulicised proviso when ST's are bought in that area, I don't see a problem. As the club won't sell more than a certain % of the capacity to ST holders anyone in that position would still be guaranteed a seat if they had to move for a cup game.

What did the club do with EE ST holders when they had to be moved?

I can only remember one occasion they had to be moved and that was the rovers friendly,

I can only remember one occasion they had to be moved and that was the rovers friendly,

I can't think of any, hence the question.

If the Man U's, Liverpool's and Chelsea's of this world can do it for cup games, I'm sure we can.

The best place for the away fans is the upper Williams as there are too many problems with the other options.

Putting them into the Dolman is a non-starter for two reasons. The Dolman capacity will be approx 6,000, so losing approx 3,000 seats (2,700 + segregation) would mean the capacity for home Dolman supporters would be reduced by approx 50%. For cup matches over 4,000 seats, inc segregation, would be lost for home supporters. The second reason is access. Assuming away supporters went in the Atyeo end, there would be no access to the concourse for home supporters from that end of the ground.

Putting away supporters in the Atyeo would be a problem for those City supporters who want to stand. It would be impossible for the club to sell season tickets in the Atyeo due to cup match away supporter allocation. City supporters who want to stand could not go into the Dolman blocks A and B, as has been suggested, as they would block the view of those sitting in blocks C and D when the action was at the Atyeo end of the ground.

The club has stated that it intends to use the upper Williams only as an overspill when the rest of the ground is sold out, so it would be an ideal place for away supporters. This would allow City supporters who want to stand / have flags etc to take over the entire Atyeo. The only disadvantage is the concourse facilities are not as good as that planned for the rest of the ground, but bringing them up to standard would be a simple operation.

you seem to hold a lot more information than others about this, How do you know it would be easy in the upper Williams (I haven't seen what the concourse of the Williams will be), what if the concourse is just the same continuous ring as per the rest of the stadium with no special concourse for the upper level?

How do you know it would be easy to upgrade the facilities in the Atyeo - surely this would have been done already if it was easy?

you seem to hold a lot more information than others about this, How do you know it would be easy in the upper Williams (I haven't seen what the concourse of the Williams will be), what if the concourse is just the same continuous ring as per the rest of the stadium with no special concourse for the upper level?

How do you know it would be easy to upgrade the facilities in the Atyeo - surely this would have been done already if it was easy?

I think we know that it is possible to put away fans in the Williams upper because Martin Griffiths hasn't ruled out doing so. Not to mention the stand hasn't even been built yet and we will be able to tweak the internal layout without going back through the planning process.

You didn't read the OP monkeh!

If you put away fans in the Atyeo then having home season ticket holders in there is a non-starter because of the 4k cup allocation...

Simple, just move the city fans out of the Atyeo for the cup games and put them in another part of the ground like they do at other grounds

Any solution which involves home and away fans moving to different parts of the stadium for certain games doesn't seem like a solution to me.

I've seen Steve Lansdown in the past quoted as saying that he'd like away fans positioned up out of the way, hopefully that's what will happen when the grounds finished.

I think we know that it is possible to put away fans in the Williams upper because Martin Griffiths hasn't ruled out doing so. Not to mention the stand hasn't even been built yet and we will be able to tweak the internal layout without going back through the planning process.

I see, because he hasn't ruled it out doesn't mean its possible - he may not of even looked at it.

IMO anything like a tweak now and it will just be a dodgy after thought.

Any solution which involves home and away fans moving to different parts of the stadium for certain games doesn't seem like a solution to me.

I can't see why not as most other clubs do it with home supporters to accomodate larger away provision.

We either lose capacity, make the whole 'concourse' idea totally redundant or use the Atyeo for away supporters. Once the Williams is open, I can't see the Atyeo being particularly popular anyway whereas the upper Williams would be as it's the best seat in the ground.

I've seen Steve Lansdown in the past quoted as saying that he'd like away fans positioned up out of the way, hopefully that's what will happen when the grounds finished.

I don't see why its not a solution - its simply using our resources to there best within the rules we have to abide by. I don't see why people cant be more flexible, especially when the problem is watching from the side or watching from an end. There must be bigger problems than this that haven't taken 2 pages of discussion??

I can't see why not as most other clubs do it with home supporters to accomodate larger away provision.

We either lose capacity, make the whole 'concourse' idea totally redundant or use the Atyeo for away supporters. Once the Williams is open, I can't see the Atyeo being particularly popular anyway whereas the upper Williams would be as it's the best seat in the ground.

What's the point in moving people around when there's no need?

We won't lose capacity as there'll be no need for segregation.

The whole concourse idea will work exactly as intended, no one is saying give away fans the whole Williams just the top teir which would have its own concourse above the one we'd use.

• SC&T Board Members

Football crowds are made up of all sorts of different fans. What might appear the best seat in the ground to some, might be where others would least like to go.

Personally, being so high up and away from the action is not where I'd want to be. The fact that we all have different preferences is why it's important to try to find a solution that suits fans who like to enjoy matchday in their own different ways. Not easy. But best not to assume that all would regard a certain seat as 'the best in the ground'.

Football crowds are made up of all sorts of different fans. What might appear the best seat in the ground to some, might be where others would least like to go.

Personally, being so high up and away from the action is not where I'd want to be. The fact that we all have different preferences is why it's important to try to find a solution that suits fans who like to enjoy matchday in their own different ways. Not easy. But best not to assume that all would regard a certain seat as 'the best in the ground'.

Fair enough BR. It's just the impression I've been given through talking to fellow City fans. Apologies if I'm being presumptious.

It just seems a tad strange to me to build 3 adjoined stands and 1 isolated one and then reduce capacity by giving part of the adjoined stands to away supporters when there is a perfectly easy scenario staring people in the face with absolutely no capacity reduction.

I just don't see the issue.

I see, because he hasn't ruled it out doesn't mean its possible - he may not of even looked at it.

IMO anything like a tweak now and it will just be a dodgy after thought.

Let's talk practicalities then - it's going to be possible isn't it?

There are bar and toilet facilities already proposed for the Williams upper so realistically we're looking at a couple of sliding partitions to separate home and away fans.

In theory yes that is simple, but people won't like it.

Once again PF, if it's already stated on purchasing a ticket that you may have to move for certain cup matches, it's not an issue as people would already know. Pricing would, I guess, have to reflect it so it is a delicate one for the powers that be.

Archived