IGNORED

Section 82

David Brent

We bought my father inlaw a season tickrt this year because even though hes been a city fan for 60 years its out of reach for him financialy.

Just because i can afford 3 season tickets doesnt mean that is ok, football is sport for the privileged and anything fans can do as a collective to highlight this issue should be applauded.

We don't sell out every week so ticket prices are too high, 4 quid for a ******* sausage roll ffs. 

Keep doing what you're doing 82. Not everyone has a bottomless pocket of cash. AMF.

OK - as we're discussing and not arguing here - how about this as a sensible suggestion  (I don't make many....)

With our beautiful new 27,000 seater stadium and crowds just now of circa 21,000 surely the ground is big enough - and the club are big enough - and we as supporters are big enough - to allow a space for everyone to watch and enjoy City in their own way without be screamed at or whined at or both. So A) Haven't we got space for a safe standing area big enough to generate Toon drowning noise where people can stand and sing and wave their flags? B) Haven't we also got enough space for a larger family area - in the dry and with a decent view where we can grow our future support in comfort. (I was sat two seats away from an eight year old at his first game for the Villa match and even in the boring old Dolman this kid was clearly terrified by the aggression and obscenity going off around him. I'm not complaining personally - it's a football game - but I'm sure he'd have had more fun in a family area). And C) There'll still be plenty of room left for boring old f*rts like me to sit in as much comfort as the Dolman knee crushing seats will allow to watch and either sing or not as the spirit moves us.

We've got a beautiful ground; it's (sometimes even at the Gate now) a beautiful game; we've got an owner who doesn't want to change our name or make us play in blue quarters but still stumps up the cash by the barrow load; we've got a fanzone (ha....) and a sports bar, a king sized screen and pulled pork butties and Butcombe.........Let's just sort it out so we can all enjoy this cornucopia every other Saturday however we choose. This is Renaissance Dolman signing out - kill all hip......sorry, carried away there. The strain of being sensible....... 

46 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Loads in the lower leagues. 

If you are talking Championship & above, then I think it's these...

Burton, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Brentford, Reading, Sheff Weds, Rotherham, Wigan. 

Then the likes of QPR, Preston, Blackburn, Brighton do when it's needed. 

So generally it seems like the old grounds do and the new ones don't? And we have a new ground so it's all good? Or am I trying to make it to simple?

1 minute ago, Griffin said:

So generally it seems like the old grounds do and the new ones don't? And we have a new ground so it's all good? Or am I trying to make it to simple?

I guess the pattern with it (if any) is that grounds with individual stands, rather than a bowel, find it easier to offer and/or clubs where they nearly always have the empty space available. 

I.e: Derby wont do it because they are nearly always full. Reading will do it because their ground is usually half empty. 

I do not think the whole 'Against Modern football' ideology is futile Spudski.

You have frequently posted about what you feel is wrong with modern football in differing topics.

Aspects of football does not need to be defined solely by cash. Football is about people, those people create that cash, and without them as the slogan goes "football is nothing". Fans should be helping to define how this endless tide of money is spent.

The c in FC can mean community - stealing a line from the fine Bountyhunter fanzine. Use the cash to keep ticket prices down for footballs community. Less Pogba's = more money for grass root football.

As for the "Fans Not Customers" banner. Who knows what it was about. Against who, what?

17 hours ago, stogursey red said:

One thing I would like to know is why the rest of the ground thinks everyone in the atyeo is in section 82 I would say they are only 30-35% of the stand, I was in the east end from its reopening and moved round the ground with the singers but don't know the self appointed superfans of 82, they don't do anything to mix with the rest of the stand preferring to say in the corner with there flags and banners that are for them only, nothing is stopping them moving to the middle of the stand and getting more people involved but they just seam to have no interest in this, preferring to stay in there corner patting them self's on the back, I know I am not alone in this view from other atyeo ticket holders I talk to, so as one of the majority who knew nothing about the banner please don't tar everyone in the atyeo with the same brush

I like you am in the Atyeo and am neither in section 82 but I would like to thank them for staying in the corner with their flags patting themselves on the back but this is how I remember it going.... 1st game last season flags were getting waved all through the Atyeo home section but a few supporters were a bit pissy about flags obstructing their view( ps my view is it looks great but I don't want a flag stuck in front of me while I'm watching) after this game it was decided to keep the flags in the side section so not to annoy other fans. This seems fair enough to me. 

