IGNORED

Does Little Lee Really Know What He is Doing

longyears

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

If you say so, I cant be bothered to respond to this slander, and will leave it here too.

Was going to pop in and hope to clear the air, but it seems you have your mind set on what I'm like regardless even though it isn't the case, so it seems I would be wasting both of our time if I did so.

Slander please I am prepared to give you face time James. Enough said. 

On 11/12/2016 at 17:19, cidered abroad said:

I know that I'm a glass half empty person but most of that has been nurtured by following City through seven decades.

I also know that the 1979-80 scenario may never happen again in my lifetime, but there are so many fans who think that the recent bad run of nine games with only seven points out of twenty seven will be turned around soon.

Just to remind all you youngsters, in October 1979, City were sitting comfortably at eighth place in the First Division. Six dreadful months later, relegation was confirmed and the rest is history. Bankruptcy, bottom of the Fourth by December 1982 and we've never been back to those lofty places. At the moment, the early season confidence among players and fans has disappeared and now we will see how good is LJ and his management team.

He kept us up last season city always do well in the new year whether it is to do with the window and new players 

On 10/12/2016 at 18:13, Londoner said:

Seriously questioning it after today....neglecting his philosophy and then questioning why we didn't play our usual way is astonishing.

You have to ask really...do we actually have a footballing philosophy? He loves a soundbite but as a team we don't really have an identity or any real style of play.

On 19/11/2016 at 18:13, longyears said:

I had my doubts on appointment and sadly still do - last 5/6 games are relegation form. Anyone else think likewise ?

Does Lee really know what he is doing? That's the question you put to us a few weeks back.

My answer to this would be: Yes, in theory. Lee, as we all know, is very learn-ed and steeped in football coaching and leadership theory. Now, he is out on placement - his third placement - gaining practice. 

He is testing all his study and theory against the hands-on realities of practice. 

In theory, the difference between theory and practice is small. In practice, the difference between theory and practice is large.

Being long on training/theory and short on practice doesn't automatically mean you will not be good enough or successful in your early years of practice, but common sense suggests this will be the case sometimes.

Lee is getting a lot of practice at the moment. I wish him well in this in 2017.

1 win in 14, could be 1 in 15 by 5 o'clock.

The only other club I know that put up with that was Palace because they believed that they had a great manager. They then proceeded to win a couple before the losing streak started all over again.

Oh well, if only there weren't so many awful refs  or if we had taken one of the 25 attempts on target it would have been a totally different story.

This is progress remember.

I think what a lot of people tend to disregard, is whether a manager is the right fit for this Club.

Regardless of a managers credentials, a manager working for us, will have to agree to the philosophy and restraints put on him by the board and owner.

We are not bringing in managers who will be given a free rein to do whatever they want.

We have a 'blueprint' of sorts, that SL and the board want any manager to work with.

Plus...whether we like it or not...a manager that will work best for this Club, will be someone who will develop a good working relationship with our owner.

We are not going to get a manager who changes everything to his liking.

We also now work as a team...rather than a manager perse, in the traditional sense.

We have a Head Coach in LJ who deals with the footballing side.

MA and his team do all the other stuff, like negotiating deals and contracts etc.

It's now a team effort.

So any manager/coach would have to agree and fit in with our clubs philosophy.

When people throw managers names about, who they think could do a good job here, that could only possibly happen if they agreed to work within our philosophy and confines.

What works at one club doesn't necessarily happen at another.

This is why I back LJ...not because it's him...but because we now have a whole team of people working as one, where as in the past, everyone was pulling in different directions and against one another.

Previous managers either became isolated or brought in people to create a little bubble or team within a team.

The Academy was often the biggest loser in this...as previous managers often looked very short term, and just concentrated on players for the here and now...or what they considered the duration of their contract...or likely length of it.

As you can already see....we've brought in players and spent lots of money on 'potential' that often sits on the bench.

