IGNORED

Humble pie for new year

keynshamred

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I read post 8 onwards....didn’t see a post that asked for ‘anyone but LJ’ like you claimed....so I’ve come ‘back to you’...

Thats the section you’ve missed out on post 8:

Luv to see the back of him....unfortunately I have not much hope of SL picking anyone better next time........hey wait a minute anyone would be better.

Which is actually 2/3rds of the post, so god knows how you ‘didn’t see’ it...

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

One thing I have got out of this thread. Is that Davefevs needs to change his name to Statto Davefevs some cracking posts of late . 

For what it’s worth I’m truly on the fence with LJ . So fickle me . 

Also prefer LJ the coach to LJ the player . Funny old game 

…and possibly buy himself a dressing gown :travolta:

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Thats the section you’ve missed out on post 8:

Luv to see the back of him....unfortunately I have not much hope of SL picking anyone better next time........hey wait a minute anyone would be better.

Which is actually 2/3rds of the post, so god knows how you ‘didn’t see’ it...

Apologies, I did miss that one comment...fair enough...but you were suggesting by your comments that there was an ‘anyone is better than LJ’ consensus on here and it doesn’t seem that way to me....plenty don’t rate him as a head coach but to say they’d just take ‘anyone’ else in his stead doesn’t seem accurate...

15 hours ago, keynshamred said:

Maybe he praises them in house, how would you know? I know he think alot of them and has said on countless occasions. If he isn't happy he should tell them. Nothing wrong with that. About Kelly, maybe he is protecting the player, why would he come out and talk about it. He wants him to stay. If a high bid comes in from a big club he will go! 

Don't worry yourself with his ways. He is our manager and a former player that loves the club. If he wants to be arogant then good on him!!  End of the day he is a top person and enjoys working at Bristol city!! 

Nice objective post!

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apologies, I did miss that one comment...fair enough...but you were suggesting by your comments that there was an ‘anyone is better than LJ’ consensus on here and it doesn’t seem that way to me....plenty don’t rate him as a head coach but to say they’d just take ‘anyone’ else in his stead doesn’t seem accurate..

As far as I can see there is certainly no such consensus, though there does appear to be a small minority who dislike him regardless of what he does, but that would probably be true of most managers/coaches. It's just a bit more extreme because of who he is perhaps.

Personally I tend to disregard extreme views in either direction as things are rarely black and white.

7 hours ago, real_bristol said:

Help me with this. Let’s start with the arrogance. How well do you know him? I think he’s a bit cocky, no doubt a trait he inherited from his father who was always quick to give himself a pat on the back, but to me arrogance is manifested by someone who doesn’t have a clue what they’re on about when they’re convinced they know it all.

Here’s a couple of links from today’s post match interviews

Any arrogance in there. I don’t think so, just a lad that talks a lot of sense to me who can have a laugh with is players at the same ne time as motivating them.

Transfers - in terms of players out, any of the big 3 his decision? Probably not.

in terms of players in here’s an article from the Post

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-transfers-lee-johnson-2228745.amp

I counted 30 of his 47 signings that have had a significant run in the first team or are enjoying successful loan spells at present 63%. Of the 17 that haven’t “made it” there’s a lot of young ones in there that we obviously took a chance with so probably didn’t cost the club too much to bring in or let go with the exception being Engvall who I’m led to believe was struggling being away from home. I’d be interested in your opinion as to why this activity is considered poor. Ive also not outlined players that have been outstanding (IMO) e.g. Brownhill, COD, Webster, Abraham etc

With regards to poor football this is one I can almost agree with you on. However, certainly in the last 8 we’ve played defensively and perhaps ugly when we’ve needed to. I think this season we’re building from the back. Our defence looks pretty strong despite the departure of Flint and Bryan and I believe we’re more adaptable to the opposition now compared to how we have been in previous seasons under LJ when we sometimes played “pretty” football for 90 minutes and lost. We need to be versatile in this division. 

Im not trying to have a row I’m just wondering if you’d back up your comments. Particularly the arrogant one ? 

