IGNORED

The Official Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City Match Thread (Merged)

Always believe that if Bristol City .......................................

We've had a reasonable start to the season but we have now scored two goals in two consecutive away games yet bring home only one point. Now I know why I am such a pessimist as a City fan. I've seen this too many times before in my long career as a City fan and depending on how long I live, I expect there will be plenty more.

............................................ can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, they sure as hell will!

7 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I'm home and trying to dry out and calm down (I live in Sheffield)

11 on 11 we were the better team. That's the crumb of comfort I'm clinging to here. However, we bottled it after the two sendings off- completely lost our heads and I think that's very worrying. Everything that was good in the first half just went out the window at 10 v 10 and we should have had the advantage; we were quicker than them for an hour and passed the ball better. We ran them ragged first half and yet we were blowing out our arses in the last 10

The penalty was as clear as they come and while I appreciate that Tomlin is the designated penalty taker, why the **** wouldn't he give it Tammy? He can only lose from that situation- if he scores so what. If he misses he looks like a**** who's just robbed an 18 year old of a hattrick. O'Neil's sending off was bullshit. HOWEVER you make a tackle like that, on a yellow card, after the ref has just sent a home player off, he's going to even things up

So what was good. Tammy is an absolute beast. It's my first game of the season, I didn't expect him to be so physically dominant. Magnusson is clearly a top quality player, needs to work on his heading but his positioning and awareness are excellent and he's got a great pass on him. O'Dowda was also good, Bryan excellent and Brownhill was also very good first half

The bad. Tomlin is part of the problem here folks. We want everything to go through him, but he just can't keep up with Tammy, COD or even Brownhill or Bryan. Then when he does get the ball he's holding on and holding on because he wants to be the one who plays the killer ball rather than just having the play go through him. Johnson either needs to find a different way to utilise him or bench him from my small viewing sample

Midfield- Pack is too passive in a game like that, that's why O'Neil was having to make the kind of challenges that got him sent off. Pack is great when we have possession and are dominating play, he doesn't influence it enough when we're chasing the ball

Flint- from the sublime to the ridiculous. He's making mistakes and he needs to cut it out 

Management- Johnson didn't do enough to influence that game and when he did, he frankly got it wrong. He brought Bobby Reid on to the right wing when Adam Reach was running riot. Bobby then constantly drifted inside, giving Reach so much room and space. It needed a proper winger on there to a) get behind him and b) reduce the space he had. Bobby was either poorly instructed or poorly disciplined 

Anyway, rant over. Hopefully some lessons will be learnt and some improvements made. The 1st half needs to be the norm and the 2nd half needs to be learnt from

Spot on! Johnson got it tactically wrong after O'Neil went off. Bannan then ran the show and it was wave after wave as if our midfield didn't exist.

Due to the almost minute of delay that I experience, as it apparently takes that long for the game to get across the pond and then across the entire US of A...

As I'm mentally willing City to hang in there and finish the game out and simultaneously walking back in to my work area, I receive a text from a fellow City fan (in England) who lets me know that we've lost. As I'm reading his text, the commentary finally catches up to the delay, and I hear the goal. I confess I wanted to yell, scream at the top of my lungs, throw something, punch someone, possibly kick something... and yet I had to maintain a smile on my face and not show the immense amount of frustration built up inside of me.

Even an hour later, I am still wound up and unable to express anything.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

It's SO frustrating the way the game went. If we'd lost 1-0 we'd probably be saying "oh well, on to the next". One bad half out of 2 away games ain't bad. 

We can put it all behind us on Saturday. 

One warning note....Derby have only scored ONE goal this season.  0-3 it is then ! :cool:

Yep that would be normal of City.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, DavidNoble said:

Rate the analysis but disagree regarding the penalty. Tomlin is our designated penalty taker and the game wasn't over so he should take it. If we were 5-0 up then fair enough if he wants to give someone a hat trick but not at that point. 

