IGNORED

Does Little Lee Really Know What He is Doing

longyears

14 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I guess I'm confused as to which part of " we're building a team for the future" and "we're developing exciting young players" and "we'll need three transfer windows to build the team to challenge at the top" is lost on fans who are clearly unhappy with our current top half position.

Then again, I've always been confused about which part of winning the double made SC so unpopular in hindsight.

I'm very happy we're currently in the top half of the table. Not sure what Cotts has to do with this thread, I thought he was brill in League one though!!

2 hours ago, Fiale said:

We are creating chances, we seem to be unable to convert them -  I have no idea if there is such a thing as a composure and finishing coach, but if so I'd bring some in for 3 months and get our lads confident and able to increase our conversion rate. We should be scoring more with the number of chances we get.....

It's not as if the chances are being missed by regular players who are off colur for a while. We haven't had a goal scoring midfielder for a long time and Pack, Smith, Freeman et all have not scored ten between them in two and a half seasons. Plus Paterson has hardly set the world alight and Tomlin does not get as many as his talent should create.

It's hard to take it but we are on a slide down the league and unless several step up to the plate, where will it end?

45 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

I'm sure he knows what he wants to achieve but he's making wrong decisions somewhere which is making us ineffective in attack. Be it tactically, selection or what, I can't put my finger on it, but we simply can't seem to score ATM whereas the first 10 games we were one of the highest scoring teams and we were the team that game in game out had the most chances on goal. None of this is happening now and I don't know why it has just vanished from our game.

I am banging on about this  but I just feel we've lost a bit of belief . Early on in the season we were nicking points mostly  thanks to Tammy's clinical finishing . His touch has gone a bit awry.and no one else has stepped up to take the responsability for scoring .

We have n't being playing great but we have n't been rubbish either ,it is just the fine margins and at the moment we are n't quite there.

I have confidence that we will go on a bit of a run after our next win .

After last season's near debacle, my wish was for City to be competitive this season.

To date, we've achieved that aim, and having only lost one match by two goal margin. 

Yes, the goals have dried up and the 4-2-3-1 formation may be reaching the end of its elastic, but we're creating plenty of chances, dominating possession and playing good football.

With some good additions in January, an attacking midfielder, right back and striker, City should fulfil my wish for at least a top 10 finish and look confidently to the 2017/18 campaign.

Lee Johnson and the club are moving in the right direction I'm excited for the future.

1 hour ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Cotterill didnt right up until the Reading game away, Championship wise he was totally abysmal and the performances got worse every game. Of course Johnson has to have questions asked but it seems like I said there is some mini witch hunt that fans didn't like him as a player which has now transferred to him as a manager... it was only a matter of time that he would be criticised. 

Yes thats true but also we are 1 win away from a top 6 side, that is definite progress in regards to being 2 wins or whatever it was from being 21st last season

I think Cotterill deserved his chance to turn it around after the season before but his stubbornness and whining didn't help him keep the job any longer. There does seem to be a mini witch hunt though with LJ. It seems silly to hold his playing days against him because he's been nothing but impressive as head coach. I just don't want him feeling like we can lose because of all the other things he's overseeing(maybe a bit too much at times from my view outside looking in). I doubt he wants to lose or feels like he can but just because we've got one eye on the future doesn't mean we should not fix things now. The club and LJ know that though just a bit worrying because of the league. One win and we are top 8 again and one loss we are 14th. Just want a bit more consistency but that'll come. 

1 hour ago, CheddarReds said:

Although we are on a bad run I think this is really important. He needs to stick to his key ideas and if he does I think he will change little bits and it will come good. If he changes too much he will potentially have less knowledge on it and players might begin to question him IMO. I like what he's trying to do and will support it.

Yes, on a bad run, but I would've taken 10th at the start of the season. December looks like a brighter month for us so let's get through the rough patch by getting behind the ckub and get ourselves on a bit of run going into the transfer window! COYR.

