IGNORED

This forum

Dastardly and Muttley

Morning all,

I notice a few complaints about the mobile views. Other than speed (should be fixed over the next few days or weeks) and the editor (fixed in an upgrade still in development) what do you think can be improved when using a phone or tablet? We're currently performing a design review on the mobile views so your input would be greatly appreciated.

Morning all,

I notice a few complaints about the mobile views. Other than speed (should be fixed over the next few days or weeks) and the editor (fixed in an upgrade still in development) what do you think can be improved when using a phone or tablet? We're currently performing a design review on the mobile views so your input would be greatly appreciated.

When you say editor, do you mean the not using a capital letter when it starts a sentence for example?

I have an issue on both my tablet and my phone (both apple devices) that I have to click several times into the box where I want to type before it will actually let me. Sometimes, even when I click in the box, it doesn't let me type.

Also, any chance of the chatroom being fixed anytime soon please?  I keep trying it to see if its fixed but I've just got the circle of death spinning around.

Also, currently on a desktop, what's with it leaving these massive spaces under my post?

Plus the box when you come back to edit stuff, even if I untick it, so that it can't be shown I have edited the post (sometimes useful from a moderating point of view) it still says I have edited the post. This happens on mobile devices, and on my desktop.

When you say editor, do you mean the not using a capital letter when it starts a sentence for example?

I have an issue on both my tablet and my phone (both apple devices) that I have to click several times into the box where I want to type before it will actually let me. Sometimes, even when I click in the box, it doesn't let me type.

Also, any chance of the chatroom being fixed anytime soon please?  I keep trying it to see if its fixed but I've just got the circle of death spinning around.

Also, currently on a desktop, what's with it leaving these massive spaces under my post?

Plus the box when you come back to edit stuff, even if I untick it, so that it can't be shown I have edited the post (sometimes useful from a moderating point of view) it still says I have edited the post. This happens on mobile devices, and on my desktop.

Is that cos of iOS 9 :)

OK I think the payment processing side of the store is fixed and goes through to paypal correctly.

Yes!  thanks, have now managed to do it and very quickly with Paypal.  Well done Tomarse, let's hope more forum users pay their £5 and support this Forum.

• Admin

Nope, been doing it since the forum update :)

This seems to affect Apple mobile devices more. May be something to do with their predictive keyboards.

On Android if I type straight into the reply box it is IS capitalised. If I click quote the first sentence is NOT capitalised. On both methods of replying, every other sentence or new line IS capitalised.

WORkIng  Ok  For Me

This seems to affect Apple mobile devices more. May be something to do with their predictive keyboards.

On Android if I type straight into the reply box it is IS capitalised. If I click quote the first sentence is NOT capitalised. On both methods of replying, every other sentence or new line IS capitalised.

• Admin

Morning all,

Any idea why I don't have an option to reply? 

TThere is no box to type in

It's upsetting because ultimately I'm the only person who can really do anything about it and while I continue dialogue with Invison who I've had a very good relationship with for 12 years or so I'm extremely frustrated at the situation. I'm in London and having to faff about with Remote Desktop over my phone trying to get things straight.   The biggest issue is this forum 'the football forum' as its loading all 4300 odd pages. Go click into the sell and buy forum. See? 

Tom.  I completely understand your position.  As a .NET developer and owner/guardian of a few live commercial sites I know how issues beyond your control will send a group of people into free-fall very easily.

From where I am, you work your socks off and I am very appreciative as the last thing I would want to do (unpaid) is faff about fixing issues where users don't have a scooby about what is involved or what is to blame.

You're a top bloke for doing what you do.  I'll never criticise your efforts.  We're lucky to have you looking after us.

If people want to pay handsomely for a concurrent testing system and volunteer for a mass UAT exercise, great.  Until then ....

A few things which have gone ( or I'm yet to find) since the upgrade:

1) Where it says number of replies to topics. You used to be able to click on this and get a list of each poster who'd replied to that thread, and how many times.

2) Each post on a thread being numbered. So you could say to someone...see post #28, or note the number of a post and go back and find it quickly.

3) A list showing those who'd posted most times that day, and another showing overall posts.

4) A list of OTIB Supporters.

Are all, or any, of these features due to return when all the glitches are sorted out?

Tom.  I completely understand your position.  As a .NET developer and owner/guardian of a few live commercial sites I know how issues beyond your control will send a group of people into free-fall very easily.

