IGNORED

Humble pie for new year

keynshamred

2 hours ago, Oops said:

It would appear so.

Don't be so defensive, some of your 20,000 posts might well be worth reading.

But I was referring to the 'hardcore' 15 or 20 constant attention whore posters who seem to hijack every topic.

Still, that's what the ignore button is for, eh? :thumbsup:

The problem is the posters who say that they want discussion (the main reason the board exists) but then won't discuss only abuse or it's their view or no view.

I remain exactly where I was the day LJ joined us as manager, unconvinced. 

Unconvinced at times by team selections, substitutions, tactics, signings and 'identity'.

There have been some great runs and great displays, there have been some abysmal runs and piss poor displays, it has been a roller coaster, my hope is that maybe this run will lead to more stability and consistency, but I believe to find that we need an injection of quality and not punts>

28 minutes ago, keynshamred said:

They are all valid reasons yeah. Why shouldn't he use a few of those? He's not a miracle worker, he is working within his means with no large parachute payment and trying to blood youngsters gradually. There is alot of reason for optism unlike the 30 odd other years I have had a season ticket. He is hardly failing us, putting us in debt or getting in a relegation battle. Building gradually towards are goal of the promised land.

Lansdown has done wonders for this club and if its good enough for him, it's good enough for me and many others. Try supporting an Ipswich, Reading even Stoke who are alot bigger clubs with a bigger fanbase. He has made us an astonished champ club!! 

Here, here sir!

Agree with every word, particularly the last four....

On 02/01/2019 at 03:22, Davefevs said:

Arrogance v Cocky?  Not a lot in it.  You’ve picked two interviews out of a sample of 3 years.  There have been plenty where I think he has just gone over the boundary and made himself look arrogant.  Even in the last week, comparing interest in Lloyd Kelly to when he was playing....come on Lee....if clubs were fighting for you, why did you follow your Dad or end up at Kilmarnock!!

Re Transfers, have a look at this.

CBFEAD84-CA6F-4E8E-B72C-3367EA457477.thumb.png.dfaff01de65003bee4b0a9f92d521752.png

If you take Flint and Bryan (who weren’t his signings), he’s running at a significant loss.  I’m giving him Reid because it was him that converted him to striker.

None of the above includes loans.

Abraham a success.

Giefer, Leko, Kent, Diony, Woodrow, etc....pretty epic fails.

To quote 63% success is setting a very low bar....perhaps low enough for LJ himself to Fosbury Flop!

Was my old nickname!

Who knows what i’m wearing as I post!!

Superb Dave.

I think there is. Cocky shows cofindence and I think socially it’s acceptable when we see younger players act that way so why not managers. Arrogance shows delusion and it’s a trait we can attribute to many a sad sag when they bring out the attendance argument. To some LJ might come across as arrogant, to me he makes a lot of sense when he talks to the press and it’s refreshing to see a manager so calm. Don’t get me wrong, the lack of fire in his belly might haunt him someday but I was focused on the arrogant accusations initially. I’d love to know if those who think LJ is arrogant if they thought his Dad is/was too. 

I don’t think you can take out Flint and Bryan and not take out the players he didn’t sign but admittedly the stats are much more balanced than I was expecting. I notice that you seem to have put a value on the players that havent yet been sold. Is this your opinion? Looks accurate when you take into account contract length but some of that is probably out of LJs control. 

Can you filter the players he brought in v the players he brought in not yet sold complete with your valuations of them. It’d be interesting to see. Alternatively if you can dm me the .xls file I’ll do it myself. No worries if no time.

Overall, I think it’s reasonable to be on the fence with any manager but because of that I don’t think I’ll see another Alex Ferguson in my lifetime. 

Others have suggested that accepting mediocrity is not prudent but the owner has put a target of 6th on Lee’s head so we’ll see how he reacts if we don’t make it.

19 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

Superb Dave.

I think there is. Cocky shows cofindence and I think socially it’s acceptable when we see younger players act that way so why not managers. Arrogance shows delusion and it’s a trait we can attribute to many a sad sag when they bring out the attendance argument. To some LJ might come across as arrogant, to me he makes a lot of sense when he talks to the press and it’s refreshing to see a manager so calm. Don’t get me wrong, the lack of fire in his belly might haunt him someday but I was focused on the arrogant accusations initially. I’d love to know if those who think LJ is arrogant if they thought his Dad is/was too. 

