IGNORED

Cotts now under pressure??

Londoner

The bloke won the league last year, had some decent results this season , today is a low point , but I still see some decent football and sense a spirit . I'll back City to stay up as most footballing people will . Supporting City was never meant to be easy, but I'd back this guy . 

30 minutes ago, ciderup said:

Sounds like you're having the same dilemma as me fella! What happened last summer is a moot point, we just don't know? The one thing we can be sure of is that SL won't be walking away so where does that leave us?

Rather SL make that choice than me as I just don't know what to do for the best regarding the club.

I think it comes down to 2 things. Firstly, SC should not moan publicly about finance, that should always be kept in-house. Secondly and far more importantly, does SL still trust SC as the man to spend possibly big money in January? If he does then we fight on but if he doesn't, this is only going to end one way IMHO.

Totally agree but the answer is simple if SL or SL jnr don't trust him then it's tone to move on. Not saying its my personal choice but like you say we don't own the purse strings. I guess the big question is if you replace SC , who do you replace him with?

5 minutes ago, daored said:

Totally agree but the answer is simple if SL or SL jnr don't trust him then it's time to move on. Not saying its my personal choice but like you say we don't own the purse strings. I guess the big question is if you replace SC , who do you replace him with?

Spot on bud, right on the money (excuse the pun)!

Would Pearson really contemplate coming here? Who else is available? Rosler? Could we entice Warburton back South of the border (I doubt it)? IF SL does act, we need someone with proven experience at this level but not one of the 'usual suspects' you see linked with every job IMHO.

7 minutes ago, ciderup said:

Would Pearson really contemplate coming here? Who else is available? Rosler? Could we entice Warburton back South of the border (I doubt it)? IF SL does act, we need someone with proven experience at this level but not one of the 'usual suspects' you see linked with every job IMHO.

Totally agree , personally I'm not saying we move SC on, but as I said earlier the team Saturday will see no changes, that is SC downfall. I do not feel we can afford to be relegated which is why I believe SL will act either in replacing SC or providing funds plus wages to improve the squad 

Just now, daored said:

Totally agree , personally I'm not saying we move SC on, but as I said earlier the team Saturday will see no changes, that is SC downfall. I do not feel we can afford to be relegated which is why I believe SL will act either in replacing SC or providing funds plus wages to improve the squad 

Being pedantic, we will see changes next week bud as Pack is suspended! ;) We wouldn't otherwise.

I think of this season as different to any other due to the stadium and SL's attitude now that it's nearly finished. Cotts saying we were 'the better side today' won't help when comments on the match thread show we were most certainly 2nd best and SL will know that.

2 minutes ago, ciderup said:

Being pedantic, we will see changes next week bud as Pack is suspended! ;) We wouldn't otherwise.

I think of this season as different to any other due to the stadium and SL's attitude now that it's nearly finished. Cotts saying we were 'the better side today' won't help when comments on the match thread show we were most certainly 2nd best and SL will know that.

I'll bet you a fiver that Pack isn't the only change...

14 minutes ago, ciderup said:

Rosler has been regarded as awful everywhere he's been so please not him.

Tim Sherwood, Nigel Pearson, Brendan Rodgers, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank, and Harry Redknapp would all be worth a look. 

1 minute ago, cottsciderarmy said:

Rosler has been regarded as awful everywhere he's been so please not him.

Tim Sherwood, Nigel Pearson, Brendan Rodgers, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank, and Harry Redknapp would all be worth a look. 

Nobody on that list, Pearson apart, jumps out TBH. Maybe JFH but he has no Championship experience.

1 minute ago, ciderup said:

Nobody on that list, Pearson apart, jumps out TBH. Maybe JFH but he has no Championship experience.

So you wouldn't have Redknapp who has won promotion to the Premier League countless times and been probably the best English manager in the last 20 years ? Otr you wouldn't have Rodger's who took two struggling Championship teams to the Premier League, then nearly won the EPL ? Or you wouldn't give Sherwood a chance, who actually has the best win to game ratio of the last 5 Spurs managers, and kept Villa up last season, a team who have looked utterly useless this season, and have been performing worse since he went, a manager who as a player won the EPL with a non big team and has many contacts within the top flights of English football and technically as a coach is held in very high regard.

