IGNORED

New signings needed for promotion?

Michael McIndoe

The problem with looking to sign top talent from the championship is once you work out which position you're looking for and whose 'available' (or within your reach) you aren't left with the biggest pool to buy from, then you have to work out if these players will fit with your style. On the weekend having loads of people saying they'd want Albert back for example, offensively Albert is great, but wouldn't suit our hard working defensive aspect of our game (a reason why O'Dowda has been such an important player for us). We shouldn't have to spend big this window, for recruitment we'll have a list of players for each position which match our key performance indicators and from there we can find value for money. 

I agree with @Davefevs about Lasse Vibe, I think he would be an excellent addition to our side, its not just his goal scoring, but from watching highlights his link up play between the midfield and attack is excellent, similar to that of Paterson when he plays behind Reid..... then consider he only has 6 months left on his contract. I think our main area for concern is a new right back, Bailey has been excellent in defence, and is adequate going forward but you can tell its not natural. Given Pisano isn't back till end of Feb/early March I feel we need to add here. James Bree was supposedly a big prospect at Barnsley but has been stalled at Villa, could be tempted to move for a first team chance. We also need another central midfielder, if one of Smith, Pack or Brownhill is out for substantial time then the other two will fatigue from constant game time. 

31 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

@petehinton No I didn't receive a Xmas card or a birthday from Nick Carle. It must've got lost in the post. :dunno:

You're right financially, if you totalled up all that money we could've just signed two unbelievably good players in Jan 08 and we all would've been in the PL! Let's hope SL digs deep and makes it happen...! 

Stoke and Hull did that and then went on and won promotion. Stoke have remained in the top flight and Hull have been up and down, we went backwards.

Everything you are saying about thay second half of the season is exactly how we all saw it. Dele was a decent player for us but not what we needed at that time. His presence on the pitch seemed to encourage our team to go long and desert the passing style that had served us well.

How much of an impact did it have LJ getting injured? I've always believed had he not got injured we would have gone up automatically, be interesting to hear your thoughts?

16 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

I don’t see FFP as that big a problem-sign a £10m player on a 5 year contract and that’s just a £2m hit to the calculation this year.  Wages may be a bigger concern but can’t see someone like Hugill being on more than £20k pw.  Given we had a strong year last year (admittedly through one offs) and the increased revenue I think we have a fair scope for investment this window.

The treatment of the transfer fee over the period of the contract is for Balance Sheet / Depreciation of an Asset purposes as far as I understand, not P&L, which is what FFP uses.

Obviously we can pay £10m upfront...not good for this coming year’s FFP.  That £10m is a debit in this year’s P&L....the length of contract is immaterial.

We could pay in instalments, good for this coming year’s FFP, but a millstone for future years.  Can’t inagine Preston or whoever won’t want the lion’s share if not all of it up front!

Etc,. 

44 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't know about SL, but a lot of the rest of us are :clapping:

We have a month, but to make the most of a fantastic start I think we need a couple in through the door soon. We have a little over a week before (potentially) a very winnable game Vs Norwich (I'll forget Watford and Man C will take care of itself) , if the rumour is true there should be at least one in by the end of next week. To my mind the earlier the better, just to take a bit of the strain .
If we wait until the end of the month for players to come in , and no one due back from injury , we could really struggle with fatigue . 

You could be right especially about struggling with fatigue! Especially chasing Man City around for two games. Let's hope you get some players in. 

What cost us was a lack of form at the end and an inability to play to certain players' strengths. We criminally misused Trundle in my opinion, a player with that much class and little pace should have dropped back a little. David Noble being fitter would have helped, but I think Gary Johnson got a lot wrong towards the end. Having said that, he did amazingly well to get us into that position.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

£15m might be manageable, might need to trim elsewhere or in the summer.  It’s talk of 2 or 3 big spends, which to me sounds like £20m plus.  To me that would need to be financed by someone important going.

Perhaps we are going to spend the money we get for winning the league Cup final!!

Fixed

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

£15m might be manageable, might need to trim elsewhere or in the summer.  It’s talk of 2 or 3 big spends, which to me sounds like £20m plus.  To me that would need to be financed by someone important going.

Perhaps we are going to spend the money we get for getting to the league Cup final!!