Yea he just needs to keep pushing the lads. We will push through it. Me being critical is just me believing the squad can offer more in terms of results. After Brighton, Norwich, Newcastle and Villa I think we are close to anyone in terms of talent. So I expect to beat most teams. We won't every week. Just want to see the lads pick up a few difficult 3 points away from home here and there. Once they pick up one or two, they'll start doing it more regularly IMO. 

Unfortunately we have more than our fair share of thick fans who have no patience/understanding. 

They either..

1) are angered that the team isn't maintaining our excellent start to this season (which was great but we clearly overachieved and many other teams were yet to find their form) and genuinely thought we could sustain that form with a squad lacking depth in key areas (Abraham was always going to have lean spells and we don't have enough striking options).

It is hugely unrealistic to expect the team to go from battling relegation to genuine promotion chasing in 1 season with all the strong sides in this league.

or

2) Never wanted Lee Johnson because of the bizarre idea that they didn't like him when he was a player here :blink:. They've been waiting for a poor spell to come out the woodwork. 

I find this notion particularly bizarre, what sort of mental gymnastics do you have to undergo to dislike a manager because you didn't like him as a player.

Of course there are issues to debate and we have lots of problems with our playing side. I find it very strange how many of our fans are doubting Lee because of unrealistic expectations or simply because they don't like him due to his time as a player.

1 hour ago, ciderbeans said:

I'm sure he knows what he wants to achieve but he's making wrong decisions somewhere which is making us ineffective in attack. Be it tactically, selection or what, I can't put my finger on it, but we simply can't seem to score ATM whereas the first 10 games we were one of the highest scoring teams and we were the team that game in game out had the most chances on goal. None of this is happening now and I don't know why it has just vanished from our game.

Abraham having a bit of a lean spell which was inevitable for a young forward like him. 

A real shame we weren't able to bring in another quality goalscorer. Wilbraham, although useful, won't be prolific enough and who knows what's going on with Engvall.

Either way, there's not enough depth or quality there for us to maintain those scoring stats from the beginning of this season.

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

It's clear that someone has a negative opinion of LJ when they refer to him as Little Lee, or that this thread is just a wind-up.

I like Lee as a player and think he's currently doing a great job as manager.

I see Little Lee as an affectionate term rather than something used exclusively by the knockers.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I guess I'm confused as to which part of " we're building a team for the future" and "we're developing exciting young players" and "we'll need three transfer windows to build the team to challenge at the top" is lost on fans who are clearly unhappy with our current top half position.

Then again, I've always been confused about which part of winning the double made SC so unpopular in hindsight.

I don't think SC is unpopular for winning the double. Now , for being bloody minded and stubborn to the point of insanity playing the same losing tactics game after game? Maybe.

1 hour ago, iamsober said:

Same old shite after a loss or two!

Loss or two ? 5 defeats and a draw in seven, worse than any run under SC I believe. Only natural  fans start to worry and show concern, if the losses had been spread through the season we may have said it was a good start. but that run is poor by any measurement.

LJ has brought in many good players ,and I have been more excited about this year than many , That said I query why we have wide players all left footed while not not having balance for the other wing. It can look like we took a punt on players because of their sell on potential and only secondly for their worth to the squad. 

I believe in LJ and what he is trying to build, but happily clap while on a 4 points from 21 run seems ludicrous .

4 hours ago, longyears said:

I had my doubts on appointment and sadly still do - last 5/6 games are relegation form. Anyone else think likewise ?

Mate,for an hour today we outplayed a solid outfit on their own patch.. yes we lack a cutting edge/options up top,and Tammy has been 'sussed' by a few teams,becoming increasingly frustrated and is now snatching at chances he would have buried a while ago.

We are a long way ahead of where we were one year ago,and you can be sure the good work/progress will be backed up in January.

Don't fret-were a long way off of a relegation candidate and two more 'windows work before next season's ko should be enlightening.

