IGNORED

Lee Johnson hot favourite to be our next manager

iamsober

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If there's any truth in that then Harry's otherwise informative post perhaps gives LJ a bit too much personal credit for loan signings and cheap bargains from all over the place through his own contacts being responsible for the rebuilding at Barnsley in pre season.

Would he bring Barnsley's scouting and recruitment team with him? Sounds like he might need to.

Watching the JPT game last night they were inferring that th upturn in form has coincided with LJ having more of a say about players coming in 

They also suggested that the turn in form came after a change of formation , to 4-4-2

Their forums suggest that the change of formation came about as a result of being forced too due to injuries

What I would find rather 'strange' is that after going through a 'thorough process' under MA - the person we have identified as the best head coach for Bristol City , also happens to be a person that SL is reported to like.

Spooky !! 

With the backing he's given the club I find it hard to say SL shouldn't have the major / final say on the new head coach / manager but IMO it does make the 'thorough process' look 'talk'

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Watching the JPT game last night they were inferring that th upturn in form has coincided with LJ having more of a say about players coming in 

They also suggested that the turn in form came after a change of formation , to 4-4-2

Their forums suggest that the change of formation came about as a result of being forced too due to injuries

What I would find rather 'strange' is that after going through a 'thorough process' under MA - the person we have identified as the best head coach for Bristol City , also happens to be a person that SL is reported to like.

Spooky !! 

With the backing he's given the club I find it hard to say SL shouldn't have the major / final say on the new head coach / manager but IMO it does make the 'thorough process' look 'talk'

Interesting thought , O'Driscoll was n't liked at the club because he ruffled feathers with his honest y about where we were .

Cotterill , tried and failed to move the ambitions of the club up a level and look how that ended up .

Our next coach a " yes man " ? Who knows, It certainly won't be Billy Davies . :bruce_h4h:

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

This would be another in a long line of idiotic decisions by BCFC. We are crying out for experience of people who know how to run a Championship and Prem club, from top to bottom. Until we raise the standard we are going to be a yoyo L1/Champ club. I like LJ, and he probably can have a great future , but he does not have anywhere near the right credentials to take BCFC to the next level. In fact, I would leave Pembo in charge if that really is all we have on offer. 

At last some sense on this thread.

I'm towards your thinking @billywedlock

I like LJ and appreciated him as a player more than many, possibly has a bright future as a manager but one hell of a gamble if that's the way we go

The talk of him and others being 'well thought of' 'bright new coach' perplexes me at times

Who is judging / has judged LJ (And I'm not suggesting he's poor or that he's the next Guardiola) 

Hes managed / coached at Oldham and Barnsley in L1 (And done 'OK' IMO , nothing less, nothing more)

So are we reliant on the vibes from players at Oldham and Barnsley and the odd L1 opposition manager to judge him as the next bright thing ?

The media and pundits sometimes refer to him in complimentary terms but then they do with virtually all young managers coming into the game.

Id love to know how the plaudits judge 

I go back to my judgement that in reality I'm not convinced about LJ right now , find it difficult to judge him at his stage in his career so again I say - a massive gamble for me

3 hours ago, Devereux said:

Here is a look at a few clubs we could aspire to. Clubs that were unfancied but got promoted to the prem. I've included the managers that promoted them and in ALL cases, the managers had had previous managerial experience in the championship. In fact it seems that most were not successful straight away in the champ and needed a second club to have their success. 

Food for thought, and does worry me when we are linked with people like LJ who doesn't have any experience. Will we be his first champ club he learns from only to see him have success elsewhere? We need a second champ club man!

Southampton 11/12 - Nigel Atkins - previously with S****horpe who he relegated from Championship, no other Champ experience

Cardiff 12/13 - Malky Mackay - previously with Watford who he saved from relegation from champ

Leicester 13/14 - Nigel Pearson - previously Southampton who he saved from relegation to league 1

Swansea 10/11 - Brendan Rodgers - previously Watford who he saved from relegation and Reading who he left one place above relegation zone

Blackpool 09/10 - Ian Holloway - previously Leicester who he relegated from champ 

Interesting but you've left off Burnley (Owen Coyle in first Championship role - 07/08 maybe), Norwich (went up a newly-promoted club, same year as Swansea - managed by Paul Lambert in first Championship role), Hull (Phil Brown in first Championship role), Norwich (last year under Alex Neill - fancied at start of season but miles off from play-offs when he took over and no longer fancied).  I'm not convinced Reading were that fancied under Brian McDermott when the took them up.

You can prove managers without Championship experience work or don't work, depending on who you choose.  Managerial appointments are a complex process and experience is a factor but so is ability, personality and how well they fit the club. 