We will add to those players with experience, and some may argue that it needed to be done sooner. But who would have thought Matthews, GoN and Tomlin would have underperformed so much....

However...this is how our Club now works. We can't afford the big fees and wages....so we have to buy players earlier, that are unproven and gamble that our scouts and eye for talent is good.

It won't be to everyone's liking...but that's how we roll these days, and it's very early doors in the 'philosophy' taking shape...so mistakes will be made.

So when people talk about other teams and other managers doing better than us at this stage, who they feel are on a same par financially, it's worth considering that those clubs maybe doing it differently to us long term.

Whether it works or not, remains to be seen...but the history of this club since the 60's/70's has been very short sighted. The last time we achieved promotion to the top tier was with a manager who had never managed before...previous job assistant manager. A young 33 yo Alan Dicks....from 1967 to 81. He consolidated us into the second tier and it took him 9 years to get us promotion.

So it may be worth thinking about....the only time we've got promoted to that top tier, was with an unproven young manager, that was given a chance.

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

But who would have thought Matthews, GoN and Tomlin would have underperformed so much....

Spud, I have read many of your posts over the months and years and always find them interesting and thought provoking. You mentioned that Matthews, GoN and Tomlin have underperformed.

Is there any possibility that they have underperformed as a result of the tactics / style of play / positioning that is forced on them by Lee?

As you mention......

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

Maybe, as Lee is 'learning', he needs to listen and take in the views/experience of these type of players? Adjust his philosophy slightly? Perhaps using their positional strengths (i.e. not playing Tomlin on the wing)?

What do you think?

I'm fed up of hearing about people "learning their trade" with Bristol City. Lee Johnson? "Give him time, he's still learning." Our expensive Swedish striker? "Oh he's not ready yet." What are we, some kind of YTS facility? I believe that if we lose today, Johnson will be sacked by the end of the week, and not many people could argue with that.

9 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm fed up of hearing about people "learning their trade" with Bristol City. Lee Johnson? "Give him time, he's still learning." Our expensive Swedish striker? "Oh he's not ready yet." What are we, some kind of YTS facility? I believe that if we lose today, Johnson will be sacked by the end of the week, and not many people could argue with that.

My bold - not a chance.  He'll get at least Jan/Feb. 

3 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

My bold - not a chance.  He'll get at least Jan/Feb. 

By which point it might well be too late to save our season. I think another loss today and Lansdown will seriously question whether he wants Johnson to waste any more of his money in the forthcoming window. You could hardly blame him

19 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Spud, I have read many of your posts over the months and years and always find them interesting and thought provoking. You mentioned that Matthews, GoN and Tomlin have underperformed.

Is there any possibility that they have underperformed as a result of the tactics / style of play / positioning that is forced on them by Lee?

As you mention......

Maybe, as Lee is 'learning', he needs to listen and take in the views/experience of these type of players? Adjust his philosophy slightly? Perhaps using their positional strengths (i.e. not playing Tomlin on the wing)?

What do you think?

As a young manager it's hard to gain respect at the best of times...in any job.

I believe LJ is shrewd enough to take advise.

However...it depends on how that advise is offered.

Look at Wilbs...a top Pro who will offer advise and work with any manager.

If you offer advice and voice concerns in a Professional manner, then it will warmly welcomed.

Offer to knock the managers block off in front of the dressing room or throw toys out of the pram and sulk, or say 'you want out'...will not be welcomed and will be rebuked and dealt with...and rightly so.

As for the players...

Imo...Matthews has struggled with injury but doesn't bust a gut for us. Perhaps protecting a weak hamstring problem.

GoN...he know's his legs have gone...when that happens, it's a struggle to hide the fact and players will often point the finger at others to blame. No one likes this happening to them in their career.

Tomlin...probably played where he is, to fit in with what we've got right now, and because of his lack of defensive discipline and fitness. Very much a catch 22 at the moment.

