IGNORED

New signings needed for promotion?

Michael McIndoe

16 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I don't know any City players that did when I was there, however I do know other players from other teams I've played for used to look and would get so angry you would literally see the smoke coming out their ears. I never understood it because you know yourself as a player; if you've had a good game, a great game of a sh1t game at the weekend. 

On a different note I know players who would throw up regularly before games due to "nerves". One was a City boy. And before you ask no I won't name names. :nono: 

Didn't know you played with Lee Peacock?

Hi @Michael McIndoe. It's great to see you on here. You we're obviously a fan favourite when you were here and never gave less than 100%. Full credit there. 

Why isn't Nicky Maynard in your best XI team?? I would have thought he'd be an easy pick, and I'm surprised he never progressed in the premier league. 

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Watch the C5 shows on Saturday evening and look at the types of goals scored in the Championship and then L1/2.

Of course you get all types, but I'm always surprised at how many goals in League One are from balls over the top, with player either having a straightforward 1on1 chance or getting away from his marker and scoring a 1on1 under challenge.

Better defenders, better organised defences in Championship, coupled with more pressure on the pass in midfield reduces the volume at the higher level.

Back to Taylor, from watching C5 goals whilst at Rovers, a fair few of his goals were from the ball over the top.  He did score some from outside the box, which made me think he might be a streaky scorer (like some golfers who hole putts in streaks then go cold).  We haven’t seen a streak yet.

I think you're spot on here @Davefevs but isn't the term purple patch? :thumbsup:

36 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Must admit I find it astonishing you've been tee total for 18 years?!

I struggle to do dry January !!

Seems like you have a plan regarding playing / managing , good luck. 

Ha. I'd like to take all the credit but I actually have Paul Merson, The Priory and Lennie Lawrence to thank for that! 

Thanks! Top man @Spoons

45 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Obviously I've made it known I want to become a manager one day. I have every intention of taking the remaining badges I need. I said in my epilogue that I wasn't sure if playing would mentally challenge me enough anymore but since then the more games I've watched I've started to get a little buzz back for it and I still think I can do a job and cause defences problems in the EFL...so I'm in the process of getting fully fit and ready to go. Of course I'm 38 and people might question my age, I left football just over 6 years ago without ever having a serious injury.  Also remembering I've been teetotal for over 18 years. My body feels good and my mind feels sharp so the only question I ask myself is can I be as quick and as energetic as I once was? Funnily enough I think I could be even quicker. When I'm fully fit I think I will have to post a video of my 100m training times + my bleep test on Twitter to see if I'm right!

Built this up a little bit haven't I! :blush2:

You can always go back to grass root football and I hear rovers new help 

only joking would not wish that on my worst 

@Michael McIndoe one criticism levelled at you by quite a few fans whilst you were here was that you used to run down blind alleys a fair bit and play with your head down. Quite often I recall you' get the ball, head down and essentially dribble the ball all the way to the corner flag and try and get and cross in but often win thrown ins/corners.

Were you playing to specific instructions to do that or do you feel a weakness of your game was to not play with your head up so much and thus missed out on options to release the ball sooner, or play the ball inside?

23 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Byfield? Surprised by that tbh, but other than that good team 

also when you was at the club, did you see any youngsters who’ve made it now? Or you thought that would make it, who haven’t?

Another good question! Daz was unbelievable to play with. His link up play and vision when you run off him at speed is phenomenal. Also you would be surprised at how much unselfish running he does to create space for others. And in training was one of the best natural finishers in the club at the time. Remember most of the time Gary used to play him upfront on his own with a 5 across the midfield and he would put a shift in. I just wish he would have stayed longer as I don't think City ever saw him at his best. I promise you the guy can play! 

There were a few I felt that had a chance at the time: Tristan Plummer, Christian Ribeiro and James Wilson. 

1 hour ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Newcastle won the league last season with a GD +45. Gayle and Perez got 32 between them as a front pairing. 

Brighton finished second with a GD of +34. Murray and Knockaert got 38 between them. 

Huddersfield got into the play-offs with a GD -2. It always more often than not been the case if you can get two strikers in double figures and an attacking midfielder chipping in with 10 you're probably going to get automatic promotion. I see your point with Huddersfield but the play-offs are a complete lottery. I think you need more goals in your current squad especially for the latter part of this season. 