38 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Unfortunately we have more than our fair share of thick fans who have no patience/understanding. 

They either..

1) are angered that the team isn't maintaining our excellent start to this season (which was great but we clearly overachieved and many other teams were yet to find their form) and genuinely thought we could sustain that form with a squad lacking depth in key areas (Abraham was always going to have lean spells and we don't have enough striking options).

It is hugely unrealistic to expect the team to go from battling relegation to genuine promotion chasing in 1 season with all the strong sides in this league.

or

2) Never wanted Lee Johnson because of the bizarre idea that they didn't like him when he was a player here :blink:. They've been waiting for a poor spell to come out the woodwork. 

I find this notion particularly bizarre, what sort of mental gymnastics do you have to undergo to dislike a manager because you didn't like him as a player.

Of course there are issues to debate and we have lots of problems with our playing side. I find it very strange how many of our fans are doubting Lee because of unrealistic expectations or simply because they don't like him due to his time as a player.

A lot of 2) going on for sure, sadly. 

Look at a team that will potentially get promoted this season, brighton.

They have two class full backs, a goalkeeper with an England caps, 3 superb strikers, a midfield that has prenier league talent and a coach that has won this league. 

We have none of these things yet we have as many wins as loses and are ahead of villa who spent a fortune . 

We're ok, calm your expectations. you'll enjoy it more.

5 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

No he has done a superb job since he has been here and our squad is most definitely better than what he started with.

we are just being dragged down to our level this year which will be mid table. We have potential to end up in top 10 but if we finish anywhere between 10-15 then it will be steady progress.

his real test will be over the next two windows as he has said he needed 3 to get the squad he wanted.

no panic

Sorry, I just can't agree with that. It's really not all about transfer windows and buying better players, it's about coaching and improving the players you inherit and yes, buy.

Our keeper situation is bizarre, Joe Bryan is a shadow of the player he was, Mark Little is Div 1 at best.......I could go on, I think LJ is great at the media stuff and all ' bomb alley' speak but the basics are missing, there is a problem developing here and I am starting to get concerned.

Maybe our friends from Barnsley were correct, there is a real niavity about Little Lee and he just got lucky up there late on.

12 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Sorry, I just can't agree with that. It's really not all about transfer windows and buying better players, it's about coaching and improving the players you inherit and yes, buy.

Our keeper situation is bizarre, Joe Bryan is a shadow of the player he was, Mark Little is Div 1 at best.......I could go on, I think LJ is great at the media stuff and all ' bomb alley' speak but the basics are missing, there is a problem developing here and I am starting to get concerned.

Maybe our friends from Barnsley were correct, there is a real niavity about Little Lee and he just got lucky up there late on.

Harsh. we're a good championship team and i think thats what most rational fans know we are.

What are your honest expectations of this team/staff?

3 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Does Lee know what he's doing?  I honestly have no idea. Time will tell 

Exactly Andy, and certainly the benefit of any doubt goes to LJ at this stage. 

We can justify his selection policy of many changes, or feel strongly it may be detrimental in not allowing a best team to gel.

We can be frustrated at our disjointed first half performances, or prefer to praise the coach and his football intellect for our improved 2nd half ones.

We can point out he always said he needed 3 windows, or feel this seemed a clever way to delay any judgment and remember 13 players - far more than he publicly anticipated beforehand - were signed in his first one. On that basis will he to need to sign another 26 players in 2 more windows before he assembles the squad he feels he needs?

We can criticise the apparent randomness of our many corner and set piece takers, and how we seem to have gone backwards in those basic aspects of the game, or prefer instead to laud his 'passing game' and our superior possession statistics.

You can look at almost every aspect of LJ's management and justify criticism or praise depending on your own viewpoint but the fact is, imo, that no one on this thread can have the slightest idea whether LJ genuinely knows what he's doing, and time will indeed tell.

