IGNORED

OTIB Forum and why is it so popular

Fiale

I think it's all about the people that contribute and moderate the forum. Whether you agree with them or not (and by God I don't at times) you have value all of it.

I go back as far as the City List and even then with the 18 or so on that it was well supported and managed.

I find it the number one source for Bristol City news to be honest; even above the official site and Twitter feed. 

There have also been memorable posts and threads and memorable people, e.g. Robbo's classic 'Gary Johnson Conference Manager' one. Still to this day my mates and I refer to this! Absolute belter! 

I used to contribute a lot years ago but prefer to sit back and enjoy reading now and join in the Chat Room; which is also superb by the way. 

4 minutes ago, One Team said:

I think it's all about the people that contribute and moderate the forum. Whether you agree with them or not (and by God I don't at times) you have value all of it.

I go back as far as the City List and even then with the 18 or so on that it was well supported and managed.

I find it the number one source for Bristol City news to be honest; even above the official site and Twitter feed. 

There have also been memorable posts and threads and memorable people, e.g. Robbo's classic 'Gary Johnson Conference Manager' one. Still to this day my mates and I refer to this! Absolute belter! 

I used to contribute a lot years ago but prefer to sit back and enjoy reading now and join in the Chat Room; which is also superb by the way. 

I also migrated from the City List.

Salad.

Thanks to @Tomarse 's continual efforts to keep the hardware and software ticking over efficiently we have a forum that is better to use than any other club forum I've had a look at.

OTIB is actually a pleasure to read compared to most (not making any comment on content).

As with most things in life, you only realise what you've got when it's gone. If I'm stuck for an Internet connection I soon realise how much of my time is spent scanning threads.

A big thanks from me to all who contribute and the diligent work of the moderators.

5 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Coincidentally I've just been on archive.org looking at 'old otib'. 

Can go back as far as 2000 and although I can't read posts I could see certain characters whom have stood the test of time such as @leadman and @Bat Fastard. Gluttons for punishment obviously... ;)

I had a small chuckle at the old web address too... http://forum.bcfc.co.uk (which doesn't redirect to here or even work...) and thinking how often I typed that in to IE back in the day...

use to get banned every other week back then, even got a 3 monther once, ive mellowed

8 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I also migrated from the City List.

Salad.

In addition to the salad, wasn't there a Cider Squid? It seems surreal now to think that a drawing of such a creature was actually printed in the programme as matchday sponsor once. Was a brilliant group that had many of the qualities of the present day OTIB - intelligent debate and irreverent banter.

The Net Centre site/message board was also regularly one of the top 5-10 most active in the UK on Rivals (including Premiership teams) so it must be that City fans have always been disproportionately argumentative or bored compared to many other cities and fans. Bristol, capital of procrastination.

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

In addition to the salad, wasn't there a Cider Squid? It seems surreal now to think that a drawing of such a creature was actually printed in the programme as matchday sponsor once. Was a brilliant group that had many of the qualities of the present day OTIB - intelligent debate and irreverent banter.

The Net Centre site/message board was also regularly one of the top 5-10 most active in the UK on Rivals (including Premiership teams) so it must be that City fans have always been disproportionately argumentative or bored compared to many other cities and fans. Bristol, capital of procrastination.

Yeap, there was also the cider drinking squid on the mailing list.

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

Did you ever update your betting app/guide? 

(Fires?) - I think it was called.

11 hours ago, WestonRobin said:

"Think" - Big Tone I'm afraid it would seem that you aren't that memorable...at least, not in Dolly's world.

Little bit harsh to find out this way if you ask me - it's like being dumped by text

The little minx is just playing the hard to get

16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Did you ever update your betting app/guide? 

(Fires?) - I think it was called.

Wow - at risk of breaking all the going off topic rules - you have an incredible memory, I honestly forgot all about that more than 10 years ago.

As it happens, I still had the documentation in my bookshelf - with state of the art Windows 95 graph for City league position under Tony Pulis.

IMG_7367.JPG

Took about 5 minutes to predict 1 match, but on it's first run it's 8 highest rated draws were all correct, £13,000+ return from £1 bet.

