IGNORED

City Fans in France

Big Red Rich

Much of the problems outside the ground have been caused by the locals. It was the same in 1998. I was there and saw lines of cars with English number plates deliberately targeted and their windows smashed in. I was then getting a train back with my missus, and was spat at for no reason - all by the French locals, not the Tunisian opposition.

I'm not saying the English fans are innocent, far from it, but they are being antagonized by the locals in what is a horrible, horrible place.

Once we move away from Marseille the atmosphere will be completely different.

9 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Seems to me that the French Authorities rightly concerned about terrorism have taken their eyes off the ball where hooliganism is concerned.

How could people be allowed to take flares, glass bottles, knives etc into the stadium?

But when it comes to getting flares, bottles and knives into a stadium surely the terror threat should have been enough to ensure they couldn't bring them in. You don't need to make a distinction between hooliganism and terrorism when it comes to stadium security.

All this trouble in Marseille and Nice makes you wonder whether in the current climate the tournament should have happened. 

But money comes before people and if UEFA's coffers are filled, a death or two won't stop them sleeping at night.

The authorities clearly cannot cope and I'm sure there will be greater troubles to come.

On a side note, if the tournament were staged in the UK, would you think similar organised British holigans would storm pubs and restaurants looking for trouble? 

Oh and roll on Russia 2018. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well, I can't wait to leave Marseille. Yesterday will certainly live long in the memory. 

First bar we were in with a lot of City. Load of locals came along and appeared to start on some PSG fans, bottles thrown then some England reacted. All went off with England leaving the bar. 

We then went round corner to harbour front and this is when things went mental. Organised mob of 200 Russians started coming down the hill launching chairs, bottles fireworks. They were attacking an area where there was probably 1,000 England drinking in sun. When they got to bottom of hill England mobbed up and started defending the area. England chased the Russians up the hill many times and also got pushed back many times. There was around 400 fans fighting for over half an hour whilst 6 riot fans waited round the corner doing nothing.

It felt all day like the police had no control. Saw some England with nasty injuries, one bloke covered head to toe in blood. Broken glass all over the floor, tear gas in the air.

My mate got whacked 4 times with a truncheon outside ground for asking a copper which way to England end! A West Ham fan we know there with his wife took a chair round the head from a Russian and has a nasty cut.

Off to Nice now, hopefully be a bit quieter. From what I know no City out here injured.

We swerved the port totally yesterday:  got parked up about 5pm and just had a few beers in a hotel up Avenue Prado from the ground.  The friends we met had been in Marseille since Thursday night and noted it had gotten increasingly ugly as the days went on.  Missed the pre-match tear gassing at Rond-Pont du Prado by a couple of minutes, and other than typical herding like cattle and congestion at the check-points, things went OK.

Ended up driving back to Nice quicker than my friend managed to walk back to his hotel in Marseille.

May spot you down in Nice this afternoon @Kid in the Riot.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well, I can't wait to leave Marseille. Yesterday will certainly live long in the memory. 

First bar we were in with a lot of City. Load of locals came along and appeared to start on some PSG fans, bottles thrown then some England reacted. All went off with England leaving the bar. 

We then went round corner to harbour front and this is when things went mental. Organised mob of 200 Russians started coming down the hill launching chairs, bottles fireworks. They were attacking an area where there was probably 1,000 England drinking in sun. When they got to bottom of hill England mobbed up and started defending the area. England chased the Russians up the hill many times and also got pushed back many times. There was around 400 fans fighting for over half an hour whilst 6 riot fans waited round the corner doing nothing.

It felt all day like the police had no control. Saw some England with nasty injuries, one bloke covered head to toe in blood. Broken glass all over the floor, tear gas in the air.

My mate got whacked 4 times with a truncheon outside ground for asking a copper which way to England end! A West Ham fan we know there with his wife took a chair round the head from a Russian and has a nasty cut.