All fair comment and I'm overstating the case to make a general point about reliance on a prolific striker. We've been fortunate to have Kodjia and Abraham but we relied on them too much perhaps.

The fact remains that only the top 2 have scored more than us so far and with 2 strikers due back from injury there may be more important positions to strengthen.

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

@Michael McIndoe one criticism levelled at you by quite a few fans whilst you were here was that you used to run down blind alleys a fair bit and play with your head down. Quite often I recall you' get the ball, head down and essentially dribble the ball all the way to the corner flag and try and get and cross in but often win thrown ins/corners.

Were you playing to specific instructions to do that or do you feel a weakness of your game was to not play with your head up so much and thus missed out on options to release the ball sooner, or play the ball inside?

Yep I had a bonus in my contract that if I head butted the corner flag so many times a game I got more money. :laugh:

17 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I think that was his biggest contribution rolling me that ball. :kiddie: He's probably in Oz right now claiming that was an assist! 

I think it probably was his biggest contribution. I always felt Carle was so overrated by City fans. Scored zero goals and his shooting was crap and managed about 1 assist I think, if that, in his entire time at the club. Complete show pony and we laughed all the way to the bank when Palace coughed up over a million for him.

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

All fair comment and I'm overstating the case to make a general point about reliance on a prolific striker. We've been fortunate to have Kodjia and Abraham but we relied on them too much perhaps.

The fact remains that only the top 2 have scored more than us so far and with 2 strikers due back from injury there may be more important positions to strengthen.

Understand where you're coming from but City's GD at the moment is actually the 5th best in the division when you really need to be the 2nd best. Let's hope the New Year brings even better fortune! 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Nick carle was absolute shit

Not withstanding who started the thread, but always thought he was good,, and im pretty sure we had the conversation on here at that time that if we could pair him with ben watson in cm, that would have been one of the strongest in the league.

2 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Understand where you're coming from but City's GD at the moment is actually the 5th best in the division when you really need to be the 2nd best. Let's hope the New Year brings even better fortune! 

Fair comment again. Losing Fammy when he had hit form was a big blow. Let's hope he's back soon and hits the ground running.

As someone else has said, you were always an articulate talker about the game. So many ex players have got nothing original or interesting to say, including a lot of big name pundits, so thanks for your responses.

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Nick carle was absolute shit

on a par with Kilkenny 

Thank **** Kilkenny is no longer here. Carle was bad, but Kilkenny was just diabolical. Everyone could see it.

3 minutes ago, yardy said:

Awesome thread, it's great to hear views from a ex City player.

I enjoyed you're time with us @Michael McIndoe, always a threat and always gave 100%

I hope to see more of this and hope you get back into football, good luck.

Awesome. Much appreciated @yardy. All the best to you in 2018! 

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

Thank **** Kilkenny is no longer here. Carle was bad, but Kilkenny was just diabolical. Everyone could see it.

Don’t know how they became pros . Contributed **** all in a game. Carle was , get the ball , step over step over pass sideways lose it , can’t tackle either. 

Kilkenny , point point give it away. 

5 minutes ago, Scrumpy_247 said:

@Michael McIndoe wouldn’t you go for Bradley Orr ahead of Bailey Wright - I really rated Orr!

I did think about it because Brad was a good player. But on a Monday morning when the stats came in he tended to be the one who gave possession away the most and from a fullback's perspective they get to see the whole pitch so in theory, should give the ball away the least. That was my reasoning behind it! 

11 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Not withstanding who started the thread, but always thought he was good,, and im pretty sure we had the conversation on here at that time that if we could pair him with ben watson in cm, that would have been one of the strongest in the league.

No , he was shit imo . Wouldn’t even get in the 15ers side. Hang on , of course he would. 

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Fair comment again. Losing Fammy when he had hit form was a big blow. Let's hope he's back soon and hits the ground running.

As someone else has said, you were always an articulate talker about the game. So many ex players have got nothing original or interesting to say, including a lot of big name pundits, so thanks for your responses.

I think a lot of the pundits, (Graeme Souness, Gary Neville and Ian Wright aside) want to be too PC. Or to be completely blunt are too scared to speak honestly without repercussion especially if you're still in the industry. It is ridiculously close-knit. 

Archived