IGNORED

Mark Ashton on radio Bristol (Merged)

Never to the dark side

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I didn't hear the MA interview so can't comment on the content but reading thru this thread it seems that some posters are critical of what he said.

The word "spin" crops up written in a negative manner and I wonder why some are so critical of "spin".

Thats what all senior employees at AG do. It's part of their job to  portray that they are professionals who know what they're doing and that the club is in safe hands.

You won't hear any of them say anything that might portray the club in a negative light. 

Call it "spin" and corporate speech all you want but what else did anyone expect?

What people mean is the inconsistency - Ashton’s comments on Ayling were out of step with Johnson’s and he tried to make it look as if Ayling wanted to leave.

Recently LJ implied the sale could've been a mistake in hindsight. People would have more respect for Ashton if he sometimes just said things like that - rather than pro-club propaganda.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Had a listen last night. You were right @BobBobSuperBob, GT really pushed Ashton on a few issues. I got the impression GT doesn’t have that much time for him really and finds him a little odd. He even pushed him on his new ‘CEO’ job title. Think Geoff finds him a bit pretentious and perculiar - probably prefers more straight talking football men.

I’ve defended Ashton on here but I can see why people are suspicious of him. He’s corporate and comes across as a bit fake and there were a few red flags for me yesterday - the comments on Ayling for example were out of step with other things we’ve heard. 

Overall he’s probably great at dealing with agents and board members - but there’s something about him I can’t totally trust.

Football is full of this 'type' of person behind the scenes.

You need them. Some of these players agents and board members are very...well you know ;-)

That saying...'it takes one to know one'....you need people who know how to deal with the same ilk.

What's worth considering...is MA is like many ex players who go on to work in other areas of football.

It's all smoke and mirrors. The same as any business that deals with entertainment and large amounts of money. You see it every day on the news with other establishments. football is no different.

It's all part of the 'game'... we'd be naïve to think football is any different.

I often find it fascinating when you get ex footballers on tv or radio, as presenters or pundits, who become 'fan like' in their criticism or thinking, yet weren't long ago part of the circus. Some of them have short memories.

Having played golf with GT in the past, his 'stories' and the way he thought it was funny at the time, don't correlate with the questioning now.

Don't get me wrong...I like him and his presenting, but I do find it all a bit 'interesting' to say the least.

34 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Had a listen last night. You were right @BobBobSuperBob, GT really pushed Ashton on a few issues. I got the impression GT doesn’t have that much time for him really and finds him a little odd. He even pushed him on his new ‘CEO’ job title. Think Geoff finds him a bit pretentious and perculiar - probably prefers more straight talking football men.

I’ve defended Ashton on here but I can see why people are suspicious of him. He’s corporate and comes across as a bit fake and there were a few red flags for me yesterday - the comments on Ayling for example were out of step with other things we’ve heard. 

Overall he’s probably great at dealing with agents and board members - but there’s something about him I can’t totally trust.

Slime glands working overtime.....(XTC)

35 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What people mean is the inconsistency - Ashton’s comments on Ayling were out of step with Johnson’s and he tried to make it look as if Ayling wanted to leave.

Recently LJ implied the sale could've been a mistake in hindsight. People would have more respect for Ashton if he sometimes just said things like that - rather than pro-club propaganda.

There's quite a difference between inconsistency and spin in the corporate world PF.

1 hour ago, otib118 said:

Trouble is when he or anyone in the club tries to do that everyone then has a go At them for lack of communication!

but I think in this instance we would have been none the wiser…we didn't need to know that Flinty 'had his head turned' and it wouldn't have caused all that stink 

59 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'll have to listen to the interview in full tonight, before the match. :city:

43 minutes ago, spudski said:

Football is full of this 'type' of person behind the scenes.

You need them. Some of these players agents and board members are very...well you know ;-)

That saying...'it takes one to know one'....you need people who know how to deal with the same ilk.

What's worth considering...is MA is like many ex players who go on to work in other areas of football.

It's all smoke and mirrors. The same as any business that deals with entertainment and large amounts of money. You see it every day on the news with other establishments. football is no different.

It's all part of the 'game'... we'd be naïve to think football is any different.

I often find it fascinating when you get ex footballers on tv or radio, as presenters or pundits, who become 'fan like' in their criticism or thinking, yet weren't long ago part of the circus. Some of them have short memories.

Having played golf with GT in the past, his 'stories' and the way he thought it was funny at the time, don't correlate with the questioning now.

Don't get me wrong...I like him and his presenting, but I do find it all a bit 'interesting' to say the least.

Yes but he is a bit too Ed Winchester. Yes, the corporate world is full of these types, that's why I know I wouldn't fit in and I don't have much time for it. I think it is unfortunate that it is full of these types, not a good thing. I just hate bullshit and spin and I think it can do more damage than good, in the long run. :mafia: 

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

There's quite a difference between inconsistency and spin in the corporate world PF.