Arrogance v Cocky?  Not a lot in it.  You’ve picked two interviews out of a sample of 3 years.  There have been plenty where I think he has just gone over the boundary and made himself look arrogant.  Even in the last week, comparing interest in Lloyd Kelly to when he was playing....come on Lee....if clubs were fighting for you, why did you follow your Dad or end up at Kilmarnock!!

Re Transfers, have a look at this.

CBFEAD84-CA6F-4E8E-B72C-3367EA457477.thumb.png.dfaff01de65003bee4b0a9f92d521752.png

If you take Flint and Bryan (who weren’t his signings), he’s running at a significant loss.  I’m giving him Reid because it was him that converted him to striker.

None of the above includes loans.

Abraham a success.

Giefer, Leko, Kent, Diony, Woodrow, etc....pretty epic fails.

To quote 63% success is setting a very low bar....perhaps low enough for LJ himself to Fosbury Flop!

3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

One thing I have got out of this thread. Is that Davefevs needs to change his name to Statto Davefevs some cracking posts of late . 

For what it’s worth I’m truly on the fence with LJ . So fickle me . 

Also prefer LJ the coach to LJ the player . Funny old game 

Was my old nickname!

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

…and possibly buy himself a dressing gown :travolta:

Who knows what i’m wearing as I post!!

13 hours ago, Oops said:

The pompous crap posted on here day in, day out needs a bit of perspective. 

Of the many City fans I know at work, matches/ socially etc.

When OTIB is mentioned there’s a deep sigh and eyes are generally rolled. 

The same 15 or 20 nuggets who post here on every topic, every day, no matter whether we win, lose or draw.

The desperate need for controversy, cringeworthy puns or Gas bashing; seeking some kind of validation for likes, or reacting badly to an aubergine emoji.

congratulations! Your “hard work” is now a regular topic of ridicule amongst the non-forum/ social media hungry section of the fan base. (99.5%)

And long may it continue ?

Do you let on to them you've been posting on OTIB for 8+ years?

That you're one of the 0.5% they apparently ridicule?

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Arrogance v Cocky?  Not a lot in it.  You’ve picked two interviews out of a sample of 3 years.  There have been plenty where I think he has just gone over the boundary and made himself look arrogant.  Even in the last week, comparing interest in Lloyd Kelly to when he was playing....come on Lee....if clubs were fighting for you, why did you follow your Dad or end up at Kilmarnock!!

CBFEAD84-CA6F-4E8E-B72C-3367EA457477.thumb.png.dfaff01de65003bee4b0a9f92d521752.png

If you take Flint and Bryan (who weren’t his signings), he’s running at a significant loss.  I’m giving him Reid because it was him that converted him to striker.

Abraham a success.

To quote 63% success is setting a very low bar....perhaps low enough for LJ himself to Fosbury Flop!

Was my old nickname!

Oooo kinky 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Abraham a success.

Was my old nickname!

#Sartorial Elegance :preacher:

The-Rake-NL-feature-1200x801.jpg

22 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apologies, I did miss that one comment...fair enough...but you were suggesting by your comments that there was an ‘anyone is better than LJ’ consensus on here and it doesn’t seem that way to me....plenty don’t rate him as a head coach but to say they’d just take ‘anyone’ else in his stead doesn’t seem accurate...

Like Red Army I’m nuetral but also patient with LJ largely because a) he’s here long term b) he needs time to get SLs strategy working smoothly and recent results have suggested that he’s heading in the right direction.

I think I understand  why some posters  still want him replaced but as long as he continues to show signs of progression replacing him ain’t gonna happen.

I got no problem with that.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Abraham a success.

Was my old nickname!

I wonder about recruitment success rates for clubs in general and whether there are any stats on that, assuming there is a plausible way of measuring it.

Even Sir Alex signed his fair share of duds, plus some top players who didn't work out.

With your new found status as official OTIB statistician I expect you to provide an analysis now. In your own time of course. ?

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I wonder about recruitment success rates for clubs in general and whether there are any stats on that, assuming there is a plausible way of measuring it.

Even Sir Alex signed his fair share of duds, plus some top players who didn't work out.

With your new found status as official OTIB statistician I expect you to provide an analysis now. In your own tim

I think it’s been shown that 47 Transfers isn’t a huge number, about the average.  I think the biggest gripe is the amount we’ve wasted....which for those who just go by net spend, is not really taking the right factors into account.