Although clearly with hindsight I can understand why others would disagree

I do get that, but I felt before he took it he should have given the ball to Tammy and I still believe that now. Imagine the boost you give an 18 year old kid getting his first career hat-trick. The only person who gains from Tomlin scoring that penalty is Tomlin. But, he is the designated penalty taker

14 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

11 on 11 we were the better team. That's the crumb of comfort I'm clinging to here. However, we bottled it after the two sendings off- completely lost our heads and I think that's very worrying. Everything that was good in the first half just went out the window at 10 v 10 and we should have had the advantage; we were quicker than them for an hour and passed the ball better. We ran them ragged first half and yet we were blowing out our arses in the last 10

The penalty was as clear as they come and while I appreciate that Tomlin is the designated penalty taker, why the **** wouldn't he give it Tammy? He can only lose from that situation- if he scores so what. If he misses he looks like a**** who's just robbed an 18 year old of a hattrick. O'Neil's sending off was bullshit. HOWEVER you make a tackle like that, on a yellow card, after the ref has just sent a home player off, he's going to even things up

So what was good. Tammy is an absolute beast. It's my first game of the season, I didn't expect him to be so physically dominant. Magnusson is clearly a top quality player, needs to work on his heading but his positioning and awareness are excellent and he's got a great pass on him. O'Dowda was also good, Bryan excellent and Brownhill was also very good first half

The bad. Tomlin is part of the problem here folks. We want everything to go through him, but he just can't keep up with Tammy, COD or even Brownhill or Bryan. Then when he does get the ball he's holding on and holding on because he wants to be the one who plays the killer ball rather than just having the play go through him. Johnson either needs to find a different way to utilise him or bench him from my small viewing sample

Midfield- Pack is too passive in a game like that, that's why O'Neil was having to make the kind of challenges that got him sent off. Pack is great when we have possession and are dominating play, he doesn't influence it enough when we're chasing the ball

Flint- from the sublime to the ridiculous. He's making mistakes and he needs to cut it out 

Management- Johnson didn't do enough to influence that game and when he did, he frankly got it wrong. He brought Bobby Reid on to the right wing when Adam Reach was running riot. Bobby then constantly drifted inside, giving Reach so much room and space. It needed a proper winger on there to a) get behind him and b) reduce the space he had. Bobby was either poorly instructed or poorly disciplined 

Anyway, rant over. Hopefully some lessons will be learnt and some improvements made. The 1st half needs to be the norm and the 2nd half needs to be learnt from

Spot on! I've been saying for a while now that LT could be the issue here. I said you can't play JK, TA and LT together. JK left and I think if he stays and LT is benched!!!!!!!!! (What have I said) we have the best strike force in the league. 

3 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I do get that, but I felt before he took it he should have given the ball to Tammy and I still believe that now. Imagine the boost you give an 18 year old kid getting his first career hat-trick. The only person who gains from Tomlin scoring that penalty is Tomlin. But, he is the designated penalty taker

He didn't take the ball off Tammy, à la Agard?

3 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

At 1-3 and 10 v 11 we gain 3 points

5 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Can you imagine the flack he would rightly get if Tammy missed and we then dropped points? Game was in the balance, he is our designated penalty taker, he had to take it.

Almost fluke'ish the reobound. He hits it over the bar, we still have 11 players!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Never felt this frustrated after a game. Like seriously how do you **** that up?! You have the opportunity to go 3-1 up with a one man advantage and you end up losing 3-2...

Shit happens, a season is 46 games, 1 games doesn't dictate a season, as long as players can get over it. It'd be interesting to know what Johnson done in the changing room afterwards. I'd guess he said very little.

13 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Never felt this frustrated after a game. Like seriously how do you **** that up?! You have the opportunity to go 3-1 up with a one man advantage and you end up losing 3-2...

For me the most frustrating result since we drew at home to Charlton in the 90th or so.

Going to Sheff Wed and losing by a late late goal is no disgrace in itself. Should on paper always have been a difficult game. The worry is the nature of the goals we have conceded last two games, and the whole series of if buts from this one game.

52 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

This is also BANG on the money.