IGNORED

This forum

Dastardly and Muttley

Please don't let the juvenile comments of a tiny minority get to you. The vast majority on here recognise and hugely appreciate your efforts and realise the current issues are not of your making.

sorry for the double quote, the reply function messed up.

No one on this thread had criticised Tom's work. If it is just a minority that are unhappy about the current forum provision, then I stand  corrected. However, it looks like a lot of people feel the same as me. It's becoming harder and harder to log on and that's not because of Tom or any other user, it's because of technical issues.

As users, we have the right to express our opinion, whether the service is free or paid for. I have expressed mine and would gladly offer my time as a moderator to improve things - that was not a throwaway comment.

I really hope things improve with our providers soon.

It's upsetting because ultimately I'm the only person who can really do anything about it and while I continue dialogue with Invison who I've had a very good relationship with for 12 years or so I'm extremely frustrated at the situation. I'm in London and having to faff about with Remote Desktop over my phone trying to get things straight.   The biggest issue is this forum 'the football forum' as its loading all 4300 odd pages. Go click into the sell and buy forum. See? 

is there anything forum users can do to assist? 

It's upsetting because ultimately I'm the only person who can really do anything about it and while I continue dialogue with Invison who I've had a very good relationship with for 12 years or so I'm extremely frustrated at the situation. I'm in London and having to faff about with Remote Desktop over my phone trying to get things straight.   The biggest issue is this forum 'the football forum' as its loading all 4300 odd pages. Go click into the sell and buy forum. See? 

ok, so let's think outside the box a bit. Can some of the 4300 pages be binned?

ok, so let's think outside the box a bit. Can some of the 4300 pages be binned?

I could create a new footy chat forum, move the last two pages over and archive the forum.  It's not ideal though.  The whole slowness is cause by this being the busiest forum of the 5 and having the most posts. It puts huge strain loading it up. IPS need a solution so it only loads 30 days by default which is what it used to do.. I will have another moan at them when I get in 

The old version has an end of life just like Windows vista, 7 and so forth. 

This is just as radical as windows ten is to a windows XP user and I appreciate that. However the speed should not be an issue and that's the first thing we're trying to resolve. 

Have to say I hate the new look and feel on mobile. It's cluttered and too graphic-heavy for the small screen; the old skin was far more effective. Overall the user experience on mobile has gone downhill.

I also find it hard on mobile (iPhone 5s) to click on the star/circle to go to the first unread post in a thread.

Also, what is the OP referring to regarding the frustrating quote function?

I have found that if you accidentally click in the grey box, it's virtually impossible to get out of it again on an iPhone. Probably just my clumsy thumbs, but I once ended up with a previewed post containing 6 of the same quote before I gave up!

Don't know how many times it needs to be explained that it wasn't the choice of Tom or the mods to update the software, or to do it on Deadline Day either.

The only issue I have with it is the speed tbh, which is already known about. I tend to avoid while a match is on anyway as the matchday thread is often shambolic, especially if we're losing. Not noticed any problems on the mobile version.

Just as a note about quoting issues (i.e. can only write within the quote, not underneath):

On a computer, hover over the quote and a dotted red line will appear below said quote (fig.1). If you click on the square with the arrow, it will create a paragraph below.

On a mobile/tablet, the same thing is achieved by tapping on the vacant space below the quote.

This can also be done above the quote.

Hope that helps anyone who's had these issues!

1688nf5.jpg

To be honest, not finding the speed a problem and have got used to the new format on my phone - Sony Xperia Z1. However it is now two matches in a row now where I have not been able to get on, which is very frustrating. Just get the 'service unavailable' message. Istria also to do with all the pages loading up or that it can't handle the increase in users on matchdays? Will this improve too?

Tomarse

Are we the only forum that uses Invision?

Are other forums having the same issue if we are not?

There is probably over a million forums using IPB, so no.  Most people reporting its running fine.  Despite only being one site we have a very good support service from IPS - partly because I've been with them since day one and partly because I'm actually good friends with the original developer.  They got a very long, emotional and slightly drink related rant last night and to fair I had a response within 9 minutes.  

Unfortunately they can see one issue but can't give the fix to the next update (4.1) and that's a few weeks away. There maybe beta versions before that so I might have to try that if it fixes the inital issue which is the speed loading this forum.

As a short term fix I've re-created this forum, moved the last 3 pages worth of topics into it and hidden the forum with the rest of the 1.75m topics. It should improve things while they get to the bottom of it.

As I say the quote issues and mobile experience has had some fixes as well.  Unfortunately I'm on site (London/Colchester) next couple of days so I'm having to do things remotely and before work at silly o clock like now.

Lets see how it goes today with less topics in here...

There is probably over a million forums using IPB, so no.  Most people reporting its running fine.  Despite only being one site we have a very good support service from IPS - partly because I've been with them since day one and partly because I'm actually good friends with the original developer.  They got a very long, emotional and slightly drink related rant last night and to fair I had a response within 9 minutes.  

Unfortunately they can see one issue but can't give the fix to the next update (4.1) and that's a few weeks away. There maybe beta versions before that so I might have to try that if it fixes the inital issue which is the speed loading this forum.

As a short term fix I've re-created this forum, moved the last 3 pages worth of topics into it and hidden the forum with the rest of the 1.75m topics. It should improve things while they get to the bottom of it.

As I say the quote issues and mobile experience has had some fixes as well.  Unfortunately I'm on site (London/Colchester) next couple of days so I'm having to do things remotely and before work and silly o clock like now.

Lets see how it goes today with less topics in here...

Well done Tom. Seems to be faster already! 

#OTIB

The old version has an end of life just like Windows vista, 7 and so forth. 

This is just as radical as windows ten is to a windows XP user and I appreciate that. However the speed should not be an issue and that's the first thing we're trying to resolve. 

is the speed issue causing the forum to crash ?  If not I would look at fixing any crash issues first - if rather the forum up but slow than not up at all

Works fine on my iPhone. Only issue I have is new posts not starting with a capital every time.

yes I get this too, and usually have to double tap before I can write anything. I guess it's a habit I have got into now and if if gets fixed will have to unlearn again. It really bugs me when sentences don't start with capital letters but I can't be arsed to continually correct myself either.

hopefully things will improve on match days now. I did see there were over 2million posts and was going to ask Tom today if all these were needed as they could be loading and slowing things down, that from the non-techie me would be as much help as I could suggest.

is the speed issue causing the forum to crash ?  If not I would look at fixing any crash issues first - if rather the forum up but slow than not up at all

No it's the load on the database engine that's using up all the servers capacity and then that has a knock on effect.  IPS are looking at it today and seeing what we can do. As I say, it should be better shorterm with what I've done this morning.

Archived