IGNORED

Crossing The Rubicon - Cotts Out?

samo II

I haven't got a fixation don't even know who you are, but, and I don't mean to be rude, you are a bullshiter aren't you.

In this thread you say that you always said you believed Cotterill would get us promoted from League One, but that is proved a lie from what you said over a year ago.

You are entitled to your opinions but at least be big enough to admit you were wrong.

Going forwards you may be right about Cotterill's ability to take us further, but as I said before, that's hardly a stunning prediction given our past history and who we are now competing against.

As for discuss football, well......

........I'm in my 47th season supporting City and Cotterill 14/15 is up there with Dicks 75/76 and Cooper 83/84......

........ and most people I have spoken to this season agree with me that although poor against Reading we have deserved much more than 1 point from the previous 3 home games AND we have continued to play fantastic football in those games AND the entertainment value from the games as a whole is first rate.

Yes I agree there are issues with how the club is run particularly outside of the first team set up, but how about give the manager a break?

Not bullshit at all fella...perhaps wrongly chosen words in this case. ( note to self...must be more precise as pedantic forum members will pick you up on every single word or sentiment )

Yes...I never thought he'd get us promotion back in March last year. After speaking to trusted friends in football, they all said he would get us up. To such a point, I actually put money on us last season quiet early, to go up. I also put that on a thread....which you haven't decided to find and show.

I've also put money on us to go up this year....way before the transfer fiasco....which I also mentioned on here....should have listened to my mates instead of being taken along by the feel good promotion roll. :sad26::sad26:

Congratulations on your 47 seasons following City....I'm not sure how your longevity adds to the value in this discussion or why we need to know that....However i'm not far behind you....but I agree last year was an Entertaining one, as far as following this Club.

And I agree Entertainment value at games is not bad this season.

However....this thread is for discussion....just because I have a difference in opinion to you.... 'I have to give the manager a break?' Seriously? This is a forum for debate and discussion. It was going well until you decided to change it's tact (note to self...do not dare question SC until it's a pack mentality and excepted by everyone )

We seem to agree that the Club isn't particularly run well...but how you think the first team is healthy considering the transfer fiasco, and even SC coming out in the media and complaining about his lot is beyond me.

Throughout this season, in threads, I've compared it to the 98/99 season....that also was a very entertaining season.

But through no fault of his own, Benny couldn't stem the losses.

We were attack minded, but defensively niave....and had no leader in midfield. So similar to today.

I've seen nothing this season to think we won't ship more goals. Yes it's entertaining...but however way you look at it, our situation is down to SC's failure to get vital players in....especially replacing Wade properly. And playing way too open and offensively.

Sorry if you find it so hard, that a fellow supporter doesn't agree with your views on Cotts.

So we can agree to disagree.

Interesting debate this, for the record i wouldn't get rid of SC for some time, although I suspect that his 'abrasive' personality might not be a long term success ( similar to GJ perhaps), although how long is long term in football???

One other point which may have been raised elsewhere (if so apologies): given our lack of depth, his importance to the team, his and the team's performance on Saturday and the match situation (2 down with Reading bossing game) should SC not have taken off Korey Smith as soon as he got injured, even if it left us with  10 (rather than 10.5) men? I don't know the whole situation but if it's made the injury worse was it worth it?

I think SC is a good manager and did well last season but the free flow non stop attacking football is flawed at this level. 

So now we will see if sc makes us more defensive savy or worryingly thinking everything is fine and carry on as we have done. The transfer  window was woeful and given Burt helps recruit players it's not soley cotts fault .    I think this squad is strong enough to stay up , we just need to get a few results go our way and not be so attacking right from defence . so I would stay with cotts unless we are still bottom or there abouts come end of Nov. 

One other point which may have been raised elsewhere (if so apologies): given our lack of depth, his importance to the team, his and the team's performance on Saturday and the match situation (2 down with Reading bossing game) should SC not have taken off Korey Smith as soon as he got injured, even if it left us with  10 (rather than 10.5) men? I don't know the whole situation but if it's made the injury worse was it worth it?

