IGNORED

Section 82

David Brent

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Are you sure that pic is from yesterday's game? I can't recall seeing those banners, but then my peepers ain't what they used to be!

It was definitely yesterday. I remember cringing at the "fans not customers" banner. Displayed in the area of the ground where specific exceptions a made for "fans", so that they can stand, swear, get cheap tickets, display their flags etc. Wondering what SL might think of it. 

If I was him I'd be half tempted to ask for the mic, and present ownership of the club to those people, then see how the ungrateful "fans not customers" do in his place. 

I really do wonder if some people realise how fortunate we are as Bristol City fans are, or whether they'd actually prefer some Mickey Mouse outfit like the gas..? No..? I didn't think so. 

May have some relation to the £1 booking fee discussions. 

I remember a BS video from a Corporate Rep where the explanation included something about the ticketing system automatically adding the fee to each "customers" order. 

Can't remember the exact words but customers was definitely in there.

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THIS ONE NEXT WEEK ;):P:fear:

82.jpg

Some People like to use the "customer" dig at football clubs when it suits their agenda, yet I'm sure they are the first ones to also spout the old "we pay your wages" line when that better suits their latest bandwagon bitchfest. 

Cardiff, Blackburn, Blackpool, Charlton fans - they have cause for complaint and feeling aggrieved. Some of our "fans" don't know how good they've got it. 

2 minutes ago, 54-46 said:

May have some relation to the £1 booking fee discussions. 

I remember a BS video from a Corporate Rep where the explanation included something about the ticketing system automatically adding the fee to each "customers" order. 

Can't remember the exact words but customers was definitely in there.

Anyone purchasing a ticket, a replica shirt, or a half pie or pint IS a customer. There is no problem with that. We are fans AND customers. That's no sleight or degradation. 

I bet they are the first to moan when "customer" service isn't up to scratch, if their seats were filthy, if the toilets were blocked, if refreshments ran out by 1.30pm. 

That is all customer focus which they are happy with when it suits them to be "customers"

Those in "section 82" get far more "fan" related focus than any other part of the stadium by a million miles. ie: exemption to some rules, extra tolerance on behaviours/language, unreserved seating at their request, cheapest tickets. Christ, the club even pass up the opportunity of extra revenue from increased away capacity by retaining "section 82" in the Atyeo to keep these "perks" available to them (SAG wouldn't allow such leniency in other areas of the ground)

82 is not a reference to when, yes poor decisions were made, but to the fact our club survived thanks to those 8 players. As witnessed by singing the song every home game. If you're embarrassed by 1982, fair enough, but some of us seek not to ignore or bury it but see it as a time when our club hit rock bottom but came back from near extinction. Football isn't just about winning trophies or having seasons without disaster. If you want to cringe at it, go ahead, but some of us are proud of the players and rebuilding from that time. We're equally entitled to that.

The banner is a very well known campaign that has gone round Europe pointing out that football in general, across the board, around the world, is becoming more and more of a product for customers to buy, less for fans to have a say in. It is in no way directed at Steve Lansdown. Just like all the other fans not customers banners (eg at Liverpool and Arsenal, to name but two - try googling it) weren't directed at Steve Lansdown either.

The vast majority of the fans in that part of the ground are all in favour of everything Steve Lansdown has done and continues to do, as witnessed by the singing of his name before the Lansdown Stand was opened, when he was on the pitch mike in hand. Just like the rest of the ground, the vast majority of fans in the Atyeo are very grateful for all he does and has done. I hear no criticism of him in there. 

But if some people feel the need to spout of and make presumptions that the fans in the Atyeo believe themselves superior to others or ungrateful/ignorant of his financial support, that's as maybe. personally  stand in there, hear the support and songs for him and know the banner is aimed at the world of football, Sky Sports, Murdoch (but not BA Baracus), all the other money-grabbers and agents and knobheads who see us as bottomless pits of money they can just drain because they know we'll come back week after week. 

