IGNORED

Greg Cunningham - Pne (Merged)

pnefcok

Once again thanks for your views.

A PNE fan on Twitter has just stated that Peter Ridsdale has confirmed at the game tonight vs Motherwell that Cunningham is coming here, so it's looking pretty likely.

If he does good luck to him, seemed to be one of the lads and fitted in well with the rest, I suppose ( like JET) he needs to be playing a lot more than he has been here.

If GC leaves, I'd hope we get a half decent fee.

I know he's only 17, but Levi Ives is a left back and already has first team experience at Torquay. Perhaps SC thinks he can provide decent enough cover, despite his age.

Wishful thinking mate, can you really see SC sticking a 17 year old on the bench? Billy Murphy has got nowhere near the first team (even when we couldn't fill a bench!) and he has first team experience at Hereford.

Hope I'm wrong mind and this Levi kid is a bit special...

• Admin

I really don't get our strategy. We are getting very close to desperation in squad terms now if this is true. Down to 16 first team squad players, 3 of which won't be deemed good enough (El Abd, Burns & Reid) after being loaned out to L2 last season & a few that are injured already. We'll soon be in "a signing a day" territory.

I would imagine it's a combination of a good offer, Cunningham wanting to play more and City having plan of cover/competition for Bryan. They haven't even announced Levi singing so they obv see him as U21 initially.

Another though might be that Cunningham is one of last remaining players from previous champ team so perhaps he was on high wage....

I really don't get our strategy. We are getting very close to desperation in squad terms now if this is true. Down to 16 first team squad players, 3 of which won't be deemed good enough (El Abd, Burns & Reid) after being loaned out to L2 last season & a few that are injured already. We'll soon be in "a signing a day" territory.

go see a doctor mate

I am all for not paying silly wages and if that means we dont get the players that we want then so be it. Selling a player like Greg though when we are so short of experienced players is madness and I am really struggling to see what SC is trying to do here.

We are now faced with two problems

1) if we dont get the players in we are after then we wont struggle, we will go down with many games to spare.

2) we bring in a lot of players with little time for them to settle and for SC to forge his best team and again we will struggle.

I am really at a loss with our situation at the moment.

What don't you agree with in that comment? We are desparate for numbers!

Not quite right Simon.

You are desperate for numbers,  I think most fans are desperate for the right players to come in, not just numbers.

• Admin

go see a doctor mate

Didn't say I was depressed, which I presume you're getting at. Just questioning our current position of having 13 players Cotts will be happy to pick from & that we'll need to see some incomings PDQ with just 15 days until the season's opening game. Selling GC whilst the squad is so thin seems a strange decision, especially as his was the last position that we actually had an alternative option for the opening game. 

Taking it as granted that Cotts will not be selecting El Abd, Burns or Reid to start a Championship game as he didn't start them in any League 1 fixture last season, these are the options for the Wednesday game (ignoring the U18s who spent last season losing most their games in the U21 league):

GK (need 1) - Fielding (just returning from injury)

CB (need 3) - Ayling Flint Williams

LWB (need 1) - Bryan

RWB (need 1) - Wagstaff Little (both injured)

CM (need 2) - Pack Smith

AMC (need 1) - Freeman

ST (need 2) - Wilbraham Kodjia (Agard injured)

Are you happy with the current squad?

We need a GK, CB, CM & ST at least just to give us some options on the bench plus someone to play RWB in the starting XI as a minimum in the next 15 days. Even that leaves us putting players on the bench that Cotts wouldn't feel comfortable starting. 

I'm usually accused on here of being part of the rose tinted glasses brigade but even I see this as less than ideal. Cotts is gonna be spending time searching for/convincing players to sign for us that he would better spend working with the squad, not to mention there is less time for new signings to blend in. 

But you keep burying your head, everything is fine mate.

Didn't say I was depressed, which I presume you're getting at. Just questioning our current position of having 13 players Cotts will be happy to pick from & that we'll need to see some incomings PDQ with just 15 days until the season's opening game. Selling GC whilst the squad is so thin seems a strange decision, especially as his was the last position that we actually had an alternative option for the opening game. 

Taking it as granted that Cotts will not be selecting El Abd, Burns or Reid to start a Championship game as he didn't start them in any League 1 fixture last season, these are the options for the Wednesday game (ignoring the U18s who spent last season losing most their games in the U21 league):

GK (need 1) - Fielding (just returning from injury)

CB (need 3) - Ayling Flint Williams

LWB (need 1) - Bryan

RWB (need 1) - Wagstaff Little (both injured)

CM (need 2) - Pack Smith

AMC (need 1) - Freeman

ST (need 2) - Wilbraham Kodjia (Agard injured)

Are you happy with the current squad?

We need a GK, CB, CM & ST at least just to give us some options on the bench plus someone to play RWB in the starting XI as a minimum in the next 15 days. Even that leaves us putting players on the bench that Cotts wouldn't feel comfortable starting. 

I'm usually accused on here of being part of the rose tinted glasses brigade but even I see this as less than ideal. Cotts is gonna be spending time searching for/convincing players to sign for us that he would better spend working with the squad, not to mention there is less time for new signings to blend in. 

But you keep burying your head, everything is fine mate.

Well i'm not burying my head and i'm not worried in the slightest.

Cunningham at present has a monetary value in a years time he won't and he has been a bit part player.

We have in the past panicked and signed players some of whom were too expensive, too old, overpaid, unfit, injury prone and or unmotivated apart from picking up their pay cheques.

Hopefully those days are long gone.

I suspect that there are irons in the fire and one or two from left field like this weeks signing and then the prem teams have to announce their squads and more players will become available for loan.

Chillax dude.

Gregs just a squad player so I'm not too worried about losing him as long as it's a good deal for the club.

Cotts must have someone else lined up if he's letting him go, I wonder if we'll bring someone in who can cover both wing back positions like Nathan Byrne?

Archived