IGNORED

The non-official Burnley v City in the FA Cup match day thread

Septic Peg

1 minute ago, samo II said:

I never implied you were deluded; I just wondered what your threshold for a good week was, and what involved LJ staying in a job looked like.

My concern is that our fellow relegation candidates have opponents and are in the type of form that might see them pick up points this week, and a win against Rotherham might only keep us where we are right now, which for me would signal us needing something against Wednesday.

And for the for the record; I'm also against can sacking, and desperately wanted LJ to succeed.  

But I'm simply not convinced he's done enough this season to show he can progress the playing side of the team, and think our Championship status is more important than LJ being in the head coach job.

If the system we have established is like that of Southampton, we need to be able to switch our head coaches when the person in that role isn't keeping us competitive, and by its nature that role shouldn't be linked to one man.  

I know you didn't say I was deluded - I'm just tired of words like this being used too unnecessarily often by many others like @Bob Bob Super Bob (Courage of my convictions) at anyone who may be willing to see LJ given a few more games. Our chairman and board are also some of those people who wish to give him more time and I wouldnt call them deluded. 

I agree entirely signs don't look good and the system we are putting in place means that we can switch managers more smoothly, at the moment it looks likey that will happen. But as I said before, the quality is in the team, a win could do wonders for confidence and momentum changes very quickly. The players are committed and still behind the manager, so let's hope that we can get some points this week.

41 minutes ago, samo II said:

I'm delighted to hear they've want to play for the club.

But just further put the spotlight on the tactics they are being asked to commit to, which have led to us to losing nine from the last eleven now.

Realise some are going overboard and personal in their critique of LJ, but let's not kid ourselves; the players still pulled for Cotts till the end - still needed a change.

LJ will need these big positives he speaks of showing Tuesday and Saturday because we're running out of games to stay in this league.

Or maybe Cotts needed the kind of backing the Board has given LJ?

6 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Or maybe Cotts needed the kind of backing the Board has given LJ?

Not particularly pertiant at this point, nor especially relevant to the conversation; the he-said-she-said and what ifs of what you've raise have been done to death and I'm tire of them.

I brought up what I did not to compare the manager's records, more to say that whether it is a limited or talented bunch of players going all out for the manager matters not if they aren't being set up in a way that wins points.  

This counts even for Cotts and LJ at this juncture; I felt Cotts had to go, and unfortunately think LJ has reached the same stage, regardless of whether the team adore him or hate him. 

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

A few games ago Johnson left Freeman out, saying he (Johnson) didn't think Freeman should play because he had to make a decision (about extending his contract).

But Johnson has just said Freeman didn't want to travel today which was "disappointing because we want him to be involved".

Well what has changed? :doh:

:blink: Seems pretty simple to me.

A) We've offered him a new deal and LJ told him we want him to sign and stay.

B) He is stalling and shopping around. While he does so, not only is that disappointing to us because of A), but his head isn't in the game, so is left out for a game.

C) LJ says he has refused to play today, which is doubly disappointing because of A) and that today was a day where, for the good of the club, we needed to use the whole squad to help cope with the injuries we have and the whole 3 games in a week thing. 

By all means have a dig at LJ for the results, but don't dig at him for players like Freeman's out right disrespect to the club and his contract. 

Edit - as @Bob Bob Super Bob copied and pasted this on another thread I can add you to this post.

Well the goals we conceded looked so simple and basic

But we gave them the first instead of clearing the ball in the 45th minute and the second should never happen from your own free kick. Someone should have the sense to make a foul.

Vyner put in a good ball for djuric though which he should've scored. 

11 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I know you didn't say I was deluded - I'm just tired of words like this being used too unnecessarily often by many others like @Bob Bob Super Bob (Courage of my convictions) at anyone who may be willing to see LJ given a few more games. Our chairman and board are also some of those people who wish to give him more time and I wouldnt call them deluded. 

I agree entirely signs don't look good and the system we are putting in place means that we can switch managers more smoothly, at the moment it looks likey that will happen. But as I said before, the quality is in the team, a win could do wonders for confidence and momentum changes very quickly. The players are committed and still behind the manager, so let's hope that we can get some points this week.

