IGNORED

New signings needed for promotion?

Michael McIndoe

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Not so sure @Port Said Red - LJ & MA have previously stated that they are always looking for players who will improve The Group (c)  so I don't see "buying big" (which presumably means equal to and exceeding our current record of c. £5m) as a problem specifically in the context of that statement. 

Surely it'd be naive to expect to strengthen with less experienced players?  

But I can't see us spending that kind of money on players to "tide us over" until the players already here have reached full fitness. I would understand and welcome players to compete in midfield and wide, but would be surprised to see someone to rival Milan and Famara for example.

The health of the group is obviously high on LJs list of priorities, so I would only see him bringing in someone who was already on one of our summer lists early.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But I can't see us spending that kind of money on players to "tide us over" until the players already here have reached full fitness. I would understand and welcome players to compete in midfield and wide, but would be surprised to see someone to rival Milan and Famara for example.

The health of the group is obviously high on LJs list of priorities, so I would only see him bringing in someone who was already on one of our summer lists early.

I agree but the squad will obviously continue to evolve, irrespective of wether we go up or not, so why not bring them in now?

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

I agree but the squad will obviously continue to evolve, irrespective of wether we go up or not, so why not bring them in now?

Yes I think we agree with each other on that, my point still stands, I expect any signing we make to have most fans, hunting the internet to find information on them.

57 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes I think we agree with each other on that, my point still stands, I expect any signing we make to have most fans, hunting the internet to find information on them.

I'm not so sure; we don;t have the luxury of affording any new signings a period of grace to get up to speed with the Championship. If we buy some "for the future" that's fine and to be expected but any that are going to go straight into the matchday squad will surely be of a quality sufficient to be a known quantity to most of the fanbase? 

10 hours ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Apologies @Dolman_StandI've mentioned it a couple of times on a previous thread. Not to plug it but the whole story is in my book. :boxing:

Top man for coming back onto the site and responding to so many messages.  Sorry if you've mentioned this before, but have you been to watch many City games this season?

Do former players get the chance at the ground to have a chat with the current players / management?

Firstly must be said what a player you were for us MM and I was gutted when you left.

I think similar to the team 10 years ago we lack a real quality striker. We have really missed Diedhiou since he's been out and Reid for me is a number 10 who looks better along side a target man. Djuric always seems to be injured. Woodrow and Taylor don't look good enough for where we are at. 

So I'd definitely sign a proven championship striker, isn't Grabban available? Apart from that I don't see too many weaknesses in the side although the squad could have a bit more depth. 

I'd send Woodrow back as we have done with Leko and get two premiership youngsters on loan which would hopefully give us a bit more squad depth. There's some quality youngsters at the likes of Man City and Chelsea who would be real assists in this league.

I'd like us to give Elission a run in the side cos think he has potential. I'd definitely start him on sat and against Man City. 

With a top championship striker, 2 decent loans, Diedhiou and O'Dowda to come back think we can definitely push for second! 

3 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Firstly must be said what a player you were for us MM and I was gutted when you left.

I think similar to the team 10 years ago we lack a real quality striker. We have really missed Diedhiou since he's been out and Reid for me is a number 10 who looks better along side a target man. Djuric always seems to be injured. Woodrow and Taylor don't look good enough for where we are at. 

So I'd definitely sign a proven championship striker, isn't Grabban available? Apart from that I don't see too many weaknesses in the side although the squad could have a bit more depth. 

I'd send Woodrow back as we have done with Leko and get two premiership youngsters on loan which would hopefully give us a bit more squad depth. There's some quality youngsters at the likes of Man City and Chelsea who would be real assists in this league.

I'd like us to give Elission a run in the side cos think he has potential. I'd definitely start him on sat and against Man City. 

With a top championship striker, 2 decent loans, Diedhiou and O'Dowda to come back think we can definitely push for second! 

Pedant alert - we didn’t send Leko back, WBA recalled him. 

17 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Hi Michael, have you ever considered doing an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit? It's basically a Q&A that typically has a much broader scope of questions than a traditional interview or forum format. Not many professional footballers have done one before despite the fact that the football subreddit has over 700000 subscribers. Could be a great opportunity for you to promote the book. 