Play Tomlin in front of GoN, Smith or Pack right now, and you're right royally screwed down the middle. Play Tomlin on the Left and Bryan and Goldbourne know they are in for one hell of a busy afternoon.

IS LEE JOHNSON THE RIGHT MAN FO BCFC ???  I’m not sure but even with the losses we have suffered recently we are still in a better position than last season at this time and I have no reason not to believe that we are not going to  end up in  mid table with a few adjustments.

I think Lee has been a Little Naïve with his team selection at times as trying to win at all costs is to “Gung Ho” .. there are times to play the percentages and take a point, better ONE than NONE.

We as mere supporters / followers of BCFC can only look in from outside so don’t see the whole picture, if we did we would be in a better position to judge.   I have posted before that there is a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes that picks / changes the team selection..

My advice is for us all to keep our nerve an continue to support BCFC whoever is in charge and those doubter’s should  look at the following

The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale
50,472 ratings, 4.08 average rating, 759 reviews 

“The way to happiness: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry. Live simply, expect little, give much. Scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. Try this for a week and you will be surprised.” 
 Norman Vincent Peale, The Power of Positive Thinking

Become a possibilitarian. No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see possibilities -always see them for they're always there. 

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

As a young manager it's hard to gain respect at the best of times...in any job.

I believe LJ is shrewd enough to take advise.

However...it depends on how that advise is offered.

Look at Wilbs...a top Pro who will offer advise and work with any manager.

If you offer advice and voice concerns in a Professional manner, then it will warmly welcomed.

Offer to knock the managers block off in front of the dressing room or throw toys out of the pram and sulk, or say 'you want out'...will not be welcomed and will be rebuked and dealt with...and rightly so.

As for the players...

Imo...Matthews has struggled with injury but doesn't bust a gut for us. Perhaps protecting a weak hamstring problem.

GoN...he know's his legs have gone...when that happens, it's a struggle to hide the fact and players will often point the finger at others to blame. No one likes this happening to them in their career.

Tomlin...probably played where he is, to fit in with what we've got right now, and because of his lack of defensive discipline and fitness. Very much a catch 22 at the moment.

Play Tomlin in front of GoN, Smith or Pack right now, and you're right royally screwed down the middle. Play Tomlin on the Left and Bryan and Goldbourne know they are in for one hell of a busy afternoon.

IMO I think we need to play Engvald on the wing as we lack someone with his speed to get the ball to out of defence.. I think we are to slow in moving forward to pounce on the opposition and too slow getting back to defend. We need the fast break like Liverpool and Chelsea.. A strong defence / midfield and fast counter attack.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I think what a lot of people tend to disregard, is whether a manager is the right fit for this Club.

Regardless of a managers credentials, a manager working for us, will have to agree to the philosophy and restraints put on him by the board and owner.

We are not bringing in managers who will be given a free rein to do whatever they want.

We have a 'blueprint' of sorts, that SL and the board want any manager to work with.

Plus...whether we like it or not...a manager that will work best for this Club, will be someone who will develop a good working relationship with our owner.

We also now work as a team...rather than a manager perse, in the traditional sense.

MA and his team do all the other stuff, like negotiating deals and contracts etc.

It's now a team effort.

When people throw managers names about, who they think could do a good job here, that could only possibly happen if they agreed to work within our philosophy and confines.

This is why I back LJ...not because it's him...but because we now have a whole team of people working as one, where as in the past, everyone was pulling in different directions and against one another.

Previous managers either became isolated or brought in people to create a little bubble or team within a team.

The Academy was often the biggest loser in this...as previous managers often looked very short term, and just concentrated on players for the here and now...or what they considered the duration of their contract...or likely length of it.

As you can already see....we've brought in players and spent lots of money on 'potential' that often sits on the bench.

We will add to those players with experience, and some may argue that it needed to be done sooner. But who would have thought Matthews, GoN and Tomlin would have underperformed so much....

