IGNORED

Gone and not replaced

KeepUpLino

On 21/08/2018 at 19:20, KeepUpLino said:

This picture certainly tells a story... piss poor how the club haven’t replaced these players... piss poor!!! Could well see us relegated this year.

AEBA671B-073E-45A1-A1A5-A443D1D4034A.jpeg

Why did you take this picture in portrait? We don't need to see walls and floors.

Here, I've fixed it for you.

20180823_003253.jpg

On 21/08/2018 at 20:20, KeepUpLino said:

This picture certainly tells a story... piss poor how the club haven’t replaced these players... piss poor!!! Could well see us relegated this year.

AEBA671B-073E-45A1-A1A5-A443D1D4034A.jpeg

Am I missing something here? The only story this picture tells me is that you’re not remotely interested in anything approaching a balanced assessment of our summer transfer dealings.

”Not replaced” you say...

Reid - replaced by Wiemann, a well regarded player at this level who has 4 goals for us already

Dhiedhou - not even gone

Flint - replaced by Webster, a young and established Championship player well regarded at his previous club

Bryan - replaced by Da Silva in addition to the home grown Kelly, who did very well last season and shows great promise.

Presumably what you mean by “not replaced” is “we didn’t replace one £10m striker with another”. Well that’s because we’re an unremarkable second tier club with no recent history of success and no parachute payments - so why would a £10m striker want to come here? Recent history tells us that we fail when we try to recruit at that level - see Gray, Gayle.

Our failing was not making the most of the glorious position we found ourselves in at Christmas. But having failed to do that, it was almost inevitable that the players highlighted here would move on. They had essentially outgrown us - proved by the fact that they’ve moved to PL teams and a team that will almost certainly challenge for promotion this season. That is the harsh reality for most clubs - the better players move up. It is the same for clubs below us, where we become the destination for their better players. See Matty Taylor.

Time will tell if the players purchased are good enough. But that time is not after 4 league games.

Moan about last season’s failings, moan about the specific replacements purchased. But don’t say “not replaced” - because that’s clearly bollocks.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Am I missing something here? The only story this picture tells me is that you’re not remotely interested in anything approaching a balanced assessment of our summer transfer dealings.

Reid - replaced by Wiemann, a well regarded player at this level who has 4 goals for us already

Dhiedhou - not even gone

Flint - replaced by Webster, a young and established Championship player well regarded at his previous club

Bryan - replaced by Da Silva in addition to the home grown Kelly, who did very well last season and shows great promise.

Presumably what you mean by “not replaced” is “we didn’t replace one £10m striker with another”. Well that’s because we’re an unremarkable second tier club with no recent history of success and no parachute payments - so why would a £10m striker want to come here? Recent history tells us that we fail when we try to recruit at that level - see Gray, Gayle.

Our failing was not making the most of the glorious position we found ourselves in at Christmas. But having failed to do that, it was almost inevitable that the players highlighted here would move on. They had essentially outgrown us - proved by the fact that they’ve moved to PL teams and a team that will almost certainly challenge for promotion this season. That is the harsh reality for most clubs - the better players move up. It is the same for clubs below us, where we become the destination for their better players. See Matty Taylor.

Time will tell if the players purchased are good enough. But that time is not after 4 league games.

Moan about last season’s failings, moan about the specific replacements purchased. But don’t say “not replaced” - because that’s clearly bollocks.

An excellent post.

I wanted to respond with something similar, but would never have managed to put it so eloquently.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Dhiedhou - not even gone

Replaced but majority of those are not improvements or similar playing ability. Weimann though is filling BR’s boots nicely it seems, but long way to go 

Just now, Sturny said:

Replaced but majority of those are not improvements or similar playing ability. Weimann though is filling BR’s boots nicely it seems, but long way to go 

How can you claim that they’re not improvements when City have played just four games? 

Kelly can and has filled the LB vacancy. He can also play at CB. LJ has brought in Dasilva on a season longer loan, also to cover at LB.

Wiemann has four in four......

Webster is a better footballer than Flint ever was. He can bring the ball out, something big Aden couldnt do with his turning circle of a double decker bus......

6 minutes ago, Sturny said:

You’ve missed the point entirely. If we knew for certain they were improvements at this stage, we would have paid more for them than the players we sold, which simply isn’t realistic for a club in our position.

And anyway we don’t know yet whether they will turn out to be improvements in the medium to long term. Flint arrived from Swindon for peanuts. Entirely possible that Webster - already established at a higher level than Flint was when he came - might prove to be a highly valuable and improving asset. Kelly could easily prove to be the new Joe Bryan based on his early promise.

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You’ve missed the point entirely. If we knew for certain they were improvements at this stage, we would have paid more for them than the players we sold, which simply isn’t realistic for a club in our position.

And anyway we don’t know yet whether they will turn out to be improvements in the medium to long term. Flint arrived from Swindon for peanuts. Entirely possible that Webster - already established at a higher level than Flint was when he came - might prove to be a highly valuable and improving asset. Kelly could easily prove to be the new Joe Bryan based on his early promise.

I'm not saying it was doable to replace improvements immediately. Just being realistic that what we've signed currently isn't an improvement or similar playing ability. (bar Weimann by the looks) 

I'm fairly confident Webster and DaSilva aren't currently play off team / premier league ability like Flint / Bryan are. 

Pretty sure we're saying the same thing, people just seem to get triggered when you even DARE suggest DaSilva or Webster currently aren't as good as Flint or Bryan and then they go on to state the obvious... 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

How can you claim that they’re not improvements when City have played just four games? 

Kelly can and has filled the LB vacancy. He can also play at CB. LJ has brought in Dasilva on a season longer loan, also to cover at LB.

Webster is a better footballer than Flint ever was. He can bring the ball out, something big Aden couldnt do with his turning circle of a double decker bus......

Jesus Christ, have you had some good news today or something??

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

How can you state that after 4 games?

Maybe make a more considered appraisal after 20 games and then you will have some stats to back it up.

Weimann 4 in 4 isn’t a bad start and personally think Webster is a far better player than Flint was at 24 and a much better footballer

Kelly - I think the rave reviews from most on this forum speaks volumes as to whether he is a capable replacement for JB

2 minutes ago, INCRED said:

How can you state that after 4 games?

Maybe make a more considered appraisal after 20 games and then you will have some stats to back it up.

Weimann 4 in 4 isn’t a bad start and personally think Webster is a far better player than Flint was at 24 and a much better footballer

Kelly - I think the rave reviews from most on this forum speaks volumes as to whether he is a capable replacement for JB

It's my opinion/speculation. If you think Webster/DaSilva will achieve what Bryan/Flint have go ahead that's your opinion and that would be equal speculation of me saying they won't.  

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That’s what I and a few others basically said to him about Dasilva but apparently that counts as being ‘triggered’!

With your logic that you can't judge a player AT ALL having played 270~ minutes for us but people judged Diony for less the amount of minutes he played for us as some of these players. 

7 minutes ago, Sturny said:

With your logic that you can't judge a player AT ALL having played 270~ minutes for us but people judged Diony for less the amount of minutes he played for us as some of these players. 

Not really, you can get an initial impression but it won’t tell the whole story. Not enough to make a good comparison anyway.

RE: Diony I actually agree with that, hard to tell what he’s really capable of in the time he played. Lots of other context to consider with that deal too. Could’ve been a case of right player but wrong time - ideally we needed someone who could make an impact straight away.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Ohhhhhhhhhh

The hypocricy

Priceless

:laughcont:

:clapping:

Archived