IGNORED

Cotts desperate for Blackburn on SSN

TrowVegasCidered

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Cotterill is pleased no doubt that he's linked to the job that's all. Good for his ego.

Hes no need yet to take a managerial job yet. He's still picking up his wages from City.

no he isn't, he only had a 12 month rolling contract, he left longer then 12 months ago

Just now, glynriley said:

Nope. Signed a 3.5 year contract when he took over from SOD, who was on a 12 month roller. 

thought it was a 12 month rolling, oh well I stand corrected still we stop paying at the end of the season then, unless he had a pay-off of course

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Nope. Signed a 3.5 year contract when he took over from SOD, who was on a 12 month roller. 

Let's be honest. Neither Cotts or LJ are good enough to manage at this level. City will never progress unless they invest in an experienced, proven, tactically astute Manager. 

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Cotts, you know,,,,,,, the bloke who won us our first league title in 60 years, the bloke who gave us our best season in decades..............

Oh him.

Yes he did well but look how it ended. Ended being the key word. As in the past.

As my psychiatrist says you need to live in the moment not long for the past.

Onwards and upwards. Keep the faith @RedLionLad

I fancy a rendition of The Snake tonight. 

11 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Eh? He hasn't faced cotts as a manager since he left.....no one has

and you seem to be forgetting the promotion form we were in since Johnson came in until oct,

shame he's lost the plot since

I think he was referring to the Cardiff game away when Cotts was a guest pundit.

EDIT: Just seen this has already been commented.

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Let's be honest. Neither Cotts or LJ are good enough to manage at this level. City will never progress unless they invest in an experienced, proven, tactically astute Manager. 

Not sure why you've quoted me with this statement, I was merely correcting monkeh, but as you have I will do you the courtesy of a reply.

Cotts - Is he good enough? I'd love to have seen what he could do if he had spent the sort of money LJ has. Never been relegated from this division I believe, so must have something about him. I think his obvious weakness is his stubbornness, and he made me laugh on SSN last night, when reviewing the Sheffield Weds. game, he said the manager might have to change the shape of the team at half time! Good one Steve. Love the bloke for the season he gave us and TBH I'm a bit worried he may get the Blackburn job as I think he's the sort of manager who will galvanise the whole club and give them a siege mentality that won't be in our best interests.

LJ - Only 1 year at this level and not making a great fist of it at the moment. Talks a good game but seems to put far to much emphasis on what the opposition are going to do. Is obviously suffering from a major lack of confidence in his own ability due to the record run of defeats because his management of situations late in games has been awful lately. Hope for everyone's sake something clicks and we can put enough points on the board to steer clear of trouble, and he becomes a better manager for it, because the owner seems determined to stick with him.

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Average managers like SC get regularly sacked and that usually means they get either paid up or continue to pick up their wedge until the contract expires or they take another managerial job. Many of them don't necessary need another job immediately - like Cotterill.

So.....do a Holloway and become a pundit. That way your name remains in the frame because you're on TV and you're earning at the same time. It's a win win situation.

Indeed...however, I've seen it posted on here many times that SC doesn't need another managerial job, as he's still being paid by the Club.

That is purely made up speculation. No one knows whether he's been paid up already or still being paid.

He's applying for jobs, and has been for a while. He's even turned down jobs.

Any manager worth his salt, wants to get straight back into the game. The longer they are out of it, the harder it is to get a job, or you end up further down the leagues.

The list of managers without a job is getting ever increasing.

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting that Cotts is suddenly appearing on Sky again

Some timing to do with his sack from us before he was able to work on TV (in the game) again?

prob just not interested, wanted to take a break etc, I'm sure he'll be doing a dowie role there sooner or later 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Indeed...however, I've seen it posted on here many times that SC doesn't need another managerial job, as he's still being paid by the Club.

That is purely made up speculation. No one knows whether he's been paid up already or still being paid.

He's applying for jobs, and has been for a while. He's even turned down jobs.

