IGNORED

I would sack Johnson now

Numero Uno

6 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

He's had 1 transfer window. Now the vultures are hovering because of 1 run of poor form. I'd rather cut my cock off than be assioated with some of you. You'd be the first digging yourself deeper into a trench whilst others would fight, shame on you ( gutless ). 

:clap:

20 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

I am not sure why so people think adding a few signings next month will change the team overnight and reverse the current form.  It is how the team is motivated and managed to play together as a force that makes the results. Its a pretty good team on paper and individually there are some very good players.  There were also some rising young stars too who seem to have lost their ascendency recently, some don't get a game.

But what is most concerning is hearing the manager saying the same thing about new signings changing everything!  He said it today during the post match interview (again), a few new faces etc and the fine margins will change, but is it is a clutching of straws?  So in January a couple/few? new signings come in maybe with magic boots and we thump Newcastle 5-0, and cruise a wembley play off final.... 

But seriously if the slide continues after these signings (if they happen) really it is time for a new team boss.  I hope not, I hope he is right and he should be given this chance to prove the doubters wrong.  But if it fails he should go then.

Worked last January to be fair.

Strange old season this one. Seventeenth with a goal difference one different from 07/8 where we finished fourth. PersonLly feels like we are a very streaky team and just need a couple of wins to properly turn things around. Won't stop supporting them whatever happens. Don't think sacking Johnson is the solution for what it's worth. People should use their energy getting behind team

9 minutes ago, Out of his pie crust said:

Strange old season this one. Seventeenth with a goal difference one different from 07/8 where we finished fourth. PersonLly feels like we are a very streaky team and just need a couple of wins to properly turn things around. Won't stop supporting them whatever happens. Don't think sacking Johnson is the solution for what it's worth. People should use their energy getting behind team

Yeah, but they don't seem to enjoy doing that as much.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

We lost to a shocking side today. Too much tinkering, he'll get us relegated if we're not careful. Bryan league 1 standard, ditto Reid. Diabolical defensively in midfield. Disorganised rabble and the Manager carries the can imo.

Bryan has ever only been League 1 standard and Reid is really only League 2 so what's new ? As I've said in previous threads we can not expect our current squad to get us anywhere near where we expect with the exception of "maybe" 2 or 3 players. Until we start paying the fees and wages to attract the quality players required we are going nowhere. It really is that simple.

Yes we're now undoubtedly on a shite run (a really shite run tbf) but every loss is by a single goal. We aren't getting battered. We're not getting competely outplayed. We just don't seem to have that final bit of impetus at the moment to get us over the line. But it's still nowhere near as bad as it was allowed to get last year, so LJ's not going anywhere I wouldn't have thought, and we'd do well to get behind him and try and get this turned around. I still believe he can take us places but needs time to do it. We have to accept what we are at the moment and look to build. Patience and I have no doubt we'll progress but it's going to take time. 

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm wavering now for the first time. But let's take form out of the equation for a second. Currently we're in a higher position than we finished last season and we remain a relatively healthy 7 points clear of the drop. If the season ended now, that's actually marginal progress. This team has proven itself capable of winning games at this level, and therefore so has Johnson, to an admittedly limited extent.

It doesn't feel to me like we've reached the "do or die" point we did with Cotterill last season. He has also shown at Barnsley that he is capable of turning around a bad run. My concern grows with every defeat, but on balance I still come to the conclusion every time that he should stay...for now.

I'd add one huge caveat to your post: the season isn't finished yet.  Any talk of improvement or progress is way, way too early to call.

Good start to the season given all the numpties false hope... We will end up roughly where we are now. Small steps, expectations to high. Not a great time to be a city fan but we've had worse. Everyone needs to calm down. January can give us all a boost.

I don't enjoy losing games of football and yes there are some worrying signs especially defensively , but even more reason to stick tight . 9/10 bad games doesn't make you a bad manger.

3 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Good start to the season given all the numpties false hope... We will end up roughly where we are now. Small steps, expectations to high. Not a great time to be a city fan but we've had worse. Everyone needs to calm down. January can give us all a boost.

I don't enjoy losing games of football and yes there are some worrying signs especially defensively , but even more reason to stick tight . 9/10 bad games doesn't make you a bad manger.

All the numpties??

Mr high and mighty, you might consider those people actually being ambitious, and unfortunately being sucked into in the hype that LJ and the media created.

4 minutes ago, shepton red said:

All the numpties??

Mr high and mighty, you might consider those people actually being ambitious, and unfortunately being sucked into in the hype that LJ and the media created.

I consider them to be completly unrealistic / thick. 

Litreally people on here think we have a god given right to be pushing top 6 !! Embarrassing 

The biggest problem for me is the quality of the coaching.   not a single player looks better now than they did at the start of the season.  our set pieces (both attacking and defensively) are poorer than most,  and individuals and hence the team are regressing  it's worrying.

3 minutes ago, Thornbury Red said:

The biggest problem for me is the quality of the coaching.   not a single player looks better now than they did at the start of the season.  our set pieces (both attacking and defensively) are poorer than most,  and individuals and hence the team are regressing  it's worrying.

I agree tammy hasn't improved one bit has he... Oh wait started season on bench and now leads our attack and his all round game has improved.

