IGNORED

Lansdown backing Johnson / Ignorance? (Merged)

Olé

Steve does appear deluded.

What does he want from the team / what does he expect in terms of performance??

I know he does not want us to lose a single game, BUT, it is like he does not care when he lose game after game after game!!

Lose at Newcastle? Fine - LJ is still brilliant ............

For a money man to be happy with a negative return on his investment in the team looks barking.

What the hell is going on?

:grr:

tfj

31 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I've said it before, I don't think SL understands the game of football, by which I mean tactics, organisation and game plan, not the running of a club in general. 

He genuinely seems to think we are hard done by and there are positives none of us can see. As a team we are dysfunctional and much less than the sum of our parts. We have a coach who - let's face it - talks ******* nonsense 90% of the time. 

However much money SL has, he's incompetent when it comes to making the right management decisions and acting when we are severely under performing. He doesn't understand WHY we're in this position. 

He's too emotionally involved to make a dispassionate decision for the good of the club. 

For me, LJ is an awful coach and has delusions of grandeur. He'll never make it imo. 

Don't disagree with this. Would also add unconvinced he- and especially those who have joined Bristol Sport- have much of a clue about fans and the like.

Definitely he doesn't understand properly the game of football I agree.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I just think he isn't going to come out and say he;s about to be sacked.  It's a positioned interview....I bet he'd rather not have gone in front of the camera.

He isn't stupid.

I do like the comment from poster above about being in the relegation positions might trigger contract clauses?

Agree . A totally positioned bland interview but that is what he has to do . You don't come out with the real plan in such an interview for sure . Irrespective tomorrow and Tuesday he has to go . It has been appalling since early season and the fans have been badly badly let down and patronised . Never felt so fed up in 35 years as a supporter . Players on Wednesday visibly not interested . 17000 on a wet night , the majority of which had every right to collectively  voice their anger . I don't buy this " best squad we have had , great signings ! Yes maybe individually good but totally disorganised and some think they are way better than they are . SC had a unit galvanised . 

3 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I agree, in fact I don't think there was any booing of the players, which tells you everything about where the fans feel the blame lies.

It was vey noticeable that after the game a handful of players made a point of walking to the corners of the ground to applaud where the boos had mainly come from.

Totally agree, I saw it as the players (the 6 who bothered to stay to appricate the fans) did this as a sign of understanding & agreement.

Those are the players I want in my team... Playing for my club.

Just now, Alan Dicks said:

The only way forward now is a no show. Even a win against Newcastle will not change the fans mind on Johnson.

No show until Johnson is gone i say, maybe a show of solidarity before the ko outside the players entrance with full press coverage?

A show outside but on inside the ground??? In the park maybe...?

3 minutes ago, Redstreet said:

Agree . A totally positioned bland interview but that is what he has to do . You don't come out with the real plan in such an interview for sure . Irrespective tomorrow and Tuesday he has to go . It has been appalling since early season and the fans have been badly badly let down and patronised . Never felt so fed up in 35 years as a supporter . Players on Wednesday visibly not interested . 17000 on a wet night , the majority of which had every right to collectively  voice their anger . I don't buy this " best squad we have had , great signings ! Yes maybe individually good but totally disorganised and some think they are way better than they are . SC had a unit galvanised . 

My bold: He did not need to do that interview.  That's the puzzling thing for me.  He's just poured petrol on a fire.  Not sure what he's playing at. 

I'm pleased SL is excited by the prospect of the next two big games; I really hope he enjoys them, because unless we find a gear that we've not used since October to kick into over the next 14 games, then matches against recent Premier League teams will be the stuff of dreams.

Honestly, I do applaud the desire to stand by his man, but I question the time of him finding this stoicism; I honestly feel a SC led side backed with the resources LJ has had would have kept us up last year, and so the baffling choice to hold firm when results and performances are in the toilet now doesn't suggest a decision based on hard evidence but pure faith.

I also applaud his belief that Villa is winnable, but I absolutely do not share that belief.  And what if we exit this week of three games with maybe only one or two points to our name?  Will that convince him that all the work, and all that he is wanting built is floundering?  Or will we need it all undone via relegation before his faith in LJ is exhausted?  I don't know; I really don't.

I guess I just hope he's right, and that he knows/sees something only he can that provides him with the certainly that stays his hand.  I fail to be convinced that sacking one member of a 'project' due to clear underperformance would undermine the whole endeavour, as that would suggest it isn't so much a project to improve the club, but to advance LJ, which surely cannot be true.

But talk of "we're not cut adrift"; we simply do not have the time remaining to escape if that does now happen.  