Off to Nice now, hopefully be a bit quieter. From what I know no City out here injured.

Never has a user name been more appropriate -  keep safe and enjoy the tournament

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sounds awful. 

Hope it's nice in Nice

I think it's now apparent that,on this occasion, you couldn't necessarily stay out of it regardless of your personal situation.

I don't think England fans travel 'looking for trouble' any more, as has been pointed out, most of the hooligans these days are too 'old, fat and drunk'. But they still have the reputation from days of old, and the locals and Russians that were indeed out looking to start trouble knew that only too well. The videos make it pretty clear that, once it began, there were England fans throwing bottles and chairs and posturing with the best of them although the majority of fans caught up in it would have been more interested in getting out of the way rather than fighting back.

I hope the worst of the trouble has now passed with both Marseilles and Russia behind us, and that the fans out there can now enjoy the tournament the way it should be enjoyed and that everyone now stays safe.

10 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I think it's now apparent that,on this occasion, you couldn't necessarily stay out of it regardless of your personal situation.

I don't think England fans travel 'looking for trouble' any more, as has been pointed out, most of the hooligans these days are too 'old, fat and drunk'. But they still have the reputation from days of old, and the locals and Russians that were indeed out looking to start trouble knew that only too well. The videos make it pretty clear that, once it began, there were England fans throwing bottles and chairs and posturing with the best of them although the majority of fans caught up in it would have been more interested in getting out of the way rather than fighting back.

I hope the worst of the trouble has now passed with both Marseilles and Russia behind us, and that the fans out there can now enjoy the tournament the way it should be enjoyed and that everyone now stays safe.

Wise words

11 minutes ago, bcfcRobbo said:

Anyone else worried about the close proximity of Russian fans when we play Wales in Lens? They'll have played Slovakia the day before in Lille (30 mins away).

Also as Lens doesn't have a Fan zone, UEFA have advised ticketless English to go to the Zone...in Lille

1 hour ago, bcfcRobbo said:

Anyone else worried about the close proximity of Russian fans when we play Wales in Lens? They'll have played Slovakia the day before in Lille (30 mins away).

I was in Lens in 98. We were all set up to play Germany, but Romania beat us leaving me with a ticket for Germany v Croatia. 

I still went and it was a great game, but the surrounding areas are dire. Unless here's been significant investment in the past few years then expect trouble outside the ground. Lots of rat runs and baron space  

Having said that the one thing that stood out for me was the police presence at that game. Lines of riot police with big guns and Alsatians. 

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

on his high horse again

I fear this isn't the end, and Lille/Lens has massive potential for nasty surprises. I will be surprised if the sanctions against Russia extend beyond a token fine and a suspended points  deduction for future tournaments (i.e. the next euros). Had it been England charging Russia in the stadium, setting off flares and marauding around, I would wager pretty much anything that we would have been kicked out of the tournament. 

As a side note, I realized this morning that I have not read a single match report since the tournament began, instead I've spent hours watching and reading events from outside the ground. 

This tournament could descend into a shambles, and I sincerely hope more sinister factions don't take advantage of the blatant failings of France's security services. 

Frankly, the violence - what a surprise - is sickening.

What would we say if it happened in the middle of Bristol??

You can't have it. If it was down to me, I would insist on an apology from the British PM; the UK government to pay for the damages to the City, and an appropriate good-will / compensation payment.

Oh yes; and England to be ejected from the competition.

Law & Order is more important than sport.

It is a total disgrace.

Uncle TFR

N.B. I am talking about England fans - NOT City fans specifically.

I'm out here and for the most part have avoided all trouble.

In the fanzone friday night there were a few idiots trying to chant anti-french songs and antagonise the locals. The majority of the english there made it clear they thought these guys were idiots.

Everyone I have spoken to, French, Swiss, English, Irish, Romanian and Austrian have been friendly and its been great. Only ones that seem completey rude, ignorant and no interest in talking were the russians.