From where I am, you work your socks off and I am very appreciative as the last thing I would want to do (unpaid) is faff about fixing issues where users don't have a scooby about what is involved or what is to blame.

You're a top bloke for doing what you do.  I'll never criticise your efforts.  We're lucky to have you looking after us.

If people want to pay handsomely for a concurrent testing system and volunteer for a mass UAT exercise, great.  Until then ....

Thanks for your comments.  I think people sometimes don't understand we've got two things going on here. We've got the server and its associated hardware that we generally look after and then the forum is software provided by Invision. Most of the time neither give us any issues whatsoever but unfortunely when stuff does go wrong its not always much I can initally do about it.  We're very, very, lucky to have the relationship we do with Invision.  I wouldn't like to guess how many people run there software but I expect its tens of thousands if not more.   To have Matt come on here and personally fix stuff is like Steve Jobs coming around your house to install the latest version of iOS.  That's because I'm lucky he's a good personal friend and I've been using Invision products since day one.

The good news is Matt seems to have addressed the really nasty issue that was causing the main crux of the problems. We'll have to see if its totally correct about 6pm tomorrow when we'll have our usual post match traffic increase.   I have ordered a few extra hardware tweaks for the server which I can drop in next week hopefully.  However the server really isn't the issue right now.

I think it's also worth remembering that this really isn't my full time job. Today is the first time since Monday that I've actually sat down at my desk in the office.  Doing 30'000 miles a year and running a training department should be enough for me really.

Nobody has personally said anything directly at me anyway. I know most people understand where were at.  I get much more annoyed by some people on Twitter who continue to bleet on about shutting this place down and twice in the last month have claimed posts/rumours have orginated from here when nothing of the sort has happened.  They claim the don't even read the site so maybe they should just stop going on about it then.  It's also sad that the club clearly have a dislike of a place that they created. I actually feel that I'm deeply disliked at AG by some individuals because I'm the person who's running the place. I really don't know why OTIB is singled out when there is much more vitrol found on FB pages and particularly twitter where I've seen people openlly attack players with them being mentioned in the tweet.  Give us some slack, because you know what, if OTIB closed down another 3 forums would appear and the same content and views would continue.  Thanks to all of those who've bought supporter packs last couple of days, i'm sure the ST greatly apprecaite the financial support as I do just seeing people sticking a few quid in for a forum that's nearly 18 years young :)

Oh and the chatroom is fixed..

Yes, yes it is, I just went in there and talked to myself.

Thanks Tom

(and thanks Bucks for letting us back in ya bugger!)

Using the same extensive UAT and regression testing I do in my own job, I went in, posted one comment and exited.  Roll it out for the clients, it's all good.

Hi Robins,

@admin, I feel your pain, I run The Darkblues Forum way up here in Scotland and we have been toying with updating the forum from 3.4.8 to version 4 and so far in tests it's not that good. We have decided to wait for a while before updating, but with the way IBF are forcing end of life, it won't be that long.

I was looking for other football websites that ran v4 (I came across your site) and I can see from the posts that you're having teething problems as well. IPB have got a lot wrong with this version (but at the same time a lot right) and I will personally now wait for another few versions before updating. Hopefully 4.1 will fix a lot of the problems your members are facing.

Good luck with the season :)

@MattM couple of problems I have on mobile (samsung s3) is when I click the reply box it takes me to the top of the page. Slightly annoying. Also if I'm quoting someone and I click on my keyboards suggested spellings it will insert that word into the quote instead of where I am typing if that makes sense. Also quite random but say I've missed typed something cos of my fat fingers and I click on the suggestion to automatically change it sometimes it will put the first letter of a word twice.

Also sometimes whilst typing it will randomly jump to the top of the page and I'll havw to scroll all the way back dowm to the bottom. Also if I click on a previous sentance that I want to redo or delete it will send me back to the top of the page. Just did it again and I counted it takes 9 finger swipes down to return to bottom. That's alot of finger swipes if I have to do it numerous times in one post. Maybe have a button at the top saying return to bottom?

Really liking this place but since the cchanges I have posted less as all this jumping means it takes a while to type a post. 

Another thing is the new feature where it comes up ssaying someone has just replied. It's a nice little feature but on my phone it covers the line I am typing on so I have to type blindly. And then when I submit my post if there has been a new post my post will submit but not show the new reply. I have to manually press refresh to see the new replies and then the order will be restored with my post being the last post. Hope that makes sense.

TThanks for all your hardwork.

Archived