IGNORED

Q and A tonight

Phileas Fogg

Ye of little faith. You've been following City far to long and your anti-establishment cynical views are clouding your judgement of the revolution in the making. You wanted a revolution, well it's here ! There have been coughs and splutters and there will be a few more, but surely you can see somethings happening ? 

9 hours ago, oldrosie said:

"within his scouting software  look at all the players around the world"  "he couldn't sleep last season" "trusts current squad with his life."  "attacked in his car by people trying to flip it"  "the city, attractions etc which is immense"  prem clubs trying to sign Eliasson but we got there first"  "Baker was signed to preempt us selling Flint last minute and ******* us up" "financially on a deal to replace him"  "Jamie Mac was huge in him getting called up to the England u20s for 'basically harrassing the FA telling people how good he is'. "  what a load of pretentious crap!

Just like 100% of your posts then my gashead friend

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Whilst I was impressed that the club are going to these lengths I felt the video was somewhat lacking in quality. It's a very good idea but seemed it was made by a student. Far too much emphasis on effects rather than on the contents which I felt was lacking.  

I just don't think it really sold the club and the City as well as it should have.

The Culture,  the history and the vibrancy of this great City wasn't captured Imo.  

Many players who have played for us have ended up remaining in Bristol and raised their families here, when people move to Bristol they rarely move out. I think it would have been a good idea to have these players in the video.

I just don't think we beat our own drum as hard as we could have done.

I haven't seen the video but have heard about it, not just from someone who has seen it last night either. You got to remember that most people wouldn't want to sit through a half hour documentary on a City they are only passingly interested in, 10 or 15 minutes is plenty. Also if I was an incoming player would I really trust a club trying to sell itself to me filling up the 15 minutes with current or past players telling me how wonderful it is, no I would want to see more of the actual city and the club and decide for myself.

Talking about this, and I don't think this was embargoed, but I was impressed to hear that a few players do their homework on us before joining. They watch our performances on video and see where they would fit in to our style of play. I've never really considered that they interview us as much as we do them before.

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

It was said that we are operating a budget 30-60 % less than the teams around us. We cannot compete compete financially in this league was the theme so we have to be creative and find other ways to get the edge on other teams.

With respect, if that is true, then we are doing something seriously wrong. We are in the top 10 highest average attendances in the division and have some of the best corporate facilities which are full every week. We have one of, if not the, wealthiest owner in the division.

"Teams around us" is likely to consist of the likes of Burton, Bolton, Millwall, QPR, Ipswich, Barnsley, Preston and Brentford. There is no way on earth I'm buying that our budget is less than theirs, let alone 30-60% less. Our budget is competitive in this division; if it isn't, then we will be relegated in time.

It sounds like the 'big sell' last night was recruitment and that MA/LJ did a good job of explaining what a good job we are doing in this area. The use of stats then watching players all sounds promising and it sounds like it's loosely based on the model that Les Reed implemented at Southampton (the black box). However, the majority of clubs at our level and beyond now heavily rely on stats when scouting players so what we are doing is nothing revolutionary.

I suppose the elephant in the room last night (and I don't know if anyone was brave enough to ask) was that yes ok, recruitment is going well....so why aren't we seeing results on the pitch? LJ has the technology and competence to spot weaknesses in players (Eliasson, a winger's weakness is defence - who'd have thought!) so why aren't we seeing players coming on leaps and bounds and improving? Which players that LJ has signed have improved?  That is ultimately HIS job and frankly I'm surprised to hear that he talked last night for so long on recruitment as I thought the burden of this had largely been taken away from the 'Head Coach' role, who's job it is to concentrate on getting the best out of the players at his disposal - that is what we desperately need right now.

7 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Gloryhunter !!

:) 

Believe me i could have a season ticket at the Emirates if I wanted. £1,400. I probably spend that travelling to every home game and a season ticket. At least the locals can head to the pub, sink a few after a defeat and get home easily. Try travelling after a defeat and getting home at 9/10pm. It makes it a lot worse. Probably why I'm such a cynic. The city bug bit me as a 6 year old and I could never turn my back. It hurts me that we haven't made the premier league. One of only 4 clubs in the current Champ. 

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Hi Kid

Just to clarify a couple of bits 

With respect, if that is true, then we are doing something seriously wrong. We are in the top 10 highest average attendances in the division and have some of the best corporate facilities which are full every week. We have one of, if not the, wealthiest owner in the division.

