IGNORED

The Official Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City Match Thread (Merged)

That game was the epitome of a game of two halves.  Superb in the first half with a great game plan to stifle their midfield, Bannan in particular.  Pack played a bit further forward than most would have expected and it worked.  Wednesday had zero chances in the first time.  We had three and scored two goals - the opposite to Saturday.  

Pretty much every player was on their game in the first half.  I just don't know what happened in the second.  We were still 2-0 up when I told my mate next to me that we would lose this.  The players seemed to forget the plan.  Perhaps they thought, being 2-0 up, that they didn't need to play to it anymore.  

Obviously the penalty and O'Neill red card changed the game and proved once again that it is the fine margins that are important.  It looked to all that GON got the ball so I don't blame him.  

We had lost our heads before the red card but the wheels truly fell off afterwards. The ref looked at his watch five times before they scored.  It looked like we were slow to close down.

Ratings: first half/ second half

O'Donnell - 6/4 - nothing to do first half.  What is he doing for the second goal?!  

Little -7/3 - solid first half and got forward. One of the worst displays in recent times by a city player in the second.  His head went and he was all over the place

Flint - 7/6 - headed everything and marshalled back line well.

Magnusson - 8/6 - read the game well first half.  Missed a few headers and got bullied second half

Bryan - 8/8 - did nothing wrong and was everywhere

O'Neill - 9/7 - incredible first half.  Obviously red card ruined his second but think he got the ball

Brownhill - 8/5 - hassled everyone first half and good run for the second goal.  Disappeared second half big time

Pack - 9/5 - pressed very well first half and was immense.  Run ragged second half when we needed a calming influence 

O'Dowda - 5/5 - defended pretty well but offered nothing going forward all game

Tomlin - 5/3 - a passenger for pretty much whole time he was on the pitch.  Left Bryan exposed time and time again.  If he scores penalty then we win

Abraham - 10/9 - MOM.  Incredible game from the loanee.  Completely isolated second half.  Offered zero support from his teammates but kept going and had the two centre backs panicked. Won plenty of vital free kicks.  Looked shattered when the winner went in.

Truly gutted with tonight especially when they showed what they are capable of first half.  The makings of a very good team but that second half was truly awful.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Indeed, I'm hoping that the fine margins and bad luck (Paterson striking the post) that prevented us a win at the death on Saturday along with Tomlin's penalty tonight will galvanise the squad against a Derby side who are clearly not firing on all cylinders at the moment.

Gutted tonight but nothing that should destroy our confidence for upcoming matches.

Watch the highlights on Sky and you can see that Derby clearly are firing on all cylinders.  They absolutely murdered Ipswich.  61% possession, 23 shots to 5, 4 corners to none.  And Ipswich won with a bad mistake by the Derby keeper with 1 of their 2 shots on target.

Derby will be a really tough game on Saturday. 

2 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

Ok from one who was there...here's my perspective. 

Tomlin buries the Penalty then it was game over. 

O'Neil resists the cynical tackle then we would have had the extra man advantage.

These things obviously didn't happen...I'm currently sat with several Wednesday fans and their summaries go from "That were a crazy five minutes" "How did we win that" "I can't believe how lucky we were your man missed the pen" "Your boys battered us 1st half and turned off in the 2nd" "Play like that and you're gonna have a good season" "we robbed you"

Now for what it's worth I think we folded when then pressure was applied...Bannan yet again bosses the midfield and we just watched as he pinged balls around and made ours look silly. 

The meltdown I've read through on here wasn't quite what I witnessed at Hillsborough.

Conceded again isn't great and yes I'm pissed off we lost in the manner we did but I think it was a fair result. 

Fair play and respect for somebody who was there, even though under the circumstances it would have felt like a defeat I would have taken a point, but the last 30 seconds/minute seem to have been unprofessional beyond belief and LJ is not a happy bunny at all, very critical claiming that several players crumbled (obviously no names) but Saturday's team could well be enlightening.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, RedM said:

No need for that. Take your strop out on someone else. I hit post before I meant to, please read my amended post and see if you still want to throw your toys at me.

If it's in for just a debrief, fair enough. But anything similar to being in response to losing 4-0 at home is an overreaction in a sea of overreactions.