Luckily we werent caught up in anything yesterday but we didnt go out until 5ish, and watched the Wales game in the brasserie on the corner outside the ground. Great atmosphere in their with England fans in fine voice and no trouble at all.

Im guessing the majority of the trouble has happened in specific areas - if you dont want to get caught up in it, just avoid those areas.

8 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Frankly, the violence - what a surprise - is sickening.

What would we say if it happened in the middle of Bristol??

You can't have it. If it was down to me, I would insist on an apology from the British PM; the UK government to pay for the damages to the City, and an appropriate good-will / compensation payment.

Oh yes; and England to be ejected from the competition.

Law & Order is more important than sport.

It is a total disgrace.

Uncle TFR

N.B. I am talking about England fans - NOT City fans specifically.

What a silly post. Why would you demand all that? Majority of trouble has not been started by the English.

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

What a silly post. Why would you demand all that? Majority of trouble has not been started by the English.

Sorry - did you read the bit about Law & Order being important?

Clearly you think all English fans are saints, and there is never trouble at England games??

If it happened in Bristol, I would be calling for the fans from that country to be banned. You can only ban them, realistically, if you don't have the team playing.

Think about it.

There won't ever be a big tournament with games in Bristol, because of idiots like the minority of fans who behave like this.

It's pissing on your own chips on an industrial scale.

If it wasn't the Russians, it would be someone else. If you can't see that, then I feel sorry for you.

Uncle TFR

44 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Clearly you think all English fans are saints, and there is never trouble at England games??

I'm not far off 150 England games and trouble at the game is very, very rare these days. The trouble at last night's game was caused by the Russians (setting off fireworks, fans charging into a neutral section  of the ground after the final whistle). 

Not claiming all England fans are saints, but trouble at games? Very rare, and even rarer for it be instigated by England fans. 

1 hour ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

If it happened in Bristol, I would be calling for the fans from that country to be banned. You can only ban them, realistically, if you don't have the team playing.

Think about it.

There won't ever be a big tournament with games in Bristol, because of idiots like the minority of fans who behave like this.

It's pissing on your own chips on an industrial scale.

If it wasn't the Russians, it would be someone else. If you can't see that, then I feel sorry for you.

Uncle TFR

So why only England? Do you condone what the Russians did in the stadium?

Never once said all English are saints, but in the contrary you are saying we are all, and the only ones, misbehaving which is simply not the case. yes there are some English idiots out here who can't handle their drink, there are probably also a few out here looking for trouble. That said, there are literally hundreds or more Russians and French organised gangs STARTING trouble. 

44 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Can you imagine a mob of 300 blokes not being wrapped up by the police here? 

The police have had a nightmare in Marseille.  They seemed totally unprepared and incompetent.  UEFA should be asking serious questions of the French plod and FA. 

18 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Can you imagine a mob of 300 blokes not being wrapped up by the police here? 

Difference seems to be that these 300 Russian blokes would just fight with the police and cause trouble until they could break away in groups and then reform. They seem to be highly trained and highly organised and at the end of the day just want a fight and the football is secondary. Certainly not the standard pissed up group of lads on a day out and more like a military unit on an exercise, I think we need to recognise that this is vicious violence that not many in this country can relate to from the last 25 years of watching football.

9 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Difference seems to be that these 300 Russian blokes would just fight with the police and cause trouble until they could break away in groups and then reform. They seem to be highly trained and highly organised and at the end of the day just want a fight and the football is secondary. Certainly not the standard pissed up group of lads on a day out and more like a military unit on an exercise, I think we need to recognise that this is vicious violence that not many in this country can relate to from the last 25 years of watching football.

I do however think the British police would have it under wraps after hours of problems. This has gone on for nearly three day. Back streets would be closed with the huge metal gates, and police would contain it. The French seemed surprised at this, and didn't have a clue how to handle it.

Archived