IGNORED

New signings needed for promotion?

Michael McIndoe

22 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Gary always demanded both. He wanted you super fit and to be able to pass the ball.

I only got 7 goals and should've got at least 10 that season so I think you're right. I would definitely take some of that responsibility for sure.  Darren was the top goal scorer that year with 8 I believe. I think we definitely needed two strikers in double figures. A team who has that tends to get promoted to the PL. 

You were super fit though and covered an awful lot of ground. Goals are not the sole measure of a player's contribution.

5 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Can I ask @Michael McIndoe, outta the players you played for a City during the season we finished 3rd and this one now, who would be your combined 11? Which outta that squad would get into our team now?

Great question @alexukhc. Basso, Bryan, Flint, Carey, Wright, Smith, Elliott, Paterson, McIndoe!, Reid, Byfield.   

7 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Great question @alexukhc. Basso, Bryan, Flint, Carey, Wright, Smith, Elliott, Paterson, McIndoe!, Reid, Byfield.   

Some team that. Been supporting City since the 90s and can think of only 4 other city players in my time that would get in to that side (Tinnion, Murray, Lita and Bell) 

21 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I hear what you're saying @pillred @Up The City! about Matty Taylor but the kid has never played at this level before. I definitely think he has goals in him and I think he might prefer playing alongside a bigger target man. 

I know in todays market what we paid for matty was peanuts compared to what we have spent in the past, it's that he was such a scorer and idol for the other lot was really hoping he would replicate it for us, is it really that different playing in the championship, of course It must be a bit more difficult as it has taken city a while to get to grips with it, he just seemed to score for fun in league one. 

55 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Without coming across as arrogant @ziderheadarmy I don't need to come on here to try to sell my book. It sells itself and it's already a bestseller. Maybe you should have a read given your previous comment...:punish:I've already said I'm on here because I've found this season fascinating. Not only because Lee and Jamie are in charge but because of the similarities to the 07/08 season. Another reason is because players are told to keep as far away as possible from forums, but I'm not playing at the moment so thought it would be an interesting insight to chat to proper fans. I'm based in Edinburgh. Why would Lee and I not be on talking terms? 

You say players are told to keep as far away as possible from forums, but do you know if City players when you were around ever did have a check? 

30 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I hear what you're saying @pillred @Up The City! about Matty Taylor but the kid has never played at this level before. I definitely think he has goals in him and I think he might prefer playing alongside a bigger target man. 

I think he needs a good run of starting games to really get into it. Since he's joined us he's been a bit part player at best.

Since he's joined we've either been fighting relegation or going for promotion so trying to give him thay run of games has been difficult. 

This season he would have been starting up front with Fammy, however Reid was converted to playing up top and that shut the door for Matty. Taylor is now pretty much back up for Reid imo.

20 hours ago, Michael McIndoe said:

You might want to watch what you write mate. You can't hide behind your IP address and make defamatory comments - I have an extremely good legal team. 

And anyway you can't be a true BC fan because who would write to an ex-player who helped your team to finish in its highest ever position in modern football and who also coincidentally started the most league games that season for your team? 

I need a smart lawyer - innocent until proved guilty.

Good to hear a former player's perspective on the then and now.

I agree we need to learn from last time.

We should bring the quality players we need, through a combination of signings and loans.

If we had gone up last time Mac, you'd probably have written a very different book.

I hope @Michael McIndoe becomes a regular on here.

Always used to enjoy watching his interviews as he has always had above average intelligence for a footballer and he used to speak his mind. Clearly a very deep thinker.

Football is such a closed shop, us fans despite spending huge sums are only told what they want us to be told so it's interesting to hear a former players perspective on things.

Have City been in contact with you about you posting on here? I'm not sure they would be best pleased.

3 hours ago, MATT BCFC said:

Firstly must be said what a player you were for us MM and I was gutted when you left.

I think similar to the team 10 years ago we lack a real quality striker. We have really missed Diedhiou since he's been out and Reid for me is a number 10 who looks better along side a target man. Djuric always seems to be injured. Woodrow and Taylor don't look good enough for where we are at. 

