IGNORED

The Official Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City Match Thread (Merged)

What upsets me most about tonight's performance was that all the things which carried us through difficult games so far this season was the spirit and the self-belief when things went wrong. The last couple of games against Rotherham and Villa being prime examples. This time, things were going right, we seemed to get cocky so they then went wrong and as LJ said we just crumbled. It's the team that counts. Yes, individual players have made mistakes all through this season but until today the rest of the team rallied round and got a result. Tonight it was role reversal. The team that did that tonight were Sheffield Wed. We need to learn from it and then get over it.

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

They did lose 4-0 at home.

Yes but before the season started I wouldn't have had Barnsley to beat Wolves.

I'm hoping LJ does have the players in tomorrow, only to clear the air and really find out what went so wrong. These things can't be left or they will fester.

It seemed pretty even and then suddenly we were 2 up. Were we then too confident, sloppy?

Tomlin must have hit the pen well as it bounced off the post with power and went half way up the pitch, can't understand the hate he is getting. O'Donnell too was so safe last season, I can't believe people are calling for Frankie who lacks match practice and previously hasn't shone in the Championship anymore then O'Donnell has. O'Neil should have known better, but he is saying he got the ball. 

I wasn't there. Let's hear from those who were.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Manon said:

Seriously. Why? The guy just narrowly missed a pen. At the point he hit that post we were still 2-1 up against 10 men. 

I could understand some flack if he'd completely skied it or tried a cheeky Zidane and been caught out, but as missed pens go, it was as good as they get. 

2-1 up v ten men............for about 5 seconds!

We score as a team and concede as a team. Unfortunately along the way someone will hack it more than someone else along the way though occasionally. 

Johnson's comments on radio appear to point more towards keeper. Saying it was interesting who didn't seem to handle the pressure and followed shortly up by referring to kicking out of play at that last moment. 

End of the day though, some bad errors again. Bad defending for the first - why is Abraham having to do defense job there, Tomlin opportunity to possibly kill game missed, a risky challenge by O'Neil on a yellow and back to even numbers on pitch instantly, bad keeping for second followed by bad defending for third - Flint turned way too easy but pass wasn't closed off before and then failed to close that last moment out by kicking out of play and straight back to Wednesday.

They need to keep their heads up. We are well placed in table, could easily have more points too just from these last two games. They have to learn from this. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Let's not forget, some people on here DID say that O Neil had form for getting sent off and losing a game for his team. Pretty sure he's the main one Johnson's directing his comment at.

I don't think so, think O'Donnell must be one and probably Flint the other. O'Neil made a rash challenge but he didn't crumble by any means.

If Tomlin's penalty was an inch to the right then I'd say there would have been a 99.999% chance that we would have won that game.

Small moments have big impacts. It happens in football. We've benefited from them this season.

Let's support the boys because we were very close to ending the night in 5th place - we can't be too far off surely!?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, RedM said:

Wolves have just tweeted that their player's day off is cancelled tomorrow after their result against Barnsley (lost 4-0). Let's hope we have similar plans

What? They got battered 4-0 at home. We lost in the last minute when we had a penalty to go 3-1 up.

Jesus christ.

Edited by Robin1988
1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

I don't think so, think O'Donnell must be one and probably Flint the other. O'Neil made a rash challenge but he didn't crumble by any means.

I meant the quote where he said there were some he was not so happy with.. Having not seen the game I couldn't really judge who he thought might have crumbled, although O Donnell seems an obvious choice.

19 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Belter of the match (Sheffield Wednesday away). Who gets your vote?

Some very strong contenders here. I think Husshen has the title in his grasp though. Let's hope someone doesn't snatch a last-minute win.

No complaints with my post Robins 1998. What is your problem? Confidence is an important factors in team success and a result like this after Saturday with a two key defensive players making mistakes can really move a team in the wrong direction. 

1 minute ago, Acton Red said:

No complaints with my post Robins 1998. What is your problem? Confidence is an important factors in team success and a result like this after Saturday with a two key defensive players making mistakes can really move a team in the wrong direction. 

Losing 6-0 at home crushes your confidence. Being half an inch away from what would have been a definite win doesn't.

Ok from one who was there...here's my perspective. 

Tomlin buries the Penalty then it was game over. 

O'Neil resists the cynical tackle then we would have had the extra man advantage.

These things obviously didn't happen...I'm currently sat with several Wednesday fans and their summaries go from "That were a crazy five minutes" "How did we win that" "I can't believe how lucky we were your man missed the pen" "Your boys battered us 1st half and turned off in the 2nd" "Play like that and you're gonna have a good season" "we robbed you"

Now for what it's worth I think we folded when then pressure was applied...Bannan yet again bosses the midfield and we just watched as he pinged balls around and made ours look silly. 

The meltdown I've read through on here wasn't quite what I witnessed at Hillsborough.

Conceded again isn't great and yes I'm pissed off we lost in the manner we did but I think it was a fair result. 

• Like 11
4 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

What? They got battered 4-0 at home. We lost in the last minute when we had a penalty to go 3-1 up.

Jesus christ.

No need for that. Take your strop out on someone else. I hit post before I meant to, please read my amended post and see if you still want to throw your toys at me.

1 minute ago, Robin1988 said:

Losing 6-0 at home crushes your confidence. Being half an inch away from what would have been a definite win doesn't.

Indeed, I'm hoping that the fine margins and bad luck (Paterson striking the post) that prevented us a win at the death on Saturday along with Tomlin's penalty tonight will galvanise the squad against a Derby side who are clearly not firing on all cylinders at the moment.

Gutted tonight but nothing that should destroy our confidence for upcoming matches.

20 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

I can't comprehend the meltdown. 

We're all gutted, but seriously? Some of these comments are outrageous. 

Tomlin - There's a fair chance we'd be playing in league one without him. When he missed the penalty we were still winning 2-1. He is not responsible for the end result! Yes RO'D's error was a howler. Yes GO'N should have done better. 

We're a work in progress. 13+ new players, all learning each other's games, having played less than 8 matches together. The knee jerk reaction to a new team is embarrassing.

We're already showing so much more promise than last season which constitutes progress. 

Clearly that's not enough for those who suddenly expect us to be challenging for the top spots after a season spent fighting relegation. The comments talking about promotion and playoffs when we go 1-0 up is as clear an indication of the fickle nature of 'in the moment' comments.

Lets take a minute to recall where we were last year, where we are now. Less than a quarter of the season gone, and we've just lost to a team who have strengthened over the summer after being one result away from the Premiership last season.

i get the passion, and the in the heat of the moment disappointment. But let's save the pathetic abuse of the players who will be as gutted as any of us. Time to support, supporters. 

Where are we now?