IGNORED

Lansdown backing Johnson / Ignorance? (Merged)

Olé

11 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

"It's now history and we move on"  We haven't moved on though have we? A year later we're are in almost the exact same place, and if anything are even worse off.  We were in shit state about this time last year and we sacked a manager  We' re now in the same fricking state but want to keep backing this one. 

I suspect that context doesn't even cause a flicker in your thought process?

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Football fans....gotta love em...they are the perfect scenario of the 'sing when you're winning bigade'. Support when it's good times and going well...but abuse when it's going tits up.

Would rather have the mentality and smaller support of 1982 when Terry Cooper was here. Different times, no money etc....but the hardcore stood firm.

It's a bit like having a mate, who only wants to know you when you lend him some money.

Thing is Spud, much as I appreciate your insights and perspective, this evening I feel taken for a mug by City. Back in 1982 we were on the ropes, the squad was thin but supporters rallied...and have rallied year after year to urge the team back into a position to return to the top flight. Surely that's what everyone cheering us on in Cotts time was supporting, a return to the Championship and move on from there. Back to where we last were the best part of 40 years ago. Folk travelled all over the country week after week. But today we're told that SL suggested at his breakfast it doesn't much matter if we go down because the fans will flock to see a winning side at the top of League One. Whilst that may be true that lacks all ambition, it's pitiful. As for asking fans to keep negative thoughts to themselves during matches...that performance on Wednesday was one of the poorest I can recall. Apathetic, lacklustre, supine...what football crowd anywhere in the world would fail to moan and groan at that?

In 1982 there were endless understandable excuses for City's position. I can see none at the moment.

4 hours ago, Marty said:

Possible scenario:

Behind the scene talks done already.

Johnson asks players to give their all against NUFC and it will be his last game.

Johnson already agreed with SL that he will resign after the match with some sort of severance package agreed.

SL comes out and does an interview, backs Johnson and states we are not in the business of sacking managers knowing he wont have to sack him.

Lee resigns which looks better that having "sacked" on his CV. SL saves face after appointing LJ, agreeing contract extension.

SL then looks to appoint Manager to keep us up.

Everybody happy.

And the Unicorn flew over the rainbow, serenaded by the cherubs.

6 hours ago, Olé said:

But no one is making him give an interview Dave? I don't see it the same way as others who think it's a cover. No cover required, fly to Newcastle and play the match. This looks to me like a "shut up he's not going" message, as it was six weeks ago or whenever it was.

Completely this-he is telling us Lee is staying,certainly for the rest of this season at any rate.

I think someone else has said on here recently they believe SL won't act until we are struggling in the bottem half of league one in a year or so from now.

How right you were.

This is for you  Mr Lansdown.

Your head of HR comes to you and says "A former employee of HL has applied for a job as a fund manager here.

He's currently doing great things after a very rocky start and we hear that a few other big companies are interested.

Although still relatively inexperienced should we give him a chance?

As SL knew the former employee and liked him a lot he replied "Yes,take him on and I'll see how he gets on.

The first few months of the job go really well and the clients of HL and particularly the new fund manager are extremely impressed.

As time goes on things are starting to look like they did at his former employers and the fund is beginning to lose a substantial amount of money.

Clients of the fund start losing patience and see their investments dwindling and quickly start moving money away from HL and into other safer funds.The fund keeps on losing money and eventually SL has to bite the bullet and admit that he took a massive gamble and relieves the fund manager of his duties to appease his clients.

This Mr Lansdown is exactly what you would at HL so why not at BCFC where the same thing is happening.

For the first time I'm questioning Lansdown. Was gutted when we appointed Johnson and have struggled with it since. But to mention the fans, who've kept frustrations under wraps during games (in the main) until Wednesday is disrespectful. 

This us will not go away. If by some miracle we stay up under Johnson, the feeling will remain somewhat toxic unless he went on a record breaking winning run. 

Lansdowns interview today is more than deflating. Feel incredibly low about the club and management currently. 

Don't see any hope. The feeling now to the league winning season under Cotterill is at different spectrums. The club was united, the players youthful, team spirit in abundance and a stadium underway. What a bloody waste. Only we could mess this up. To lose the momentum and feel good factor, which is incredibly difficult to build, is inexcusable. Lansdown very much accountable. 

3 hours ago, GJS said:

I think it will be 100 less fans max. Not sure how many who post on here and how may of them want him out.

You must be the biggest WUM ever. "Not sure how many who post one here and how ma[n]y of them want him out".

Well after Wednesday, I would suggest that it's over 90% of those on here want him out, and of those who don't post on here I have yet to find a single one who thinks LJ should stay.

You might have your own reasons why you want him to stay, but it can't be footballing ones, because every indicator suggests he is out is his depth and he is taking us back to League 1. 

And none of the real fans want that!

3 hours ago, Olé said:

The ultimate irony, after months of lip service about only losing by one goal, is that we're now prepared to go down using the same language for the season as a whole "but we were never cut adrift". Continual failure is treated as an aberration so long as it is narrow. 

For me at least, this aspect is the most painful of all; how many times have clubs changed manager after a losing by a cricket score?  It's not uncommon.  For us both Tinnion and McInnes got dumped after a big losses, and I remember Rowett arriving at Birmingham post-8-0 embarrassment at Bournemouth.

