IGNORED

Engvall

BCFC OF SWEDEN

The thing that infuriates me most about this is, again, the constant flow of ******* bullshit we were fed about him from LJ and Ashton. 

A few quotes from memory

"A really great signing"

"We've got there first because Premiership clubs are looking at him"

"Huge coup"

"We have premier league coaches come to see us train and asking me who he is because he's impressed them"

**** off. 

All proved to be another sack of crap that the Johnson and Ashton partnership has served us. Up there with Bobby Reid being 'potentially worth £5m' then left in the u23s for 2 months. 

11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The thing that infuriates me most about this is, again, the constant flow of ******* bullshit we were fed about him from LJ and Ashton. 

A few quotes from memory

"A really great signing"

"Huge coup"

"We have premier league coaches come to see us train and asking me who he is because he's impressed them"

**** off. 

All proved to be another sack of crap that the Johnson and Ashton partnership has served us. Up there with Bobby Reid being 'potentially worth £5m' then left in the u23s for 2 months. 

Spot on fella, we could spend hours quoting the bollocks that has been spouted in the last 12 months.

Almost everything now is spin and PowerPoint- it is very sad really.

( edited for spelling)

15 minutes ago, petehinton said:

A few quotes from memory

"A really great signing"

"Huge coup"

**** off. 

Yep

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

A few quotes from memory

"A really great signing"

"Huge coup"

**** off. 

Don't forget Joe Bryan is a future Premier League LB - though he's not always chosen to play LB in a struggling Championship team.

5 hours ago, petehinton said:

A few quotes from memory

"A really great signing"

"Huge coup"

**** off. 

Premier League sides were looking at him, Stoke had him on trial and were close to signing him

On 12/03/2017 at 23:16, Red-Robbo said:

Indeed. But what we don't seem to know is if he was poached from us, or released and picked up by the Scousers.

On Des Taylor - Similarities with Ralph Milne going to Man Utd I reckon; we thought what are they doing and in short fashion so did they.

On 12/03/2017 at 23:30, samo II said:

So Djuric goes under the knife, and we immediately loan out one of our other four strikers, despite another one of them having literally just come back from injury, and one of them being 37.

Makes sense.

Although you could argue that he was nowhere near the first team; in fact there was really no argument at all.

22 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Premier League sides were looking at him, Stoke had him on trial and were close to signing him

Then Stoke woke up one morning and realised they were close to dropping a ball and instead dropped their interest in Engvall as did all other teams until little ole' Bristol City came along and frothed at the mouth under the illusion they would go under the radar and nab him. 

I have no doubt he is decent in Scandinavia; whole different ball game in England which makes MA and LJ's decision to bring him in look rather amateur. 

The only correct decision they have made is not to let him go permanently in the hope his value recovers a little following game time back home enabling them to offload him for a slightly less embarrassing £150k. No, that is still embarrassing; Best they do one of those non-disclosed deals.

I really cant believe that engvall can play for gothenburg, a big club in sweden, and get called up to their national team, and not have some quality. I think at this point most of us have come to the conclusion that lj has no idea what he is doing, and engvall might well be getting the brunt of that. Either way, the multi million pound fee, and lack of playing time is a joke.

2 minutes ago, simon uk said:

I really cant believe that engvall can play for gothenburg, a big club in sweden, and get called up to their national team, and not have some quality. I think at this point most of us have come to the conclusion that lj has no idea what he is doing, and engvall might well be getting the brunt of that. Either way, the multi million pound fee, and lack of playing time is a joke.

You suggest that 'most of us' have come to the same conclusion as you (how do you know that?), but I'm not sure whether that is the case. 

Not all players manage the transition to playing in another country.  It looks as though we signed Engvall in haste after losing Kodjia; that he has not adapted well to moving to the UK; that he has proved not ready for the first team; that the club has understandably wanted to put a positive spin on things, both to maintain his value and to encourage him; that the situation has got to the point where a move home, whether temporary or permanent, is the best thing for him.  I don't know who spotted him in the first place, but I suspect that we weren't ever 100% sure what we were getting.  It was a gamble that at the moment doesn't appear to have paid off.  You refer to a 'multi-million pound fee' which is a little misleading (although I suppose anything over £1M could be described as 'multi-million').  It was clearly a decent fee, but only a small fraction of what we got for Kodjia.  Please don't make it sound as though we paid £15M for him.

To sum up, we appear to have taken a flyer with Engvall and sometimes that pays off and sometimes it doesn't.  He's been given long enough to show some form, but the fact that he hasn't broken into the team can only suggest that he isn't considered ready to make an impact at Championship level.  You might say we shouldn't have signed him in the first place, and perhaps you would be right, but we did and he appears to have been given every chance to stake his claim for the first team.

To conclude from all this that 'LJ has no idea what he is doing' is, in my humble opinion, skewed and farcical.

Incidentally, I might have added that Man Utd re-signed Pogba after getting shot of him as a youngster and Chelsea are looking to do the same with Lukaku.  Both players were rated as teenagers, but then written off by the parent clubs for whatever reason, and have since proved their worth.  Even the big clubs get it wrong some time...

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

And didn't.

We weren't exactly in a bidding war for him. His default would've been a loan at Cheltenham and even that didn't happen. 

If he was really that wanted, we'd have had L1 and even L2 clubs lining up to take him on loan after seeing he isn't playing 

We still don't know whether he's crap, or not. Different players can develop at different times- Swedish League is a very low standard I get that. We still don't know though, he may well develop in years to come at a bigger club than us. Or he may end up bumping around Scandinavian Leagues just in a comfort zone and fading from view.

15 minutes ago, petehinton said:

And didn't.

We weren't exactly in a bidding war for him. His default would've been a loan at Cheltenham and even that didn't happen. 

If he was really that wanted, we'd have had L1 and even L2 clubs lining up to take him on loan after seeing he isn't playing 

I don't think he was every going to go on loan to a lower division club.  He was never that sort of signing.  Ok, you can do that with young players you have brought through yourself, but I can't recall any club from the top two divisions signing a foreign player who is near international level for his country, and then farming him out to the likes of Fleetwood Town.  The player does get some say in what they do, and I can't see Engvall wanting to do that.  If he was every going to go on loan, it was always likely to be back to Scandinavia.  League 1 and 2 club might well have been keen to take him on loan - how do you know that there weren't? - but obviously Goteborg believe in him.

He's only 20 for heaven's sake...

I think everyone wants to bash the establishment over the Engval transfer. But perhaps they should temper that by giving credit where's it's due, Rgds the Kodja deal. Which would also have been a gamble. We took a gamble on both, and are still quids in.

It is also unsure as to whether Engval will be back or not. Lots of guesswork going on here. So perhaps we are writing him of prematurely. 

In terms of transfer fees, I notice we are in the bottom half of the expenditure table. Also out of the all the lower spending clubs (of which we are one) only about five have spent a lot less than us! 

Retweet@bcfctweetsLJ: "Gustav Engvall's chances of going out on loan has been affected by injuries to Tammy and Milan." BRCvHUD
Retweet@bcfctweetsLJ: "I feel sorry for Gustav. Ideally he would have got an English loan club." BRCvHUD
Retweet@bcfctweetsLJ: "Gustav will be brought back from Sweden because we need him with Milan out injured." BRCvHUD

2 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

Hopefully injuries will force LJ into using him and he becomes our saviour for the season and kicks on from there 

Such wishful thinking... I share the sentiment with you but I can't see LJ bothering to put him on the bench Friday night!

Archived