Anyone else feel slightly better now then 30 mins ago? After LJ post match i feel slightly better, much more refreshing than cotts! 

Its better to realise our weaknesses early so we can fix them early. If that means bringing in players who can handle pressure then so be it but we have a long wait until the next window.

Slightly worried how many we are conceeding but then its very early days!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Chivs said:

Watch the highlights on Sky and you can see that Derby clearly are firing on all cylinders.  They absolutely murdered Ipswich.  61% possession, 23 shots to 5, 4 corners to none.  And Ipswich won with a bad mistake by the Derby keeper with 1 of their 2 shots on target.

Yes they will be!! They are a very good side. 

Just now, Chivs said:

Oh I don't doubt it mate...and to be fair I haven't seen the highlights of their game so maybe I was a bit premature to say that they seem to be struggling at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

The most moderate  post I've read in a while. Have you not heard the Earth has been knocked off its axis this evening? And we threw away a 2 goal lead? And you're quite disappointed?

I was using typical British phlegmatic understatement. My wife has just said "It's only a game".

Does anyone know the grounds for justifiable homicide?

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

That game was the epitome of a game of two halves.  Superb in the first half with a great game plan to stifle their midfield, Bannan in particular.  Pack played a bit further forward than most would have expected and it worked.  Wednesday had zero chances in the first time.  We had three and scored two goals - the opposite to Saturday.  

Pretty much every player was on their game in the first half.  I just don't know what happened in the second.  We were still 2-0 up when I told my mate next to me that we would lose this.  The players seemed to forget the plan.  Perhaps they thought, being 2-0 up, that they didn't need to play to it anymore.  

Obviously the penalty and O'Neill red card changed the game and proved once again that it is the fine margins that are important.  It looked to all that GON got the ball so I don't blame him.  

We had lost our heads before the red card but the wheels truly fell off afterwards. The ref looked at his watch five times before they scored.  It looked like we were slow to close down.

Ratings: first half/ second half

O'Donnell - 6/4 - nothing to do first half.  What is he doing for the second goal?!  

Little -7/3 - solid first half and got forward. One of the worst displays in recent times by a city player in the second.  His head went and he was all over the place

Flint - 7/6 - headed everything and marshalled back line well.

Magnusson - 8/6 - read the game well first half.  Missed a few headers and got bullied second half

Bryan - 8/8 - did nothing wrong and was everywhere

O'Neill - 9/7 - incredible first half.  Obviously red card ruined his second but think he got the ball

Brownhill - 8/5 - hassled everyone first half and good run for the second goal.  Disappeared second half big time

Pack - 9/5 - pressed very well first half and was immense.  Run ragged second half when we needed a calming influence 

O'Dowda - 5/5 - defended pretty well but offered nothing going forward all game

Tomlin - 5/3 - a passenger for pretty much whole time he was on the pitch.  Left Bryan exposed time and time again.  If he scores penalty then we win

Abraham - 10/9 - MOM.  Incredible game from the loanee.  Completely isolated second half.  Offered zero support from his teammates but kept going and had the two centre backs panicked. Won plenty of vital free kicks.  Looked shattered when the winner went in.

Truly gutted with tonight especially when they showed what they are capable of first half.  The makings of a very good team but that second half was truly awful.

Excellent well written post thank you

Thanks for the report. It is difficult to come to any balanced view just watching the goals. Tomlin a worry from that, penalty aside. Think when you see the winner you may knock one off Flint.

On the one hand we lost with the last kick of the game, away at a top six team last year.

On the other, well, it was there for the winning.

Edited by cityexile
8 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

Ok from one who was there...here's my perspective. 

Tomlin buries the Penalty then it was game over. 

O'Neil resists the cynical tackle then we would have had the extra man advantage.

These things obviously didn't happen...I'm currently sat with several Wednesday fans and their summaries go from "That were a crazy five minutes" "How did we win that" "I can't believe how lucky we were your man missed the pen" "Your boys battered us 1st half and turned off in the 2nd" "Play like that and you're gonna have a good season" "we robbed you"

Now for what it's worth I think we folded when then pressure was applied...Bannan yet again bosses the midfield and we just watched as he pinged balls around and made ours look silly. 