"Teams around us" is likely to consist of the likes of Burton, Bolton, Millwall, QPR, Ipswich, Barnsley, Preston and Brentford. There is no way on earth I'm buying that our budget is less than theirs, let alone 30-60% less. Our budget is competitive in this division; if it isn't, then we will be relegated in time.

tbf Kid IIRC it was said we are Less in respect of 16/17 Clubs in this division

Both MA and LJ mentioned several times the ridiculous money being thrown around atm and it was intimated that it was wages that were more of the issue than transfer fees

It sounds like the 'big sell' last night was recruitment and that MA/LJ did a good job of explaining what a good job we are doing in this area. The use of stats then watching players all sounds promising and it sounds like it's loosely based on the model that Les Reed implemented at Southampton (the black box). However, the majority of clubs at our level and beyond now heavily rely on stats when scouting players so what we are doing is nothing revolutionary.

Totally agree and this was asked / pointed out but it was claimed that other Clubs arn't (Have to say I thought this was nonsense - it was later said that they do some but not in the way we do / using the data and analysis tools / software we do...........don't shoot the messenger !  :laughcont:)

I thought LJ to a lesser degree and particularly MA were , maybe understandably , slightly prickly about questioning of recruitment and are probably aware of some fan views / concerns 

I suppose the elephant in the room last night (and I don't know if anyone was brave enough to ask) was that yes ok, recruitment is going well....so why aren't we seeing results on the pitch? LJ has the technology and competence to spot weaknesses in players (Eliasson, a winger's weakness is defence - who'd have thought!) so why aren't we seeing players coming on leaps and bounds and improving? Which players that LJ has signed have improved?  That is ultimately HIS job and frankly I'm surprised to hear that he talked last night for so long on recruitment as I thought the burden of this had largely been taken away from the 'Head Coach' role, who's job it is to concentrate on getting the best out of the players at his disposal - that is what we desperately need right now.

Unfortunately not - there was only time for five or six questions

Sounds like a really good evening and fair play to the management team for fronting up. I'm gutted that I've somehow managed to overlook that it was happening but will definitely go to the next one if I realise it's on! Meanwhile thanks to all the folks on here that have taken the time to report back, much appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

tbf Kid IIRC it was said we are Less in respect of 16/17 Clubs in this division

Both MA and LJ mentioned several times the ridiculous money being thrown around atm and it was intimated that it was wages that were more of the issue than transfer fees

16/17 you say?! What a coincidence given last season's final league position! :whistle:

The intimation there being that we finished where our budget puts us, effectively.

Less budget than 16/17 clubs in the division still surprises me if I'm honest. Maybe there is a lag due to the West Stand only being open for its second year. Surely we must be able to compete with the middle of this division now - if we aren't, especially in terms of wages, then can only assume that is our choice not to pay top dollar. Also doesn't help when you have a very large squad.

Unfortunately not - there was only time for five or six questions

Blimey - it does sound like last night was more of a presentation than a proper Q & A session like we've had in the past with G Johnson, McInnes, SOD and SC. I recall the questions from fans part of the evening going on for a good 45 mins with the latter two.

I've been critical of the club not buying proven Championship players and am grateful they are able to gamble in the lower end of the market albeit still spending a few quid as otherwise it might be a different story at Ashton Gate . 

I admire the philosophy they've all bought into and the direction they're trying to take . It will be a marathon not a sprint. When other clubs that have chased the dream and dropped by the wayside our club will be in a fantastic position 

9 hours ago, Ian M said:

Note there was lots of time lapse videos of shopping centres, roads and railway stations and they stated the population in a caption, all attempts to show Bristol as being a modern bustling City rather than its reputation around the country of being a small collection of straw chewers.

I like chewing straw :P

34 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

16/17 you say?! What a coincidence given last season's final league position! :whistle:

The intimation there being that we finished where our budget puts us, effectively.

Less budget than 16/17 clubs in the division still surprises me if I'm honest. Maybe there is a lag due to the West Stand only being open for its second year. Surely we must be able to compete with the middle of this division now - if we aren't, especially in terms of wages, then can only assume that is our choice not to pay top dollar. Also doesn't help when you have a very large squad.

Blimey - it does sound like last night was more of a presentation than a proper Q & A session like we've had in the past with G Johnson, McInnes, SOD and SC. I recall the questions from fans part of the evening going on for a good 45 mins with the latter two.

It really wasn't a presentation! They used a few slides and the recruitment video. The other was answering questions and discussions that flowed from that.

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think we could pay more wages if we reduced our spend on fees but they have committed to attempting to buy promising younger players for higher fees but lower wages in the assertion that this will provide better value. I got the impression they are happy to be seen by young footballers as a stepping stone as if they do well here they hopefully drag us with them.

Last night started straight with questions and the discussion was fan led. They had brought along a few supporting presentations in case questions supported it but I dont think they used them all as we skipped past a couple to get to one LJ wanted to show about Eliasson/Knockaert/Paterson. They answered questions for about 1hour 45mins and then after they hung around to answer questions one to one.