Ive just started updating the strikers Goals per minute spreadsheet.  I’ll be back!

16 hours ago, keynshamred said:

No reason why we can't build on these 8 games now and push for the top 6

But, we sold Bobby Reid and Flint, and Bryan? That's a "reason," isn't it?

And, we don't have parachute payments and Stoke and Swansea do, so we cannot compete with them, that's another reason. Isn't it?

And we have not spent fortunes like Forest, who have won the European Cup, and are famous, and we are not famous, and haven't won the European Cup, so cannot hope to compete with them, so that's another "reason" we cannot "push for the top six," surely?

And the players we have this season are just a midtable lot, plain and simple, another factor to be reckoned with.

And geography - we are where we are - that's another "reason," I think I read somewhere?

And our "natural position" is something like 14th in this division - our history tells us so - therefore that must surely be a "reason" why you are deluded to declare there are now, forthwith, from this point on, no excuses, sorry "reasons," why we "can't .... push for the top six"?

Oh, and our dismal supporters - the worst fanbase in the country - don't forget us! We are the "reason" top players won't come here, along with the geography, and the "reason" why our form and performances at home is sluggish and soporific and unwatchable. Ignore this "reason" at your peril!

I think there are more "reasons," if I could just remember them ..... oh yes, we have a young group, a new group, no leaders..........injuries! What about injuries?

Please, mate, please leave room for at least one reason why, if this season fizzles out in a fug of mediocrity and apathy and no "push" for "the top six" materialises, we can turn to that "reason" and cling to it like an infant clings to a soft toy and comfort ourselves that if it wasn't for xyz "reason" we would be up there with the Bournemouth, Cardiff and Huddersfields of this world, and not down here in the Championship wedged between the Stoke Citys and the Aston Villas. 

18 hours ago, steveybadger said:

I agree with the sentiments in terms of results and personally with the job LJ is doing, but this post is just pointlessly antagonistic. 

Quite the norm though, we are on the nemesis inferno roller coaster ride with LJ as usual, slowly but surely over the past 8 games (after 4 straight defeats of course) striving to get to the top, only to come hurtling down on the next disappointing run, which we know is inevitably around the corner.

However perhaps with some midfield quality this window, we can be more organised and create more chances and keep our disappointing runs to minimum. Let's hope that LJ just like many of his supporters don't believe that there is no long term problem with our midfield for the 3rd January running and ignore it.

Our form at the start of last season and the last 8 games this season proves how close we can come to having consistency, but as I said most of us are waiting for the next inevitable blip.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s been shown that 47 Transfers isn’t a huge number, about the average.  I think the biggest gripe is the amount we’ve wasted....which for those who just go by net spend, is not really taking the right factors into account.

Ive just started updating the strikers Goals per minute spreadsheet.  I’ll be back!

Thanks. Regardless of the number of signings a given club makes I do wonder what the average success rate is.

If for instance you take sell on value as a proxy it might be that, say, the average is below 50%, though of course you really need a range of measures (appearances, goals and so on).

Either way I suspect the average across clubs would be a long way short of 100%!

12 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Quite the norm though, we are on the nemesis inferno roller coaster ride with LJ as usual, slowly but surely over the past 8 games (after 4 straight defeats of course) striving to get to the top, only to come hurtling down on the next disappointing run, which we know is inevitably around the corner.

However perhaps with some midfield quality this window, we can be more organised and create more chances and keep our disappointing runs to minimum. Let's hope that LJ just like many of his supporters don't believe that there is no long term problem with our midfield for the 3rd January running and ignore it.

Our form at the start of last season and the last 8 games this season proves how close we can come to having consistency, but as I said most of us are waiting for the next inevitable blip.

I’m very happy with our latest run, but history under LJ tells us he averages P11 W4 D3 L4, however that manifests. So how does P8 W4 D4 L0 fit in?  Very nicely, because you could easily say it’s P12 W4 D4 L4. ?

I really hope that he is about to break his “norm”.

His best unbeaten run is 10 games (W4 D6), we all know the losing run!!

His next best was 6 games until this run.