I don’t think you can take out Flint and Bryan and not take out the players he didn’t sign but admittedly the stats are much more balanced than I was expecting. I notice that you seem to have put a value on the players that havent yet been sold. Is this your opinion? Looks accurate when you take into account contract length but some of that is probably out of LJs control. 

Can you filter the players he brought in v the players he brought in not yet sold complete with your valuations of them. It’d be interesting to see. Alternatively if you can dm me the .xls file I’ll do it myself. No worries if no time.

Overall, I think it’s reasonable to be on the fence with any manager but because of that I don’t think I’ll see another Alex Ferguson in my lifetime. 

Others have suggested that accepting mediocrity is not prudent but the owner has put a target of 6th on Lee’s head so we’ll see how he reacts if we don’t make it.

I generally like his pre-match press conferences. Not fond of post-match. 

I didn’t find GJ arrogant, second hand car salesman? Yes!  But not as much media in those days. 

Yes, my values on those not sold based on many factors inc length of contract at the end of the season (from memory).  Also I think I only did values for players LJ signed.

i really want to build a model that shows what LJ might have thought projected value might be year by year for each player and then compare it to what it might be. 

DM me your email address and I’ll ping it over. 

It's a results orientated business and in that respect WeeLee's strung together a decent set of results (and long may that continue, but it won't because it never does.) That doesn't contradict the fact we've ridden our luck, and more, in having been fortunate to have nicked results having often been out-played or having struggled to defeat poor and depleted opposition. Fans may rave about winning at Stoke though truth is they could and should have blown us off the park and post our Rotherham performance, when I've never heard such negative comment after a victory, one or two minor alterations would have again had fans calling for his head. 

Longer term nothing much has changed. We really aren't that good, are dire in some aspects, are dull as ditchwater to watch and are extremely unlikely to be troubling the business end of the table anytime soon. In that respect WeeLee's like his father. The season we threw both promotion and playoffs many forget might easily have ended for us in relegation. GJ used up just about all the luck he could muster in grabbing late and undeserved victories (not any of us were complaining.) When we fell short many attributed the subsequent decline to players disappointment in having seen the Promised Land only to have been refused entry. Truth was we simply weren't good enough and reverted to type ( and much lower league standing,) post hitting a purple patch.

WeeLee is no better or worse after his recent run than he was before. Long term his inconsistency remains worrying and as for progress, like the first cuckoo of spring I'm still looking for it.

So, reading this thread, people that actually use this forum, as a forum, are assholes for using this forum as a forum?

Righto. I actually enjoy this place and don't take it too seriously but each to their own.

Been unwell and in hospital for a couple of days so apologies for not replying if any of the rants were aimed at me.

Time to read and not post for a while methinks as my opinion is different to some. Perish the thought of having a different opinion on a discussion forum eh?

I bet all these uberfans are the idiots that want a second referendum as they didn't win the first one!

47 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

It's a results orientated business and in that respect WeeLee's strung together a decent set of results (and long may that continue, but it won't because it never does.) That doesn't contradict the fact we've ridden our luck, and more, in having been fortunate to have nicked results having often been out-played or having struggled to defeat poor and depleted opposition. Fans may rave about winning at Stoke though truth is they could and should have blown us off the park and post our Rotherham performance, when I've never heard such negative comment after a victory, one or two minor alterations would have again had fans calling for his head. 

Longer term nothing much has changed. We really aren't that good, are dire in some aspects, are dull as ditchwater to watch and are extremely unlikely to be troubling the business end of the table anytime soon. In that respect WeeLee's like his father. The season we threw both promotion and playoffs many forget might easily have ended for us in relegation. GJ used up just about all the luck he could muster in grabbing late and undeserved victories (not any of us were complaining.) When we fell short many attributed the subsequent decline to players disappointment in having seen the Promised Land only to have been refused entry. Truth was we simply weren't good enough and reverted to type ( and much lower league standing,) post hitting a purple patch.

WeeLee is no better or worse after his recent run than he was before. Long term his inconsistency remains worrying and as for progress, like the first cuckoo of spring I'm still looking for it.

What a load of tosh!! The season we got in the play offs was a quality season. We had the momentum of the season before and it was based on a top defence, very similar to this season!!