3 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

It really wasn't a presentation! They used a few slides and the recruitment video. The other was answering questions and discussions that flowed from that.

Sounds like there were a fair few OTIB'ers in one room.

Maybe some of you, who have interacted on here before, sat next to each other oblivious to the fact that you 'rubbished' their post and told them to 'Go and support the gas!!" :P

I sometimes wonder at AG which forum members I have sat next to or walked past in the concourse.. I digress

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

we don't get 90 million in parachute payments

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Would be interesting to know which clubs they mean.. I would like to think we are aiming for the same sort of bracket as Leeds, Cardiff, Reading, Forest, Fulham in terms of spend and wages. 

A few of those have/have had parachute payments in the past of course.

LJ has referenced Fulham a few times.

Those sort of teams would generally hope to be around the top 10 to the playoffs. I'd like to think our target is similar

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Whilst I was impressed that the club are going to these lengths I felt the video was somewhat lacking in quality. It's a very good idea but seemed it was made by a student. Far too much emphasis on effects rather than on the contents which I felt was lacking.  

I just don't think it really sold the club and the City as well as it should have.

The Culture,  the history and the vibrancy of this great City wasn't captured Imo.  

Many players who have played for us have ended up remaining in Bristol and raised their families here, when people move to Bristol they rarely move out. I think it would have been a good idea to have these players in the video.

I just don't think we beat our own drum as hard as we could have done.

Players perhaps...some players anyway,

On the flipside, I grew up here, went to school here, and so on. Many people I knew from school have upped sticks to elsewhere and show little sign of returning, so maybe it depends? Seldom even come back at other times either. Perhaps Bristol isn't always the big draw? That said plenty of people from elsewhere I've taken down here for weekends and that think is excellent! Personally, I think it's one of the best cities in the UK in many ways.

Reading the thread, little surprised- always had Paterson down as a potential number 10 but if he's best on the left then that's where he should play I guess.

@Up The City! Interested to note about budget. Not vastly surprised though as we have a midtable attendance, lots of clubs at this level have corporate facilities too and have had them for longer. Which makes a difference- 16th or 17th surprises me but I would have thought our budget is somewhere around midtable.

@Kid in the Riot As I thought, we are 14th so far in average attendances. Midtable. Don't understand where you get top 10 from.

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2017-2018/1/

• Admin
12 hours ago, MT1970 said:

I went and was very very surprised by how few fans could be bothered to go.

I'll let someone else summarise the topics as if you can't be bothered to go, I can't be bothered to tell you :-)

Yeah because we all close enough or have the time to attend don't we  @MT1970!!

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Would be interesting to know which clubs they mean.. I would like to think we are aiming for the same sort of bracket as Leeds, Cardiff, Reading, Forest, Fulham in terms of spend and wages. 

Those sort of teams would generally hope to be around the top 10 to the playoffs. I'd like to think our target is similar

I think Ashton over-egged that comment a bit by saying 16 or 17 teams but he mentioned 8 clubs are on parachute payments & several have foreign owners who are spending irresponsibly citing Wolves & Birmingham who "finished around us" last season, Wolves spending £18m on a holding midfielder. LJ said during this discussion that the way we compete against this is by fielding a team of busy bees who are confident to take the ball, confident to use the ball and good at getting the ball back.

I'd estimate that you can take those 8 clubs on parachute payments (if that's right, I haven't checked yet), add 2 or 3 on significantly higher attendances (Derby, Leeds, Wednesday?) and a couple under foreign owners gambling on promotion (Wolves, Birmingham?) and you find our place at the table. Somewhere around 12th/13th on budget.

The point was raised from the floor that to succeed in this scenario, you either have to be exceptional at coaching or exceptional at recruitment which I think was fair. I also think the jury is out at best on both these fronts but I think the club is right to buy younger players that could become the better players we cant yet afford,

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

thats my feelings and our budget can't compete with most of the ex prem clubs or big clubs like leeds due to the amount of media coverage they get compared to us, We are a very small fish in this pond unlike league one and it's going to take many years to get to a level playing field with them which is why we are doing the things and putting the processes in place that we have,

21 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No, we don't - though the solution to that would of course be: to get promoted!

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Kid in the Riot As I thought, we are 14th so far in average attendances. Midtable. Don't understand where you get top 10 from.

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2017-2018/1/

I get it from last season @Mr Popodopolous . I had no idea where we were this season after 5 games. Last season we had the 11th highest average attendance in the division. This season could of course be down on that given last season's performance/what happens this season.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I get it from last season @Mr Popodopolous . I had no idea where we were this season after 5 games. Last season we had the 11th highest average attendance in the division. This season could of course be down on that given last season's performance/what happens this season.