Any manager worth his salt, wants to get straight back into the game. The longer they are out of it, the harder it is to get a job, or you end up further down the leagues.

The list of managers without a job is getting ever increasing.

Paid up by City or not, he's clearly pondering his next move and waiting for the job that suits him. That's the envious position his successful managerial career has put him in.

That impressive record in management includes - overall - a solid one in the Championship, despite some of the nonsense written on here.

That he's never been relegated in a 20 year career despite often being in charge of basket case clubs, where others may have been swamped by the depression and negativity that confronted them, will not have been overlooked by chairmen determined to drag their clubs clear.

Equally he'll be of interest to bigger clubs, not necessarily threatened by relegation, but who have stagnated below their potential.

Another club will benefit from his experience, enthusiasm, the ability to engender a great team spirit and get ordinary players to gel and play above themselves, whether in the next few weeks, or the Summer. 

You and others have always disliked him, but take away your personal feelings and look at his record and you'll see that he'll be a great appointment for some fortunate club, and when that happens he'll no doubt improve them, and quickly.

Put it this way, if he hadn't managed City before I've no doubt the board would be considering him very strongly as a replacement for LJ right now.

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Paid up by City or not, he's clearly pondering his next move and waiting for the job that suits him. That's the envious position his successful managerial career has put him in.

That impressive record in management includes - overall - a solid one in the Championship, despite some of the nonsense written on here.

That he's never been relegated in a 20 year career despite often being in charge of basket case clubs, where others may have been swamped by the depression and negativity that confronted them, will not have been overlooked by chairmen determined to drag their clubs clear.

Equally he'll be of interest to bigger clubs, not necessarily threatened by relegation, but who have stagnated below their potential.

Another club will benefit from his experience, enthusiasm, the ability to engender a great team spirit and get ordinary players to gel and play above themselves, whether in the next few weeks, or the Summer. 

You and others have always disliked him, but take away your personal feelings and look at his record and you'll see that he'll be a great appointment for some fortunate club, and when that happens he'll no doubt improve them, and quickly.

Put it this way, if he hadn't managed City before I've no doubt the board would be considering him very strongly as a replacement for LJ right now.

he'll probability replace warnock at Cardiff, Monk at Leeds or who ever is in charge at wolves,

Like him as a manager, his stubbornness cost him his job here, would of been interesting to see what he could do with the players johnson has at his disposal, I'd wager we'd be 10th and fans would be calling for his head 

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

A solid one in the Championship...really?

15% win rate with us in the Championship, worse win rate than any other City manager in this league.

At other teams in the Championship he's managed...He's mainly lost more games than he's won.

Forest...32% win rate.

Pompey....29%

Burnley...  34%

However...he did really well lower down the leagues with Cheltenham, Notts County and Us.

I look at those facts and regardless of what I think of him as a person, they speak for themselves.

He's a dinosaur in the way he runs a football club. He'll struggle to get anyone above League 1 imo.

Look at the experience Phil Brown has got...and now managing at Southend.

I can see a similar posting for SC.

As for the board looking at SC now as a replacement for LJ having not managed before...maybe...he did agree to the blueprint the club set out previously, then when mental and feral, and decided he was going to do it his way...sod the academy and pay structures put in place. Sod the rest of the coach's...sod the pathway for academy players into the first team. Ignore what the financial director asked. And only worked with Agents him and Burt 'fancied'.

If you think his Championship percentages are 'Solid'...then that's your prerogative. :-)

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

15% win rate with us in the Championship, worse win rate than any other City manager in this league.

At other teams in the Championship he's managed...He's mainly lost more games than he's won.

Forest...32% win rate.

Pompey....29%

Burnley...  34%

However...he did really well lower down the leagues with Cheltenham, Notts County and Us.

I look at those facts and regardless of what I think of him as a person, they speak for themselves.

He's a dinosaur in the way he runs a football club. He'll struggle to get anyone above League 1 imo.