However...this is how our Club now works. We can't afford the big fees and wages....so we have to buy players earlier, that are unproven and gamble that our scouts and eye for talent is good.

It won't be to everyone's liking...but that's how we roll these days, and it's very early doors in the 'philosophy' taking shape...so mistakes will be made.

So when people talk about other teams and other managers doing better than us at this stage, who they feel are on a same par financially, it's worth considering that those clubs maybe doing it differently to us long term.

Whether it works or not, remains to be seen...but the history of this club since the 60's/70's has been very short sighted. The last time we achieved promotion to the top tier was with a manager who had never managed before...previous job assistant manager. A young 33 yo Alan Dicks....from 1967 to 81. He consolidated us into the second tier and it took him 9 years to get us promotion.

So it may be worth thinking about....the only time we've got promoted to that top tier, was with an unproven young manager, that was given a chance.

So the real question is do SL,LJ &MA combined know what they are doing???

And if they do,is their knowledge sound enough to bring the level of success stated as being the goal of this club by predominately utilising unproven players from lower divisions-is their 'eye' good enough???.......I have serious doubts about this proving successful.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

It's now a team effort.

I am sat firmly on the fence with regard to LJ's future, but I do not understand that if we now have this wonderful new structure, including a Director of Communications, why Lee is left alone as the sole voice of the clubs performance. It appears their are now many people, being paid for carrying out the duties of what was  previously the managers responsibility. Where are they when the bullets are flying?

26 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

So the real question is do SL,LJ &MA combined know what they are doing???

And if they do,is their knowledge sound enough to bring the level of success stated as being the goal of this club by predominately utilising unproven players from lower divisions-is their 'eye' good enough???.......I have serious doubts about this proving successful.

SL is our owner...we either support what he does, or moan about it. Like it or lump it...he has his flaws, he's made many, but at least he's acknowledge this and is trying to do something different. Everything else has 'failed' in the past, and you have to cut your cloth accordingly, to compete against the opposition.

26 minutes ago, Ashtonboy said:

I am sat firmly on the fence with regard to LJ's future, but I do not understand that if we now have this wonderful new structure, including a Director of Communications, why Lee is left alone as the sole voice of the clubs performance. It appears their are now many people, being paid for carrying out the duties of what was  previously the managers responsibility. Where are they when the bullets are flying?

Our performances on the pitch are football related...LJ is in charge of that.

You can't expect others to talk about the football coach's job.

If it were transfer negotiations and such like, then you'd expect more from MA. But i'm more inclined to think the Club have pulled him from saying anything more, because he seems to 'irk' so many with business talk.

Damned if you do...damned if you don't.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

By which point it might well be too late to save our season. I think another loss today and Lansdown will seriously question whether he wants Johnson to waste any more of his money in the forthcoming window. You could hardly blame him

What is your definition of "saving our season"?  

If its play-offs, then I'm afraid that bird has already flown the nest.

If it relegation, then we're 6 points clear.  Giving LJ another 6/8 games is unlucky to mean we'd be in a position where we were cut adrift, with no chance of survival, even if we only pick up 1 or 2 points over thwart period. I obviously hope that doesn't happen!

Does anyone know at what point we moved out of the bottom 3 for the final time last season...what game was it?  We yo-yo'd for a few games if I recall.

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What is your definition of "saving our season"?  

If its play-offs, then I'm afraid that bird has already flown the nest.

If it relegation, then we're 6 points clear.  Giving LJ another 6/8 games is unlucky to mean we'd be in a position where we were cut adrift, with no chance of survival, even if we only pick up 1 or 2 points over thwart period. I obviously hope that doesn't happen!

Does anyone know at what point we moved out of the bottom 3 for the final time last season...what game was it?  We yo-yo'd for a few games if I recall.

My definition of saving our season is not getting sucked into a relegation dogfight

Archived