IGNORED

Kelly and Vyner

westred1

1 minute ago, westred1 said:

Set to sign long term contracts (source: the post)

Excellent news if true.

It'll be true.

Two promising defenders to come into the first team squad is excellent news as you say

The transfer wheels have started turning and the next 10 days or so will be busy time at AG.

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

As proven the past 24 hours that will never happen with us under the current regime !

Club have got very good value for 2 players who wanted away. We'd have been stupid not to accept the offers.

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

As proven the past 24 hours that will never happen with us under the current regime !

Bulletproof logic. We took Flint from mediocre League 1 player to top end Championship player, at a point where he'll barely get better, probably worse, and sold him for good money. We took Bobby Reid from struggling League 2 midfielder to one of the top scorers in the Championship, and sold him for huge money.

29 minutes ago, hodge said:

Club have got very good value for 2 players who wanted away. We'd have been stupid not to accept the offers.

But why did they want away? Why did they feel to progress their careers/earn more money they had to move away and couldn’t do it here? 

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I'm not disagreeing about selling them, just that any player will not make it to the top with us as WE WILL SELL THEM 

Clearly missed my point above

Agreed. And we aren’t ever going to the top if we sell our best players.

45 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Think they will both go right to the top, hopefully with us. As it stands I think Kelly is going to be first choice left back next season. However Vyner looks 4th choice centre back, so would require an injury or 2 to get games. Is Johnson planning on playing Vyner right back next season I wonder. No news of any right back targets.

Wouldn't worry about Vyner being in our plans. Not until January at least...

1 minute ago, RedM said:

But why did they want away? Why did they feel to progress their careers/earn more money they had to move away and couldn’t do it here? 

Bobby's is obvious PL move, even if Cardiff struggle, if he does well then he can earn another move to stay in the league. Also is probably on more than we could offer in wages, doesn't have to move to achieve this. Flint, Boro again probably blast us out of the water with how much we can offer in wages, much more likely to achieve promotion than we are given their resources and better squad they have (boro were already my choice to win the division). Like it or not we're a mid table team and punched above our weight for the majority of last season whereas boro were under performing for most of it and still made the play offs. 

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

Let's be honest we aren't going to be getting to the Prem anytime soon. Flint obviously thinks Boro have a better chance than us and offered him a lot more money. No brainer really.

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

Agreed. And we aren’t ever going to the top if we sell our best players.

Every club is a selling club unless you're one of the top teams in the country, our aim is to gradually keep improving the squad to put us in a position to compete. Opinions I've read on Webster seem he's not far off Flint's standard despite being around 6 years younger. I've watched bits and pieces of Marriott and think he can definitely make the step up. 

@hodge @Super, I understand both points, I really do as I have made exactly the same on other threads. The issue here, and I’m not saying either of you don’t get it, is that people still think we are promotion bound and we are in with a shot, due in part to some of our young players. My understanding is that @phantom is saying like I believe is that you cannot get even top end Championship if you sell at the first opportunity, never mind promotion. Other clubs will see us selling our assets and come in for easy pickings next year if we are in a similar situation

I understand it’s a pecking order, we are doing and have done the same to League One clubs. My point was why did Bobby refuse to sign a contract, what was so wrong he bailed out of the project and lost belief along with others. Yes I agree the move was perfect for him, Prem and location aren’t ever going to be better, but the money aside the move wasnt right for us. If I had a choice I would have both departed players lining up for us next year and move on others, Magnusson was different, he never really got going here but Flint and Bobby were first team regulars.

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm not disagreeing about selling them, just that any player will not make it to the top with us as WE WILL SELL THEM 

You are using completely flawed logic, perhaps deliberately.

Player A gets sold.

Player B is signed with a higher potential ability than Player A

After a few seasons Player B is sold

Player C is signed with a higher potential ability than Player B.