As for the board looking at SC now as a replacement for LJ having not managed before...maybe...he did agree to the blueprint the club set out previously, then when mental and feral, and decided he was going to do it his way...sod the academy and pay structures put in place. Sod the rest of the coach's...sod the pathway for academy players into the first team. Ignore what the financial director asked. And only worked with Agents him and Burt 'fancied'.

If you think his Championship percentages are 'Solid'...then that's your prerogative. :-)

have a look at the situation all those clubs were under at the time he managed them,

Pompy were a hairs breath from going to the wall, he kept them up against all odds,

Forest were certs for relegation, he steadied the ship and got them to respectable lower mid-table before being replaced by the new owners

he under achieved a bit at burnley but still made them a solid mid-table team and one that was good in cup competitions to boot,

I'd say that's a pretty decent championship manager who in turn was a fantastic lower league manager,

You never took to cotterll when he was here, I seem to remember your user name being Depths of despair,

Granted we'd never win promotion from this league with him in charge, but we'd be doing a damn set better if he had the resources Johnson has had

I think your personal feelings are clouding you on this one to be honest 

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

Average managers like SC get regularly sacked and that usually means they get either paid up or continue to pick up their wedge until the contract expires or they take another managerial job. Many of them don't necessary need another job immediately - like Cotterill.

So.....do a Holloway and become a pundit. That way your name remains in the frame because you're on TV and you're earning at the same time. It's a win win situation.

Where does that leave below average managers like LJ?.

30 minutes ago, spudski said:

Forest...32% win rate.

Pompey....29%

Burnley...  34%

Those stats tell you nothing about the situations those clubs were in at the time. Imo Steve Cotterill is a better manager than Lee Johnson and would be getting more our of this squad than he is. 

18 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

have a look at the situation all those clubs were under at the time he managed them,

Pompy were a hairs breath from going to the wall, he kept them up against all odds,

Forest were certs for relegation, he steadied the ship and got them to respectable lower mid-table before being replaced by the new owners

he under achieved a bit at burnley but still made them a solid mid-table team and one that was good in cup competitions to boot,

I'd say that's a pretty decent championship manager who in turn was a fantastic lower league manager,

You never took to cotterll when he was here, I seem to remember your user name being Depths of despair,

Granted we'd never win promotion from this league with him in charge, but we'd be doing a damn set better if he had the resources Johnson has had

I think your personal feelings are clouding you on this one to be honest 

Thanks monkeh, saved me the trouble of replying.

I'd only add he kept Burnley stable in the Championship despite the club then being in the position of having to sell their best player every season, so imo. did a more than solid job there.

11 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Those stats tell you nothing about the situations those clubs were in at the time. Imo Steve Cotterill is a better manager than Lee Johnson and would be getting more our of this squad than he is. 

We could have been playing in league one if Cotts had stayed.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

And one who buys into Lansdowns strategy..........

Which is what? We need young, hungry players. Oh wait, I didn't mean that many, Mark. Go and get me some experience in in January.

I wonder what the new fad will be in the summer? Don't get me wrong, SL has put blood, sweat and riches into this club, and anyone who forgets that needs a real lesson in respect. But our philosophy is so wishy-washy, isn't it?

SO'D summed it up when he said in his first interview he essentially told SL how to run the club, with a head coach, etc. Fast forward 10 months and we're back to appointing managers on 3.5 year deals. I know LJ is officially a head coach again, but it doesn't exactly smack of a clear direction does it.

6 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Which is what? We need young, hungry players. Oh wait, I didn't mean that many, Mark. Go and get me some experience in in January.

I wonder what the new fad will be in the summer? Don't get me wrong, SL has put blood, sweat and riches into this club, and anyone who forgets that needs a real lesson in respect. But our philosophy is so wishy-washy, isn't it?

