IGNORED

Lansdown the real story

Citychuds

8 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I have run a multi million pound company and in my professional opinicommitment man is a fool, although I gr ant you a rich fool. Money never equates automatically with common sense let alone good manners 

Like I said, be careful what you all wish for. I think you're lucky he hasn't said **** this for a game of soldiers and walked away. Says something about his long term commitment.

1 minute ago, TRL said:

Well you can look at tchelsea and Man City. Abramovich uses the club to invest in the UK and make money

Man City the Middle Eastern Owners use the club to invest in the the UK and make money

then you look ant the next 3 and the they have bought into brands in terms of Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal, where the finance is still made available, but the hooks into the clubs are making shed loads of money through the owners other businesses.  It is quit clear the model works. 

Leicester is an anomaly, but I have to say they seem to be taking off in Thailand after Liverpool,then Man U, if they can develop it could be interesting to see, if they break out of Thailand they could grow massively.

I was referring to the new breed. All of those you listed have been in situ for some time. They were there for the long haul.

39 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Checks and balances are a two way thing.

But not equally weighted when an owner has 97% of a company.  He sets the agenda and guidelines and the board run the business. If they thought he was in error, I'm sure they would discuss issues with him.  

Just now, 1953 said:

I was referring to the new breed. All of those you listed have been in situ for some time. They were there for the long haul.

they are all there for the same reason, to get hooks in to the lucrative English league which has SKY sports.

there is no new breed, the business model is the same., it just the influx is makes the the high profits harder so come by as more and more clubs are in the mix

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

Facts are stubborn things! You are looking for fault where there is none.  We are very lucky to have someone of his wealth and calibre choosing to invest in our club to built it for the future and for our further enjoyment. It will take time - enjoy the ride, and the ups and downs!

So what % of his wealth has SL spent on the club compared with yours or mine . Spending power is all relative  and the sacrifices fans make to pay for season tickets etc vastly outweighs those that Steve has to make to invest in the club. I guarantee you he never has to choose between a season ticket and a holiday etc . I'm not criticising his wealth or investment in the club but he should seriously avoid comparing himself to the fans. 

Just now, Baldyman said:

So what % of his wealth has SL spent on the club compared with yours or mine . Spending power is all relative  and the sacrifices fans make to pay for season tickets etc vastly outweighs those that Steve has to make to invest in the club. I guarantee you he never has to choose between a season ticket and a holiday etc . I'm not criticising his wealth or investment in the club but he should seriously avoid comparing himself to the fans. 

I would guess with some basic maths he has spent loads more.  say average salary is about 25k, season ticket say 400. so average fan spends about 1.7%  if someone  pays every home game at say 30 a ticket that is about 2.7%

now may be look at 60 pound a game per person away from home travel and ticket for every game that works out at about 5.5%

so if you go every game including home travel i reckon you are in about the 8% of income bracket.  Steve sits about 10% without Travel, clearly have to calculate based on interest   tax breaks, but you have to assume travel cost are huge, all in all I reckon the outlay is going to be quite similar in terms of outlay as a percentage.  

Who knows :laugh:

I have no gripe with what he puts in to be honest, I do have a gripe with what he is doing with the club

19 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I can see the "widows mite" argument - but the cold hard fact is that he puts in £millions and we invest (as customers of the company!) hundreds.  He also uses his experience and knowledge to benefit the club that we support. We are lucky to have such a wonderful owner, who is intent on taking the club, in a sustainable manner, to the premiership. No point in warring against the chap, just enjoy the ride and support the club. We can do more in concert that by bickering amongst ourselves and someone has to be the leader..... that person is SL.

The very "real story" to come out of today's interview is that Bristol City Football Club may as well drop the "Club" bit, as we now know from the owner's mouth that it'll be his way or the highway from now on.

As grotesque as the interview was, at least he finally came clean on how little regard he has for the peasants that support this football club and admitted what a charade "the board" is as he and he alone will make the big decision on when our hopeless little boy of a manager will eventually depart.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

What does this even mean?!