Post match he said he was going to take him off, but Korey wanted to stay on.

Has had a nightmare recruiting players this season, brought in a bunch of loans ( panic ) that have yet to show any worth, had a player leave after an alleged training ground incident, allegedly fallen out with numerous people at the Club, seen Pelling leave, not been able to replace Wade properly ( a major problem ), lost badly to Luton in the Cup,  lost 5, Drawn 2, and won 1 game in the league....conceded the most goals in the league with Rotherham, have major injury problems with Little and possibly now Smith, plus players coming back from injury... has an aging CF....and now pretty much stuck with the playing staff we have until January. Used up our loans allowed, and has shown complete frustration and arrogance openly in the media, and often talks bollox in defeat

The only positive I've seen so far is Kodjia and a few of the younger players showing promise.

BRISTOL CITY - LIFE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP - 'Adapting' - by Alessandro

LAST SEASON'S runaway L1 Champions and JPT winners have started this season under the back drop of a newly opened South Stand, as the club get closer to the completion of their impressive and exciting new 27,000 seater stadium.

They have shown some serious intent in the transfer market by bidding big for several sought after strikers, unsurprisingly though, losing out to teams with Premiership parachute payments and therefore much larger wage budgets. It is heartening to see City's billionaire owner showing he is prepared to back their manager in the market, but will stick by the financial ideals that have served the club well over the last few years.

They did however manage to fight off stiff competition from big championship clubs for the loan signings of well rated premiership defenders Liam Moore and Nathan Baker. And in the form of French striker Jonathan Kodjia, unearthed for around 2 million euros from Angers, they have a gem for the future who already has 4 goals to his name.

On the pitch, they have picked up some valuable points away from home, notably an away at promotion favorites Middlesbrough.

This young team, many without championship experience, have shown they can compete with established teams, and but for some decisions and decisive moments falling the other way, might be further up the table. No doubt, as the team gains experience, so the results will follow.

Not saying I don't agree with you mate, but you can spin the situation how you want. I personally am not ready to push the 'fire' button yet.

BRISTOL CITY - LIFE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP - 'Adapting' - by Alessandro

LAST SEASON'S runaway L1 Champions and JPT winners have started this season under the back drop of a newly opened South Stand, as the club get closer to the completion of their impressive and exciting new 27,000 seater stadium.

They have shown some serious intent in the transfer market by bidding big for several sought after strikers, unsurprisingly though, losing out to teams with Premiership parachute payments and therefore much larger wage budgets. It is heartening to see City's billionaire owner showing he is prepared to back their manager in the market, but will stick by the financial ideals that have served the club well over the last few years.

They did however manage to fight off stiff competition from big championship clubs for the loan signings of well rated premiership defenders Liam Moore and Nathan Baker. And in the form of French striker Jonathan Kodjia, unearthed for around 2 million euros from Angers, they have a gem for the future who already has 4 goals to his name.

On the pitch, they have picked up some valuable points away from home, notably an away at promotion favorites Middlesbrough.

This young team, many without championship experience, have shown they can compete with established teams, and but for some decisions and decisive moments falling the other way, might be further up the table. No doubt, as the team gains experience, so the results will follow.

Not saying I don't agree with you mate, but you can spin the situation how you want. I personally am not ready to push the 'fire' button yet.

No worries fella...we each have our own interpretations.

However...We actually offered more money in wages to Gray...he took less at Burnley and chose to go for football reasons.

However...We actually offered more money in wages to Gray...he took less at Burnley and chose to go for football reasons.

that's interesting and runs contrary to the assumed narrative. Lots of people speak very highly of Dyche and I think he was inspired by Dyche's development of ings.

I don't know the figures fella...was just told this by a football agent.