It is about improving the squad over time in a sustainable way, rather than mimicing Aston Villa or Derby.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

@hodge @Super, I understand both points, I really do as I have made exactly the same on other threads. The issue here, and I’m not saying either of you don’t get it, is that people still think we are promotion bound and we are in with a shot, due in part to some of our young players. My understanding is that @phantom is saying like I believe is that you cannot get even top end Championship if you sell at the first opportunity, never mind promotion. Other clubs will see us selling our assets and come in for easy pickings next year if we are in a similar situation

I understand it’s a pecking order, we are doing and have done the same to League One clubs. My point was why did Bobby refuse to sign a contract, what was so wrong he bailed out of the project and lost belief along with others. Yes I agree the move was perfect for him, Prem and location aren’t ever going to be better, but the money aside the move want right for us. If I had a choice I would have both departed players lining up for us next year and move on others, Magnússon was different, he never really got going here but Flint and Bobby were first team regulars.

That almost sounds like it's assuming football is played on paper. Or using FIFA/Football Manager stats. It isn't. Ask Aston Villa.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I understand it’s a pecking order, we are doing and have done the same to League One clubs. My point was why did Bobby refuse to sign a contract, what was so wrong he bailed out of the project and lost belief along with others. Yes I agree the move was perfect for him, Prem and location aren’t ever going to be better, but the money aside the move want right for us. If I had a choice I would have both departed players lining up for us next year and move on others, Magnússon was different, he never really got going here but Flint and Bobby were first team regulars.

£10m for a player with 12 months left on his contract and the second highest fee for a championship centre back 2nd only to someone who dropped from the premier league, this counts as easy pickings?

1 minute ago, hodge said:

£10m for a player with 12 months left on his contract and the second highest fee for a championship centre back 2nd only to someone who dropped from the premier league, this counts as easy pickings?

Easy as in we don’t seem to have put up much of a fight to keep them, or if we were selling to attract other bidders. Anyway it’s done now.

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

Why must something be wrong?

Perhaps he felt things were getting stale for him on a personal note, he's been at the club nearly 20 years.

Flint is one of the highest CB transfers ever in this league and we got an 8 digit fee for someone who has a year left on their deal

Hardly easy pickings.

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

That almost sounds like it's assuming football is played on paper. Or using FIFA/Football Manager stats. It isn't. Ask Aston Villa.

Interesting. I’ve never played either ( assume it’s a game), maybe I should take it up :laugh:, or are you saying I’d be crap at it?

1 minute ago, RedM said:

Easy as in we don’t seem to have put up much of a fight to keep them, or if we were selling to attract other bidders. Anyway it’s done now.

We've always said we have a price on every player, clubs are meeting it, with Bobby only other clubs interested seemed to be championship clubs at the £8m mark. Flint maybe could be argued however as said before I feel we had an agreement with him in his newest contract to let him leave if we didn't go up.  

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Also the second and third highest sales in our history.

I’m much more concerned with our ability to spend this money than negotiate the sales..

Just now, GrahamC said:

Also the second and third highest sales in our history.

I’m much more concerned with our ability to spend this money than negotiate the sales..

That’s what worries me too. Replacing with at least equal with what we have lost, or potentially better for less money. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Name a club that doesn’t sell there best players, outside of Man City there isn’t one in this country

• Admin
2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

You are using completely flawed logic, perhaps deliberately.

Player A gets sold.

Player B is signed with a higher potential ability than Player A

After a few seasons Player B is sold

Player C is signed with a higher potential ability than Player B.

It is about improving the squad over time in a sustainable way, rather than mimicing Aston Villa or Derby.

So give me an example @JamesBCFC when we have ever done this

You need to read what @RedM has written above

• Admin
2 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Bulletproof logic. We took Flint from mediocre League 1 player to top end Championship player, at a point where he'll barely get better, probably worse, and sold him for good money. We took Bobby Reid from struggling League 2 midfielder to one of the top scorers in the Championship, and sold him for huge money.

But that's my point, we bring players in improve them then sell them. 

We need to be keeping these players otherwise we're not going to improve 

Archived