Hi @Newquay-Red I haven't heard of it but I will have a little look at it. Thanks for the heads up. 

16 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

@Michael McIndoe Hi Michael, do you mind me asking why your on here? Please be honest is it to simply try and sell a few more copies of your book? Where do you live these days? Are you and Lee still on talking terms? 

Without coming across as arrogant @ziderheadarmy I don't need to come on here to try to sell my book. It sells itself and it's already a bestseller. Maybe you should have a read given your previous comment...:punish:I've already said I'm on here because I've found this season fascinating. Not only because Lee and Jamie are in charge but because of the similarities to the 07/08 season. Another reason is because players are told to keep as far away as possible from forums, but I'm not playing at the moment so thought it would be an interesting insight to chat to proper fans. I'm based in Edinburgh. Why would Lee and I not be on talking terms? 

17 hours ago, Leveller said:

Cole and Lee both got a lot of criticism on here for being negative or unexciting. Do you think supporters generally recognise useful footballers apart from top flair players?

I read another thread somewhere on here that Cole and Lee were always passing sideways. The term in football is crab players. Because we had so much width in the team with me and Ivan, Gary would encourage to get the ball wide as quickly as possible, be that through our fullbacks Brad and Jamie or the wingers. So I think a lot is down to the style of play the manager wants to implement. Of course Lee always took stick because his dad was the manager but I felt he always dealt with it really well. And to be honest with you I never heard anything negative being thrown in Cole's way when I was playing at City. I think supporters definitely recognise when players are giving their all. As a football fan myself, I recognise that the basics should always be run your balls off and be in a physical condition to be able to play 50 games a season. But of course the flair players always get the limelight and are paid more because they score and create goals. 

18 hours ago, tinman85 said:

GJ liked work rate. He seemed to struggle with players who had technical quality. 

Goals from midfield. We lacked a 10 goal attacking midfield player. 

Gary always demanded both. He wanted you super fit and to be able to pass the ball.

I only got 7 goals and should've got at least 10 that season so I think you're right. I would definitely take some of that responsibility for sure.  Darren was the top goal scorer that year with 8 I believe. I think we definitely needed two strikers in double figures. A team who has that tends to get promoted to the PL. 

18 hours ago, westred1 said:

LJ - 1 
Sproule - 2
Noble - 3
Elliott - 6
McIndoe - 7

That's not too bad a return from our midfielders. One or two perhaps could have contributed slightly more but wouldn't say it was the reason we didn't go up.

It's an average contribution but the fact we didn't have any strikers in double figures probably wasn't a great thing! I don't know many teams who have gone up from the Championship with their top goal scorer only getting 8 goals... 

16 hours ago, pillred said:

I have avoided making a snap decision on taylor to give him a chance, well I can now say in my opinion he flatters to deceive, could possibly make a half decent midfield player, but in the championship can't see him getting more than 5 maybe 6 goals a season, am a bit disappointed really as had high hopes for him.

16 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I think for what we paid for him we have had a very good return. 

To me Taylor looks to be very technically gifted but it just seems he doesn't quite fit into our system. Him and Reid as strikers is simply too lightweight. 

I think Taylor would make a great attacking midfielder.

Taylor is the kind of player thay needs a run in the team to really get going, unfortunately I just don't think he will get that run here because it's hard to fit him in.

I hear what you're saying @pillred @Up The City! about Matty Taylor but the kid has never played at this level before. I definitely think he has goals in him and I think he might prefer playing alongside a bigger target man. 

6 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Top man for coming back onto the site and responding to so many messages.  Sorry if you've mentioned this before, but have you been to watch many City games this season?

Do former players get the chance at the ground to have a chat with the current players / management?

@reddogkev No problems! 

I've not had much time this season to be completely honest with you to get down to the Gate. I don't really know many of your current squad personally. But of course next time I'm down I will have a chat with Jamie, Lee and Scotty for sure. 

11 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

It's an average contribution but the fact we didn't have any strikers in double figures probably wasn't a great thing! I don't know many teams who have gone up from the Championship with their top goal scorer only getting 8 goals... 

For Huddersfield last season Kachunga had 12 and Wells 9. Leeds had the top scorer and didn't make the play offs. We had Tammy and could have gone down.

It's not always about prolific strikers.

Archived