IGNORED

Do the honourable thing.

cidered abroad

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Looking at our wage bill I think you underestimate some wages

Me too. The 5-10k should probably read at least 10-15k per week. And CoD, an International isn’t going to be on ‘not much’, no way.

Jeez.........this type of thread are soooo boring...............:sleeping:

LJ isn’t going to resign, nor get sacked anytime soon - he’s not going anywhere.....ffs.......:disapointed2se:

Accept it and put up with it.

Why bother to create yet another anti LJ thread?  It’s completely pointless.

28 minutes ago, RedM said:

Wasn’t it announced last time at a Q&A around Christmas time or something? I remember we were going through a lean patch and the news was totally out of the blue and the timing was terrible?

Not really, we'd won a few and lost a few over the season- think we had just beaten Ipswich and it was earlyish December- lean patch, well maybe but we were 11th in the League and closer to playoffs than drop zone and had a reasonable Cup run- no real questioning of his position at that time.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not really, we'd won a few and lost a few over the season- think we had just beaten Ipswich and it was earlyish December- lean patch, well maybe but we were 11th in the League and closer to playoffs than drop zone and had a reasonable Cup run- no real questioning of his position at that time.

Good memory

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38257893

23 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

I do think it is illogical to believe he will or should resign. Yes he does not need the money but i don't think that is why he is a manager. However much we think his time has come, he must have the self belief he can fix it. I personally think he is a genuine hardworking manager,, who really believes he can crack the code like Eddie Howe. Maybe he can, be if he learns from his mistakes here. 

Not just that, but the point is he has no reason to resign. He’s employed by BCFC to be their coach until such time that they decide to terminate his contact or it reaches its natural conclusion  

Why on earth should he resign? It’s nonsensical. 

17 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

I do think it is illogical to believe he will or should resign. Yes he does not need the money but i don't think that is why he is a manager. However much we think his time has come, he must have the self belief he can fix it. I personally think he is a genuine hardworking manager,, who really believes he can crack the code like Eddie Howe. Maybe he can, be if he learns from his mistakes here. 

I don't care if he resigns or sacked as long as he's gone, but don't really think SL will sack him, unless SL  doesn't get the backing from other board members, but we can only hope, 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ isn’t going to resign, nor get sacked anytime soon - he’s not going anywhere.....ffs.......:disapointed2se:

I'm sorry to say I agree with you, I hate saying it but he's a CHEAP option, he'll get us relegated before getting the sack, YES MR LANDSDOWN 

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Did look up the specifics but had a feeling he was more in credit at that time than in debit- it was less than 2 months prior that he was being linked to Villa, yes we had lost in November but overall still a reasonable season with room for growth (at that time).

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe it was more timing in the fact that he hasn’t been here that long, only a few months into his contact and he was offered quite an unexpected extension maybe without having yet proved himself? I know at the time it was greeting with surprise and disbelief, some people thought it wasn’t immediately true etc.

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

To be fair 

He loves the Club

’ Johnson stated that: "I love the club, the new contract extension makes me feel valued by the owner and the board. I know I will get it right and that I will be given time to do that, at what is a fantastic club’

Ah bless, give the lad another four years .

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

Maybe it was more timing in the fact that he hasn’t been here that long, only a few months into his contact and he was offered quite an unexpected extension maybe without having yet proved himself? I know at the time it was greeting with surprise and disbelief, some people thought it wasn’t immediately true etc.

Perhaps SL was worried about approaches from other clubs- tie down quick, strike while iron hot etc.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

Think that’s spot on M

as usual :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Sorry if I confused you or anyone else Major

That was his words when signing a new contract at ........uhmmmm...

Oldham

11 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

I don't care if he resigns or sacked as long as he's gone, but don't really think SL will sack him, unless SL  doesn't get the backing from other board members, but we can only hope, 

I think we got to be realistic here. He won’t resign and SL won’t sack him, so we all limp on together. That’s just how it works, accept that and forget about talk of new managers. 

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Robbered

This is not a boring thread, it is an interesting discussion on modern managers and resignations - and if when or should they do such a thing. Our management situation has stimulated the thread, but the issues covered so far go wider than LJ. I know you have not worked this out, yet but a football social chat site, can provide an interesting way to discuss issues that are tangentially related to what is going on in our football club. The only boring thing on OTIB, is your arrogance and the disdain you treat other peoples posts.

