IGNORED

Lee Johnson hot favourite to be our next manager

iamsober

We have to remember as well that the two managers who have taken this club to the Promised Land were both rookies when we became their first managerial post. LJ has mega experience compared to them. We have also employed very experienced managers who have progressed our club not one iota. Masses of experience on a CV counts for diddly squat. A manager's vision and techniques and drive to make a name for himself can count for far more and bring greater reward even with little experience in the hot seat.

1 hour ago, citywest30 said:

And that he has a genuine affection for us. I think I would be a bit underwhelmed and a bit anxious as to whether he's what we need right now to ensure survival but could understand the board going for him and would get behind that with cautious optimism. 

Exactly how I would feel Citywest. Perfectly put.

Another worry is the constant dogs abuse he would get whenever it looked like going pear shaped from those that have always had it in for him. And it's a big worry at that!  

14 minutes ago, lenred said:

Exactly how I would feel Citywest. Perfectly put.

Another worry is the constant dogs abuse he would get whenever it looked like going pear shaped from those that have always had it in for him. And it's a big worry at that!  

And that I suspect is why he would never take the job or at least not for another ten years or so. Sad but true.

If the betting odds are indicitive then I think the Club are going in exactly the right direction in considering Lee J or John Pemberton.    I think there will be a feel good atmosphere about the Club with either appointment. Obviously results are the jey factor in that though.  Both appear to be very good man managers and astute coaches who favour a nice style of football without the stubborn recklessness or periodic truculence of Cotts. 

If LJ is appointed I would be very disappointed if JP is not kept on. He has handled things impeccably since taking on the interim role and deserves a lot of credit.  Crucially, the players play for him as well and he has shown common sense with substitutions and creativity with formations and players positions.  He appears to be working well with Mark Ashton as well on the recruitment side.

No striker on championship deadline day, LJ betting suspended, where are the other three horsemen (Wilbraham being one, naturally)?

If it is him, I can't pretend that I'd be disappointed.

50 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

So..you'd want him (or should there be a WOULDN'T in there )?

Not want as in he would be my selection because he wouldn't, but if he was appointed I wouldn't have strong feelings against it. 

To be honest I never had a problem with LJ. He wasn't the best player I've seen in a City shirt but he certainly wasn't the worse either. I felt he was a easy target for the boo boys at the time just because of who is Dad was. I never thought he was out of a place in the starting lineup although I know that many thought differently. He also comes across as very sensible and level headed in interviews, more so than his Dad ever did. He also seems to be a sound businessman with a bit of a brain. Now if he was given the job than I would be disappointed as I would prefer someone with Championship/Premiership experience but I also wouldn't be devastated by it either. I feel we could do a lot lot worse (and probably will)

7 minutes ago, Big C said:

To be honest I never had a problem with LJ. He wasn't the best player I've seen in a City shirt but he certainly wasn't the worse either. I felt he was a easy target for the boo boys at the time just because of who is Dad was. I never thought he was out of a place in the starting lineup although I know that many thought differently. He also comes across as very sensible and level headed in interviews, more so than his Dad ever did. He also seems to be a sound businessman with a bit of a brain. Now if he was given the job than I would be disappointed as I would prefer someone with Championship/Premiership experience but I also wouldn't be devastated by it either. I feel we could do a lot lot worse (and probably will)

What a ridiculously sensible post. 

13 minutes ago, Big C said:

To be honest I never had a problem with LJ. He wasn't the best player I've seen in a City shirt but he certainly wasn't the worse either. I felt he was a easy target for the boo boys at the time just because of who is Dad was. I never thought he was out of a place in the starting lineup although I know that many thought differently. He also comes across as very sensible and level headed in interviews, more so than his Dad ever did. He also seems to be a sound businessman with a bit of a brain. Now if he was given the job than I would be disappointed as I would prefer someone with Championship/Premiership experience but I also wouldn't be devastated by it either.

I feel we could do a lot lot worse (and probably will)

I feel we could do a lot better ( and probably won't)

So in some strange messed up way, I think I agree with you.

Lj strikes me as a progressive young manager, done well at Oldham and Barnsley, we could do worse. Although it would be under whelming considering some of the names suggested. He is probably more realistic. And has a genuine interest in bcfc. I'd be concerned that he would split the fans, a couple of bad results and the lj haters would be out in force.

4 minutes ago, Cider red said:

Lj strikes me as a progressive young manager, done well at Oldham and Barnsley, we could do worse. Although it would be under whelming considering some of the names suggested. He is probably more realistic. And has a genuine interest in bcfc. I'd be concerned that he would split the fans, a couple of bad results and the lj haters would be out in force.

That's the one thing that makes me reticent too.

Otherwise, given the jobs which were recently given to the relatively inexperienced Gary Rowett and Jimmy Floyd Hasslebank at this level, I don't see why BCFC is too big for Lee Johnson. 

I thought we were all led to believe that some big names had applied for the role, otherwise why would Ashton say "you'd be suprised who's names are up for the job" or some words like that.  I wouldn't class Lee Johnson as a manager that will come in and keep this club from getting relegated, to be honest would sooner stick with Pemberton if thats the only option we have after 2/3 weeks of searching for a new manager

Don't know why anyone would have a problem with him. Seems sensible, and past is irrelevant, it would be the future that counts. Whoever is in charge, we have to be realistic with our goals, we are not likely to go from relegation fodder to promotion contenders overnight.

9 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Don't know why anyone would have a problem with him. Seems sensible, and past is irrelevant, it would be the future that counts. Whoever is in charge, we have to be realistic with our goals, we are not likely to go from relegation fodder to promotion contenders overnight.

I see your point. But going from Relegation fodder to promotion contenders should be our goal, and sooner rather than later. I think Lee would possibly be a good boss (a la Monk) but I'm not sure that it's the best fit for a club in our current position. I still feel that it could be Pembo till the end of the season, but why take so long in announcing?

Archived