FWIW, Lee Johnson wouldn't have been my choice any more than Steve Cotterill would.  Let's see how he gets on if he gets it.

13 minutes ago, Bowie said:

massive massive risk at this level....silly appointment, honestly makes no sense

Never liked him as a player.

Well that's your prejudice and no one can do much about that, but just remember the best Managers are rarely those who were considered great players too.

people looking for "an inspiring manager" inspiring for who exactly? us? doesnt really matter what we think, what matters is does he get the players going, does he know what he's talking about, given better tools, could he do an even better job..  all due diligence you would imagine that board has delibrated.. and by the way, I'm sure they have - despite all the conspiracy theories I'm fairly sure that anyone in a position of power at BS at the moment are far more qualified and experienced to run a football team that anyone that posts on this forum.

"we should get a bigger manager" what makes you think a club in 21st in the championship makes an attractive proposition to anyone of a big reputation.. any of the unemployed 'big' manager names floating around at the moment are not queuing down job center plus scraping a living, they are comfortabley waiting for the right oppurtunity to come along, and I doubt for many that includes bristol city right now, who have a very real chance of going down.

I'm not saying lee johnson is my choice, but I'm willing to give it a go. He is a manager on the up, and clearly well respected in the game. In the head coach role, this what you look for. We play good football, we are going to get out of this situation by continuing to play good football. some new ideas and cleverness are just as vital in a relegation scrap as grit, determination and experience

One thing is for sure, we will get a Manager who cares about this club. Even his harshest critics can surely doubt that? He turned out week after week, in what was often a very harsh environment, yet was known to be very approachable and friendly with staff, players and fans throughout his career here. If he comes he will be leaving a club within a few points of the play offs who are heading to Wembley, which again testifies to his love of this club and his desire to do the job.

Whether other people choose to believe this or not, I believe he is "one of our own" .

22 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

One thing is for sure, we will get a Manager who cares about this club. Even his harshest critics can surely doubt that? He turned out week after week, in what was often a very harsh environment, yet was known to be very approachable and friendly with staff, players and fans throughout his career here. If he comes he will be leaving a club within a few points of the play offs who are heading to Wembley, which again testifies to his love of this club and his desire to do the job.

Whether other people choose to believe this or not, I believe he is "one of our own" .

well...apart from when he was giving City fans the finger

(Leyton Orient away?)

Struggling to play catch up on this thread, every time I think I'm up to speed, another page gets added!

Firstly, of course there are better options out there....but how many of them are realistic and realistic in our position.

There is obviously thinking from the Board, that the best way to survive this season is to appoint a permanent manager, despite the decent job Pembo / Wade are doing.  Waiting til the summer is obviously not viable or too big a risk.  So they are taking action.

None of us need to agree on who we think the best appointment would be.

This morning's news left me mixed:

- I like his affinity for the club

- he lacks experience, certainly at this level.

and plenty of other pluses and minuses too.

What reading the 9 pages so far (it'll be 10 by the time I finish typing) has done us swayed my opinion.  Which way?

Apologies if I offend anyone on here, but most of the negative comments are without substance and fact, or based on his playing days.  He is recognised throughout the game as a bright up and coming manager, head coach, etc, remember MA said job titles aren't important.  Of course, to us outsiders, we know this / he's on our radar, because he played for us.  if you follow football beyond your club, division, nation, you will be well aware of other examples who may have been destined for greater things.  The likes of your Boothroyds, Parkinsons etc.  Without his connections to Bristol City, I still think he would be recognised as being a potential decent manager.

Then you look at his performance as a manager.  Need to look beyond the win percentage, the finishing positions, and do a bit of research.  Thankfully @Harry has done a lot of the grunt work on our behalf.  Barnsley's current position is not under-achievement....they were 18-1 at the start of the season, and rebuilding their squad.  I know they were 18-1 because I bet on them at the start of August before a ball had been kicked!

As you start to dig deeper, the positives start to outnumber the negatives.  They might not outweigh them though, e.g. How big a factor is experience.

All we can guess is that the board have weighed this up and he scores better than the others....or they've played ' "boardroom pin the tail on the manager".

I'm definitely more in favour now than I was on page one.

One final bit - worries from posters about the players respecting him.

This bunch of players are a very dedicated bunch.  Does that mean they will or won't play for LJ...I don't know.  However, not putting effort in and seeing the team get relegated will mean a serious crossroad for the likes of Flint, Freeman etc.  They might get classed as League One trick ponies, who can't do it at Championship level.  I would like to think that the players will continue to bust a gut to preserve their status, whether for the new man or not.