I wouldn't be sacking him just yet, but i am getting concerned now. Since the new contract that's 4 defeats in a row against a Huddersfield side in poor form, a dreadful Brentford side who were there for the taking, ditto v Preston and then by the sounds of things a very similar performance today against another of the division's poorer teams.

At the moment, in the games I've seen we've played some alright stuff at times but have been poor in both boxes. We lack pace and width, and my feeling is that LJ as a 'modern' coach hugely over complicates things with all the tinkering and formation changes. He tries to be too clever by half. 

We're way too reliant on a 19 year old who isn't even our player and we simply can't afford to spend £2m on a striker in Engvall who never plays. I don't blame LJ entirely for those situations but he's certainly played his part. 

As mentioned I still support LJ for now. But for me he needs to stop tinkering and buggering about with the personnel, settle on a formation and just keep it bloody simple. If we had a massive game, a play off for example, tomorrow, I honestly don't think he'd have the first clue what his best team is and that is a huge worry. He talks a lot about identity and a way of playing - he needs to practice what he preaches and get us playing his way, whatever that is, in a formation the players understand. And he needs to stick with it for a number of games instead of making 4 or 5 changes every single game. Keep it simple. If he keeps tinkering like he is he'll end up having to go, which would be a real shame. 

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I consider them to be completly unrealistic / thick. 

Litreally people on here think we have a god given right to be pushing top 6 !! Embarrassing 

As I said with the hype that the club created who can blame them for being ambitious. Don't blame the fans for being sucked into a false state of expectation.  LJ had spent alot of cash in the summer, and early results led to a higher than expected level of ambition. 

3 minutes ago, shepton red said:

As I said with the hype that the club created who can blame them for being ambitious. Don't blame the fans for being sucked into a false state of expectation.  LJ had spent alot of cash in the summer, and early results led to a higher than expected level of ambition. 

As per usual all the clubs fault !!

There is no chance LJ will be sacked and sacking the manager is not the solution. It has not worked for BCFC and we have had more duds than successes. Was Millen better than GJ - no. Was McInnes betters than Millen - No. Was O-driscoll better than McInnes - No. Was SC better than O'Driscoll - err, yep and we sacked a double winning manager when he went through a tough patch. Even our own board sold him out....

We need to continue to back the team and the negativity is misplaced. In fact, we have dispensed with our best managers (GJ and SC) at points of crisis rather than standing by them.... perhaps we need to think about whether we were better off without them in the longer term.... I would suggest not. Thus, we must stick with and support LJ.

I believe with one or two additions we will be fine. It depends on what fans expect. The Championship is a tough tough league and I would expect us to finish mid-table. If we finish 4th from bottom then that is still an acceptable season... surely  retaining championship status is the key priority and whatever else happens is a bonus?

6 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

There is no chance LJ will be sacked and sacking the manager is not the solution. It has not worked for BCFC and we have had more duds than successes. Was Millen better than GJ - no. Was McInnes betters than Millen - No. Was O-driscoll better than McInnes - No. Was SC better than O'Driscoll - err, yep and we sacked a double winning manager when he went through a tough patch. Even our own board sold him out....

We need to continue to back the team and the negativity is misplaced. In fact, we have dispensed with our best managers (GJ and SC) at points of crisis rather than standing by them.... perhaps we need to think about whether we were better off without them in the longer term.... I would suggest not. Thus, we must stick with and support LJ.

I believe with one or two additions we will be fine. It depends on what fans expect. The Championship is a tough tough league and I would expect us to finish mid-table. If we finish 4th from bottom then that is still an acceptable season... surely  retaining championship status is the key priority and whatever else happens is a bonus?

You are far to sensible to post on here!

7 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

4th from bottom?  Worse than last season.  No, that would not be acceptable.  Not by any stretch of the imagination.  That would represent going backwards. 

LJ will be given more time because we have an owner who, despite the high managerial turnover in recent years, always gives the incumbents a fair chance.  Also, when he does get rid then there are other 'issues' as I suspect was the case with Cotterill or personality clashes with SOD.   In fact SC showed saintly patience with both of them but, in short, SL is far more less inclined to sack mangers then any other owner in the league.  LJ is far more personable (who isn't compared to SOD!) and SL has been a bit of a mentor to him making termination far more difficult.

Still, if the bad run continues well into the new year and we fall into the drop zone he will have little choice. The new stadium, disillusion from fans and expenditure on players with Chanpionship contracts will leave him with little choice. 

I hope LJ can turn things around but if not I was enormously impressed with how Pembo ran things both on the pitch and off the pitch.  Players played with confidence, his tactics were spot on and his recruitment was good.  He went back to basics to coin a phrase and kept things simple and the players responded with vastly improved performances and results. 

Presumably it's coincidental but the bad run started when LJ brought in a new coach and perhaps Pembo's influence has been reduced.  I'd be very comfortable with JP back in charge again if results make a change unavoidable.

Completely understand frustrations on here but sacking him is only going to start that same merry go round since GJ left.

We need to accept we are one of the smaller clubs in the league. It annoys me when i see clubs like swansea, blackpool and bournemouth in the prem but it also gives me hope than we can get there. 

We have spent a bit of money yes but on younger players who need time to adapt. He will get money in jan and will add accordingly. 

If we bring in a new manager he will want to bring in his own players and style of play and the merry go round starts again. 

Archived