SO'D summed it up when he said in his first interview he essentially told SL how to run the club, with a head coach, etc. Fast forward 10 months and we're back to appointing managers on 3.5 year deals. I know LJ is officially a head coach again, but it doesn't exactly smack of a clear direction does it.

the philosophy hasn't changed in about 6 years now,

Sign young and up coming players where possible with old pros becoming the exception rather then the norm, we've done that

improve the facilities we've impassively done that,

If you look at the length on the contracts, 3.5 years is pretty standard industry wide, the extension was puzzling I'd agree but at the time it was prob deserved because of the form we were in and now looks stupid with the benefit of hindsight

19 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

the philosophy hasn't changed in about 6 years now,

Sign young and up coming players where possible with old pros becoming the exception rather then the norm, we've done that

improve the facilities we've impassively done that,

If you look at the length on the contracts, 3.5 years is pretty standard industry wide, the extension was puzzling I'd agree but at the time it was prob deserved because of the form we were in and now looks stupid with the benefit of hindsight

Except that we admitted we overdid the youth-buying policy in the summer. Which is, at least, better than last summer, when we did nothing. Of the 9 who came in during the summer, just under half of them  will be out on loan if Engvall goes back to Sweden. I'm all for building for the future but to paraphrase Ashton himself, "it's about the now" as well.

Remember when the five pillars came out, we had McInnes trotting out lines about having to bring in Jody Morris because we couldn't afford anyone better?

Contrast that with the summer spending in 2016, which was - luckily - off-set by the sale of JK, its chalk and cheese. JK's sale wasn't anywhere near certain until the last couple of weeks of August, neither Bolasie's, so going by our approach to that point, we were ready to make a considerable net loss on transfers.

I'll happily stand corrected when the accounts come out (but that won't be for a good 6 months) but I would be shocked the sums we spent in the summer, JK & YB aside, were countered by the new facilities, or anything close to it.

There is not necessarily a problem with us spending money. That's not the issue, we change youth coaches like confetti, we go from Jody Morris being our signing calibre to £2million centre-halves from Juventus.

You miss my point about Cotterill, too. Why did we switch from a 12-month rolling deal and a head coach to a 3.5-year one with a manager within 10 months - what kind of consistent philosophy is that? I could be wrong, but it sounds very much like a case of "What would you like? Yes of course, sign here".

5 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Except that we admitted we overdid the youth-buying policy in the summer. Which is, at least, better than last summer, when we did nothing. Of the 9 who came in during the summer, just under half of them  will be out on loan if Engvall goes back to Sweden. I'm all for building for the future but to paraphrase Ashton himself, "it's about the now" as well.

Remember when the five pillars came out, we had McInnes trotting out lines about having to bring in Jody Morris because we couldn't afford anyone better?

Contrast that with the summer spending in 2016, which was - luckily - off-set by the sale of JK, its chalk and cheese. JK's sale wasn't anywhere near certain until the last couple of weeks of August, neither Bolasie's, so going by our approach to that point, we were ready to make a considerable net loss on transfers.

I'll happily stand corrected when the accounts come out (but that won't be for a good 6 months) but I would be shocked the sums we spent in the summer, JK & YB aside, were countered by the new facilities, or anything close to it.

There is not necessarily a problem with us spending money. That's not the issue, we change youth coaches like confetti, we go from Jody Morris being our signing calibre to £2million centre-halves from Juventus.

You miss my point about Cotterill, too. Why did we switch from a 12-month rolling deal and a head coach to a 3.5-year one with a manager within 10 months - what kind of consistent philosophy is that? I could be wrong, but it sounds very much like a case of "What would you like? Yes of course, sign here".

got to disagree with you there, it wasn't a lucky offset, we don't see whats going on behind the scenes,

we also had greater spending power this season than before any other season in our existence as we finally had corporate facilities which enabled us to set bigger budgets,

the second bit you don't really have a point as each manager is different, some would be happy for a 12 month rolling contract others may not want to come for anything less the 3 years as it gives them some security,

When it comes to contracts you need to stop thinking as a fan and start thinking as an individual,

hypothetically speaking for example if you had a choice between a zero hours contract on a potential 30k a year (providing the work is there) in a industry that hasn't got any secure jobs  would you take it? or would you take a job on a fixed term contract for 29k a year but you'd have a bit of job security and if things went tits up you'd get redundancy, 

Archived