Over 46 games you are where you finish on merit. Not luck as you put it. Never seen so much rubbish!! We were not lucky over all 46 game. This season the same, we've had games where we've been unlucky or teams have finished there chances. Stoke and Wba being two and there were others. We lost when we were the better team for alot of those games. Its football. Why not give both managers credit rather than try and find reasons to be negative! Both have been the  most successful managers for us in the last 30 odd years, so get over it!! 

About the inconsistency I think your find most teams have been and that will carry on I expect. There isn't alot in the league and that's why it's so tight and one of the best leagues in Europe to watch. We like any other team have no given right to win every game. To go 8 unbeaten is an achievement in itself!! 

We should be enjoying being in a very good league and competing well in it. 

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

So, reading this thread, people that actually use this forum, as a forum, are assholes for using this forum as a forum?

Righto. I actually enjoy this place and don't take it too seriously but each to their own.

Been unwell and in hospital for a couple of days so apologies for not replying if any of the rants were aimed at me.

Time to read and not post for a while methinks as my opinion is different to some. Perish the thought of having a different opinion on a discussion forum eh?

I bet all these uberfans are the idiots that want a second referendum as they didn't win the first one!

Get well soon Ska, and hope you'll have a rethink about posting asap.:thumbsup:

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 14:00, keynshamred said:

They are all valid reasons yeah. Why shouldn't he use a few of those? He's not a miracle worker, he is working within his means with no large parachute payment and trying to blood youngsters gradually. There is alot of reason for optism unlike the 30 odd other years I have had a season ticket. He is hardly failing us, putting us in debt or getting in a relegation battle. Building gradually towards are goal of the promised land.

Lansdown has done wonders for this club and if its good enough for him, it's good enough for me and many others. Try supporting an Ipswich, Reading even Stoke who are alot bigger clubs with a bigger fanbase. He has made us an astonished champ club!! 

Really? Lay off the mushrooms.

On 01/01/2019 at 18:50, keynshamred said:

I think Johnson and his team need some credit and the ones who constantly slag him off need to give him some slack and praise!

He has made us an astoblished championship club in the last few years!! This I may add after selling 3 top players and making alot of money for our club! I will add, its not aimed at alot of supporters on here but there are some on here that just hate Johnson and want him to fail. 

He sold players that had been developed over 10 years by the Academy coaches, I'd say they deserve a lot more credit than you seem to want to give them. Flint of course was purchased by a previous manager. So it's simply not true to say that Johnson made a lot of money for our club - particularly if we did a P&L of the players which Johnson has both bought and sold, which would demonstrate that so far he has made a loss for the club.

It's also patently incorrect to say that he has made us an astoblished (sic) championship club in the last few years - we were already in the Championship when he arrived.

On 01/01/2019 at 19:26, keynshamred said:

Don't worry yourself with his ways. He is our manager and a former player that loves the club. If he wants to be arogant then good on him!!  End of the day he is a top person and enjoys working at Bristol city!! 

On 01/01/2019 at 23:00, keynshamred said:

Was I meaning you? Not necessarily just I know for a fact that some in our fan base hate him as a person and as a manger no matter what he does in the future!!  That's why his tenure will always add tension and you'll get bad reaction through out the fan base! 

Playing devils advocate, if his being manager will always add tension and get a bad reaction in the fan base, should he not resign, seeing that he loves the club so much, in order to put an end to all this bad feeling which you perceive?

3 minutes ago, NickJ said:

He sold players that had been developed over 10 years by the Academy coaches, I'd say they deserve a lot more credit than you seem to want to give them. Flint of course was purchased by a previous manager. So it's simply not true to say that Johnson made a lot of money for our club - particularly if we did a P&L of the players which Johnson has both bought and sold, which would demonstrate that so far he has made a loss for the club.

It's also patently incorrect to say that he has made us an astoblished (sic) championship club in the last few years - we were already in the Championship when he arrived.

Playing devils advocate, if his being manager will always add tension and get a bad reaction in the fan base, should he not resign, seeing that he loves the club so much, in order to put an end to all this bad feeling which you perceive?

Too answer the first part. Johnson made Reid the player he was. Before he played him up front he was very average and inconsistent. No signs that he would become a 10 milion pound player and striker, in which Johnson could see and gave him the opportunity. Bryan also got better under Johnson and became a better full back rather than a wing back. 

When he took over we were near the bottom of the league and looking like we were going only one way. Down. Kept us up and ever since have been a mid table team. So I would say that's astabolished. 