I must say if you think we are beyond managers of their capabilities you will be hugely disappointed in life.

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I don't think we should get rid of cotts. Very few realistic possible replacements I'd really be happy with. Is Moyes realistic? If so he'd be the only one I'd change for cotts that I can think of

Not sure Moyes is, he's managed the biggest club in the world and a top half Premier League team for a long time, if we were up the other end of the table, I think he would probably be interested as we would have EPL potential, but I think he would see nothing to gain by taking over us in our current position.

19 minutes ago, cottsciderarmy said:

So you wouldn't have Redknapp who has won promotion to the Premier League countless times and been probably the best English manager in the last 20 years ? Otr you wouldn't have Rodger's who took two struggling Championship teams to the Premier League, then nearly won the EPL ? Or you wouldn't give Sherwood a chance, who actually has the best win to game ratio of the last 5 Spurs managers, and kept Villa up last season, a team who have looked utterly useless this season, and have been performing worse since he went, a manager who as a player won the EPL with a non big team and has many contacts within the top flights of English football and technically as a coach is held in very high regard.

I must say if you think we are beyond managers of their capabilities you will be hugely disappointed in life.

I'm very happy in my life CCA but thanks for the advice. Mortgage nearly paid off and family doing alright thanks but I'm glad you're looking out for me.

No, I wouldn't want Redknapp TBH. Brilliant at Spurs, spent a boat load at Pompey so nah. Rogers, maybe but how much has the Liverpool thing affected him? If he's over it then all day long but it's a fair question IMHO. Sherwood, as you say it's a 'chance' and we aren't in the position to take chances IMHO.

As I said earlier, I don't know the answer and wouldn't pretend to know them, just trying to stimulate conversation and see no reason to make things personal as you did with the 'hugely disappointed in life' comment. There's no need for that at all.

8 minutes ago, ciderup said:

I'm very happy in my life CCA but thanks for the advice. Mortgage nearly paid off and family doing alright thanks but I'm glad you're looking out for me.

No, I wouldn't want Redknapp TBH. Brilliant at Spurs, spent a boat load at Pompey so nah. Rogers, maybe but how much has the Liverpool thing affected him? If he's over it then all day long but it's a fair question IMHO. Sherwood, as you say it's a 'chance' and we aren't in the position to take chances IMHO.

As I said earlier, I don't know the answer and wouldn't pretend to know them, just trying to stimulate conversation and see no reason to make things personal as you did with the 'hugely disappointed in life' comment. There's no need for that at all.

I didn't mean it personally, I was basically saying if you felt we could and would attract better managers than those three (personally think all 3 would be too good for us if honest) then you'll only be disappointed.

I actually think if any of those three expressed an interest to SL he would have no hesitation employing them.

35 minutes ago, Kingswood mask said:

Here's idea , why don't you all apply for the job if it becomes vacant, **** me we can't go wrong ! You bunch of whining arseholes.... 

Yep same as its always been, In 50yrs nothing changes really, back then we had "Dicks Out" moans .....then he took us to the top division;

Our players didn't turn up today so....not the first time.....or the last.

Be sure the players, manager and chairman will be well aware.......move on to the next game and win and mid to top half table posts or lose and were doomed posts........its what we do ......as always.

46 minutes ago, cottsciderarmy said:

Not sure Moyes is, he's managed the biggest club in the world and a top half Premier League team for a long time, if we were up the other end of the table, I think he would probably be interested as we would have EPL potential, but I think he would see nothing to gain by taking over us in our current position.

Yeah I doubt he would come here unless desperate for a job, nonetheless I'd like him to be our manager for obvious reasons. 

36 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

I will explain but have my doubts you will allow yourself to understand. Konchesky , Harry maguire ,gayle , grey, and a few others would have considered  BCFC but not at the wages being offered !!!! Shock ... If you only want to pay league one wages , then you will only be able to sign league one quality. He is still operating with half the squad that was bottom of league one !!!!! He has improved them to be competing in the championship and that can get you so far . Put klopp , mourinho and wenger as a management team with us now and we still won't be good enough . SC is more than good enough and has not been given the money to compete. Steve lansdown can bid 6,7,8 or 9 million , but if you refuse to pay the salary that fee commands  then it is a pointless , meaningless bid which gives supporters false hope/faith !!!!!! I hope you may understand now ????  But very much doubt it . SC IS BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO THIS CLUB BUT UNFORTUNATELY HIS AMBITION FAR OUTWAYS SL"s. 