As for the sign Saturday seems to be a lot being made about nothing , I really don't get all this animosity  between different areas of the ground and finger pointing at the slightest little thing and it's quite embarrassing, ps stogursey I'm not having a go at you here as it seems we are all as bad as one another with our moaning.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

I agree with most of that, except just because TV coverage and money won't change (and are the main contributor to "modern football" it doesn't mean fans shouldn't keep a clear message out there to not tinker with things too much. 

I 100% agree that it's no good anyone with a Sky sports subscription moaning about the modern ways. It's them funding them. 

I've not had a Sky sports subscription now for about 6 years because it felt wrong with how I felt about TV & it's money running the sport. 

I actually think that 1 offer they could do to "pack the gate" would be to offer anyone with a Sky sports subscription a free ticket to a match. 

Get them off the sofa, into a stadium and hope that it makes them realise what they are missing and come back now and again. 

In reality, those people would probably just sit there moaning that Mark Little hasn't got the touch of Lionel Messi and that they can freeze the game when they want to go and have a piss!  

I got a sky sports subscription so I don't say a word, however, I don't just watch football so they know they got you by the bollocks 

This is the most exciting team that I can remember in terms of talent and all we can do is continually argue amongst ourselves?  

Section 82 is a breath of fresh air and long may it continue. Yes, the banner looked like a pop at SL, however this as been officially denied by section 82. Why are we still debating this? 

Good on section 82 for putting their own money into trying to make Ashton Gate a fortress. They should be praised not patronised. 

Interesting article in the Guardian today about West Ham and how a lot of their supporters are becoming disillusioned with life in the new stadium. 

I'd link it, but for reasons I can't fathom it won't let me.

Would imagine that IF Section82 were relocated elsewhere in the ground, similar arguments would be raised.

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Interesting article in the Guardian today about West Ham and how a lot of their supporters are becoming disillusioned with life in the new stadium. 

Very interesting read, and a comment at the end from our own Blagdon Red I believe.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/17/football-fans-stadium-gentrification

Rum Red says: The only people to have seen it will be fellow City fans, the players and the board.  If people want to make a point against the wider football hierarchy then pick the time to make it actually bloody mean something.

So when would you have us do it, then? Does it only count if we're on the telly? Should we put up with things (that we, not everyone, dislike about modern football) until the cameras are there? Is it only of consequence when someone else is watching, or could we be joining in with the pan-continental campaign? Do these other European clubs only do it when they're on the telly, all these clubs on here...

http://www.againstmodernfootball.com/

We're not asking everyone to agree with us. Have an opinion, sure, even if it doesn't tally with ours. But I don't get how the timing of the banner was not "bloody mean(ing) something". 

Have we never heard of the internet? Wouldn't our little old banner, despite being shown on a game when we're not on the telly, be seen by other people who are on the internet? Or do they have to see it at the moment it is raised, not after?

Side-stepping the issue of the timing being bad in terms of Steve Lansdown seeing it (we've said it wasn't aimed at him, maybe it could've been raised on another game, but then some people would still have issues with it...), when is the time to show this banner? Is it really, in all truthfulness, only when we're on the telly?

In all fairness, everyone has the right to complain. Otherwise things become a dictatorship. Everyone also has the right to complain about people complaining. And every issue has two sides (at least two...)

You Reds!

17 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Rum Red says: The only people to have seen it will be fellow City fans, the players and the board.  If people want to make a point against the wider football hierarchy then pick the time to make it actually bloody mean something.

So when would you have us do it, then? Does it only count if we're on the telly? Should we put up with things (that we, not everyone, dislike about modern football) until the cameras are there? Is it only of consequence when someone else is watching, or could we be joining in with the pan-continental campaign? Do these other European clubs only do it when they're on the telly, all these clubs on here...

We're not asking everyone to agree with us. Have an opinion, sure, even if it doesn't tally with ours. But I don't get how the timing of the banner was not "bloody mean(ing) something". 

Have we never heard of the internet? Wouldn't our little old banner, despite being shown on a game when we're not on the telly, be seen by other people who are on the internet? Or do they have to see it at the moment it is raised, not after?

Side-stepping the issue of the timing being bad in terms of Steve Lansdown seeing it (we've said it wasn't aimed at him, maybe it could've been raised on another game, but then some people would still have issues with it...), when is the time to show this banner? is it really, in all truthfulness, only when we're on the telly?

It was not the timing, so much as the content. 

If they say it wasn't aimed at SL then there is no way of proving otherwise. 

The content was vague, unassociated by design or logo to the AMF campaign and most certainly open to misinterpretation. 