What we can all agree on perhaps, is we bloody well hope he does, and as City fans we'll support him unless the day comes when it is abundantly clear that isn't the case.

24 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Harsh. we're a good championship team and i think thats what most rational fans know we are.

What are your honest expectations of this team/staff?

My expectations are that we do not lose five and draw one in seven games. That is not top two, pray-off or comfortable mid table form is it?

Nogbad; Signed thirteen but of the team that finished today's match, eight were with us last season either permanently or on loan. And seven started. What can we read from that?

3 hours ago, iamsober said:

Same old shite after a loss or two!

I wish was only a loss or two. its a bit more than that, something is not quite right with the team at the moment and I for 1 cant understand whether its tactics or we are no as good as we all thought, hoped we were

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Every team has a bad spell, hopefully we are going through ours now. We should have won today so I'm not worried.

Im worried that our bad spell is still to come and that this is our not quite so bad spell :shocking:

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

My expectations are that we do not lose five and draw one in seven games. That is not top two, pray-off or comfortable mid table form is it?

Nogbad; Signed thirteen but of the team that finished today's match, eight were with us last season either permanently or on loan. And seven started. What can we read from that?

That he is signing players cheaply that he thinks will improve and become talented first team players in the near future.

Anyway, Let's look where we stand in the Championship   10th place , 17 games with 7 wins, 7 losses and 3 draws     GD +3

Norwich City a good team ?                                              6th place,  17 games with 8 wins, 6 losses and 3 draws     GD  0

Aston Villa                                                                      16th place, 17 games with 4 wins, 3 losses and 10 draws   GD  +1

Forest, Wolves, Derby, Cardiff, QPR, Wednesday, Fulham, Birmingham we are as good if not better than these teams at the moment, are we seriously not remembering when not to long ago these teams would find losing to us or being below us int he table as embarrassing, impossible... the last few seasons we have started to build ourselves into a team that these clubs can no longer think of as 3 easy points, or Bristol City as a bit of a joke. We have lost at home just twice this season so far ! Our last 10 league games, won 4, lost 4 drawn 2  9th best in the Championship. 7th in most goals scored. We have not been whipped by anyone this season yet either.

People are just forgetting how far we have come in a short time, we have a good young squad forming it is obvious that there is a eye to the future not just this season, we just need to strap ourselves in and enjoy the ride.

3 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Look at a team that will potentially get promoted this season, brighton.

They have two class full backs, a goalkeeper with an England caps.....

Are you thinking of Stockdale as the goalkeeper "with England caps"?! He's got one cap for the England C team (i.e. Non-league under 23s) in 2004 - and even then he only came on as sub - not quite what you are making out?

Frankie Fielding has got loads more international experience than that - with his 14 caps for England under 19s and under 21s...and Ivan Lucic has 19 Austrian caps at four different levels...

26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Are you thinking of Stockdale as the goalkeeper "with England caps"?! He's got one cap for the England C team (i.e. Non-league under 23s) in 2004 - and even then he only came on as sub - not quite what you are making out?

Frankie Fielding has got loads more international experience than that - with his 14 caps for England under 19s and under 21s...and Ivan Lucic has 19 Austrian caps at four different levels...

You're right but regardless, his point is still very valid.

There are lots of similarities with us and Brighton and they're a good model for us to look at and emulate. They also are based in a relatively large potential catchment area and Brighton, like Bristol, is affluent. Both of us are equipped to support a Prem side. 

Across the board though they are much stronger than us on the pitch but also off it. Like us, they've got a new stadium (I know ours has been redeveloped before someone takes it upon themselves to be tedious) but have had a couple more years to get the logistics and infrastructure right.. as well as promoting it effectively and finding pricing that works.. they get very good crowds and it's surely inevitable they'll be promoted soon. We aren't that far away but have some improving to do on the pitch and off it before we can compete. Give it two seasons and I think we'll be at a similar level not only as a playing side but as a club and business.

The future is bright though, people need to be patient.

Archived