IGNORED

Kodija - Departs for 11 Million (Merged)

mozo

8 hours ago, Swede said:

I hear Palace are preparing to bid £12M for Kodjia.

Be interesting to see who we'll have lined up as a replacement as he'll be off at that price.

That's not a move I'd have a problem with.

They would play him, as having let a bunch of players go this summer, they only really have Wickham and the frequently mentioned Campbell as out-and-out strikers.

I think he'd need to adapt quickly to be a regular for them, but £12 million for back up/squad player in the premier league isn't that outrageous these days, unbelievably.

Might even free up Campbell/involve him coming here; who knows.  Either way; if he goes to the top level for £10 million plus, I'd be happy for him.

Was actually really good to hear Steve Lansdown's unequivocal statement regards who and what we'll sell Kodjia for.  Regardless of price, as a City fan I don't want him going to Norwich or Villa, as would leave a bad taste in the mouth regards our ambition at this level.

But £10 million plus from a team at the top table; doubt many would question the logic of that given it would fund and replacement, as well as a healthy bank balance (plus, Abrahams has shown we've now got at least one other option).

I like Kodjia a lot, and hope he stays to help us move forward, but if he goes for a club record fee and a dream move for him, he'd go with my blessing.

25 minutes ago, samo II said:

That's not a move I'd have a problem with.

They would play him, as having let a bunch of players go this summer, they only really have Wickham and the frequently mentioned Campbell as out-and-out strikers.

I think he'd need to adapt quickly to be a regular for them, but £12 million for back up/squad player in the premier league isn't that outrageous these days, unbelievably.

Might even free up Campbell/involve him coming here; who knows.  Either way; if he goes to the top level for £10 million plus, I'd be happy for him.

Was actually really good to hear Steve Lansdown's unequivocal statement regards who and what we'll sell Kodjia for.  Regardless of price, as a City fan I don't want him going to Norwich or Villa, as would leave a bad taste in the mouth regards our ambition at this level.

But £10 million plus from a team at the top table; doubt many would question the logic of that given it would fund and replacement, as well as a healthy bank balance (plus, Abrahams has shown we've now got at least one other option).

I like Kodjia a lot, and hope he stays to help us move forward, but if he goes for a club record fee and a dream move for him, he'd go with my blessing.

Can't argue with any of that. Though if it were to happen I'd much rather it would have been in July rather than August, when we had more time (and less pressure) to reinvest the funds in the squad. 

If we get a windfall at this stage for JK then we will be held to ransom for any targets of our own. 

29 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Can't argue with any of that. Though if it were to happen I'd much rather it would have been in July rather than August, when we had more time (and less pressure) to reinvest the funds in the squad. 

If we get a windfall at this stage for JK then we will be held to ransom for any targets of our own. 

Agree, but the transfer market is a pain like that.  At least the young lad Abrahams is in the door, and we have Burns up beyond the wall who could be brought back in January if he starts tearing it up.

Equally; Campbell hasn't featured in any of Palace's last three friendly games, and has been consistently linked with a move away.  I don't know if he's injured, but I'd be happy if he came in to replace Kodjia.

5 minutes ago, samo II said:

Agree, but the transfer market is a pain like that.  At least the young lad Abrahams is in the door, and we have Burns up beyond the wall who could be brought back in January if he starts tearing it up.

Equally; Campbell hasn't featured in any of Palace's last three friendly games, and has been consistently linked with a move away.  I don't know if he's injured, but I'd be happy if he came in to replace Kodjia.

Good point. If Campbell came our way as part of the deal it would certainly soften the blow. 

Though I thought Abraham really brought the best out of Kodjia yesterday, and to not get to see them develop a partnership would be a great shame, as I think when they're on the same wavelength it could be a joy to watch. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Good point. If Campbell came our way as part of the deal it would certainly soften the blow. 

Though I thought Abraham really brought the best out of Kodjia yesterday, and to not get to see them develop a partnership would be a great shame, as I think when they're on the same wavelength it could be a joy to watch. 

Of course, for me the ideal is we keep both and we end up with a pairing that scares defences all season!

I just thought the nature of Lansdown's statements yesterday, including mentioning how Kodjia is among our best paid players and how others might turn his head, made me wonder if there isn't something going on.

I'm pragmatic about it; if he gets a Premier League offer, and the money is right for us, I'd be sad but wouldn't mind him going (a little like with Albert).

But I strongly believe that we shouldn't sell 'sideways' with Kodjia; we are looking to progress, and handing our top players to sides we will be playing acts against that.

16 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Agree with that, and also what Sl said, over 10M and to Prem only. You cannot stop a player moving up, if anything it helps us sign others as they can see we can improve them. I don't think FC is that good and I know I am in the minority on here with that view, but at 28 he is what he is. We are never going to be allowed to sign Tammy, so let's hope the boys have identified a couple of hot new talents . Though IMHO, anyone for  2 to 3 million, and available, we would have signed already. So in 3 weeks not sure what we going to do. I am sure Bolasie is off based on bids Palarse are making. We should take cash and not help them out with dumping  FC. 