Fair play, it's interesting that we offered more than a team that was in the Premier league so recently. I just assumed he'd gone for the money.

We really need to do a better PR job on potential signings if they will go elsewhere for less wages.

We need to demonstrate a clear development programme for new players so they can see how they will progress if they join us, but it's arguable if we actually do develop players significantly once they join us.

I'd say Flint and Ayling have improved since signing but anyone else?

Obviously Joe is coming on leaps and bounds but we didn't have to attract him to the club as a big signing.

Bristol sells itself as somewhere to live, but not many players around the UK actually seem to live in the city/town/village that they represent. I know they are no more (?) but by 'village' I was referring to Rushden & Diamonds. I went there for a 1-1 draw [Lee Miller notched] but it was like visiting Chew Magna and suddenly noticing a football stadium!

I got on rather well with the barmaid at their local pub too! Another story!

Fair play, it's interesting that we offered more than a team that was in the Premier league so recently. I just assumed he'd gone for the money.

We really need to do a better PR job on potential signings if they will go elsewhere for less wages.

We need to demonstrate a clear development programme for new players so they can see how they will progress if they join us, but it's arguable if we actually do develop players significantly once they join us.

I'd say Flint and Ayling have improved since signing but anyone else?

Obviously Joe is coming on leaps and bounds but we didn't have to attract him to the club as a big signing.

Bristol sells itself as somewhere to live, but not many players around the UK actually seem to live in the city/town/village that they represent. I know they are no more (?) but by 'village' I was referring to Rushden & Diamonds. I went there for a 1-1 draw [Lee Miller notched] but it was like visiting Chew Magna and suddenly noticing a football stadium!

I got on rather well with the barmaid at their local pub too! Another story!

I'd say every single important player in our first team, with the exception of him who age has caught, has improved. Fielding, Williams, Pack etc... and perhaps particularly Freeman (in spite of poor early form) who let us not forget joined as a left midfielder. 

Yes...I never thought he'd get us promotion back in March last year. After speaking to trusted friends in football, they all said he would get us up. To such a point, I actually put money on us last season quiet early, to go up.

So one day you're saying the board have ****** up (your words) and the next day, after talking to somebody more knowledgeable than you are, you think its worth a punt on Cotterill taking us up.

**** me you cover your bets.

Really! Wow, i'm surprised to hear that. Funny old business football. I can understand that he felt he would have a better chance of promotion at Burnley but surprised we offered more wages. That is interesting...

So one day you're saying the board have ****** up (your words) and the next day, after talking to somebody more knowledgeable than you are, you think its worth a punt on Cotterill taking us up.

**** me you cover your bets.

Yes correct...from my own thoughts on SC, I thought they had ****ed up...as did many. After speaking to people...one who worked with him at Burnley and another two from Forest and Portsmouth...plus others in the game...I listened to what they had to say, took it on board as they know more than me, and took a punt.

I'd rather listen to people who work in the game, than gauge my views purely based on what I can read in media...it gives a better insight I find.

I have no problem in changing my views, if I learn and gain knowledge from people who work in the game....then great.

I think one thing that seems to always happen is no matter how well we do players either don't want to come or we can't afford the wages without overpaying when we're in the Championship. I have no idea how that issue can be addressed but it's certainly our biggest issue as if we'd been able to pay those higher wages then we'd probably have a much more solid squad.

I think we have some great talent but one thing we're missing is a leader. We've had some leaders in the past, experienced players who took charge, right now I don't see that on the pitch, not even in Wilbraham. I still maintain we need a Shaun Taylor type, a centre back who is a leader and will get people organised, or a better quality midfielder who can work hard and lead, the issue is finding one that would come to us on the wages that we can offer and that another club is willing to let go.

I'm honestly going to give Cotterill his chance but realistically unless there are some big changes in January, which I just can't see, I do worry that we may end up playing a formation that still isn't working for us with no back up plan at all which would ultimately be our undoing in our very first season back.

Archived