A little bit of research before piling into criticism is often good. The Supporters Not Customers campaign, which that banner yesterday was merely part of, has been well documented in many places, along with the 20 Is Plenty and other ideas. It's all called Against Modern Football. Not everyone agrees that modern football is rubbish or are against it, but there are plenty of us who think a) it's not as good as it was in many ways (almost entirely down to too much money - this is what the 'cringeworthy' banner is referencing) and b) it is still a good game, potentially, but could be much better with some tweaks so as fans aren't priced out. Hence the use of 'customer'.

Each to his own as ever, but, there we go. That's a forum for you.

What a thread. I believe the banner is one that as suggested forms part of a nationwide campaign against modern football in general. Nothing to do with Lansdown.

Ridiculously high ticket prices across the board, franchises, sky sports, bt sport, re arranged games, premier teams entering the JPT.

football is changing for the worse and I don't think the odd reminder hurts anyone. 

Look forward to seeing everyone around the ground putting on displays and positive banners for Lansdown around the ground.

so easy to criticise others but do nothing yourself.

24 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

82 is not a reference to when, yes poor decisions were made, but to the fact our club survived thanks to those 8 players. As witnessed by singing the song every home game. If you're embarrassed by 1982, fair enough, but some of us seek not to ignore or bury it but see it as a time when our club hit rock bottom but came back from near extinction. Football isn't just about winning trophies or having seasons without disaster. If you want to cringe at it, go ahead, but some of us are proud of the players and rebuilding from that time. We're equally entitled to that.

The banner is a very well known campaign that has gone round Europe pointing out that football in general, across the board, around the world, is becoming more and more of a product for customers to buy, less for fans to have a say in. It is in no way directed at Steve Lansdown. Just like all the other fans not customers banners 9eg at Liverpool and Arsenal, to name but two - try googling it) weren't directed at Steve Lansdown either.

The vast majority of the fans in that part of the ground are all in favour of everything Steve Lansdown has done and continues to do, as witnessed by the singing of his name before the Lansdown Stand was opened, when he was on the pitch mike in hand. Just like the rest of the ground, the vast majority of fans in the Atyeo are very grateful for all he does and has done. I hear no criticism of him in there. 

But if some people feel the need to spout of and make presumptions that the fans in the Atyeo believe themselves superior to others or ungrateful/ignorant of his financial support, that's as maybe. personally  stand in there, hear the support and songs for him and know the banner is aimed at the world of football, Sky Sports, Murdoch (but not BA Baracus), all the other money-grabbers and agents and knobheads who see us as bottomless pits of money they can just drain because they know we'll come back week after week. 

A little bit of research before piling into criticism is often good. The Supporters Not Customers campaign, which that banner yesterday was merely part of, has been well documented in many places, along with the 20 Is Plenty and other ideas.

Each to his own as ever, but, there we go. That's a forum for you.

So none of them have Sky Sports subscriptions then I take it..? 

If the banner is general then that's obviously not clear. Holding it up as our team takes the field, in view of SL..? It's a strange time and place to do it when most "fans" are applauding the team on and gratefully taking in our impressive new surroundings. 

I think you are giving many of those "fans" too much credit. 

It most certainly did come across as cringeworthy, ungrateful and a dig. Especially from people, many of whom I'll put money on it, directly contribute to the problems that you rightly identify by paying a subscription to Murdoch. 

Are they out somewhere today campaigning against sweatshop labour, in their shiny new Nike trainers aswell..?! 

24 minutes ago, Forza Revolution said:

Look forward to seeing everyone around the ground putting on displays and positive banners for Lansdown around the ground.

so easy to criticise others but do nothing yourself.

I like to think that I'm "positive" towards Lansdown and supportive of his set up by buying my season ticket, getting behind the team, using the club's facilities when possible, not paying a subscription to Sky Sports or BT Sports and by not holding up banners that look like a dig at him/the club at just the moment when support should be focused on the team about to start a match. 

Anti sky banner? Yes. 

Anti Murdoch? Yes. 

Anti higher league teams in the JPT? Yes, if you feel the need. 

Holding up an inane banner infront of SL stating that you aren't happy about the way we as fans are treated/regarded..? Totally inappropriate, I'd say. 

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a "Dolman ****" according to our oh so supportive S82..! 

Archived