IGNORED

City Fans in France

Big Red Rich

18 hours ago, Super said:

Why don't we ever see other sets of fans spending all day in bars getting pissed? Do they go sight seeing or something?

As an Englishman abroad when I come home I am actually surprised by the quantity of alcohol that Brits consume and think totally normal . I now have difficulty keeping up !

Couple this with the heat and the misunderstandings of other people's culture and bingo , a recipe for disaster.

It has to be said that Marseille is the most volatile city in France , can't think why UEFA would want to put England there ...

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

As an Englishman abroad when I come home I am actually surprised by the quantity of alcohol that Brits consume and think totally normal . I now have difficulty keeping up !

Couple this with the heat and the misunderstandings of other people's culture and bingo , a recipe for disaster.

It has to be said that Marseille is the most volatile city in France , can't think why UEFA would want to put England there ...

Do we really not understand their bingo? I thought the rules were pretty much universal.

24 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I reckon you're onto something. I've just come back from a couple of weeks away with the family where I drank barely anything, probably as much as I drink in one heavy night here school tonight will will undoubtedly be.   Must be something in the air in our green and pleasant land! 

There has been plenty of eye witness accounts where normal England fans have been targeted by the local gangs, Russian hooligans and the police's OTT heavy handed tactics. I find it astonishing that the gutter press and people still seem to tar every England fan with the same brush! 99.5% of England fans are there to have a good time and mostly support England.... The constant provocation is ridiculous.

Besides the Russian, Polish and German hooligans train for these tournaments. Their all musclebound waiting to show off their MMA skills...

England fans are being targeted and provoked due to a long-standing reputation earned in spades by idiots of times past.

It's something that will take a long time to rid ourselves of, and even then only when the fans out there stop reacting to provocation and instead choose to ignore it. It's not easy, but it's the only way things will ever change.

6 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

England fans are being targeted and provoked due to a long-standing reputation earned in spades by idiots of times past.

It's something that will take a long time to rid ourselves of, and even then only when the fans out there stop reacting to provocation and instead choose to ignore it. It's not easy, but it's the only way things will ever change.

Yes i'm sure getting punched and kicked purely just because your English isn't easy, hey but just ignore it and maybe they'll go away after giving you the beating :facepalm:

As a human being you have the right to defend yourself especially if you're going to get hurt for doing nothing wrong

Let's get things in perspective, it's England...the paparazzi are loving the moment in theirs droves, strange how they are always in the right place at the right time to catch the "trouble" what a load of crap, these arsoles pay people to kick off and be arsoles, and as for the Russians and the local ultras are concerned, they  just want to be the guy who had a pop at England so they can whack it on face off and appear cool...utter **** fest that will get worse

7 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Thing is Rich sticks and stones can break your bones and its that sort of provocation thats hard to ignore. When you hear of a lone Englishman being set upon by a gang  knocked out and thrown in the harbour it really isn't surprising that a siege mentality develops. A man with his wife over there tweeted earlier about being in a bar with no issues until the police decided it was closing time and simply sprayed tear gas into the bar. The English then wandered out to be picked off by roaming gangs of French/whatever with the police doing nothing. I wasn't there of course neither were the self righteous tits on here automatically blaming all the English caught up in this as "morons" People who are there have seen incidents  involving the police and presumably locals which are criminal and should not be subject to a media blind eye.

18 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Just out of interest, what would you do if you were out there in a bar minding your own business and were then set upon by the locals and tear gassed by the police?

12 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Just out of interest, what would you do if you were out there in a bar minding your own business and were then set upon by the locals and tear gassed by the police?

1. Chris Slegg, a BBC London reporter on holiday in Marseille for the football, said he had been at a bar with friends and other fans on Friday night, watching France's game against Romania, and the atmosphere had been friendly.

However, shortly after the match finished, a group of 20 to 30 French youths had emerged from side streets and thrown firecrackers and bottles at people who had been watching the game outside the bar, he said. The incident had been completely unprovoked, he said.

. Dave Tomlinson, from the Football Supporters' Federation, who is in Marseille, told the BBC it had been "disappointing to see any problems" involving England supporters.

"We understand from the reports that it's a very small minority of England fans that have been involved," he said.

"We also understand that unfortunately there has been quite a lot of provocation from the French and also the Russian elements that are in the area."

He also said the style of policing was "a little bit different" from what England fans would be used to.

"The first option at the moment seems to be that the French police are going to put tear gas in the areas where there are potentially going to be problems."

These comments from respectable people in the area so can all the armchair experts please develop a balanced view.

28 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Are you serious? Virtually all of the media are now reporting gangs of Russians in dressed in black, with their faces covered, are attacking English fans all over the Old Port. Would you not try to protect your family or friends from such violence? You would just let them kick the shit out of you would you?

17 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Are you serious? Virtually all of the media are now reporting gangs of Russians in dressed in black, with their faces covered, are attacking English fans all over the Old Port. Would you not try to protect your family or friends from such violence? You would just let them kick the shit out of you would you?

If that is happening I would suggest not putting yourself in the firing line and staying the **** out of the way.

Like it or not, England fans have the reputation and are targets, and it's not going to change unless they stay completely out of trouble.

One England fan reportedly battling for his life after suffering horrific head injuries after being battered by Russian supporter. Undergoing CPR.

Gangs of black clad Russian thugs chasing English fans down side streets, reports of numerous head injuries, and apparent knife wounds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/11/england-and-russia-fans-clash-in-marseilles-ahead-of-euro-2016-g/

England fans don't help themselves by singing anti-German, anti-Irish and sit down if you hate the French songs, and they haven't even started on the Welsh yet!! I'm afraid I went away too many times watching England in the 80s and 90s to know how shockingly poor the English behave, I have genuine sympathy with the majority of English fans who get caught up in this

If that is happening I would suggest not putting yourself in the firing line and staying the **** out of the way.

Like it or not, England fans have the reputation and are targets, and it's not going to change unless they stay completely out of trouble.

What if trouble comes looking for you?

11 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Ridiculous comment! sometimes incidents are unavoidable... especially if you have these russian morons hunting down English fans. 

The people getting beaten up didn't 'put themselves in the firing line', they went for a drink ffs. So, should no-one ever watch England abroad again in order to usher in your utopian era?

12 minutes ago, harrys said:

England fans don't help themselves by singing anti-German, anti-Irish and sit down if you hate the French songs, and they haven't even started on the Welsh yet!! I'm afraid I went away too many times watching England in the 80s and 90s to know how shockingly poor the English behave, I have genuine sympathy with the majority of English fans who get caught up in this

I'm sure the German, Welsh, Irish and French have a few anti English songs of their own... The Welsh definitely do

It's always someone else's fault with football fans I've come to learn. 

If it's not heavy handed domestic forces, it's heavy handed French police, French ultras and russian gangs. 

Now I'm not saying that any of these problems are the fault of English fans in France, but the way some of you talk on here, it's like you won't accept that some of them are well up for a bit of trouble. They clearly are. But some of you just won't have it and would happily hand out knighthoods for the well behaved English. 

I didn't have any trouble in France 98, but then I didn't go looking for it. 

We need perspective on both sides here. 

Archived