Thanks for that. Thing is though that last night his audience wasn’t other CEOs, agents and board members - it was fans.

I don’t think he’s the devil like some do, I think he does a good job and his style is a necessary evil. I can see why people don’t totally trust him - seems like Geoff isn’t convinced.

17 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Apart from the fact we played Leeds, why is all this Luke Ayling stuff resurfacing?  It's been done to death on here a thousand times over.

Basically because we played Leeds. He’s been in the news recently signing a new contract. Also because of our injury problems at right back. 

There’ll probably be chat about Freeman on here when we play QPR.

15 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes but he is a bit too Ed Winchester. Yes, the corporate world is full of these types, that's why I know I wouldn't fit in and I don't have much time for it. I think it is unfortunate that it is full of these types, not a good thing. I just hate bullshit and spin and I think it can do more damage than good, in the long run. :mafia: 

Much of the 'big business' world is like this unfortunately. Often they are the 'middle men'....the men at the top get 'the dogs', as I've heard it said, do the dirty work for them.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Basically because we played Leeds. He’s been in the news recently signing a new contract. Also because of our injury problems at right back. 

There’ll probably be chat about Freeman on here when we play QPR.

Yeah, and people mentioned Wilbs and Little after we played Bolton. I mean, what is it with people, sometimes?

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

Much of the 'big business' world is like this unfortunately. Often they are the 'middle men'....the men at the top get 'the dogs', as I've heard it said, do the dirty work for them.

Yes, and that's why I'll never be a top business woman. :protest: 

My friend is a HR director of a global firm and says dealing with the top dogs is like dealing with a load of kids…:pacifier:

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Said this on Sat on RB

Think you're missing my point about what was said -

When Ayling was sold LJ stated that he'd explained to LA that his game time was going to be limited and so when Leeds came in LA accepted it was time to move on

Tonight MA hint d that Ayling , like Kodja had asked to leave the club , when challenged about this by GT he backed down quickly and waffled about ongoing discussions at the time

If not challenged by GT Ashton was happy to leave anyone listening and unaware of LJs comments at the time (Or even those on Saturday)  believing that LA had engineered a move away

Thought it was disgraceful

Listen to the i/v and see what you think GT thinks of MA

Fair play he challenged his answers on several occasions - top interviewer IMHO

GT has contacts in the game and undoubtedly at City. He will have known full well that Ayling didn't ask for a move away from City and nor did Flint. That is why he was able to confidently probe MA on these matters.

Daft from MA though. Not spin, not trying to be clever. Not 'just doing his job'. Just daft and lacking in professionalism. And I say that as someone who has stuck up for him plenty of times.

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

For anyone that hasn't heard the interview

HERE IT IS

13 minutes in...

GT: "So these 10-12 scouts that work for you in this country, which levels do they scout in?"

MA: "Well, you'll have heard me talk before about the ponds, rivers and lakes that we fish in..."

GT: "Tell me about the divisions and levels of football"

Quality! :laughcont:

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

13 minutes in...

GT: "So these 10-12 scouts that work for you in this country, which levels do they scout in?"

MA: "Well, you'll have heard me talk before about the ponds, rivers and lakes that we fish in..."

GT: "Tell me about the divisions and levels of football"

Quality! :laughcont:

Indeed, not quite so full of cr8p, but still a bit W1A!

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

but I think in this instance we would have been none the wiser…we didn't need to know that Flinty 'had his head turned' and it wouldn't have caused all that stink 

LJ had to give a reason why Flint wasn't being picked .

If he said nothing there would have been lots of negativity amongst the supporters who believed that he should have been .

Equally any suitors would have the message that he hadn't been dropped through injury or lack of ability so was a viable transfer target . 

Anyhow , water under the duck's back now .

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Thanks for that. Thing is though that last night his audience wasn’t other CEOs, agents and board members - it was fans.

I don’t think he’s the devil like some do, I think he does a good job and his style is a necessary evil. I can see why people don’t totally trust him - seems like Geoff isn’t convinced.

Think you have it right PF

Hes undoubtedly a good fit dealing with agents - he'd make an ideal one-   says it all

Seems to work in that field well which is good

Message to MA though

Dont bullshit or try and fakerly butter up supporters - you come across as a complete fake when you do

Try and remain consistent in your accounts or your credibility diminishes by the minute IMHO

Possibly a necessary evil at the Club but somebody I'd want to work with or spend time with -

No ta 

One you'd have to watch out the corner of your eye all the time

He might smooch SL but not Sure he'd hold much respect amongst the players

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes, and that's why I'll never be a top business woman. :protest: 

My friend is a HR director of a global firm and says dealing with the top dogs is like dealing with a load of kids…:pacifier:

Better off being "normal" than becoming a walking talking cliché and being über successful @exAtyeoMax I say. We're fine as we are! 

Archived