Your second part. I could see why he would resign but why should he. He clearly loves the club and is doing a top job. Never looks at forums so that's a good thing as some stuff on here is just  well OTT. Maybe he wants us to succeed and hopefully in the next 2/3 years will get us to the prem league. Maybe some then will give him credit. Really don't get all the negative reaction towards him!! 

10 minutes ago, NickJ said:

He loves the club so much he would go in a heartbeat if a better option presented itself.

Don't blame him either, but the bullshit some people post about LJ's love for the club makes me puke. Some even say he's a City fan ? Who tf was he supporting throughout his youth and early/mid adulthood then, or is he one of those despicable ***** who chop and change teams.

I don't think he is such a despicable **** by the way, and neither do I think he is a City fan.

2 minutes ago, keynshamred said:

Too answer the first part. Johnson made Reid the player he was. Before he played him up front he was very average and inconsistent. No signs that he would become a 10 milion pound player and striker, in which Johnson could see and gave him the opportunity. 

I remember BR ended up playing up front cos everyone else was injured. The team for the first half of last season picked itself due to injuries...

Of course you have to give LJ credit for working with the players to improve them he also had a bit of luck as well. As you need with most things in life 

3 minutes ago, keynshamred said:

Too answer the first part. Johnson made Reid the player he was. Before he played him up front he was very average and inconsistent. No signs that he would become a 10 milion pound player and striker, in which Johnson could see and gave him the opportunity. Bryan also got better under Johnson and became a better full back rather than a wing back. 

When he took over we were near the bottom of the league and looking like we were going only one way. Down. Kept us up and ever since have been a mid table team. So I would say that's astabolished. 

Your second part. I could see why he would resign but why should he. He clearly loves the club and is doing a top job. Never looks at forums so that's a good thing as some stuff on here is just  well OTT. Maybe he wants us to succeed and hopefully in the next 2/3 years will get us to the prem league. Maybe some then will give him credit. Really don't get all the negative reaction towards him!! 

Been said many times on here recently that back room staff identified the potential of moving Reid forward, but by all means continue the love in.

As for Bryan, i'm not sure he was any better May 2018 than he was when LJ took over to be honest but that's open to question.

I think Pembo had a big role in keeping us up but he carried on the good work so fair play to him for that because Cotts was taking us down I fear.

The negative reaction towards him is I suspect about how he has had such an easy ride as a player and a coach here and it is also the antidiote to severe arse licking that seems to emanate from BS31...

10 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

He loves the club so much he would go in a heartbeat if a better option presented itself.

Don't blame him either, but the bullshit some people post about LJ's love for the club makes me puke. Some even say he's a City fan ? Who tf was he supporting throughout his youth and early/mid adulthood then, or is he one of those despicable ***** who chop and change teams.

I don't think he is such a despicable **** by the way, and neither do I think he is a City fan.

That will be the acid test for LJ.

Would any of us begrudge him a Prem job if it came along now?  I wouldn’t.

But what if someone like Forest sacked Karanka and went after LJ?  What would we think then?  Do you think he’d go to a “bigger” club than us in the same division (not opening a debate about bigger clubs, just using them as an example)?

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Get well soon and keep posting.

Won't always agree of course, but thats how it is ?

23 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I remember BR ended up playing up front cos everyone else was injured. The team for the first half of last season picked itself due to injuries...

Of course you have to give LJ credit for working with the players to improve them he also had a bit of luck as well. As you need with most things in life 

Reid was played up front from minute one in pre season, played in all the freindlies and Johnson said its something he thought about over the summer. All credit to him for that!! So injuries or not he was always going to play up top during last season.

Credit has to go to Reid as well for his fitness and work rate. Maybe knowing he was going to play up top he worked harder in pre season to make sure he cemented that position! 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But what if someone like Forest sacked Karanka and went after LJ?  What would we think then?  Do you think he’d go to a “bigger” club than us in the same division (not opening a debate about bigger clubs, just using them as an example)?

I really think he would still be with us if it was another champ club. Complete the job he is trying to achieve and get us to the prem. If a prem club came in then who knows but I'd hope he would stay.

So young and over the next 2/3 years will keep improving on all aspects of the job. We have a gem here and hope the fans and club stick by him. I really think he will achieve big things if he stays the next 5 years. And no I'm not saying Europe or top 6 in the prem. ? 