Isn't it great though that BC are in a position to possibly get into Europe and into the PL and win the FA Cup!!! That's what I love about football. Always dream big. 

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

Stoke and Hull did that and then went on and won promotion. Stoke have remained in the top flight and Hull have been up and down, we went backwards.

Everything you are saying about thay second half of the season is exactly how we all saw it. Dele was a decent player for us but not what we needed at that time. His presence on the pitch seemed to encourage our team to go long and desert the passing style that had served us well.

How much of an impact did it have LJ getting injured? I've always believed had he not got injured we would have gone up automatically, be interesting to hear your thoughts?

That was the only game I went to that season (Very part-time Bill in that period when I was playing myself)....Henderson did him I think.  Perhaps I was the problem :P

23 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

@pride of the west Thanks very much for your compliment. 

With no disrespect to Dele, it changed the dynamics of the team so much. The defenders started going long and bypassed all the midfielders which is where a lot of the creativity and goals came from that season. Remember Byfield was the top goal scorer that 07/08 season with 8 goals. If you looked at the passing stats they dramatically dropped from January onwards, when in the first half of the season we were in the top 3 passing teams in the division. We only won, one of the last 8 matches. It wasn't a team that was getting stronger. 

Re: Trundle. Gary always demanded our strikers hunt down defenders when they were on the ball. The only problem was Trunds didn't have that kind of energy to get around the pitch. Cardiovascular wise he was one of the worst on the team. So when Gary asked him to run around more, to Trunds' credit he did try, but by the time he got to the ball he was knackered. He was a good player but you needed to just give Trunds the ball on the edge of the box and let him do his magic. He's never been one for running the channels and chasing people down. Which, I have to say baffled me when Gary signed him and asked him to play like that! 

GJ liked work rate. He seemed to struggle with players who had technical quality. 

6 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Myself, Marvin Elliott, Ivan Sproule, David Noble, Lee Johnson... who do you think cost us that season? 

Goals from midfield. We lacked a 10 goal attacking midfield player. 

8 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Myself, Marvin Elliott, Ivan Sproule, David Noble, Lee Johnson... who do you think cost us that season? 

LJ - 1 
Sproule - 2
Noble - 3
Elliott - 6
McIndoe - 7

That's not too bad a return from our midfielders. One or two perhaps could have contributed slightly more but wouldn't say it was the reason we didn't go up.

Just now, tinman85 said:

GJ liked work rate. He seemed to struggle with players who had technical quality. 

Goals from midfield. We lacked a 10 goal attacking midfield player. 

Michael by the way you were an excellent player for us that season. The free kick v Palace greatest goal at AG now up there with Korey Smith!

38 minutes ago, cityexile said:

It’s a tricky one, and frankly easy for us to spend somebody else’s money. We have a model, and spending even £25m does not g’tee promotion. I suspect big fee players expect big wages. Many teams regret chasing the dream, and then it bites them on the arse.

A balanced risk right now might be to supplement any signings with one or two really high quaility loans, that will cost a fair bit but are time limited?

You make a good point about loan signings @cityexile But if you go and spend £10m on 2 new loan signings, yes you won't have the liability after the summer, but then come the summer you'll have to integrate more bodies into the squad which takes more time. For me you have to sign players that want to breathe, eat and mix with the Bristol people. 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The treatment of the transfer fee over the period of the contract is for Balance Sheet / Depreciation of an Asset purposes as far as I understand, not P&L, which is what FFP uses.

Obviously we can pay £10m upfront...not good for this coming year’s FFP.  That £10m is a debit in this year’s P&L....the length of contract is immaterial.

We could pay in instalments, good for this coming year’s FFP, but a millstone for future years.  Can’t inagine Preston or whoever won’t want the lion’s share if not all of it up front!

Etc,. 

No that’s not correct, I think you may be getting confused with the relationship between the balance sheet and P&L!  A transfer fee is amortised over the length of the contract so only a portion hits the P&L (and FFP) each year. Given allowable losses are £39m (over a rolling 3 year period) we have significant scope to add some quality.  Which is good news

1 minute ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

No that’s not correct, I think you may be getting confused with the relationship between the balance sheet and P&L!  A transfer fee is amortised over the length of he contract so only a portion hits the P&L (and FFP) each year. Given allowable losses are £39m (over a rolling 3 year period) we have significant scope to add some quality.  Which is good news

Actually you might be right :facepalm:, I was thinking about cash flow.  Glad i’m Not an accountant!