As fans why should we give a shit what is happening behind the scenes and how can this possibly justify LJs position at the club when results and performances on the pitch have been so so so poor?!

Sounds to me like SL just likes having his puppets on his strings!

The point of my post was that I've heard how arrogant and dictatorial SL is on this forum based on this interview. I agree LJs position is untenable but that doesn't mean people need to make up what the man said and the context he said it in. 

As for your comments about caring about what goes on behind the scenes i personally do because I know Portsmouth fans and I know Wimbledon fans. The coach is wrong but the behind the scenes setup is there to try to protect the club long term, will it work? In business no one knows but chances are it's better than the win or bust approach of other clubs.

As for puppets on a string I personally don't think a man who has made money from money would chuck it away based on just wanting to be the boss man. 

30 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

You are right but as has been said before there is a difference between a misguided comment that I don't believe had any bad intention and a completely arrogant pre scripted go screw yourselves comment. We all say things that come out wrong and I believe this was one of them

1 hour ago, Citychuds said:

You are right but as has been said before there is a difference between a misguided comment that I don't believe had any bad intention and a completely arrogant pre scripted go screw yourselves comment. We all say things that come out wrong and I believe this was one of them

If so, there should be an apology forthcoming, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Think people are going way over the top about the interview and even inventing things he said and ways he said things.

I'm looking forward to someone posting the full transcript on here. Then we can all have a good look at exactly what was said. The main word I was thinking of when listening to it was "delusional". He's clearly not in a very good place.

Just now, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

If so, there should be an apology forthcoming, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

I think you are right there probably should be, much the same as some of the personal discusting comments that have been aimed at members of the club past and present should be apologised for. Problem is fans think they have the right to pee'd off and say what they want and yet members of the club aren't allowed to make mistakes.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm looking forward to someone posting the full transcript on here. Then we can all have a good look at exactly what was said. The main word I was thinking of when listening to it was "delusional". He's clearly not in a very good place.

A transcript is all well and good but it doesn't give tones of voice which is a crucial part of it.  

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Part of me thinks he is deluded, but actually I took from that interview that he had seriously considered sacking LJ and that luck has kept him in a job. We have some unexpected results at crucial times that have just tipped the balance. SL isn't going to come out and say Ive been close to sacking the manager and I still am. Yes he wants it to work but had we not got unexpected results at Derby, Newcastle and against Huddersfield and today at home I think the balance may have been tipped. Had we not had Mark Ashton to deal with the transfer window (meaning a change of manager wasn't seen as crucial in January) and been stuffed at Derby I do wonder if LJ would still be in the job. 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

I have run a multi million pound company and in my professional opinion the man is a fool, although I grant you a rich fool. Money never equates automatically with common sense let alone good manners 

It obviously didn't improve your manners!

Perhaps a train journey and alcohol has mellowed me out, but I've got to say, that was all a bit of an anti-climax. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

I do agree with Will, with respect to Lee Johnson he does sound delusional, but I don't think he made any real commitments to Johnson that aren't reversible, nor said anything of real substance or controversy. He's just protecting the status quo. He's not a good speaker (and doubt would claim to be) and some of his remarks are unguarded and rather clumsy spin, but I can see what he is trying to do and nothing surprised me. The spending comment in context wasn't at all as bad as I'd expected, I think it was a provoked petulant response to a Twentyman question rather than a pre-meditated slight. He wouldn't be so stupid.

For me the weakest comments were in relation to Pemberton / McAllister, but that's partly having seen the interview with McAllister himself, which exposed what a joke that whole charade was. Otherwise, as others have said, real credit to Twentyman, was better sports journalism than I've seen from any local media in my lifetime. Totally on the ball with all the questions that needed to be asked and didn't allow any easy deflections. Whether you like Lansdown or not, any manager would kill for an owner who puts money in and can stand up and field 30 minutes of questions simply to defend them. LJ is a very very lucky boy.

I just sincerely hope he is doing so for the right reasons - the well being of the club - and not the wrong reasons - the well being of his chain of command and access to footballing matters through the incumbent. The most important message for me was about Johnson if we stay up - and I DIDN'T hear a conviction in the remark about him remaining manager. He's always going to endorse the status quo - again, it didn't sound to me like a formal strategy or guarantee at all.