I'd be happy with Campbell, but was more mentioning him as we've already been linked, but I agree; would rather we reinvested in a younger player with potential; after all, that's how you end up getting players like Kodjia sold on for such great money!

I think the arrival of Abraham has maybe given us some leeway when it comes to Kodjia going; we can say we have a genuinely promising looking option if someone was to drop big money on Kodjia tomorrow.

My hope is we have someone lined up we can pull the trigger on if we end up with a good sum in our pocket.  Hints we are trailing Sander Svendsen are interesting; highly spoken of a year or so ago, but stil only just 19 - he'd be the kind of risk I would like us to take, if we could truly compete for his signature.

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

If clubs are waiting to watch a few games from Kodjia this season then yesterday wouldn't have helped him get to the Premier League.  I'd certainly sell for £10m.

I agree not his best game by any means. If the bloke could pick his head up in and around the box we might of turned the game around before the 90th minute with the amount of balls he could of played to team mates.

He has undoubted skill and even at his age potential but needs a lot of work on certain aspects of his game. 

If the rumours of CP coming in with £10m+ are true I'd wish JK the best and hope we can find another 20 goal a season man for a fraction of that price.

I agree with everyone above and certainly wouldn't be against selling Kodjia to Palace for £10m+. This is what we have to start doing if we want to be sustainable. If we could get Frazier Campbell coming the other way as part of the deal or for c.£2m then we would have another £8m odd to look for a new striker with high potential.

If we play this well we could then have 5 strikers (Abrahams, Campbell, new signing, Agard and Wilbs) plus reducing our net spend this season to about £2m depending on how much we spend replacing JK. This I feel would create some solid foundations from which to solidify our position in the Championship and push for promotion to the PL.

Good times ahead! Although I would probably rather the Palace interest was not true and we keep our squad as it is!

12 minutes ago, joeyb said:

I agree with everyone above and certainly wouldn't be against selling Kodjia to Palace for £10m+. This is what we have to start doing if we want to be sustainable. If we could get Frazier Campbell coming the other way as part of the deal or for c.£2m then we would have another £8m odd to look for a new striker with high potential.

If we play this well we could then have 5 strikers (Abrahams, Campbell, new signing, Agard and Wilbs) plus reducing our net spend this season to about £2m depending on how much we spend replacing JK. This I feel would create some solid foundations from which to solidify our position in the Championship and push for promotion to the PL.

Good times ahead! Although I would probably rather the Palace interest was not true and we keep our squad as it is!

I just wonder whether we would use a chunk of that 10m Kodjia fee to balance the books. If we're -7.5m right now it would be strange for SL to not try to recoup some of that. 

Maybe we are spending freely because we expect Kodjia profit and potential Bolasie sell on windfall. 

Just now, mozo said:

I just wonder whether we would use a chunk of that 10m Kodjia fee to balance the books. If we're -7.5m right now it would be strange for SL to not try to recoup some of that. 

Maybe we are spending freely because we expect Kodjia profit and potential Bolasie sell on windfall. 

That's what I was saying when I said reducing our net spend to about £2m.

Currently at £7.5m. Say we sell for £10m and bring in FC and another striker with potential for £2.5m each - this takes our net spend to £2.5m.

This was we recoup a large part of our spending this summer plus have a good number of strikers especially with Burns still available after his loan.

I see QPR have just signed a JK like signing (Yeni Ngbakoto), done well in Ligue 2 last season & earned promotion (as JK did in France).

Apparently there was strong competition for his signature & I'd be surprised if we weren't one of the clubs in for him but if we we're in for him, we've sadly missed out.

Is there another possible signing from Serie B? As LJ managed to get with HM?

Scoping all the major countries 'B' divisions looks like it's the way to maybe go to unearth that unknown (in the mainstream) player, which obviously has it's own risks as is there a reason why they are only playing 2nd level football?

I'd like to think that we'd have options out there, through Des Taylor, LJ & our contacts throughout Europe but I'd also be surprised that if there was someone out there for £2m-£3m, we would be already in for them rather than needing to sell JK first to get such a player in.

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I know we had be linked with Abraham for some weeks. I wonder if we got wind of a Prem teams interest which triggered the urgency with Abraham and the addressing of Steve L yesterday to prepare the fans. 

From LJs comments yesterday it looks like we've been trying to get the deal for Tammy over the line all summer, but had to wait for his return with England then Chelsea.  LJ said he'd put other transfer targets on hold...guessing so that he could guarantee the right amount of game time and development for him.

Was it John Ward who chased Tony Thorpe all summer, couldn't get him, so got Soren Anderson to partner Ade Akinbiyi.  Suddenly Thorpe became available and we had 3 strikers to fit in.

Guessing LJ didn't want this conundrum.

I really was not expecting that much from Tammy, but we've now got a JK/TA pairing, but also the ability to play either on their own (but not being often judging by yesterday) or with Wilbs, possibly Agard....to allow the I'd rest here and there.

