IGNORED

The Official Bristol City V Hull City evening match thread

where's the joy

1 hour ago, Charliesboots said:

What were some people really expecting from tonight..?

So what..? LJ makes changes in a cup game to see what his players can do...and we concede and look likely to go out of the competition.

League is more important and pays the bills  

Just in from the match and that's bloody cobblers.

What was I expecting?

City to bloody well go for it against a very beatable Hull side.

Not leaving out 4 of our best players and handing the initiative to them.

We're not Chelsea or Man. Utd, we can't afford to put out a near 2nd team, and the League Cup, at this stage, was extremely important to Bristol City and the fans.

Yours is a really s*** comment from someone who didn't even attend, and many of us who did attend feel very let down by the selection tonight.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

We don't play cup games every week so obviously you go to see us try to get promoted.  

Oh damn I'm in a minority.  The shame. 

Promotion for me against winning a cup any day of the week for me and almost every mate I sit with.A cup run is ok but give me the league all day.

20 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

So what category do O'Donnell, Little, Pack and Reid fit into?.

My first thought after going 2-0 down was fitting O'Donnell into a suitcase bound for the bottom of Cumberland Basin.

20,000 Rose-tinted spectacles in this thread. If we'd played the last 5 minutes like the previous 90 we would rightly be more downbeat about the usual strong build, poor end-product when Tammy or Tomlin aren't involved and clownshoes defending costing us paydays.

14 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Ironically you will struggle to find a bigger Johnson fan than me.  I work in oldham and have followed him closely.  Delighted when he got the job.  First time I've ever been disappointed with him tonight.  

Some people on here will see one slight as me writing him off and that couldn't be further from the truth.  

A chance to get to the quarters for first time in ages and some people on here don't seem to care.

Hay I'm with you, the hopes were up Hull were there for the taking.

But Dave I'm thinking you've been supporting this club for a day or two?

So disappointment is a given. If were still around the top six come Christmas will tonight be forgotten ?

55 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

2nd half I thought we played some good football. Engvall  done well very quick. Taylor Moore played well out of position . As for tomlin people doubting his ability need to go and watch another sport . The better the opposition the better the player becomes. Class

?????

Hes a centre half who can play right back 

3 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

My first thought after going 2-0 down was fitting O'Donnell into a suitcase bound for the bottom of Cumberland Basin.

20,000 Rose-tinted spectacles in this thread. If we'd played the last 5 minutes like the previous 90 we would rightly be more downbeat about the usual strong build, poor end-product when Tammy or Tomlin aren't involved and clownshoes defending costing us paydays.

Wasn't there several weeks ago a thread claiming him to be the best keeper in the championship?.

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Just in from the match and that's bloody cobblers.

What was I expecting?

City to bloody well go for it against a very beatable Hull side.

Not leaving out 4 of our best players and handing the initiative to them.

We're not Chelsea or Man. Utd, we can't afford to put out a near 2nd team, and the League Cup, at this stage, was extremely important to Bristol City and the fans.

Yours is a really s*** comment from someone who didn't even attend, and many of us who did attend feel very let down by the selection tonight.

A team that's already been pointed out played 6 in 21 days.

Its called rotation and without it we would seriously compromise our league position and dare I say it put our league status at risk. 

So superfan tell me, because I didn't attend tonight and you did; your opinion (and that's what it is) is more valid than mine?

Oh while we're at it, if you had all the answers you'd be the Manager....I'll make it easy for you; you're not. 

4 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Hay I'm with you, the hopes were up Hull were there for the taking.

But Dave I'm thinking you've been supporting this club for a day or two?

So disappointment is a given. If were still around the top six come Christmas will tonight be forgotten ?

28 years and counting.  If we get to play offs then of course.  I don't see us getting to play offs and see a finish of around 10th unless we buy a couple of quality players in January.  My length of time supporting us probably gives reason to my cup priority.  Very little to remember in cups.

2 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Play your strongest team. , worry about Barnsley later , there's no guarantee we'll beat them anyway , 

You simply can't 'play your strongest team' game in game out in a 50+ game season.

Something's got to give. All this talk about a 'reserve side' is the usual hyperbolic nonsense, I make it THREE players in the 18 tonight who haven't started a league game this season. 

I know this is unfamiliar after last season but we actually have a squad now, not just a starting eleven plus the tea lady, and Scrumpy!

Freeman injured. 

Tammy been looking (understandly) tired of late and had the flu recently.

Matthews and Smith just returning back to full fitness. 

Patterson cup tied (I'm assuming this rule exists in this comp).

O'Neil is 33 and needs managing properly to get a full season out of him.

ROD deserves a chance to regain the number one slot.

This place would of been up in arms if tomlin had played 90 mins and then looked shattered on Saturday. 

Bobby, Marlon and joey have been regularly playing this season.

The only changes I really question was changing both centre halves. But it didn't look like it was either of them at fault for losing men at the corners (from watching ssn).