Awwwww bless

:violin:

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Someone's having a tantrum !!

Keep going :thumbsup:

I'm as calm as a cucumber thank you.

You have nothing interesting to add to the debate and are forced to fall back on the old classic 'seen them all before' childish comments like your last two.

It gives you away. 

But keep coming with childish replies....let me help you out: 

"shall I get you a princess dress and you can go have a lie down"

The real problem is the reality of our situation, 3 points (should we actually win a game) from our next 2 games is not enough, February then leaves us with 4 out 5 games away from home all which fall into Bob Hope spectrum and then March looks like one possible winnable game (given our present form).

We are deep in the shit and I am struggling to see a way out personally.

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

You have nothing interesting to add to the debate and are forced to fall back on the old classic 'seen them all before' childish comments like your last two.

It gives you away. 

:thumbsup:

34 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

:blink: Seems pretty simple to me.

A) We've offered him a new deal and LJ told him we want him to sign and stay.

B) He is stalling and shopping around. While he does so, not only is that disappointing to us because of A), but his head isn't in the game, so is left out for a game.

C) LJ says he has refused to play today, which is doubly disappointing because of A) and that today was a day where, for the good of the club, we needed to use the whole squad to help cope with the injuries we have and the whole 3 games in a week thing. 

By all means have a dig at LJ for the results, but don't dig at him for players like Freeman's out right disrespect to the club and his contract. 

Edit - as @Bob Bob Super Bob copied and pasted this on another thread I can add you to this post.

If Freeman refused to play today, I agree with your penultimate sentence.

But equally, and this was my original point, it is disingenuous for LJ to moan about it when he left Freeman out in the first place, claiming at that time that he did so because Freeman wouldn't sign a contract extension. That was the reason LJ gave first and foremost, the "head not in it" was an afterthought.

Your scenario may be right, but somehow I just don't think so.

There's something odd about it, I mean I could be wrong, but I don't think LJ was asked about Freeman in the interview, he just introduced it.

13 minutes ago, NickJ said:

But equally, and this was my original point, it is disingenuous for LJ to moan about it when he left Freeman out in the first place, claiming at that time that he did so because Freeman wouldn't sign a contract extension. That was the reason LJ gave first and foremost, the "head not in it" was an afterthought.

There's something odd about it, I mean I could be wrong, but I don't think LJ was asked about Freeman in the interview, he just introduced it.

of course there is a Johnson theme to this with Saint Basso.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

How dare you suggest that?  We were awful from the first whistle,  and it's all Lee Johnston's fault.  Didn't you know?  Those poor underprivileged and under-paid players.  They can't possibly compete, because Lee Johnston has forced them to underperform.  There they are, ball at their feet, and they think "oh christ, Lee Johnston is our manager" and over the crossbar it goes.  The power he has is frightening, and he's only 5ft 6in you know?

Damn you, Lee Johnston! Whoever you may be.

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

We're supposed to believe 2 contradictory stories in 1. Makes no sense at all. 

14 hours ago, NickJ said:

I believe when LJ left Freezy out of the side over the last few weeks, it was done with everyone's best interest at heart. Give him some time and space to clear his head and make a decision when we need everyone on the pitch giving 110%. But should he be needed, Luke should still prepare to be ready. LJ informed the fans of that decision so we understood.

That was several weeks ago, we are now 3 days from the window slamming shut.

For me there is a big difference between giving a player a game or two because his head's not in the right place, to that player outright refusing to travel and play.

I think the fans have a right to know when a player refuses to play. So did LJ and he told us. For me that is not contradictory.

Disengenious? Well that's your opinion, some people will of course use every and any excuse to criticise LJ right now.

Perhaps he was just being honest with the fans?? But the simple answer is never the right one when things are tough....

15 hours ago, Alessandro said:

It gives you away. 

I'm with you pal; football is all about opinion some you agree with some you don't.

You make some great points, but what is a little tedious on this forum is some of the silly negative responses.

If you disagree let's have your considered response and maybe we can all learn from it.

Archived