4 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Robbered

This is not a boring thread, it is an interesting discussion on modern managers and resignations - and if when or should they do such a thing. Our management situation has stimulated the thread, but the issues covered so far go wider than LJ. I know you have not worked this out, yet but a football social chat site, can provide an interesting way to discuss issues that are tangentially related to what is going on in our football club. The only boring thing on OTIB, is your arrogance and the disdain you treat other peoples posts.

Oh no, I just realised I have just posted pretty much what @Robboredhad written without even reading it! But I’m not bored of the discussion, in fact it’s a good one. 

• Admin
9 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think we got to be realistic here. He won’t resign and SL won’t sack him, so we all limp on together. That’s just how it works, accept that and forget about talk of new managers. 

Can only agree with this, my point further up about any financial consequences for him, were in no way suggesting that would be a reason he’d resign, indeed, why would he, who knows what conversations go on behind closed doors, he may well feel he is on track and has no pressure from above?  Of course, he could have objectives he isn’t meeting and at some point there must be consequences in any job of not meeting set objectives, that could mean being sacked, moved sideways or even your boss lowering expectations if they are unrealistic.

As we have no idea of his target, how his performance is being measured by SL/the board and if they are satisfied or not, all we can do is speculate and discuss, which surely is the point of a forum.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

And also when people ( not you) counter argue that they only have a short career it makes my blood boil. Footballers probably earn 10 times what ‘ordinary’ people do, if I’m expected to fund myself for a year on my wages then surely a footballer should be able to fund himself for 10 years? 

Spot on , I'd love a " short career on £10k plus a week rather than a long one on well no where near that amount per week ..

37 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

To be fair 

He loves the Club

’ Johnson stated that: "I love the club, the new contract extension makes me feel valued by the owner and the board. I know I will get it right and that I will be given time to do that, at what is a fantastic club’

Just to play Devil's advocate, should we all stop blaming Johnson and point the finger at Lansdown, who's refusal to part with cash for big names/wages and really make a push for the Prem is the reason we're in this position?

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Looking at our wage bill I think you underestimate some wages

No I think we pay decent. The 5-10k was the lowest I think some of the squad is on. I reckon our wage bill has gone up this season too. If you look at who left and who was brought in, there is probably a large increase. Webster probably making less than Flint was but not by much. Weimann probably 15-20k a week which would be much more than Reid. Wouldn’t surprise me if Dasilva is on a bit more than bryan was. Wage bill just adds up quickly. 

• Admin
35 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Spot on , I'd love a " short career on £10k plus a week rather than a long one on well no where near that amount per week ..

Out of interest I just looked up the average wage, as of April 18 the median wage was £569 PW according to the ONS.  So at £10K PW, that s nearly 18 times the national average and wages like are skewing the national average, so I guess many are struggling along on less than that.  Puts it all into perspective really.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/bulletins/annualsurveyofhoursandearnings/2018

15 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Just to play Devil's advocate, should we all stop blaming Johnson and point the finger at Lansdown, who's refusal to part with cash for big names/wages and really make a push for the Prem is the reason we're in this position?

The roles of SL , MA etc are of course all relevant and debateable UE

But poor selections, muddled confused tactics and style of play, management of players lay solely at the door of LJ and his two lieutenants IMO and all this, and the current state of affairs after having inherited some very decent players ,  5 transfer windows , three years , a turnover of at least 50 odd players and thousands of hours of training ground, warm weather camps and pre season camps.......hmmmmmmmmm

Add recruitment (Still a major flaw in terms of performance and in matching any playing ethos / plan) of which LJ has at the least , a major part 

If LJ does go.....will we learn and make this a crossroads where we make the right decision on where we go from here ?......

Not sure at all we will but that’s for another day and I don’t see that concern as a viable reason to stick with the current Head Coach

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

My view is he should go but I believe he worked incredibly hard to make us successful and I respect him for that - and for SL for being a supportive chairman. You have to know when it is not going to work, and I think that time is now. 

I think every manager is entitled to a bad patch, but how many bad patches do you need to have before you need to be moved on?

He seems committed to the club and probably doesn't earn a fortune in footballing terms, so there are good reasons to keep him, but on the other hand, we seem to be going backwards and he doesn't seem to have any idea how to resolve it.

You also need to consider the amount of talent that he was effectively forced to sell in the close season.

19 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Out of interest I just looked up the average wage, as of April 18 the median wage was £569 PW according to the ONS.  So at £10K PW, that s nearly 18 times the national average and wages like are skewing the national average, so I guess many are struggling along on less than that.  Puts it all into perspective really.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/bulletins/annualsurveyofhoursandearnings/2018

Somehow successive governments have created a low wage economy, with a small percentage of the super rich. Top level footballers are part of that trend.

Archived