So after telling another poster they are 'clueless'

You post this !!!!

A management team of Klopp/Wenger/Mourinhio wouldn't help us............. SCs ambition out ways Steve Lansdowns...... Etc etc

All based on Your opinion based on a lot of guesswork re the transfer dealings and some big claims re Sc..........

Ha ha - Not sure you should call others Clueless if this is your explanation !!!

19 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

I will explain but have my doubts you will allow yourself to understand. Konchesky , Harry maguire ,gayle , grey, and a few others would have considered  BCFC but not at the wages being offered !!!! Shock ... If you only want to pay league one wages , then you will only be able to sign league one quality. He is still operating with half the squad that was bottom of league one !!!!! He has improved them to be competing in the championship and that can get you so far . Put klopp , mourinho and wenger as a management team with us now and we still won't be good enough . SC is more than good enough and has not been given the money to compete. Steve lansdown can bid 6,7,8 or 9 million , but if you refuse to pay the salary that fee commands  then it is a pointless , meaningless bid which gives supporters false hope/faith !!!!!! I hope you may understand now ????  But very much doubt it . SC IS BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO THIS CLUB BUT UNFORTUNATELY HIS AMBITION FAR OUTWAYS SL"s. 

Yep, much better than SL contribution, this is a joke....yeah?

Time to get rid I'm afraid, but only if a decent replacement can be found which is the trouble

not one decision this season has made sense, drop Hamer when he had just settled in, drop Ried when he was playing well, not once make a change to alter the course of a game, persist with this awful system that is constantly exposed at this level, keep the same favourites week in, week out who are clearly not up to it, be uncapable of signing a first rate central midfielder this summer despite having months to do so, sell Cunningham, JET and Elliot without replacing them.

15/16 is an utter, utter diaster. We are going down as simple as that, we are actually really, really, bad. Aside from Kodjia and Baker we offer nothing at championship level

I look forward to a 2/3 empty stadium next season.

I wasn't at the game today but listening to commentary sounded like City were in the game until 3rd goal and we should have possibly been in at half time winning. BUT we do need to take chances and that's been story of the season too many times! Our defence had an off day today and it cost us! 

I love Cotterill for what he achieved with us last year, not only the promotion but the style of football we played! However this is a business first and foremost so despite our recent improved form he is in danger and needs a couple good results. 

The only thing which may save him except results could be that Lansdown appreciates the previous transfer window didn't work out well (for whatever reason) and the club may have some transfers already being sorted. 

42 minutes ago, brad blit said:

I wasn't at the game today but listening to commentary sounded like City were in the game until 3rd goal and we should have possibly been in at half time winning. BUT we do need to take chances and that's been story of the season too many times! Our defence had an off day today and it cost us! 

I love Cotterill for what he achieved with us last year, not only the promotion but the style of football we played! However this is a business first and foremost so despite our recent improved form he is in danger and needs a couple good results. 

The only thing which may save him except results could be that Lansdown appreciates the previous transfer window didn't work out well (for whatever reason) and the club may have some transfers already being sorted. 

The first paragraph couldn't be more wrong! At no point after about the 5th minute did we ever look like scoring (excluding Agards one on one) never mind being infront at half time! And trust me it was a lot more than just the defence having a bad day, truly shocking performance from every player! 

7 hours ago, Dorset_Cider said:

Far to nice to Managers in the past  that just maybe didn't have the right stuff........ Cotterill is now suffering the same (?) it's still a league 3 team playing in league 2 and that is never gonna be easy......... if he get us to stay up this season then he really needs to stamp his mark and get Steve L to pay out the cash that will make the difference in this division....... then and only then will I judge Cotterill............... erm why oh why did players that might have been targets not come to us.......?

