IGNORED

Lee Johnson hot favourite to be our next manager

iamsober

1 hour ago, wheatus59 said:

And what exactly do you base your claims on ?

1 hour ago, Ashtonboy said:

Why? What's he achieved in management? Is this his claim or qualified others? Would be a ridiculous appointment given our current situation and his lack of any real, or Championship experience.

Quite a few interviews others have spoken well of him and expect him to go onto much higher standards. As for what has he done, what had Gary Johnson, Derrick McInnes, Steve Cotterill, Sean O'Driscoll etc all done to be so worthy? Cotterill had at least some experience in the division above but he was working as a coach at the time when we approached him. History doesn't guarantee success.

30 minutes ago, samo II said:

Out of interest; has anyone considered Roberto Di Matteo might be in with a shout?

People may laugh at me, and I'm claiming no insider info, but was he not at WBA when Mark Ashton was there when they took him on from MK Dons?

Yes; he's managed some massive teams, but I understand he lived in England still, and his time in Germany was not considered a success, and has shown a willingness to take or apply for jobs outside the top level before, so just crossed my mind that he may be someone who Ashton would consider.

Not sure it is any more unrealistic than many names mentioned like Pearson.

He's won the champions league and FA cup as manager? So, yeh, I'd take him!

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He's won the champions league and FA cup as manager? So, yeh, I'd take him!

Ha!  Yeah, of course!

Was more the case of me trying to think of a "surprising" applicants, and those who might have a relationship or connection to our new head of footballing operations.

6 minutes ago, samo II said:

Ha!  Yeah, of course!

Was more the case of me trying to think of a "surprising" applicants, and those who might have a relationship or connection to our new head of footballing operations.

I wasn't having a go at you mate, I reckon Di Matteo is exactly the sort of person we should be after, if he is available 

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I wasn't having a go at you mate, I reckon Di Matteo is exactly the sort of person we should be after, if he is available 

Hadn't through you were; no worries.

It might sound bonkers as a suggestion, but with some of the names appearing, I figured; why not mention it.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Quite a few interviews others have spoken well of him and expect him to go onto much higher standards. As for what has he done, what had Gary Johnson, Derrick McInnes, Steve Cotterill, Sean O'Driscoll etc all done to be so worthy? Cotterill had at least some experience in the division above but he was working as a coach at the time when we approached him. History doesn't guarantee success.

History doesn't guarantee it but give you a much better chance .

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No, but we are discussing the title of this thread.

Are you happy for Lee Johnson to replace Steve Cotterill as City's next permanent manager?

Easy answer for me....

Not a chance.....I seriously do hope this is just the bookies getting it wrong.

Swap SC with LJ?? No thanks!!

I wouldn't want his dad back but would much rather have GJ than LJ.

I don't think SL will go for that, way way to much of a good businessman for that, even he knows that would be not good for business relegation under the leadership of LJ.

I don't want Pembo either, but imo Pembo would be far better choice if we are going to go down the cheap unproven route, at least he knows the players strengths etc.

Imagine LJ trying to give AF a half time bollocking :) id love to see that one....

2 hours ago, samo II said:

Ha!  Yeah, of course!

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I mentioned him when Cotts was sacked.  Obviously the stuff at Chelsea is a plus, but he also did a decent job at MKD.

...and the conspiracy theory.....

...was at West Brom too....wonder what the link is there.

Could see him being the right fit for us.

Lots of negative comments about LJ which are probably borne out of pre-conceived opinion of him as a 'player' at AG. 

No one should even consider what LJ did as a player here, it's what he can do as a manager that would matter in this decision. 

LJ is still cutting his teeth in the managerial world and no doubt learning very quickly from his experiences at Oldham & Barnsley. He's highly respected from what I hear and is very much a 21st century coach, rather than a throwback. Is he ready for this job right now! I'd probably say no. But he's definitely a manager to keep an eye on as from what I understand from people who've worked with him ( and indeed currently work with him) he's very much on an upward trajectory. 

People who turn their nose up at him because they disliked him as a player are simply blinkered. Judge him on his managerial record. Presently, that's not something that would sell him to most fans, I agree, but he's learning and improving. 

20 hours ago, BCFC Jordan said:

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Lots of negative comments about LJ which are probably borne out of pre-conceived opinion of him as a 'player' at AG. 

No one should even consider what LJ did as a player here, it's what he can do as a manager that would matter in this decision. 

LJ is still cutting his teeth in the managerial world and no doubt learning very quickly from his experiences at Oldham & Barnsley. He's highly respected from what I hear and is very much a 21st century coach, rather than a throwback. Is he ready for this job right now! I'd probably say no. But he's definitely a manager to keep an eye on as from what I understand from people who've worked with him ( and indeed currently work with him) he's very much on an upward trajectory. 

People who turn their nose up at him because they disliked him as a player are simply blinkered. Judge him on his managerial record. Presently, that's not something that would sell him to most fans, I agree, but he's learning and improving. 