He’s got a real chance to put a bit of pressure on the top 6 with Bolton at home next up.

The players should be confident.  No need to change too much.

32 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Do you let on to them you've been posting on OTIB for 8+ years?

That you're one of the 0.5% they apparently ridicule?

It would appear so.

Don't be so defensive, some of your 20,000 posts might well be worth reading.

But I was referring to the 'hardcore' 15 or 20 constant attention whore posters who seem to hijack every topic.

Still, that's what the ignore button is for, eh? :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m very happy with our latest run, but history under LJ tells us he averages P11 W4 D3 L4, however that manifests. So how does P8 W4 D4 L0 fit in?  Very nicely, because you could easily say it’s P12 W4 D4 L4. ?

I really hope that he is about to break his “norm”.

His best unbeaten run is 10 games (W4 D6), we all know the losing run!!

His next best was 6 games until this run.

He’s got a real chance to put a bit of pressure on the top 6 with Bolton at home next up.

The players should be confident.  No need to change too much.

And I agree, but we definitely lack quality, discipline, creativity and organisation in midfield and that has been apparent for 3 years, some people are holding on to the excuse of the Smith injury but conveniently forget that from January to May Smith, Pack and Brownhill formed our midfield as they did during our record losing run, we need quality.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And I agree, but we definitely lack quality, discipline, creativity and organisation in midfield and that has been apparent for 3 years, some people are holding on to the excuse of the Smith injury but conveniently forget that from January to May Smith, Pack and Brownhill formed our midfield as they did during our record losing run, we need quality.

I’ve said that Johnson should use the resources he has, but if there was a genuinely top midfielder he could bring in up to £5m I would let him go for it.

16 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Perhaps Walsh in a '3' could change things. We looked pretty good 2nd half in a '3' with Brownhill and Pack 2nd half v Stoke at home. Dominant in fact.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps Walsh in a '3' could change things. We looked pretty good 2nd half in a '3' with Brownhill and Pack 2nd half v Stoke at home. Dominant in fact.

When our midfield works it can be impressive, individually they are all good players, however without that early goal the discipline and organisation goes and Brownhill and Pack and or Smith get caught out ahead of the ball far too often leaving us vulnerable to a ball over the top straight down the middle leaving no protection to our defence. If teams can hold us until halftimeish inevitably our midfield will crack.

Walsh isn't the answer at the moment, although to be fair neither he nor Morrell have been given a fair opportunity

18 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

When our midfield works it can be impressive, individually they are all good players, however without that early goal the discipline and organisation goes and Brownhill and Pack and or Smith get caught out ahead of the ball far too often leaving us vulnerable to a ball over the top straight down the middle leaving no protection to our defence. If teams can hold us until halftimeish inevitably our midfield will crack.

Walsh isn't the answer at the moment, although to be fair neither he nor Morrell have been given a fair opportunity

Neither of them have been given a good opportunity as you say.

I'll be in a minority (potentially of one or two) here but actually think Hegeler deeper in a 3 had he been fit etc might have been an alright idea- provided he had been given the role to sit and sit deep between the defence and midfield. Pack could play that deeper role perhaps but that would stifle his creativity? Walsh doesn't strike me as the one who can sit so deep- unsure a central '2' or the current style is the long term solution though. Still I liked what I saw with Brownhill, Pack and Walsh v Stoke but it has imperfections.

38 minutes ago, Oops said:

It would appear so.

Don't be so defensive, some of your 20,000 posts might well be worth reading.

But I was referring to the 'hardcore' 15 or 20 constant attention whore posters who seem to hijack every topic.

Still, that's what the ignore button is for, eh? :thumbsup:

I have to agree with this .

I wonder how many of the "Attention seeking whores" actually watch the game live at Ashton gate regularly.

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Neither of them have been given a good opportunity as you say.

I'll be in a minority (potentially of one or two) here but actually think Hegeler deeper in a 3 had he been fit etc might have been an alright idea- provided he had been given the role to sit and sit deep between the defence and midfield. Pack could play that deeper role perhaps but that would stifle his creativity? Walsh doesn't strike me as the one who can sit so deep- unsure a central '2' or the current style is the long term solution though. Still I liked what I saw with Brownhill, Pack and Walsh v Stoke but it has imperfections.

