IGNORED

Lee Johnson hot favourite to be our next manager

iamsober

43 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

He would certainly divide opinion but WTF do we know really?

From what I have seen he seems like a very smart and shrewd guy.  When he was at City he was investing his cash in property unlike most footballers who piss their money up the wall.  He comes across ridiculously well whenever he gets interviewed on TV.  He has done a half decent job in his career so far (which has involved working with clubs with fairly shit setups). He certainly will have a good technical knowledge of the game, especically considering his old man has been there and done it.

So for me he actually has all the attributes to do a good job IF he is given the tools to do it. Lets face it, he is a far better bloke that Cotterill so we might actually warm to him as well!

In summary, the people who are writing him off on this thread are clueless! When are people going to understand that if we hire a manager who hasn't had success before it doesn't necessarily mean he will turn out to be shite?! Argh!

Quite a convincing argument until you labelled everyone who didn't share you view as "clueless". Then you lost me.

Too many on here who seem to think their opinion is more valid than someone else's.

Obviously I'll give whoever gets the job a chance to see what they can do.

Lee wouldn't be the first choice that springs to my mind and it's not panned out too well at Barnsley but I do think different managers suit different clubs and there's no reason to assume him not being suited to one club would mean it couldn't work out here.  Similarly a manager who's succeeded elsewhere will only succeed here if they're the right fit for the club.

Thirdly, whilst this could be a goer, the odds are certainly nowhere short enough to think there's a strong degree of inside knowledge.  He's still second or third favourite on some markets and, when you've got more than one managers close to odds on, it suggests there's nothing definite yet.  The sudden shrinking of odds makes me wonder if he's got an interview though...

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Quite a convincing argument until you labelled everyone who didn't share you view as "clueless". Then you lost me.

Too many on here who seem to think their opinion is more valid than someone else's.

Ha, apologies. Maybe not 'clueless' but certainly 'misinformed'.

If he brings Winnall and Hourihane with him - I'd take that as  good business for the January window. If Pembo carries on with his organisation of our backline, defence is fairly solid, and going foward, LJ's teams at least seem to score.

Maybe with Agard going the other way as a make-weight, with Winnall, on record, being a more consistent goalscorer in struggling ****il recently) sides. If we spent the amount we're rumoured to be offering for Dack, i.e. £1.5m-2m, Id say that's better business, and our squad would look much better for depth.

As for his teams scoring, a note to add, For Barnsley's last 14 games, they've only scored none once, loosing 2-0 to Wigan at home.

Also, as for people comparing Barnsley's resources to ours - didn't one of their former shareholders get done for 'creative' accounting, fiddling with a companies accounts?

They're running a profit according to their accounts for 2013 and 14 from what I can dig-up, not relying on too much debt. A lot of their signings until Little Lee seem to be made up a former Prem youths such as McCourt from Leicester, and some academy players like Mawson, and lower league players such as Scowen (formerly Wycombe).

Off we go again down Hysteria Highway with a heap of wild claims about potential managers, based on those wonderful myths that somehow become facts. Just analyse recent managerial appointments and it's almost pot luck, getting right man at right time. We are a smallish club at this level, and there is no easy answer to getting promoted. Setting good foundations and looking to progress in a sensible budget does look a better option than chucking SL's cash around claiming we are now ambitious!

3 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Off we go again down Hysteria Highway with a heap of wild claims about potential managers, based on those wonderful myths that somehow become facts. Just analyse recent managerial appointments and it's almost pot luck, getting right man at right time. We are a smallish club at this level, and there is no easy answer to getting promoted. Setting good foundations and looking to progress in a sensible budget does look a better option than chucking SL's cash around claiming we are now ambitious!

Rubbish.. If we're going to go down the Ambition route the club needs to back this up its as simple and straight forward as that.

If however we wish to take the Setting good foundations and looking to progress in a sensible budget option as you put it maybe they should tell us this is the plan instead of  harping on about challenging for Premier league football next year!!

5 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Rubbish.. If we're going to go down the Ambition route the club needs to back this up its as simple and straight forward as that.

If however we wish to take the Setting good foundations and looking to progress in a sensible budget option as you put it maybe they should tell us this is the plan instead of  harping on about challenging for Premier league football next year!!

I've not heard the club talk about challenging for Premier League football next year.  Certainly not since the start of the season and I think that was Cotts rather than the club.  Recently the talk has all been about "ultimately becoming a Premier League club". Surely that is the same as telling us the plan is to settle good foundations and progress with a sensible budget?

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've not heard the club talk about challenging for Premier League football next year.  Certainly not since the start of the season.  Recently the talk has all been about "ultimately becoming a Premier League club". Surely that is the same as telling us the plan is to settle good foundations and progress with a sensible budget?

SL said exactly this in his radio Bristol interview just over a month ago..

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've not heard the club talk about challenging for Premier League football next year.  Certainly not since the start of the season and I think that was Cotts rather than the club.  Recently the talk has all been about "ultimately becoming a Premier League club". Surely that is the same as telling us the plan is to settle good foundations and progress with a sensible budget?

Landsdown said he wanted us to challenge next season. 

1 minute ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Im basing this on the fact that Lee Johnson is hardly pulling up tree's at Barnsley yet you think he could be a success here?

The fact is we don't know if he would be a success here.  We as fans don't know anything.  Yes, his performance at Barnsley is a factor you'd want the club to take into consideration and I'd be a bit worried if LJ was interviewed but not asked about the situation at Barnsley and what made him think he could have more success here but the key thing would be his answer to that question, plus understanding what his plans for the club were, how his personality and ethos fitted with the club and various other things which, as fans, we would not have access to.  So basically, as supporters, we simply do not have access to enough information to know which managers would work and which managers would not work. All we can do is guesswork.

I'm not saying I want Lee Johnson.  He wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list and I'd have a lot of concerns about what's happened at Barnsley.  But I'd be an utter fool to pretend I actually know enough to know whether he could be a success here.  Of course I don't.  And neither does any other fan. 

Archived