The dictatorship hysteria is getting a bit out of hand. Of course it was different in a successful season.

Personally I'm struggling to see much difference between now and the  - presumably - golden thirty years when Harry Dolman controlled the club, did what he wanted, built a new stand and allowed people to name it after him. Or was he guided by a committee of democratically elected Eastenders?

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

The dictatorship hysteria is getting a bit out of hand. Of course it was different in a successful season.

Personally I'm struggling to see much difference between now and the  - presumably - golden thirty years when Harry Dolman controlled the club, did what he wanted, built a new stand and allowed people to name it after him. Or was he guided by a committee of democratically elected Eastenders?

We want bowls in The Lansdown stand.

22 minutes ago, Olé said:

Perhaps a train journey and alcohol has mellowed me out, but I've got to say, that was all a bit of an anti-climax. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

I do agree with Will, with respect to Lee Johnson he does sound delusional, but I don't think he made any real commitments to Johnson that aren't reversible, nor said anything of real substance or controversy. He's just protecting the status quo. He's not a good speaker (and doubt would claim to be) and some of his remarks are unguarded and rather clumsy spin, but I can see what he is trying to do and nothing surprised me. The spending comment in context wasn't at all as bad as I'd expected, I think it was a provoked petulant response to a Twentyman question rather than a pre-meditated slight. He wouldn't be so stupid.

For me the weakest comments were in relation to Pemberton / McAllister, but that's partly having seen the interview with McAllister himself, which exposed what a joke that whole charade was. Otherwise, as others have said, real credit to Twentyman, was better sports journalism than I've seen from any local media in my lifetime. Totally on the ball with all the questions that needed to be asked and didn't allow any easy deflections. Whether you like Lansdown or not, any manager would kill for an owner who puts money in and can stand up and field 30 minutes of questions simply to defend them. LJ is a very very lucky boy.

I just sincerely hope he is doing so for the right reasons - the well being of the club - and not the wrong reasons - the well being of his chain of command and access to footballing matters through the incumbent. The most important message for me was about Johnson if we stay up - and I DIDN'T hear a conviction in the remark about him remaining manager. He's always going to endorse the status quo - again, it didn't sound to me like a formal strategy or guarantee at all.

You put my views better than me.

In terms of supporting LJ, what else could he say? He is right now the manager, and he has to therefore back him (whatever his private views may or may not be).

I think Twentyman put him under the cosh a bit pretty much saying 'you own the club, you need to take responsibility', and when he does, it all sounds a little 'well it's my club I will do what I want', which I do not think is what he quite meant.

Good questions for sure. I suspect he is backing the wrong man, but equally no doubt in my mind the easy thing to do was to sack him, and by not doing so has turned some of the spotlight on to himself. 

13 minutes ago, Leveller said:

We didn't have social media back in HD's time!

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I have run a multi million pound company and in my professional opinion the man is a fool, although I grant you a rich fool. Money never equates automatically with common sense let alone good manners 

If money doesn't equate to common sense then how does you running a multi-million pound company give any more weight to your "professional opinion"?

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Think people are going way over the top about the interview and even inventing things he said and ways he said things.

On OTIB - surely not?! 

:whistle:

I've just listened and was expecting something akin to a coked up Jeremy Paxman giving a quivering Jeremy Corbyn a nervous break down.

It was not like that.

re: the money comment, it was preceded by Geoff stating "the fans pay a lot of their hard earned money on City".  So Lansdown really just countered it, I think what he meant to say was "So do I!".  He stated he was as frustrated as us, and that he's always had time for us.  I've personally chatted with him and he did not strike me as at all condescending or snobby.

He seemed to me during that interview fairly relaxed and confident in his long term strategy, which was reassuring.  He seemed that his position isn't fixed on LJ, but will be open to change as and when.

He stated supporters can not possibly know the internal workings of the club, very true.  (Supporters can only speculate).