Last season Warnock took over at Rotherham with 16 game remaining, with them on 25 points after 30 games, two points from safety.  They then won six, drew six and lost four to stay up in 21st, nine points above 22nd.  I think we'll need as many points as they got (49) to stay up this year, and do we honestly think we will have a run like that as things stand?

I don't.

If by 17:00 next Saturday we stand on 11 games remaining with with fewer than 36 points, and LJ is still head coach, I honestly think we'll both be already inside the relegation zone, and I don't see us leaving it.

I just hope tomorrow we play with some pride; SL himself said he wants to see a good performance, well if we play like we did against Fulham we certainly won't get that, so here's to the players stepping up and at least saving us from a pasting.

2 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

Totally agree, I saw it as the players (the 6 who bothered to stay to appricate the fans) did this as a sign of understanding & agreement.

Those are the players I want in my team... Playing for my club.

Interesting who those players were as well...........Magnussen, Tomlin were 2 that stood out to me. 

1 minute ago, cityloyal473 said:

My bold: He did not need to do that interview.  That's the puzzling thing for me.  He's just poured petrol on a fire.  Not sure what he's playing at. 

This was my thinking. 

Well we know he can't come out and say he will sack him.

So what's the point in saying anything that fans won't agree with and just annoys them. 

I would rather he was quiet and then e.g after Newcastle sack him 

2 hours ago, Olé said:

The official video is the definition of delusional. Anyone who thinks it's just holding statements will be sadly disappointed. Seems convinced LJ is the man, it's the structure he wants at the club, and expects the results to come. Has a pop at supporters instead. Easy to say when you fly a private jet to games.

Haven't missed a league game home or away since November and I've had a gut-full. Imagining a City without SL was always taboo for me, we could be far far worse off, but interviews like this do make me wonder, I feel totally alienated by him and the club - we've held up our part of the bargain, gone to matches, supported the team. It isn't working and it hasn't been working for months, and the owner thinks we should carry on paying and travelling for this mess. He has not got a clue.

This. 

I've just seen today's video and it beggars belief. I don't see it as a holding statement at all, I see it as SL nailing his colours to the mast and supporting LJ come what may. All while simultaneously having a pop at the fans. 

Absolutely staggering. 

2 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

I never thought I would say this, especially as I will be driving 10hrs this weekend to watch BUT I hope Newcastle stuff us out of sight tomorrow now, if it means we get rid of Lee.

And I was told this sort of thing is never happens on OTIB. Who'd have thought? :facepalm:

SL has clarified his view about LJ and kiboshed all the hyperbole that has been spouted since Wednesdays game (but still continues unabated, with some jumping on every rumour with little to no thought, it's a little embarrassing really). I don't think it means LJ is safe, just that he continues for a few more games, after which another assessment is likely to take place - such is the way of life for someone who can probably analyse things without the emotion (with the associated blind thinking that comes with strong emotion).

Spud is one of the few commenters on here who can see what's happening at BCFC and see it for what it is :clap:

The moment LJ moves the team into the relegation zone, maybe we'll start seeing the support LJ has start to evaporate (and I'm not on about the posters on this forum who clearly want LJ gone - they probably don't even flicker in SL's thoughts).

As to the hyperbole? If it was the Gash, we'd be taking the piss. It's all rather ironic.

Onwards and upwards

2 hours ago, ChilternRed said:

As others have said, he can't just come out and say he will sack LJ, but the inference from his comments is that he is prepared to so.  I'm sure that behind the  scenes steps are being taken to appoint someone else....but my concern is why is it taking so long?

Lets hope it is taking a while because for once we are conducting some due diligence on potential replacements rather than making a panic appointment or another cheap punt on somebody under experienced.

14 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Perhaps to quell the speculation ahead of a very difficult match. Lee will be in charge for Newcastle. An attempt to get people to move on, although not a very successful one clearly.

I admire SL for sticking with LJ. I don't necessarily agree with him and wish he had some similar with Cotterill but I like when a chairman backs the manager. I just hope he gets rewarded for his faith otherwise he will be in for a lot of flak which is the gamble he's making.

49 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I have heard today from someone who knows someone who works at City that SL had a meeting with LJ yesterday and LJ said he was confident he could steer us clear of relegation. SL wasn't as confident and told LJ his position as manager was untenable. He has offered LJ the position of U23 manager and therefore isn't firing him. 

Apparently, there is a bit of a stand off as both parties assess the situation. But the employee at AG told my reliable source that SL used the word untenable in regards to LJ being the first team coach.

I am sorry if this news/rumour has been repeated elsewhere. I never make things up on here. I was told this happened yesterday by a reliable source. If this does not come to pass it doesn't mean it never happened!