LJ might just give us the 'bounce' (sorry) we need.

My feelings are so mixed on Lee Johnson coming in as manager (Can we please stop referring to him as "Little Lee") I feel like I'm suffering from bi-polar.  My initial reaction was one of anger.  How can the billionaire owner of this football club talk about his ambitions of being a Premier League team within 2 seasons and then sign a young inexperienced manager?  It's just a huge gamble. It's as simple as that. Of course, any manager is a gamble, but surely a manager with actual championship experience would be less of one? This management decision shouldn't be about maximising risk, it should have been about taking as little risk as possible to secure our future in the Championship.

Unless you've lived on Mars, Lee Johnson has and remains one of the most controversial characters at Ashton Gate in the last 8 or so years!! The fans, or a large section of them at least, will be straight on Mr Johnsons back as soon as we start losing games. Imagine if we lose 3 games in a row 3-0 from the start of Lee Johnsons tenure!! Do I need to continue?  Why would SL do that to himself? Why would he want that atmosphere surrounding the club? I can't answer that from the outside, but I know I wouldn't take the risk. 

The flipside of my thought process is, this could be a genius move! I'm fortunate enough to reside in the beautiful county of Dorset, so I've witnessed the rise of Eddie Howe as manager of Bournemouth.  Now, who would have thought that Bournemouth would have done what they've done? Yes, they may have money, but so have we, but the difference is Eddie Howe has spent it wisely. Could Lee Johnson be our Eddie Howe? Sometimes Managers (or coaches) click. Who knows? The answer is, none of us do.  All we can do is our job as supporters and support. God knows our club needs us more than ever at the moment. 

So, Lee Johnson wouldn't have been my first choice, but either was Steve Cotterill, and we all know how that turned out. We don't know what's going to happen now, none of us do, but one thing we can do is roar on the team and hope this gamble is one that pays off, not only for us fans, but for SL.  I can see things getting pretty nasty for him if Lee takes us down. But that's what happens when you roll the dice. 

8 minutes ago, Jesus said:

My feelings are so mixed on Lee Johnson coming in as manager (Can we please stop referring to him as "Little Lee") I feel like I'm suffering from bi-polar.  My initial reaction was one of anger.  How can the billionaire owner of this football club talk about his ambitions of being a Premier League team within 2 seasons and then sign a young inexperienced manager?  It's just a huge gamble. It's as simple as that. Of course, any manager is a gamble, but surely a manager with actual championship experience would be less of one? This management decision shouldn't be about maximising risk, it should have been about taking as little risk as possible to secure our future in the Championship.

Unless you've lived on Mars, Lee Johnson has and remains one of the most controversial characters at Ashton Gate in the last 8 or so years!! The fans, or a large section of them at least, will be straight on Mr Johnsons back as soon as we start losing games. Imagine if we lose 3 games in a row 3-0 from the start of Lee Johnsons tenure!! Do I need to continue?  Why would SL do that to himself? Why would he want that atmosphere surrounding the club? I can't answer that from the outside, but I know I wouldn't take the risk. 

The flipside of my thought process is, this could be a genius move! I'm fortunate enough to reside in the beautiful county of Dorset, so I've witnessed the rise of Eddie Howe as manager of Bournemouth.  Now, who would have thought that Bournemouth would have done what they've done? Yes, they may have money, but so have we, but the difference is Eddie Howe has spent it wisely. Could Lee Johnson be our Eddie Howe? Sometimes Managers (or coaches) click. Who knows? The answer is, none of us do.  All we can do is our job as supporters and support. God knows our club needs us more than ever at the moment. 

So, Lee Johnson wouldn't have been my first choice, but either was Steve Cotterill, and we all know how that turned out. We don't know what's going to happen now, none of us do, but one thing we can do is roar on the team and hope this gamble is one that pays off, not only for us fans, but for SL.  I can see things getting pretty nasty for him if Lee takes us down. But that's what happens when you roll the dice. 

Good shout Oh Lorldly one, any chance the old man can help us out or if not, the 6 numbers for tonight ?????

11 minutes ago, Jesus said:

His Dad walks on cider, he'll most likely be crucified after the first bad result, born in a stable (maybe)

Perhap LJ is the second coming? Wos reckon JC??

1 minute ago, Murraysrightplum said:

His Dad walks on cider, he'll most likely be crucified after the first bad result, born in a stable (maybe)

Perhap LJ is the second coming? Wos reckon JC??

crosses being erected in Ashton Park as we speak, who will be either side of him ??? ouiji board out tonight for guidance

Archived