Funny how you go into a season thinking you know your best team, formation, etc....and it changes within 65 minutes of your opening game.

The beauty of a squad of match day players, not 11 plus 'others'.

Are CP trying to flex the Bolassie sell-on to their advantage.  Hardball, not Moneyball is needed SL/MA!  These two strikers give me massive optimism.  £20m - that's a different story!

4 minutes ago, redpole said:

If we sell kodja for 12 million i would hope we looked at Britt Assombalonga for around 8 million. Proved his fitness end of season and start of this season. 

As much as I would love to have Assombalonga at the club, there is no way they'd sell him to us, and certainly not for £8 million - I think the full deal for him to move to Foresr added up to similar to that, and Peterborough will have a sell on; they're no mugs when it comes to selling strikers.

Imagine it might be someone from a lower level, or abroad if we were to reinvest.  Ultimately, it's so hard to find gems like Kodjia I hope we keep him!

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

If clubs are waiting to watch a few games from Kodjia this season then yesterday wouldn't have helped him get to the Premier League.  I'd certainly sell for £10m.

Hate to say it because I love the way he battles, but we would score more goals (across the team) from the chances we are making if we had someone in his position who had a football brain. Flint's in front of their goal un-marked guess what Jimmy does?

21 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Hate to say it because I love the way he battles, but we would score more goals (across the team) from the chances we are making if we had someone in his position who had a football brain. Flint's in front of their goal un-marked guess what Jimmy does?

Thing is: the same instincts that make him look bad in situations like are the same instincts that got him scoring 19 league goals last year.

People say it a lot, but if the players at City were the complete package, they'd not be at City.

Kodjia may not look up much, be that to see whether he's on-side or to make a pass, but he is an unpredictable player who has embarrassed his fair share of defences at this level.  

If/when he improves that element of his game, I think we'll all know we'll not be able to keep him much longer. 

5 minutes ago, samo II said:

Thing is: the same instincts that make him look bad in situations like are the same instincts that got him scoring 19 league goals last year.

People say it a lot, but if the players at City were the complete package, they'd not be at City.

Kodjia may not look up much, be that to see whether he's on-side or to make a pass, but he is an unpredictable player who has embarrassed his fair share of defences at this level.  

If/when he improves that element of his game, I think we'll all know we'll not be able to keep him much longer. 

Agree with a lot of this mate. Albert used to infuriate me in a similiar way that Jimmy does. He was loved and tolerated for different reasons. Jimmy's unpredictability is an important part of his game and he is strong enough to go it alone in situations where others wouldn't and get a goal for us. Wonder sometimes whether the football brain can be coached if you don't have much of it? Also wonder how the players with football brains in our side regard him. I suppose it's a more crucial factor when we lose and goal-scoring chances have been wasted?

6 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Agree with a lot of this mate. Albert used to infuriate me in a similiar way that Jimmy does. He was loved and tolerated for different reasons. Jimmy's unpredictability is an important part of his game and he is strong enough to go it alone in situations where others wouldn't and get a goal for us. Wonder sometimes whether the football brain can be coached if you don't have much of it? Also wonder how the players with football brains in our side regard him. I suppose it's a more crucial factor when we lose and goal-scoring chances have been wasted?

It's a good question.

When he plays with Wilbraham I always think he looks a good 10% better, simply because that footballing intelligence is something Wilbs has in spades; his 'smarts' is one of the reasons he's kept going so long.

1 hour ago, samo II said:

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'm with you two.

People have latched onto LJ's 18 year old comment too much though.  It's those off the cuff things he does that would've been coached out if him at other French clubs, had he cone through 'the system'.  Funny how our immaturely football-brained top scorer is on the same footballing wavelength as Lee Tomlin isn't it!

Of course he's not perfect, can be frustrating, but he's a diamond to us at the mo'.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm with you two.

People have latched onto LJ's 18 year old comment too much though.  It's those off the cuff things he does that would've been coached out if him at other French clubs, had he cone through 'the system'.  Funny how our immaturely football-brained top scorer is on the same footballing wavelength as Lee Tomlin isn't it!

Of course he's not perfect, can be frustrating, but he's a diamond to us at the mo'.

Yup. He has his moments that probably frustrate everyone from us to his teammates to his coaches but he's also got that magic that can net him 19 league goals. As you've said before, he makes lots of unselfish runs and wears defenders out. If he was more clinical and picked out players as well, he wouldn't be here. Fact he doesn't do those things and still linked with 8 figure transfer fees shows how talented he actually is despite his flaws. Goals win games. Zlatan did nothing today and scored the winner. Its the nature of strikers. They aren't always out there to make an impact in all areas. They're out there to score and JK does a good job of that. He didn't score yesterday, was isolated and yet still had 2-3 good chances to score made from his ability alone. Unfairly criticised at times IMO. When he does go and is replaced with an 11 goal scorer you will really see what we had. 

Archived