The meltdown I've read through on here wasn't quite what I witnessed at Hillsborough.

Conceded again isn't great and yes I'm pissed off we lost in the manner we did but I think it was a fair result. 

I'm also sitting in a pub with Wednesday fans who can't believe that they won. Having watched the match I can't express how disappointing that result was. We absolutely had them when Tomlin  stepped up to take the pen. 

The good news is that we were very good in the first half! I've never seen such a turn around as the pen miss and O'Neil dismissal. After that we seemed to stop playing the neat and careful possession football that we'd been playing all game. But hey ho. What a torture it is to follow City sometimes!

• Like 2

I'm home and trying to dry out and calm down (I live in Sheffield)

11 on 11 we were the better team. That's the crumb of comfort I'm clinging to here. However, we bottled it after the two sendings off- completely lost our heads and I think that's very worrying. Everything that was good in the first half just went out the window at 10 v 10 and we should have had the advantage; we were quicker than them for an hour and passed the ball better. We ran them ragged first half and yet we were blowing out our arses in the last 10

The penalty was as clear as they come and while I appreciate that Tomlin is the designated penalty taker, why the **** wouldn't he give it Tammy? He can only lose from that situation- if he scores so what. If he misses he looks like a**** who's just robbed an 18 year old of a hattrick. O'Neil's sending off was bullshit. HOWEVER you make a tackle like that, on a yellow card, after the ref has just sent a home player off, he's going to even things up

So what was good. Tammy is an absolute beast. It's my first game of the season, I didn't expect him to be so physically dominant. Magnusson is clearly a top quality player, needs to work on his heading but his positioning and awareness are excellent and he's got a great pass on him. O'Dowda was also good, Bryan excellent and Brownhill was also very good first half

The bad. Tomlin is part of the problem here folks. We want everything to go through him, but he just can't keep up with Tammy, COD or even Brownhill or Bryan. Then when he does get the ball he's holding on and holding on because he wants to be the one who plays the killer ball rather than just having the play go through him. Johnson either needs to find a different way to utilise him or bench him from my small viewing sample

Midfield- Pack is too passive in a game like that, that's why O'Neil was having to make the kind of challenges that got him sent off. Pack is great when we have possession and are dominating play, he doesn't influence it enough when we're chasing the ball

Flint- from the sublime to the ridiculous. He's making mistakes and he needs to cut it out 

Management- Johnson didn't do enough to influence that game and when he did, he frankly got it wrong. He brought Bobby Reid on to the right wing when Adam Reach was running riot. Bobby then constantly drifted inside, giving Reach so much room and space. It needed a proper winger on there to a) get behind him and b) reduce the space he had. Bobby was either poorly instructed or poorly disciplined 

Anyway, rant over. Hopefully some lessons will be learnt and some improvements made. The 1st half needs to be the norm and the 2nd half needs to be learnt from

• Like 17

Both me and the old man said that we were going to lose as soon as O'Neil went off. Gutted that we were right! It's clear that O'Neil is a massive influence and will be badly missed on Saturday. After he went off it was like a knife through butter to coin a well known phrase which I find hard to understand after we bossed the first half and both had 10 men on the pitch?

Good report!

Sounded to me (from everything I've heard about the game), that there seemed to be a real tactical shift in our play once it went 10 vs 10.

By the time of O'Neil's sending off, Wednesday already had an extra attacking player on the pitch due to being 2-0 down at half time, and we never really seemed to cope with this for the final 20 mins.

Why the negative subs from Johnson? I really think he should have swapped Tomlin for Paterson, and kept someone up there to support Tammy, and to take the pressure off of our defence.

As previously mentioned, we're terrible at sitting on a lead (remember MK Dons at home last season), and I KNEW Wednesday were going to find those goals during the final moments of the game. It also sounds like some of our players went missing during the 2nd half, which is just not good enough full stop.

I ALSO cannot get my head around the fact that the ball rebounded off the post from Tomlin's pen, and went straight to one of their players in the middle of the park! WHEN does that ever happen?!! 

That 20 seconds of missing the pen and losing O'Neil seemed to cripple us mentally, and also give Wednesday a lift in the process. 

Football, you crazy, crazy bas**** :blink:

• Like 2