Unfortunately I only bet on 4 draws :facepalm:

27 minutes ago, Olé said:

Wow - at risk of breaking all the going off topic rules - you have an incredible memory, I honestly forgot all about that more than 10 years ago.

As it happens, I still had the documentation in my bookshelf - with state of the art Windows 95 graph for City league position under Tony Pulis.

IMG_7367.JPG

Took about 5 minutes to predict 1 match, but on it's first run it's 8 highest rated draws were all correct, £13,000+ return from £1 bet.

Unfortunately I only bet on 4 draws :facepalm:

Maybe it's time for it to make a comeback! Fill in the missing 10 years worth of results and see what it comes up with.

Might save a lot of arguments on here.

• Admin

You absolute bastards, I am in work now and cannot concentrate as I try to remember what happened to my City List T shirt, C/W aforementioned squid.

There is every possibility it went the way of my 'No More Tears' T shirt which being white, did not recover from a particularly messy after match curry one Saturday.... but I can't be sure.

This will be my 9th year as a poster, with about 2 years in the shadows before that. Ironically what prompted me to start writing on here was how Lee Johnson was letting Marvin Elliott down as his central midfield partner! How times change.

I think what makes Otib so good for me is there odd poster who posts nonsensical ramblings, but at the same time chats more sense than the majority of Geoff Twentyman's callers on RB - Majorisewater springs to mind. And the "Right Hon..." well I forget the rest. 

Occasional recognition that you've been here a while is nice, but it's also nice that new posters come in and usually have something new to talk about, which always adds to a social forum.

Rolling back the years there was "Malone FM" who I never really understood but was entertaining, and the ever irritating "Cheese". 

Lastly, recently I posted on a thread as a light hearted but truthful post that Christmas had wiped me out and that I didn't have a spare £10 to go watch the Fleetwood game. Fortunately a mate came with me so helped out, but prior to that a member of this forum (who I did not know of personally) PM'd me saying if all else failed they would buy me a ticket. 

I think you'd be hard pressed to find another forum where such generosity is shared between fans.

My knowledge of vocabulary has been extensively expanded since joining this site.

In my daily business I'm pretty sure I have never heard of Unan and would not know even which continent it was based but now freely drop into conversations which impresses both friend and foe alike.

Not that my up bringing did not have colourful language, it most definitely did but the expansion of the vocabulary has been second to none since I joined OTIB

6 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

My knowledge of vocabulary has been extensively expanded since joining this site.

In my daily business I'm pretty sure I have never heard of Unan and would not know even which continent it was based but now freely drop into conversations which impresses both friend and foe alike.

Not that my up bringing did not have colourful language, it most definitely did but the expansion of the vocabulary has been second to none since I joined OTIB

What about "polrumptious daffock"?

I was on Rivals as CamRed back in the day, loved that site and was gutted when it closed, and steadfastly refused to move onto here

I think it's 10 years this Christmas Eve that I signed up on here. Tend to stay away if we're on a bad run nowadays, but do love a transfer window

We've certainly lost some characters on here through the years, but we've still got some good ones around. And some people who are genuinely ITK, which adds something, and a few that really know their football. I don't go on other forums, but I can't imagine there are too many out there that top this place 

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Enjoying your 15 minutes Major? Have we all signed something saying that these "journalists" can quote our posts without our prior consent?

*Yes I am just bitter that they didn't pick mine.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Mad to think the CL managed to sponsor many a boxing day game. What's the cost now, over £3.5k I think.

It's a shame the CL has pretty much died now, I think only 2 emails in the past 12 months.  It's still good to look through the files on there - you can still see the sponsorship photos and the like from 2002. Was it really 15 years ago, yikes.  I remember during the pulis fall out, the board 4 v 3 split one month it topped 3'500 emails. Crazy.

I still shake my head at how Rivals ended up. It was an absolutely superb idea. I don't think there has been anything as sucessful for having a cross platform/single sign website for all 92 clubs.  606 was perhaps closest thing and the BBC went and killed that off too.

Archived