I get what you're saying but SL can't just keep throwing cash at overpriced players, it's up to the managers to find the right players for the right price. There are plenty of managers who have done an amazing job on a budget, so far all we know for sure is SC can win a league when he can splash the cash to get the best player in that league. We'll never be able to buy top Championship quality talent, we just can't match the wages with the FFP so we need to be a team like Swansea were, one that bought wisely and developed players, that's something I'm yet to see from SC.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I get what you're saying but SL can't just keep throwing cash at overpriced players, it's up to the managers to find the right players for the right price. There are plenty of managers who have done an amazing job on a budget, so far all we know for sure is SC can win a league when he can splash the cash to get the best player in that league. We'll never be able to buy top Championship quality talent, we just can't match the wages with the FFP so we need to be a team like Swansea were, one that bought wisely and developed players, that's something I'm yet to see from SC.

Every signing before last season was wise and all of those players have developed and improved. This summers window was a disaster, who's fault that was I've got no idea but the management and board probably all shoulder some responsibility for that. 

7 hours ago, cottsciderarmy said:

You actually think lansdown would pay the ridiculous wages that redknapp would demand, plus give him the ridiculous money he spends at every club he seems to ever manage nowadays? I can't see it. As for sherwood, yes he did a decent job keeping them up but this season he made some dreadful decisions. Made villa a much worse side than the one he took over. The signings they made were diabolical. You look at cotts, he has made some very good signings. And he won us the league last year. I think we should be doing a little better but am I wrong to think we should show some loyalty to him? 

2 hours ago, Jonbristol said:

You actually think lansdown would pay the ridiculous wages that redknapp would demand, plus give him the ridiculous money he spends at every club he seems to ever manage nowadays? I can't see it. As for sherwood, yes he did a decent job keeping them up but this season he made some dreadful decisions. Made villa a much worse side than the one he took over. The signings they made were diabolical. You look at cotts, he has made some very good signings. And he won us the league last year. I think we should be doing a little better but am I wrong to think we should show some loyalty to him? 

We cannot make any decision about the manager based on loyalty, only what is best for the club.

People talk about Cotterill's achievements last year as if he did it out of the kindness of his heart. At the end of the day, he was hired to do a job, did it very well, and was paid handsomely for it. All credit to him for last year, but it CANNOT be allowed to cloud our judgement of the here and now - that could be fatal.

That said, I would stick with him. The reaction to yesterday's performance has been similar to Fulham, which we followed up with a clean sheet and a win, a draw away from home and a good draw against the league leaders. Broadly speaking this team is still performing well, we are not losing week in week out and we aren't even in the relegation places.

Often our failure to win has been identified as our inability to take chances. That's a failure of individuals on the pitch not the management and wouldn't be fixed by sacking Cotterill. He has set up the team to create goal scoring opportunities and been let down by poor finishing.

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Exactly my thoughts. A manager needs to smooth the rough edges and add value to the players he can get. 

3 hours ago, Jonbristol said:

I agree with you Redknapp would be a ridiculous appointment.  Aside from how much it would cost, and how much he spends, his track record at every club has been to invest in short-term fixes whilst neglecting youth development and signing promising players for quick fixes.  Which would leave us exactly where we were when GJ left (i.e. superficially doing okay on the pitch but with a mess to sort out behind the scenes to make the club sustainable).  You look at where QPR is and what they spent and part of the responsibility HAS to lie with the fact that Redknapp basically parked made them the footballing equivalent of a house with a Porsche in the drive but bare walls and no furniture.

Where I disagree is that we should show loyalty to Cotterill.  Football is a ruthless business.  We criticise players for showing no loyalty but they know they will be dropped or sold if either their performance level drops or their club signs someone better.  Similarly, had Leicester come calling for SC in the summer (seems crazy now!) then I'm sure he would have moved if it felt right for him (indeed a few years he quit Notts County after only a few months in charge because he was offered the Portsmouth job, then walked out on Portsmouth for Forest the following year).  I don't have a problem with that because Cotterill will also know that, should our performances continue to falter or should we think we can get a better manager in, he will be shown the door no matter what he's achieved in the past.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating getting rid at this moment in time.  But my reasons for that are because I think yesterday and Fulham have been blips compared to our general performances and we showed enough against Forest, Cardiff, Hull,  Wolves etc. to suggest we can get out of trouble.  And, if SC went, I'm not convinced there's an obvious replacement (especially whilst more appealing jobs at QPR and Fulham are still open).  Last season is relevant too but only in that SC showed he can get the team playing well so it gives hope he can do so again.  However the next month is vital.  If performances like yesterday become the norm rather than the exception we need to act whilst a new manager can utilise the transfer window. 

Archived