He has not proven that he can coach at all - if so surely players would be improving - keep him away from the kids, they are doing well - why try mending something that is not broken.

48 minutes ago, Marty said:

Possible scenario:

Behind the scene talks done already.

Johnson asks players to give their all against NUFC and it will be his last game.

Johnson already agreed with SL that he will resign after the match with some sort of severance package agreed.

SL comes out and does an interview, backs Johnson and states we are not in the business of sacking managers knowing he wont have to sack him.

Lee resigns which looks better that having "sacked" on his CV. SL saves face after appointing LJ, agreeing contract extension.

SL then looks to appoint Manager to keep us up.

Everybody happy.

You were going so well until the red bit, SL and track record aint great.

1 minute ago, Marty said:

Picks name out of hat?

If MA has anything to do with it, it will only have his Oxfords mates name in; then we will be talking again about this but from the bottom of the 1st div next year.

49 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

If the clown is still in charge by the Burton game I would suggest that those of us wanting LJ gone should show Lansdown an empty seat instead ! If he doesn't want to hear Criticism then fine, let's see how a stadium with about 5000 people in it "shrinks" the players ! 

I bet there will be many more than 5000 fans if the ones who want him out from this forum don't turn up.

2 minutes ago, GJS said:

I bet there will be many more than 5000 fans if the ones who want him out from this forum don't turn up.

The garbage that's coming out at the moment they would probably put the drop on numbers down to bad weather

better off entering the groundnut staying in the concourse, 

22 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

What stood out to me was the passion that Joe B marched over to the singing section... really looked to be making a point to the fans.

Shame he didn't show some passion during the game. 

I couldn't care less whether they want to play for the manager, they should be playing for me, 20,000 other fans, the badge on the  shirt and Bristol City football club. The debacle of Wednesday evening was 100% down to the players on the pitch, and as I've said before, they should be hanging their heads in shame not trying to milk applause. 

8 minutes ago, B block said:

The garbage that's coming out at the moment they would probably put the drop on numbers down to bad weather

better off entering the groundnut staying in the concourse, 

I think it will be 100 less fans max. Not sure how many who post on here and how may of them want him out.

32 minutes ago, samo II said:

But talk of "we're not cut adrift"; we simply do not have the time remaining to escape if that does now happen.

And that's the miss by him, isn't it. You are no less relegated whether you finish in 24th having been rooted to the bottom all season, or slip into 22nd on goal difference on the last day. I understand he is trying to strike an upbeat tone, but his poorly chosen remark implies he would need more catastrophic warnings to take action, while failing to recognise that time itself is a variable here which will quickly offset any benefit of not yet being "cut adrift". 

It's not just the severity of the danger but the reaction time left to do anything about it. In any case, the clarity of the warning shouldn't dictate the size of the action - objective assessment of trends should. On current form, hell, on any form (as @Ian M so clearly showed in his post today about our overall yield this season against teams still to play) we are going down. There isn't any underlying positive trend either, even new players are getting worse.

Steve Lansdown has been an incredible benefactor but if he needs to see anymore of a catastrophe just to recognise that problems are long standing and deep rooted, he really has lost the plot. The ultimate irony, after months of lip service about only losing by one goal, is that we're now prepared to go down using the same language for the season as a whole "but we were never cut adrift". Continual failure is treated as an aberration so long as it is narrow. 

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Olé said:

And that's the miss by him, isn't it. You are no less relegated whether you finish in 24th having been rooted to the bottom all season, or slip into 22nd on goal difference on the last day. I understand he is trying to strike an upbeat tone, but his poorly chosen remark implies he would need more catastrophic warnings to take action, while failing to recognise that time itself is a variable here which will quickly offset any benefit of not yet being "cut adrift". 

It's not just the severity of the danger but the reaction time left to do anything about it. In any case, the clarity of the warning shouldn't dictate the size of the action - objective assessment of trends should. On current form, hell, on any form (as @Ian M so clearly showed in his post today about our overall yield this season against teams still to play) we are going down. There isn't any underlying positive trend either, even new players are getting worse.

Steve Lansdown has been an incredible benefactor but if he needs to see anymore of a catastrophe just to recognise that problems are long standing and deep rooted, he really has lost the plot. The ultimate irony, after months of lip service about only losing by one goal, is that we're now prepared to go down using the same language for the season as a whole "but we were never cut adrift". Continual failure is treated as an aberration so long as it is narrow. 

I've just gone back to check what got Cotts the sack in his last 14 games. 11 points. LJ has 8, how in anybody's imagination can that be the project working? :facepalm:

Archived