31 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

@Michael McIndoethoughts on Johnson (as a player) and Skuse? Who was the worst player you played with during your time here (they’ll probably never see this) :laugh: 

@BRISTOL86 Cole was an extremely talented, technical player who never really had a specific weakness. He was good at everything and had bags of energy. He probably could've done with a few more goals. Lee is a different type of player. Not as athletic as Cole or as aggressive. But it was an extremely good a distributing the ball quickly and never over completing things. So to play alongside him was good because I knew if I tried to make a run he would try to find me. You need these kinds of players in a team. Like Sven Eriksson said "You need both artists and soldiers to be successful." 

As far as the worst player goes...its a close first and second. Nick Carle and Peter Styvar.

33 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

How good was Basso. The most inspirational player I've ever seen at AG. The end of GJ was when he turned down that contract and froze himself out. 

Basso was fantastic at catching and shot stopping. Extremely agile. Basso's only downside was kicking off the deck. That was one of Gary's downfalls. If you p1ssed him off during contract talks you'd best have a good agent! 

Hi Michael, have you ever considered doing an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit? It's basically a Q&A that typically has a much broader scope of questions than a traditional interview or forum format. Not many professional footballers have done one before despite the fact that the football subreddit has over 700000 subscribers. Could be a great opportunity for you to promote the book. 

43 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

@BRISTOL86 Cole was an extremely talented, technical player who never really had a specific weakness. He was good at everything and had bags of energy. He probably could've done with a few more goals. Lee is a different type of player. Not as athletic as Cole or as aggressive. But it was an extremely good a distributing the ball quickly and never over completing things. So to play alongside him was good because I knew if I tried to make a run he would try to find me. You need these kinds of players in a team. Like Sven Eriksson said "You need both artists and soldiers to be successful." 

As far as the worst player goes...its a close first and second. Nick Carle and Peter Styvar.

Cole and Lee both got a lot of criticism on here for being negative or unexciting. Do you think supporters generally recognise useful footballers apart from top flair players?

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Madine’s DNA would be questionable to say the least.  Good back-to-goal Striker, but a springboard to promotion???

Taylor is not good enough imho.  Be surprised if he’s still here in the summer.

I have avoided making a snap decision on taylor to give him a chance, well I can now say in my opinion he flatters to deceive, could possibly make a half decent midfield player, but in the championship can't see him getting more than 5 maybe 6 goals a season, am a bit disappointed really as had high hopes for him.

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

I have avoided making a snap decision on taylor to give him a chance, well I can now say in my opinion he flatters to deceive, could possibly make a half decent midfield player, but in the championship can't see him getting more than 5 maybe 6 goals a season, am a bit disappointed really as had high hopes for him.

I think for what we paid for him we have had a very good return. 

To me Taylor looks to be very technically gifted but it just seems he doesn't quite fit into our system. Him and Reid as strikers is simply too lightweight. 

I think Taylor would make a great attacking midfielder.

Taylor is the kind of player thay needs a run in the team to really get going, unfortunately I just don't think he will get that run here because it's hard to fit him in.

The club have a an avowed transfer policy which seems to be paying off. I really think that anyone who thinks that the club will change horses midstream and start buying "names" for silly money, are going to be disappointed.

It's a numbers game at the moment, the club will be looking for squad players that can be rotated in to the team and off the bench, like for like. More young, hungry players who are good technically but can do their fair share.

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The club have a an avowed transfer policy which seems to be paying off. I really think that anyone who thinks that the club will change horses midstream and start buying "names" for silly money, are going to be disappointed.

It's a numbers game at the moment, the club will be looking for squad players that can be rotated in to the team and off the bench, like for like. More young, hungry players who are good technically but can do their fair share.

Not so sure @Port Said Red - LJ & MA have previously stated that they are always looking for players who will improve The Group (c)  so I don't see "buying big" (which presumably means equal to and exceeding our current record of c. £5m) as a problem specifically in the context of that statement. 

Surely it'd be naive to expect to strengthen with less experienced players?  

Archived