IGNORED

96 unlawfully killed / Supporters NOT Criminals (MERGED)

Bristol Rob

29 minutes ago, howey_ducky said:

The politicians voiced what they were being told from those in charge on the day this catastrophe happened.  There were no members of parliament there on the day, certainly not in positions of power.

It's a disgrace but not a national one.  It's a time to reflect and be thankful that we're much better protected now.

Not a time to be political (but I'm going to be) but I think you'll find in the next stage of the process, if not nobbled, that the exact opposite is true.  Don't want to argue in this thread but let's see what the endgame of this is.

They may not have been there but their policies didn't stop it and then they utilised it as a tool against the working class.  It could have been us that day and it would have been Bristol used as a weapon against old port towns in the doldrums.

shameful

Having just watched the documentary Im amazed by your stance. It appears one sided as that's the truth. What else did you want to know?

It's a bit like moaning that a documentary on Hitler didnt give light to his revitalisation of the automotive industry and just 'focused on the bad bits'.

41 minutes ago, howey_ducky said:

The politicians voiced what they were being told from those in charge on the day this catastrophe happened.  There were no members of parliament there on the day, certainly not in positions of power.

It's a disgrace but not a national one.  It's a time to reflect and be thankful that we're much better protected now.

Disagree completely. I don't think you're that naive. You post quite concise content usually and whatever the reason you have taken this viewpoint, I don't believe it to be a rational one.

10 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Not a time to be political (but I'm going to be) but I think you'll find in the next stage of the process, if not nobbled, that the exact opposite is true.  Don't want to argue in this thread but let's see what the endgame of this is.

They may not have been there but their policies didn't stop it and then they utilised it as a tool against the working class.  It could have been us that day and it would have been Bristol used as a weapon against old port towns in the doldrums.

shameful

It could well have been us.  It could well have been the metal barriers that stood between the old park end.  It could have happened at most grounds up and down the country.  Thankfully it didn't.  

Nothing was used as a tool against the "working class", the working class just happened to make up the majority football supporters at the time.  There would have been people in the Leppings lane end that day that would have been "over the top" on alcohol, the same at every ground in the country.  That's what the "working class" did in that era whilst watching football.

11 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Disagree completely. I don't think you're that naive. You post quite concise content usually and whatever the reason you have taken this viewpoint, I don't believe it to be a rational one.

I'm not naive.  I have read into what happened that day, from the doctered police statements to the Forest fans accounts.  The ruling is a good thing in my view, the police should be punished for the things they got wrong.  To blame politics and members of parliament for this is something that the British tend to do well over the years without really taking the blame for their own actions.

RIP the 96.  No fan should ever go to a football match and not return. 

7 hours ago, howey_ducky said:

I'm not naive.  I have read into what happened that day, from the doctered police statements to the Forest fans accounts.  The ruling is a good thing in my view, the police should be punished for the things they got wrong.  To blame politics and members of parliament for this is something that the British tend to do well over the years without really taking the blame for their own actions.

RIP the 96.  No fan should ever go to a football match and not return. 

So you honestly believe no Politician including Thatcher assisted in the cover up.?   

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The first part was alleged by none other than former Labour minister Andy Burnham this year, who is one of very few politicians who emerges from this saga with any credit at all.

The second part is in the public domain, Google "police pay rises under Thatcher" one of her first priorities on coming to power in 1979 was to give them a 45% pay rise, now why would she do that, I wonder...

Have a lot of time for Andy Burnham, he got slaughtered at a memorial service but he always said to the people of liverpool he would never give this up.

How sad.

Stephen Whittle, known as the 97th Hillsborough victim sold his ticket on 'that day' to his mate who died in the crush. He committed suicide a few years back throwing himself under a train, leaving £61,000 to the Hillsborough memorial trust.

Only found out yesterday that a colleague of mine was in the Leppings Lane end that day and considers himself very lucky to be alive 

Just goes to show that even though these things can feel so far detatched from you, either geographically or in terms of time (I was 2 y/o at the time), their impact is greater than you think. 

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Only found out yesterday that a colleague of mine was in the Leppings Lane end that day and considers himself very lucky to be alive 

Just goes to show that even though these things can feel so far detatched from you, either geographically or in terms of time (I was 2 y/o at the time), their impact is greater than you think. 

Was speaking to a colleague at work the other day. He was policing the other semi final. There were crushing issues outside the game there too, said he remembers a few of them being pinned up against a wall unable to move. 

43 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Was speaking to a colleague at work the other day. He was policing the other semi final. There were crushing issues outside the game there too, said he remembers a few of them being pinned up against a wall unable to move. 

Scary stuff. 

51 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Where was the other semi final?

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Villa Park. Norwich & Everton. 

4 minutes ago, Big C said:

The other semi was Everton v Norwich at Villa Park

Cheers both. Never knew there were problems at that game too.

37 minutes ago, Super said:

Cheers both. Never knew there were problems at that game too.

During that period there were crushes at many matches. I can remember being in a few scary moments watching City. It was normal and I guess, whilst foresight would have been a wonderful thing, we should have seen it coming.

The big difference at Hillsborough that year was Duckenfield was inexperienced when it came to football and had only been placed in charge 19 days before the match. He screwed up big time and everything the police did afterwards was trying to cover up that fact.

After reading various articles since the verdict, I think the main culprit in all of this is Peter Wright, the man who put Duckenfield in charge at such short notice because he felt the previous guy in charge wasn't enough of a disciplinarian and wanted to teach him a lesson.

12 hours ago, BCFC Jordan said:

As Margaret Aspinall said during the vigil yesterday evening, the families have had 27 years of sleepless nights, it's time for some to have theirs now.

Very powerful speech by Andy Burnham in the Commons today -

Great speech.

Can't argue with any of that !

1 hour ago, phantom said:

and now the families are also going to the high court to bring about misconduct charges against the West Midlands Police force !

Shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone !!!

As odious an outfit the WMP are, even I might give them the benefit of the doubt and absolve them of blame for this one.

edit:  cover up after.  I was reading involvement on the day.  Go get the bastards.

2 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

As odious an outfit the WMP are, even I might give them the benefit of the doubt and absolve them of blame for this one.

They were complicit in the cover up,do the b*******.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

and now the families are also going to the high court to bring about misconduct charges against the West Midlands Police force !

Shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone !!!

The legal proceedings against South Yorks and West Midlands began last year. I don't think anyone will be surprised to hear of West Midlands involvement. They were the ones who carried out the original investigation into officers at South Yorks. West Midlands were involved in the systematic cover-up of what happened at Hillsborough.

Like South Yorks, West Midlands (as we know from City's experiences at Walsall/Wolves etc) are another bully boy police force and the officers involved will hopefully get their comupence and get hit by this legal action where it really hurts.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The legal proceedings against South Yorks and West Midlands began last year. I don't think anyone will be surprised to hear of West Midlands involvement. They were the ones who carried out the original investigation into officers at South Yorks. West Midlands were involved in the systematic cover-up of what happened at Hillsborough.

Like South Yorks, West Midlands (as we know from City's experiences at Walsall/Wolves etc) are another bully boy police force and the officers involved will hopefully get their comupence and get hit by this legal action where it really hurts.

Yes, in THEIR pockets and pension funds, NOT the taxpayer, who often pays out when the old bill **** up !

Archived