So I'd definitely sign a proven championship striker, isn't Grabban available? Apart from that I don't see too many weaknesses in the side although the squad could have a bit more depth. 

I'd send Woodrow back as we have done with Leko and get two premiership youngsters on loan which would hopefully give us a bit more squad depth. There's some quality youngsters at the likes of Man City and Chelsea who would be real assists in this league.

I'd like us to give Elission a run in the side cos think he has potential. I'd definitely start him on sat and against Man City. 

With a top championship striker, 2 decent loans, Diedhiou and O'Dowda to come back think we can definitely push for second! 

Hi @MATT BCFC I have to agree with you I think you do need an out and out striker. The problem with PL young kids is how many can come in and do a job like Tammy did? Elission looks like he's got a bit of pace but I don't know if he's just a speedboat with no driver. Only a good run in the team will tell.

I think the only problem is there are realistically 9 teams all still capable of getting that 2nd spot.  

38 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Can I echo others and say I think it brilliant to have someone on here who speaks with real knowledge of playing the game and knows too about the club.  Thanks, very illuminating and instructive to read your contributions, MM.

Thank you @Ivorguy much appreciated for your generous comments. 

42 minutes ago, chinapig said:

For Huddersfield last season Kachunga had 12 and Wells 9. Leeds had the top scorer and didn't make the play offs. We had Tammy and could have gone down.

It's not always about prolific strikers.

Newcastle won the league last season with a GD +45. Gayle and Perez got 32 between them as a front pairing. 

Brighton finished second with a GD of +34. Murray and Knockaert got 38 between them. 

Huddersfield got into the play-offs with a GD -2. It always more often than not been the case if you can get two strikers in double figures and an attacking midfielder chipping in with 10 you're probably going to get automatic promotion. I see your point with Huddersfield but the play-offs are a complete lottery. I think you need more goals in your current squad especially for the latter part of this season. 

27 minutes ago, pillred said:

I know in todays market what we paid for matty was peanuts compared to what we have spent in the past, it's that he was such a scorer and idol for the other lot was really hoping he would replicate it for us, is it really that different playing in the championship, of course It must be a bit more difficult as it has taken city a while to get to grips with it, he just seemed to score for fun in league one. 

Watch the C5 shows on Saturday evening and look at the types of goals scored in the Championship and then L1/2.

Of course you get all types, but I'm always surprised at how many goals in League One are from balls over the top, with player either having a straightforward 1on1 chance or getting away from his marker and scoring a 1on1 under challenge.

Better defenders, better organised defences in Championship, coupled with more pressure on the pass in midfield reduces the volume at the higher level.

Back to Taylor, from watching C5 goals whilst at Rovers, a fair few of his goals were from the ball over the top.  He did score some from outside the box, which made me think he might be a streaky scorer (like some golfers who hole putts in streaks then go cold).  We haven’t seen a streak yet.

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

@Michael McIndoe You said you aren't playing at the minute?

Are you retired or are you still looking to play ? 

Obviously I've made it known I want to become a manager one day. I have every intention of taking the remaining badges I need. I said in my epilogue that I wasn't sure if playing would mentally challenge me enough anymore but since then the more games I've watched I've started to get a little buzz back for it and I still think I can do a job and cause defences problems in the EFL...so I'm in the process of getting fully fit and ready to go. Of course I'm 38 and people might question my age, I left football just over 6 years ago without ever having a serious injury.  Also remembering I've been teetotal for over 18 years. My body feels good and my mind feels sharp so the only question I ask myself is can I be as quick and as energetic as I once was? Funnily enough I think I could be even quicker. When I'm fully fit I think I will have to post a video of my 100m training times + my bleep test on Twitter to see if I'm right!

Built this up a little bit haven't I! :blush2:

3 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Obviously I've made it known I want to become a manager one day. I have every intention of taking the remaining badges I need. I said in my epilogue that I wasn't sure if playing would mentally challenge me enough anymore but since then the more games I've watched I've started to get a little buzz back for it and I still think I can do a job and cause defences problems in the EFL...so I'm in the process of getting fully fit and ready to go. Of course I'm 38 and people might question my age, I left football just over 6 years ago without ever having a serious injury.  Also remembering I've been teetotal for over 18 years. My body feels good and my mind feels sharp so the only question I ask myself is can I be as quick and as energetic as I once was? Funnily enough I think I could be even quicker. When I'm fully fit I think I will have to post a video of my 100m training times + my bleep test on Twitter to see if I'm right!