Fair point. Maybe it will push on- still think our average will be somewhere round the middle but that of course may well be down to on the pitch performances. 11th last year.

Anyway it's not all about attendances- hopefully we will push on this year to top half on the pitch, regardless of average attendances.

11 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Can I just check, that all those who come on here, spouting off about how "disengaged" they feel and those who claim the club treat us with "contempt" by not being more open with supporters, all turned up and embraced this opportunity..?

No offence, but you write that as it everyone can get to the ground

I live over 100 miles away, and that is before taking into account the location I am working that day. To put such a flippant comment is a bit insulting to your fellow supporters

What I am gauging from this thread is that there was not enough time to ask some questions as they had been shown a presentation etc?

I thought the evening was a Q&A event? Not for staff in attendance to lead the floor with pre-prepared videos etc?

3 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I live over 100 miles away, and that is before taking into account the location I am working that day. To put such a flippant comment is a bit insulting to your fellow supporters

What I am gauging from this thread is that there was not enough time to ask some questions as they had been shown a presentation etc?

I thought the evening was a Q&A event? Not for staff in attendance to lead the floor with pre-prepared videos etc?

Sounds like the answers and discussion was quite detailed. Perhaps by design, but then again LJ is pretty good for being open.

Really, we'd need 4 or 5 hours to cover everything people want to know.

12 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Trust me, our management team mean business. 

They may mean business, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating,  let's just see what happens on the pitch this season,  before we make profound statements like this. 

8 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Unless you were at the night you don't quite get why they showed a video ...as it was part of an answer to a question asked by a fan 

11 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The donkey business of defending should be supplied by less skilled people.

Like that donkey Bobby Moore who played for England?

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Was one of five we had listed when JK left 

Had been injured for 5/6 weeks when he came to us (Said they'd learnt lessons about signing injured players - said we'd made that mistake a couple of times) , and struggled to get up to speed 

ISaid he lost a bit of confidence and interestingly indicated that the rest of the players lost confidence belief in Gustav

Said statistically Gustav has gone from 24th (IIRC) best striker in Sweden compared to No 1 with his recent spells back on loan and said that this indicated to him that GE has improved since he's been with us

(Don't shoot the messenger - just repeating what was said !)

Being injured when he was signed didn't do John Galley any harm  

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What registered with me more PF was the 'in person' selling of the Club to Tammy / Leko 

Said that he had been up in London with MA talking to Chelsea and agents , drove back to Bristol on a wet night when he got a call to say he could meet Tammy if he wanted to

Said he knew he had to turn round and go back up and take the opportunity , which he did - and we know the end result

Said that He had met with Leko and explained that we had a young squad that he would get on with and, our ethos , how we try and play , and how we would  give him the platform to impress etc etc - Clearly sold the idea well to Leko as this was six weeks or so ago and Leko has been asking for and watching DVD s of all our games etc (Which impressed me I have to say - great attitude / professionalism from Leko)

Good job Leko didn't  watch the DVDs of our matches last season before he signed, or he would have done a runner 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

As eloquent as you are, you do give the impression that you clicked on this post with a wholly negative mindset and that, whatever was said/presented/talked about last night you were going to pick holes in.

Of course, I'll concede that if we'd won a few more games throughout the course of last season that wouldn't be the case. That, for the most part, is obviously the head coach's fault.

But I do hope that fans like yourself will give the current team - top to bottom - a proper and fair chance to win you over this season. 

Besides, our record in the past 20 games (a fair and round sample size, I think?) across all competitions is actually surprising good - W9 D6 L5 - and averaged out over an entire season would see us comfortably in the top 10, which I think would represent superb progress by any reasonable person's measure.

Sorry for picking, I appreciate this turned into more of a general point.

25 minutes ago, shelts said:

Unless you were at the night you don't quite get why they showed a video ...as it was part of an answer to a question asked by a fan 

They obviously intended showing the video or else they wouldn't have had it prepared, nothing wrong with that but it can't have been purely in answer to a fan. I guess the club didn't know what the response to the session would be or for the fans the response to questions. There could have been an awful lot of ' we can't comment on that' type answers but it sounds like it was a good meeting between both parties as such. I'm sorry I missed it and hope they will do another in the future.

I was there. It was not a presentation.

The video was available but it wasn't forcibly dragged up. It was shown because it was relevant.

This wasn't Mark Ashton giving a 48 slide presentation. There were a handful of slides used (maximum 5 I'd say).

Anybody who wasn't there suggested that anyone "led the floor" and just ate up time with the video is wholly wrong.

Archived