Hegeler was too slow and thought like many foreign footballers who don't thrive in the English leagues, that he was still playing in his native league, where time on the ball is the norm and the play is slower, he was another punt that never worked out.

Pack nor Smith have the discipline to sit for 90 minutes, as I said hold us until haltimeish and eventually they will both inevitably be caught out when an attacking move breaks down ahead of the ball.

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

But, we sold Bobby Reid and Flint, and Bryan? That's a "reason," isn't it?

And, we don't have parachute payments and Stoke and Swansea do, so we cannot compete with them, that's another reason. Isn't it?

And we have not spent fortunes like Forest, who have won the European Cup, and are famous, and we are not famous, and haven't won the European Cup, so cannot hope to compete with them, so that's another "reason" we cannot "push for the top six," surely?

And the players we have this season are just a midtable lot, plain and simple, another factor to be reckoned with.

And geography - we are where we are - that's another "reason," I think I read somewhere?

And our "natural position" is something like 14th in this division - our history tells us so - therefore that must surely be a "reason" why you are deluded to declare there are now, forthwith, from this point on, no excuses, sorry "reasons," why we "can't .... push for the top six"?

Oh, and our dismal supporters - the worst fanbase in the country - don't forget us! We are the "reason" top players won't come here, along with the geography, and the "reason" why our form and performances at home is sluggish and soporific and unwatchable. Ignore this "reason" at your peril!

I think there are more "reasons," if I could just remember them ..... oh yes, we have a young group, a new group, no leaders..........injuries! What about injuries?

Please, mate, please leave room for at least one reason why, if this season fizzles out in a fug of mediocrity and apathy and no "push" for "the top six" materialises, we can turn to that "reason" and cling to it like an infant clings to a soft toy and comfort ourselves that if it wasn't for xyz "reason" we would be up there with the Bournemouth, Cardiff and Huddersfields of this world, and not down here in the Championship wedged between the Stoke Citys and the Aston Villas. 

They are all valid reasons yeah. Why shouldn't he use a few of those? He's not a miracle worker, he is working within his means with no large parachute payment and trying to blood youngsters gradually. There is alot of reason for optism unlike the 30 odd other years I have had a season ticket. He is hardly failing us, putting us in debt or getting in a relegation battle. Building gradually towards are goal of the promised land.

Lansdown has done wonders for this club and if its good enough for him, it's good enough for me and many others. Try supporting an Ipswich, Reading even Stoke who are alot bigger clubs with a bigger fanbase. He has made us an astonished champ club!! 

37 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Hegeler was too slow and thought like many foreign footballers who don't thrive in the English leagues, that he was still playing in his native league, where time on the ball is the norm and the play is slower, he was another punt that never worked out.

Pack nor Smith have the discipline to sit for 90 minutes, as I said hold us until haltimeish and eventually they will both inevitably be caught out when an attacking move breaks down ahead of the ball.

Don't think he (Hegeler) ever got a proper run in that position but we'll agree to disagree on him. German League actually pretty quick- certainly closest to English Leagues speed and pressing wise.

Smith doesn't, Pack may or may not but would be wasted there tbh. Walsh?

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't think he (Hegeler) ever got a proper run in that position but we'll agree to disagree on him. German League actually pretty quick- certainly closest to English Leagues speed and pressing wise.

Smith doesn't, Pack may or may not but would be wasted there tbh. Walsh?

They are all in their way talented players but none IMHO are disciplined enough to play there for 90 minutes and worst of all none of them are organisers who can make sure there is always cover.

With what we currently have I would personally when fit play Smith as the holding midfielder and make it plain to him that he is disciplined and if he goes forward Pack is instructed to drop in, do not leave it to chance, I would also drop Paterson and play Brownhill in his position, Brownhill is a far better player, can pick a pass better, is a better finisher and most crucially can actually tackle it would be like actually playing with 11 players for a change and I would use either Morrell or Walsh, but ideally I would rather see some actual quality in that position and yet again it should be our January objective to find that player, my problem is I don't think LJ believes that he has a problem in that area.

Archived