But there is an old and well worn adage; "Better lose one game five nil than five games one nil" which for all it's brevity rings true - it genuinely is better to take a beating, then brush yourselves down, and get after the points next time round.

Problem with losing narrowly is you fail to truly get to the heart of the problems; they aren't writ large, but less easy to identify.  But I think this is where LJ has shown is Achilles Heel to be; he cannot seem to leave well alone.

Someone on here identified that the teams that started the Fulham and Leeds wins back at the beginning of the season were the last unchanged starting line-ups for an age.  I think suspension or injury forced a change, but after that we didn't start the same team again for months.

Even after 45 minutes of excellent football at Derby, we changed the line up that had put us three nil up, and not even for another forward but a formation change.  It was sold as due to concerns over injury, but the brutal irony is another, much more damaging injury meant the rested player did a 60 min shift anyway - with more change then required to fit around this, and so it goes and so it goes.

It feels like death by a thousand cuts, and when SL says "nothing changed until we're gone" it is very hard not to question the logic when the damage is being done almost quietly, week after week.

21 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

You must be the biggest WUM ever. "Not sure how many who post one here and how ma[n]y of them want him out".

Well after Wednesday, I would suggest that it's over 90% of those on here want him out, and of those who don't post on here I have yet to find a single one who thinks LJ should stay.

You might have your own reasons why you want him to stay, but it can't be footballing ones, because every indicator suggests he is out is his depth and he is taking us back to League 1. 

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. 

So you are saying 90% of people on this forum want him out. I don't know how many people that would be? 

I actually know quite a few people who don't want to see him go. Many of them are real fans.

Does anyone know how many post on here? I completely agree 90% want him gone. Most are very negative.

36 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

It's like "Village Of The Damned" with some of these people! 

10 minutes ago, GJS said:

So you are saying 90% of people on this forum want him out. I don't know how many people that would be? 

I actually know quite a few people who don't want to see him go. Many of them are real fans.

Does anyone know how many post on here? I completely agree 90% want him gone. Most are very negative.

If you know a lot of people who are real fans who don't want LJ to go, you must move in completely different circles to me. I sit in the Lansdown and over the past 2 months, one by one they have all come to the conclusion that LJ has to go. I meet a different group of mates in the pub after a game. None of them thinks he should stay. And then I meet another set of season card holders at work, all of whom can't understand how he is still in charge.

If there really is still a groundswell of support for LJ from anyone other than SL & perhaps LJ's parents, I don't know where it exists, because I have yet to find it in the various parts of the city I move through.

The reality is that his record is woeful and if we want to stay in this division (perhaps even more questionable after SL's comments today but unfortunately no great surprise to me if you saw my thoughts about him yesterday) then LJ has to go and well before it's too late for anyone else to turn things around.

13 minutes ago, GJS said:

Take away all the emotion and anything personal towards LJ, simply looking at it from a football perspective,are you saying people who truly support the club want LJ to continue ? I am struggling to comprehend if that's true and if so why anyone would believe him staying is in the best interest of the club

1 hour ago, GJS said:

Ok I am willing to listen - what can you see in him in his time here that makes you want us to persevere this and I guess another season with him ?

Just now, GJS said:

He did well when he took over and the start of the season.

ok - but that success ended over 5 months ago, now he has his players, and they have been coached and drilled by him for longer (but results have gotten worse) what is it you see in him, surely it has to be more than he did well for a couple of months. 

I would say the first 50% of his BC  career was good and the most recent 50% has been horrific.

I like the fact SL is backing him. Managers these days don't get enough time to turn things around.

maybe I'm being blind but I do believe LJ has the makings of a good manager.

Unfortunatly he won't get to prove it here.

1 hour ago, GJS said:

I would say the first 50% of his BC  career was good and the most recent 50% has been horrific.

I like the fact SL is backing him. Managers these days don't get enough time to turn things around.

Fair enough.

I think he had a good 2 months (8 weeks) and a poor 5 months. The team he mostly inherited were getting results at first, his team currently (nearly all his signings) are not performing. Early in the season without much of his coaching, tactics and drills we were better - the longer we have been subjected to his tactics, coaching and drills the worst we get. Not one player has really improved under his coaching, hell a lot seem to have got worse. 

ScreenShot_20170224225804.png

I think the only reason he is still backing LJ is that he believes the clubs currently below us don't have what it takes to put a run together and we will pick up the points which will be enough to keep us up this season 

Past that I think he will look to appoint someone else in the summer and then give that person time to access the players and bring in who he needs 

1 hour ago, GJS said:

The makings? Care to elaborate? 

9 hours ago, Marty said:

Possible scenario:

Behind the scene talks done already.

Johnson asks players to give their all against NUFC and it will be his last game.

Johnson already agreed with SL that he will resign after the match with some sort of severance package agreed.

SL comes out and does an interview, backs Johnson and states we are not in the business of sacking managers knowing he wont have to sack him.

Lee resigns which looks better that having "sacked" on his CV. SL saves face after appointing LJ, agreeing contract extension.

SL then looks to appoint Manager to keep us up.

Everybody happy.

Everybody happy?

Never on OTIB.

Archived