IGNORED

International watch (merged)

Lanterne Rouge

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I seriously cannot remember a game in the last 12 months where I thought he contributed much at all.  I’m surprised Southgate persists with him.  Loftus-Cheek has done so much more in limited minutes imho.  I like the 352, it suits us I think, but Alli is a passenger, does little towards his own goal too.  We aren’t good enough against the better nations to carry a player who might get a goal, those are getting fewer and far between.

Then you get the same questions. Do you bring Dele Alli next time if he is on form for Tottenham or do you bring RLC who sometimes is not making Chelsea’s bench? The pool of players is already so small I am not sure you can drop players if they aren’t performing well for the country. 

Again, I agree he wasn’t great last night but not sure he was the biggest passenger and he is young enough to persist with imo. Just not sure there is better waiting to take over for Alli. I’d move him forward to behind the strikers where Lingard plays personally. Though even if dropped you still have Henderson who has his strengths but not good enough for top international level. Alli could be and rather that be tried than persisting with someone whos best attribute is a hobby done by millions who run marathons. Dele Alli a passenger but not England’s biggest problem in midfield. Should say I too like RLC and in an ideal world he’d be playing with Alli

For me, club form gets you into the squad, from that point it should be based more on what you do for England, and for me Alli has done nothing in the last 12 months or so to retain his place.  RLC has found his way into the squad, and has done more than enough to be ahead of Alli.

I do think Southgate thinks that Alli and Kane spark off of each other.  They do at Spurs, because Spurs are comparatively a better club side than England are as an international side, and they have Eriksen too...England don’t.  They don’t spark each other for England.  It’s frustrating because he is a talent...I do think he’s forgotten that he needs to work hard too.

You say you’d move him behind the strikers...is that in a 5212, ala Freeman in 14/15?

Also, I still think there is a snobbishness about England.  Despite making it a harder watch, I would rather we played a little less from the back last night, respecting Spain a bit more.  I didn’t get the “play out from the back’ inside our own 30, yet have 3 players stood on the h/w line, totally disengaged from the play.

Each to their own though!! ?

I don’t mind the playing out from the back. It is as much of a culture thing as it is anything else. England need to stick with it even after Southgate is gone. They need to be playing like that down all the youth levels. Trying to play out from the back will not always suit this squad but it is sending a message to the young ones that they will need to. I like that he is sticking to it and sod showing respect to Spain. They were unlucky not to get something from that game. Think some here are being a little over critical of the performance. England is still finding its way and everyone should support that. 

As for Alli @Davefevs I would move him forward for sure. Yes similar to the Freeman role but only mention it because don’t think England would move him further forward. Sometimes I think he’d be better paired with Kane. He has clever movement and a good finisher. Maybe would allow Kane to stay further forward instead of dropping to link play so much. Problem is then if you want a quick press as they both are not the quickest.

Like I said think England’s main problem is their best players don’t really fit the system yet. Struggling to get the best from Kane, Alli, Sterling and Rashford. The 3 CBs and wingbacks maybe prevent getting the best from the forward players. The balance is not quite right yet imo. I’d probably change formation to 433 but still with the philosphy to play out from the back. Tough though because it means a CB is benched and they have probably been the best performers since the start of the world cup

Don't get the "Spain are crap' line at all.

No loss in open play for them in over 2 years  at Euro 2016.  Their poor World Cup was largely down to a highly principled yet pretty stupid move to sack manager a day before WC and put a novice in charge.

Well managed again now, they're strong opponents- who IMO we were worth a draw against.

Moving forward, wouldn't mind at all a fluid 4-3-3, though the 3-5-2/3-4-3 is also a decent watch and has served us well!

1 hour ago, swampy said:

So this new exciting England era ... forgive me if I am wrong but is it played 8 games?  Won 2 and lost 5 and drawn 1?  Or is dementia ... 

Of our 8 games since the start of the World Cup, we’ve won three inside 90 minutes (Tunisia, Panama and Sweden), lost three inside 90 minutes (Belgium twice and Spain), lost one after extra time (Croatia) and won one on penalties after drawing at full time and extra time (Colombia). So not quite ‘won 2, lost 5’. 

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Ben Chilwell has been promoted from the U21 squad, anyone think that Kelly might get promoted to the U21s to replace him?

Nope, I think LK has been playing Centre half for the U20s - that combined with the limited time he’s played at championship level, notwithstanding how good he is, would make a call up to the U21 as LB a long shot. Da Silva more likely.

On a related note, although good players, calling up Chilwell and Gray for a non sold out (at this point) game at the King Power reeks of the Matt Hewlett’s to me...

Courtesy of the red button, I've just had a quick look at games other than England's that are taking place tonight.

Hungary v Greece; you can hear some spectators, but three sides of the ground are completely empty! The spectators are behind the one TV camera there.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

This England performance is awful. Why does Southgate persist with this 532 formation. We have too many players in defence, 2 forwards that are isolated from the rest of the side. No width without any wingers. So poor.

Probably because it got us to a World Cup semi-final. I don't care who we played, we lost to Iceland in 2016 and couldn't even beat Algeria in 2010!

Also one of those "no-width" players made more chances than anyone else in that World Cup. And another set up our goal tonight!

England fans are a funny bunch aren't they

Just now, JonDolman said:

I just think we could be much better if we play a system like man city or liverpool. 433. We are trying to be more like them with our style without being anything like them because of the formation he uses.

We don't have the players though do we? We're very weak in central midfield, so we make up for it with an extra man at the back and only need one player back helping out. You really think this England team's style is as bad as it has been for the last 10 years?

20 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Read it as a tactical change, I think they went to 3 at the back.

That's good news, I'd seen some mention of a possible injury on twitter and was surprised it hadn't been mentioned here, I'd expected at least 5 pages of how injury prone it made him and what a terrible signing he's turned out to be and how everyone ought to be ashamed of themselves :)

4 hours ago, The Chaplain said:

Didn't he come off after 46 mins?  Injury, precaution, rest?

Possibly for a nice lie down and a chat with his psycho-analyst  He can't have experienced being in side 3 down after 29 mintes too often?  Yep he came off at half time..tactical switch apparently.....so it's good to hear it wasn't an injury.

Archived