It's hard to think of a fitting analogy. Maybe like opening up a bacon roll van outside a mosque. It may well not be meant as an insult to those involved in the mosque but it's bound to catch their attention, be open to misinterpretation and create objection, when all you were trying to do was provide refreshment to passing truckers. (OK, that's probably a stupid one) a banner that said what you are saying it meant might have been a better idea. Something maybe like...

"Thank you Sir Steve, please remember the fans too"

17 hours ago, screech said:

I believe that Section 82 would be better off in the family corner of the SS. In that corner there is already a bar area which could have been a fan led initiative, selling memorabilia, flags etc. This move would also have the benefit of improving the atmosphere for the rest of the SS.

The family area should have moved to the lower dolman, or the edges of the lower Lansdown stand, I really think they have missed a trick with this.

I'm sure due to the rake of the seats, they wouldn't be allowed to stand, unless safe standing was brought in.

If you flip this you could say that there's a lot about some issues that the so called ''modern football" that the football club themselves do not like, greedy players and agents, some aspects of financial fair play and restrictions to spending etc, games being changed due to tv/sky which can lead to fixture congestion or lack of game time recovery, transfer windows and the SAG issues which can be seen as OTT,, so to be fair it's not just a supporters thing the club can get miffed by issues they have to deal with. For the record I have spoken to the chap who made the banner and it was no way a swipe at Steve lansdown or Bristol sport but mostly the way some aspects of football his heading over a bigger picture, maybe it did not come over very well and I agree with bar bs3 that a bit more effort on the banner with logos etc could have ben used..

I will say rightly or wrongly the thing has done its job and got people talking.

4 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Side-stepping the issue of the timing being bad in terms of Steve Lansdown seeing it (we've said it wasn't aimed at him, maybe it could've been raised on another game, but then some people would still have issues with it...), when is the time to show this banner? Is it really, in all truthfulness, only when we're on the telly?

In all fairness, everyone has the right to complain. Otherwise things become a dictatorship. Everyone also has the right to complain about people complaining. And every issue has two sides (at least two...)

You Reds!

Mate you are one of the best posters on here. 

I also like the fact your head is in my avatar picture. 

19 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly, no idea why there's quite obviously an underlying dislike from some fans. There'd be near silence at AG without that Atyeo corner. There's so many on here who take a swipe at any opportunity for no good reason.

I hope if it comes to it and the club move the Atyeo fans they provide a good solution. Such a shame the SS hasn't become the EE replacement. It's an ugly stand but does generate good noise.

I still live in hope that one day the club will redo the Atyeo and make it a big single tiered safe standing bank for our home end..

It still amazes me that safe standing has not been allowed. Ridiculous.

12 hours ago, Can't stand me now said:

Not quite true it has had quite a bit of interest & retweets across the footballing & other fan groups twitter accounts 

Fair enough, but it's not a clear message and being shared amongst fans groups ain't going to change anything.

Feels like its sharing pictures amongst like minded folks on the internet to make you part of the gang but with no real point to me.

Gas away against Swindon in the rearranged tie, yes.  Lower league teams playing prem b'sides yes.  Home match against quality opposition in the championship, newly rebuilt stadium, most expensive squad in our history?

Really?  

@EnclosureSurge sorry edited to tag you as hadn't seen your response before I wrote the one above.

I can see your point of view but I also stand by mine.  life would be dull if we all agreed I guess!

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Love the comment on there about wanting a 'pissed up knees up, singing and surging about' :laugh:

Bet he's the first on a forum commenting about how his team played...all through beer goggles mind ;-) Formations must look like 884 to some ;-)

Made me laugh-sounds like a 'Mrs Mills' concert on a cross Channel ferry!!...(with Chas 'n Dave as support)

21 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly, no idea why there's quite obviously an underlying dislike from some fans. There'd be near silence at AG without that Atyeo corner. There's so many on here who take a swipe at any opportunity for no good reason.

I hope if it comes to it and the club move the Atyeo fans they provide a good solution. Such a shame the SS hasn't become the EE replacement. It's an ugly stand but does generate good noise.

I still live in hope that one day the club will redo the Atyeo and make it a big single tiered safe standing bank for our home end..

Smaller version of Dortmund's yellow wall would be very nice but that's just a dream.

I wish they would relocate the away fans. In my opinion the fact its the oldest stand and has the players tunnel gives more reason to make it the established home end for cities most vocal supporters

18 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

Smaller version of Dortmund's yellow wall would be very nice but that's just a dream.

I wish they would relocate the away fans. In my opinion the fact its the oldest stand and has the players tunnel gives more reason to make it the established home end for cities most vocal supporters

The players will be coming out from under the Lansdown Stand soon though...

Archived