Did you know Marvin Elliott went in to finance in London. Bet him in a bar couple of years ago. 

1 hour ago, MATT BCFC said:

Some team that. Been supporting City since the 90s and can think of only 4 other city players in my time that would get in to that side (Tinnion, Murray, Lita and Bell) 

Funnily enough I was thinking about putting Scotty into my starting XI because he was always a goal machine from all different parts of the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Must admit I find it astonishing you've been tee total for 18 years?!

I struggle to do dry January !!

Seems like you have a plan regarding playing / managing , good luck. 

1 hour ago, pillred said:

It would be interesting to know how many starts he's had this season? 

I believe it's much different playing in the Championship than say League One. Players are quicker, stronger and slightly technically more gifted. Another key point about Taylor is that he's not proven in the Championship yet so there's no fear factor there. When I used to come up against players I know I''ve destroyed in the past - I can't wait to play against them and come match day naturally they give you more room to operate which ironically is the worst thing they should do! I think once Matty gets a bit of that fear factor from opposing defences, he'll earn himself a bit more space to express his creativity. 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

You say players are told to keep as far away as possible from forums, but do you know if City players when you were around ever did have a check? 

I don't know any City players that did when I was there, however I do know other players from other teams I've played for used to look and would get so angry you would literally see the smoke coming out their ears. I never understood it because you know yourself as a player; if you've had a good game, a great game of a sh1t game at the weekend. 

On a different note I know players who would throw up regularly before games due to nerves. One was a City boy. And before you ask no I won't name names. :nono: 

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

I think he needs a good run of starting games to really get into it. Since he's joined us he's been a bit part player at best.

Since he's joined we've either been fighting relegation or going for promotion so trying to give him thay run of games has been difficult. 

This season he would have been starting up front with Fammy, however Reid was converted to playing up top and that shut the door for Matty. Taylor is now pretty much back up for Reid imo.

Interesting stuff. I will keep an eye on how that develops.

13 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Another key point about Taylor is that he's not proven in the Championship yet so there's no fear factor there. When I used to come up against players I know I''ve destroyed in the past - I can't wait to play against them and come match day naturally they give you more room to operate which ironically is the worst thing they should do! I think once Matty gets a bit of that fear factor from opposing defences, he'll earn himself a bit more space to express his creativity. 

Interesting point this. Am enjoying having the perspective of a player on the forum

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

I need a smart lawyer - innocent until proved guilty.

Good to hear a former player's perspective on the then and now.

I agree we need to learn from last time.

We should bring the quality players we need, through a combination of signings and loans.

If we had gone up last time Mac, you'd probably have written a very different book.

Regarding your point about my book. I agree there definitely would have been a different ending! 

There's no doubt that if not this season, City will go up in the seasons to come. Steve has definitely enhanced the stadium with a view to get into the PL. 

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

I hope @Michael McIndoe becomes a regular on here.

Always used to enjoy watching his interviews as he has always had above average intelligence for a footballer and he used to speak his mind. Clearly a very deep thinker.

Football is such a closed shop, us fans despite spending huge sums are only told what they want us to be told so it's interesting to hear a former players perspective on things.

Have City been in contact with you about you posting on here? I'm not sure they would be best pleased.

Cheers @Up The City!!! Did you know I left school at a very young age so I'm extremely humbled by that! 

That's the beautiful thing about being out of contract - no one can tell you what to do or say! 

1 hour ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Byfield? Surprised by that tbh, but other than that good team 

also when you was at the club, did you see any youngsters who’ve made it now? Or you thought that would make it, who haven’t?

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

Just like to say MMc, I think its great you are on here, one of my favourite players of that side, good to hear your take on things.

Thank you @weepywall. Actually it's more interesting for me to hear your opinions on football. I've very rarely had the chance to engage this much. 

Archived