He stated it was not easy for him to come live on air but was happy to do it.

There also seemed to be a genuine respect between himself and Twentyman.

I'm not liking the look of Bristol Sport, I don't like the corporate feel of the 'club', I would have sacked LJ before Christmas and I am highly suspicious of nepotism and too much of his interference with the actual football.  In sum, I have many hang ups with his tenure of BCFC.

However, he's being made out by some to be some aspiring facist and brutal dictator with no care for his charge or the people.  I simply do not see it.  

The entire situation is more complex that any level of scapegoating will resolve.  For example, we are in approximately our average historic position on the football ladder.  The millions spent is still only relative to the times and division.

Another thing, as Lansdown allured I think, was that if we were up the other end of the table then all this internet 'noise' would not be there.  We are ALL frustrated, annoyed and angry with results.  

And finally, for somebody who is apparently so arrogant and ego-centric, him inviting people to aim their criticism solely at him isn't half self-sacrificing.  If there was a greater democracy at the top, the blame for the current failings would be shared (yes, I know he has manufactured the power situation, but if I were to invest his level of % over a 20 odd year period, I would not want to have to compromise with the decision making either).  

6 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Factually SL pays the bills and the board are resonsible for the running of the business - as owner he will set guidelines.

He is totally realistic - to the extent that he will foot the bill if he bogs up!  And he does invest an awful lot more than the fans -FACT!

He has a plan that he believes will lead to the club being both sustainable and successful and he intends to follow his well thought out plan - nothing wrong with that!

I thought that the interviews with SL and post match on the radio with LJ showed that our club is in very good hands and I feel very confident that we have exciting times ahead. The match was also very enjoyable today!

6 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Facts are stubborn things! You are looking for fault where there is none.  We are very lucky to have someone of his wealth and calibre choosing to invest in our club to built it for the future and for our further enjoyment. It will take time - enjoy the ride, and the ups and downs!

It's sheep we're up against...

People will always find negative things to pick at, but by the same token you will also always get people who take positives from it.

As I was sat in traffic listening to it I must say at the time these words didn't come across badly, but when you see it in written form it looks worse than it actually was. 

I think what I took from it was he has decided to take the club in a different direction and everyone at the club has brought into that. He believes LJ is the right guy to take this club in this direction and pointed out he is a lot more knowledgeable about what goes on at the club than you or I.

We only see what happens in a match however SL has unlimited access behind the scenes and clearly he likes what LJ is doing and has put his neck on the line and said I believe in this direction in the long term and if it doesn't work out and I am wrong I will take full responsibility. Can't see s problem with that. 

Generally in life successful people are the ones who have an idea and then have the conviction to follow that idea through even through the difficult times. This is what SL is now doing. 

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If money doesn't equate to common sense then how does you running a multi-million pound company give any more weight to your "professional opinion"?

I was referring to his personal acquisition of money that led to his tax exile 

I was CEO of a quite different sort of company, outside of the business sector, and was paid in tens of thousands, like many on here, and not in millions. 

I am entitled to express my professional opinion, and I stand by what I said the man is a fool. Why? In attempting to run BS, and BCFC, as though we were all living in a 1950s world.  And then not running it successfully anyway.  A puppet Board for BCFC, appalling appointment procedures, no care for the fans (in his speak 'customers'), a total lack of transparency (e.g. Over the most odd arrangement with Rovers), attempting to found a dynasty with his son,  etc etc

10 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

While at the moment I'm a little pissed off with 'the almighty Steve' we could do a lot worse. Take a few minutes to look at what's happening at Orient. For every Leicester there are two Cardiff's. 
For all his faults he does things with good intensions, he get a lot wrong but means well. He has dropped an almighty bollock with the wee man but he is still happy to throw money at our club, and I mean that. It is our club, when he has moved on fans will still be there, the support was brilliant today and I hope he realises that, it is in spite of what is going on , the club is what we love not the manager or owner.

Cardiff have been to an FA cup final, played in the Premier League and are in mid table not struggling to stay in this division.

I would swap places with Cardiff 

Archived