I'm gutted we have lost, as I always am when we do. But there are no certainties in this game apart from Gillingham away in the cup and we move on to Saturday. 

Edit: just realised flint played. So maybe not that critical of the centre halves either!

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

28 years and counting.  If we get to play offs then of course.  I don't see us getting to play offs and see a finish of around 10th unless we buy a couple of quality players in January.  My length of time supporting us probably gives reason to my cup priority.  Very little to remember in cups.

F....n lightweight your just at the start!!!

Really pleased to see Engval get game time tonight. Considering he hasn't played for a long while and was up against a maybe weak Premiership defence but certainly tougher than most Championship defences he did really well.  First touch was very good. 

Obviously with a slightly weakened team we lacked a bit of composure at times but did play it about pretty well. We did keep going down the right hand side and became reliant on Little to create something but he just wasn't quite up to it.

I thought Moore was very good and can definitely step in at any time. 

Who knows, maybe with a preferred line up we may have pushed them further and nicked it but we didn't so onto Saturday and hopefully the ones that got rested will be sharper for it.

8 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

ROD deserves a chance to regain the number one slot.

He watched that chance sail towards the near post and sail over his head into the net. Second goal he was let down but he wasn't moving enough to cover the shot.

As I said in an earlier post, this competition is treated like the Johnsons or EFL trophy by teams in the top 2 divisions and there are remarkable similarities, the organisation is shit, who could forget Scunthorpe v one of the Bristol teams or was it Chelsea v one of the Bristol teams or was it Cardiff v both of them.

Get to the final and Conte and Guardiola will tell us how important this competition is, well actually only the final really.

Out of interest what if Tammy had started and got seriously injured in the first five minutes and that was that? Would it have happened in another game in the league or should we blame the manager for not resting him.Like I said before, football's unpredictable, take the last two promotions for the other lot. I think we have to trust LJ's judgement after a solid start even with the disappointment of missing an opportunity. 

What's the point in progressing through the early rounds to then go & do that tonight though - just seems like a completely pointless exercise & also a lack of respect to the fans that made the efforts to go to Wycombe, Scunthorpe & Fulham in the hope that we might get to the later rounds & secure a glamour tie.

I just don't get it - 9 changes is ridiculous, we aren't blinking Liverpool for goodness sake & we were playing for a place in the quarter finals. As soon as the line up was announced it killed any chance of an atmosphere as people knew we weren't taking it seriously & we have basically just treated it like a friendly & given the game to Hull. The really sad thing is that Hull were bang average & completely beatable if we had given it a proper go for the first 70 mins.

To be honest I've got no major issue with any of the above if this was the strategy & the club is honest with us from the offset. However you shouldn't be coming out in the lead up to match saying that the quarter finals would be amazing & you need the supporters behind you when in reality you're not even going to give your own team the best chance of achieving that objective.

I'm done with cup games from now on. If the manager can't be arsed to pick his best team against a Prem team with a decent prize at stake then something is wrong. Yes, I know it only cost me £13 for me & my boy but it just felt like a wasted night out having made the effort to get down there & support the team.

40 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

A team that's already been pointed out played 6 in 21 days.

Its called rotation and without it we would seriously compromise our league position and dare I say it out our league status at risk. 

So superfan tell me, because I didn't attend tonight and you did; your opinion (and that's what it is) is more valid than mine?

Oh while we're at it, if you had all the answers you'd be the Manager....I'll make it way for you; you're not. 

All this excessive rotation is absolutely unnecessary, as is your stupid comment labelling me a 'superfan'.

I have been following City since the '70's though and if Alan Dicks had told Cheesley, Gow, Merrick, Tainton, Sweeney, Ritchie or any of the others they were being 'rested' for a cup match of this magnitude there would have been one hell of a dressing room bust up.

Not that Dicks would have ever dreamt of it anyway, most of them played in just about every league and cup game in the promotion season, and only missed as game through a bad injury or suspension.

So why do modern day players need resting all the time now? Why make 3-4 changes every game, in the process giving the team little opportunity to gel?

And why play one of the most important games of the season so far with a team so deliberately weakened that you're more or less throwing away the chance of being in the last 8?

The quarter final was achievable tonight, Hull were on very fragile form and there for the taking if we'd played a stronger team.

It pissed me off when SC did similar against Oxford, but that was early in the competition.This was our big chance, one that comes along so rarely, to really make our mark on the national stage, and though you might not care about it, plenty of your fellow Bristol City fans most certainly did.

Even though we lost, nice to see 4 threads started praising individual performances (Bobby, Taylor Moore, engvall and tomlin), and reading them also pretty universal praise for Flint and pack also.

it certainly seems we have an unprecedented amount of talent in the squad compared to recent years 

Very entertaining match. Completely understand LJ's changes. The League is far more important this season. Great to see the youngsters play so well.

Bottom line, walking away, is that I'd so much rather be following our club than theirs. Still such an exciting season ahead for us...

Archived