I never had strong opinions either way about LJ the player.

I do have strong opinions on City possibly employing an unproven lower league manager based on nothing more than perceived potential and a rapport with some members of the board.

Judging him on his managerial record, as you suggest, it's a clear NO.

54 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I never had strong opinions either way about LJ the player.

I do have strong opinions on City possibly employing an unproven lower league manager based on nothing more than perceived potential and a rapport with some members of the board.

Judging him on his managerial record, as you suggest, it's a clear NO.

I disagree re it's a clear no judging on his managerial record. What had Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank or particularly Gary Rowett really done which meant they were obviously credible candidates for much bigger clubs whilst LJ ought not be viable for us? - and many on here were suggesting JFH as a possible future target for us during his Burton days.

When you bring his time here into the equation though then it becomes a no from me although I don't think he'd be a bad choice otherwise.

It's a no because we have a billy big bollox attitude amongst the club and fan base about what it acceptable (nothing wrong with ambition provided it's reasonable). Too many would be dying to turn on him at the drop of a hat and I fear he would not be afforded the patience he ought to be afforded from a significant enough proportion of the fan base. 

Had he not been marmite as a player I reckon he probably would have been one of our current primary targets. If he is, that would get no complaints from me. 

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

6 in the league

Saw they had 16 attempts on goal today, with a solitary late goal to win it.

If he did take over, at least he'd be at home, what with us hitting double digits in terms of chances.

Though at least his team can actually finish at least one of them...

Amazed that people can't see why we'd be interested.

Recruitment is a difficult business and the more you eliminate risk the more likely you are to make a good decision.

Lee is known by our owner, has lived in the City before and is compiling a very decent CV as a manager.

The role we are looking to fill now is a head coach, this would be exactly what he could be, as opposed to those candidates (like Pearson) who would want to be a "manager" in the way that Cotterill did.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if he became our next permanent head coach.

41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

They heard Mark Ashton say "you'd be surprised who is interested in the job" and took that to mean at least two things: 1, Ashton wasn't talking about a L1 or L2 coach and 2, we would appoint one of the "interested" coaches we would be "surprised" was "interested." 

57 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Recruitment is a difficult business and the more you eliminate risk the more likely you are to make a good decision.

Lee is known by our owner, has lived in the City before and is compiling a very decent CV as a manager.

The role we are looking to fill now is a head coach, this would be exactly what he could be, as opposed to those candidates (like Pearson) who would want to be a "manager" in the way that Cotterill did.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if he became our next permanent head coach.

I think he comes over as an astute man, level headed and getting better, I would have him.

He was particularly knowledgeable about who we'd already brought in and some L1 targets. If I was trying to read something in to it, I could quite easily believe he was happy with the transfer dealings in the way a potential new manager might be if they happened to have been run by them prior to contractual agreements and their announcement.

It was interesting as well, although I didn't see the whole programme so could be mistaken, that he wasn't asked about the City job. This despite the fact he is the hot favourite with the bookies. NP and NW and SP have been asked on progs they've appeared on and answered the question.  Yet LJ wasn't asked it at all. Makes me wonder if he expressly forbade them from asking that question. In which case it speaks volumes as it shows he is in for it or on the verge of landing it and wants nothing to hamper that. He doesn't want to get up the noses of City directors before the ink has been applied to the contract. Whereas the others were asked, and answered, because there was nothing at that moment to risk spoiling.

8 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

It was interesting as well, although I didn't see the whole programme so could be mistaken, that he wasn't asked about the City job. This despite the fact he is the hot favourite with the bookies. NP and NW and SP have been asked on progs they've appeared on and answered the question.  Yet LJ wasn't asked it at all. Makes me wonder if he expressly forbade them from asking that question. In which case it speaks volumes as it shows he is in for it or on the verge of landing it and wants nothing to hamper that. He doesn't want to get up the noses of City directors before the ink has been applied to the contract. Whereas the others were asked, and answered, because there was nothing at that moment to risk spoiling.

Yep this crossed my mind too. He's gone from being just a name that bookies have linked us with due to his past to now being a very likely candidate in my mind. Don't know how I'd feel tbh but he is definitely doing well at his career so far. Someone else made comparison to Eddie Howe and I don't know if this is the case but would we want to miss out on that if he is?

1 minute ago, citywest30 said:

Yep this crossed my mind too. He's gone from being just a name that bookies have linked us with due to his past to now being a very likely candidate. Don't know how I'd feel tbh but he is definitely doing well at his career so fad'veone else made comparison to Eddie However and I don't know if this is the case but would we want to miss out on that if he is?

That is just it. A lot of posters here keep saying that he is a manager for us in the future and he should do the biz with another Championship club first. But if he does the biz for them, he might not then come to us. A Prem club would be after him then. So he would have done the biz for another club and not US despite thefact we spotted his potential to do so first!

Archived