IGNORED

Crossing The Rubicon - Cotts Out?

samo II

Another Saturday, another bad defeat, level on points and goal difference with the bottom side, and only one game left in September.

At least one poster on another topic as broached the possibility of SC changing things fast or us getting shot of him, so thought I'd throw the question to the floor on its own thread...

Where's the line?  Is anyone of a mind we've got the wrong man in the hot seat?  At what point and under what conditions would that situation arise for you?

We can't keep chopping and changing. He needs support from the fans right to the boardroom although if push came to shove reckon he'd walk before being given his p45. 

when was the last manager you remember that has walked...if you stick around to your p45 you get a lovely pay off...resigning simply does not happen anymore

Stupid question :) 

In all seriousness though the bloke walked in to one of the most abject and pathetic sides I have ever seen, one which at the time I thought was weeks away from causing myself an extended break, and turned them around to finish 10th and led the club to its only title and although Mickey Mouse, the JPT to boot. Why would we even entertain the idea that someone else could be a better option given how he's performed? 

Well I've mentioned on here before that, whilst some players are released when clubs get promoted because they aren't deemed good enough for the level above, I can't understand why managers are always given the chance at the higher level.

When will a club be brave enough to say 'thanks for guiding us to promotion Mr Manager but we don't think you can do it in the division above so we are letting you go' ???

Not saying Cotts should necessarily have been treated like this but we had the chance to build on some serious momentum after last season and with the stadium rebuild and it looked woeful today. 

I'm not in serious panic mode yet but interested to know any thoughts on whether we should have perhaps looked at managers with serious track records of getting out of this tough tough division back in June/July as well as new players?

Stupid question :) 

In all seriousness though the bloke walked in to one of the most abject and pathetic sides I have ever seen, one which at the time I thought was weeks away from causing myself an extended break, and turned them around to finish 10th and led the club to its only title and although Mickey Mouse, the JPT to boot. Why would we even entertain the idea that someone else could be a better option given how he's performed? 

People have to short a memory or no patients, we continuity not uncertainty.

No way. He's a part of Bristol city now and is a top manager. I can see what he I'd trying to do and it us risky and has not paid off. And I don't think it will playing this way alk season, but I think we're building something and he's part of it.

Hopefully that is the last game he'll play the same formation otherwise he will be falling into the tried and tested Dummies guide of how to get a football manager sacked.

A certain other manager we had was blinded with the process and performances rather than end product, my fear is Cotterill will back into a corner and refuse to budge.

Well I've mentioned on here before that, whilst some players are released when clubs get promoted because they aren't deemed good enough for the level above, I can't understand why managers are always given the chance at the higher level.

When will a club be brave enough to say 'thanks for guiding us to promotion Mr Manager but we don't think you can do it in the division above so we are letting you go' ???

Not saying Cotts should necessarily have been treated like this but we had the chance to build on some serious momentum after last season and with the stadium rebuild and it looked woeful today. 

I'm not in serious panic mode yet but interested to know any thoughts on whether we should have perhaps looked at managers with serious track records of getting out of this tough tough division back in June/July as well as new players?

because the manager orchestrated the success?

I get your logic but your manager is your 'individual of the season'. I think to draw a true parallel you'd be talking about releasing your top performing player than your squaddie in which case it sounds odd. 

Personally for me I could not think of anything worse than getting rid of Cotts. However, such is the nature of modern football the longer this goes on the more fans will turn against him. I genuinely believe we are going to be fine this season, I just hope the fans are patient enough.

Definitely no way to Cotts getting the sack.

He gave us the greatest season that I can ever remember in my lifetime.

The players are the ones who need to buck up. Agree that the 3-5-2 needs to go as we don't have the personnel to do it successfully at this level, but I don't see that he has lost the dressing room yet by any stretch.

We will know when he has because the players will simply not turn up until he gets replaced, and that hasn't happened yet.

To clarify; wasn't saying I think SC should go, only thought that as another poster had made mention of perhaps him being moved on if things don't pick up, then I thought it might have been interesting to see people's thoughts.

Personally; think having SC leave any time soon would be an error - as my own 'ideal' for this year was simply staying up, only if we look to be out of touch of safety at the tail end would I even consider it an option, and even then things would have to be utterly dire performance-wise.

if he has anything to do with the inept transfer policy

chasing a striker for example when it was clear we needed defenders and midfielders first

then he should go now

But it seems as if his hands were tied so I'd give him another 5 games and see whats going on

And then we got said defenders. 2 from the premier league, one having a bunch of games and another u-21 talent. How did that go? I will be surprised if Moore and Baker play next time out, depending on how long Baker is injured for. Both have been poor, and our original 3 are better. 

if he has anything to do with the inept transfer policy

chasing a striker for example when it was clear we needed defenders and midfielders first

then he should go now

But it seems as if his hands were tied so I'd give him another 5 games and see whats going on

5 games? 

So our board should already be identifying potential targets? 

You might get some flack for this, and I'm not saying that Cotts should be sacked, but it makes sense. Southampton had success with Nigel Adkins, but when they reached the Premiership he was promptly sacked. This may have seemed harsh at the time but, based on results, it was the correct decision. Cotts has got to prove that he can sort it out and if he can't, unfortunately, he'll have to be replaced. Steve Lansdown won't want to have the best ground in league 1  

I'm greatful for last season and that buys him a little time. But I am simply not prepared to get relegated because he won us the league last year. I don't think we should get rid of him just yet. He has a little more time to turn things around. I've gone from being a massuve fan of Cotts to now being on the fence. My support for him can go either way it just depends on if he makes changes and the results come our way.

Maybe he just isn't cut out for the Championship?

Time for Cotts to earn his corn and (as I said last week) make some hard decisions. It's what he is paid for.

With the performances today he has to make changes but he looks (as mentioned by someone else in the week) he is way too stubborn. This was pretty evident in his after match interview - almost like he watches a different game to us every week.

wow??? Cotts out thread in September!!

truly pathetic. Can't even believe in replying to this. He like players will take time to settle in at championship. But I'm not naive, thought players and manger gad a stinker today. No plan b from cotterill today. But one bad day and a bad summer doesn't mean the sack. Hes got all season for me. Staying up is all that counts this season. Today was awful, but every other game we've been more than involved in chances etc. This is first game where we have looked outclassed and clueless. Get behind the team. Its going to be a long season

Archived