5 minutes ago, keynshamred said:

"Johnson made Reid the player he was". So the coaches who developed Reid for 10 years, Millen who gave him a debut at 16, Cotts who didn't play him too much as he wasn't quite ready but made him feel part of the championship winning squad, and so on, they played no part in Reid's development, not to mention the natural talent which Reid himself has worked on? Somehow Johnson gets all the credit for reverting him to a position that he had in any case previously played? And how do you know this was in any case Johnson, there are lots of coaches, assistants and analysts involved in the background these days, they get none of the credit? Was it even necessarily even Johnson's idea? We don't know, do we.

"Bryan also got better under Johnson and became a better full back rather than a wing back". Similar comments as per Reid, except this is even more outrageously untrue. Bryan was in the 2014/15 League One team of the season, so it was pretty clear early on he was a decent player. As for Johnson's claim which you seem to go along with, that he converted Bryan to a full back, that's a sort of "so what"? Bryan was a wing back because Cotts preferred 3-5-2. He then played full back because Johnson prefers 4-4-2. So what. Seeing the crosses Bryan is putting in for Fulham, I'd say making Bryan play as a full back did not play to his full strengths, which a genuinely good manager such as Ranieri recognizes.

"He clearly loves the club". I expect he does. Having spent most of his playing career in non league, to be subsequently rescued from his 4 game sojourn in Scotland must have been a huge relief for him. He'd done very little, bordering on nothing, to warrant becoming manager of a Championship club. I expect therefore he does love Bristol City. But in the unlikely event that a Premiership or bigger Championship offered him a contract and more money, would he stay? Of course not. His "love" for Bristol City is in direct proportion to his monthly salary bank transfer.

"is doing a top job". That's a matter of opinion. The owner has said he wants play offs. Despite the recent good run, I'd say that looks unlikely. Therefore, having had 6 transfer windows, this season will have been a failure, when referenced against the owners yardstick. And as I pointed out before, Johnson's transfer dealings are currently in deficit, and looking at the prices paid for the ones still here and out on loan, I'd say that deficit will in time get worse.

"Never looks at forums". How do you know?

9 minutes ago, NickJ said:

"Johnson made Reid the player he was". So the coaches who developed Reid for 10 years, Millen who gave him a debut at 16, Cotts who didn't play him too much as he wasn't quite ready but made him feel part of the championship winning squad, and so on, they played no part in Reid's development, not to mention the natural talent which Reid himself has worked on? Somehow Johnson gets all the credit for reverting him to a position that he had in any case previously played? And how do you know this was in any case Johnson, there are lots of coaches, assistants and analysts involved in the background these days, they get none of the credit? Was it even necessarily even Johnson's idea? We don't know, do we.

"Bryan also got better under Johnson and became a better full back rather than a wing back". Similar comments as per Reid, except this is even more outrageously untrue. Bryan was in the 2014/15 League One team of the season, so it was pretty clear early on he was a decent player. As for Johnson's claim which you seem to go along with, that he converted Bryan to a full back, that's a sort of "so what"? Bryan was a wing back because Cotts preferred 3-5-2. He then played full back because Johnson prefers 4-4-2. So what. Seeing the crosses Bryan is putting in for Fulham, I'd say making Bryan play as a full back did not play to his full strengths, which a genuinely good manager such as Ranieri recognizes.

"He clearly loves the club". I expect he does. Having spent most of his playing career in non league, to be subsequently rescued from his 4 game sojourn in Scotland must have been a huge relief for him. He'd done very little, bordering on nothing, to warrant becoming manager of a Championship club. I expect therefore he does love Bristol City. But in the unlikely event that a Premiership or bigger Championship offered him a contract and more money, would he stay? Of course not. His "love" for Bristol City is in direct proportion to his monthly salary bank transfer.

"is doing a top job". That's a matter of opinion. The owner has said he wants play offs. Despite the recent good run, I'd say that looks unlikely. Therefore, having had 6 transfer windows, this season will have been a failure, when referenced against the owners yardstick. And as I pointed out before, Johnson's transfer dealings are currently in deficit, and looking at the prices paid for the ones still here and out on loan, I'd say that deficit will in time get worse.

"Never looks at forums". How do you know?

Everything I have said about, I have heard him say in interviews. He said that during the summer he wanted to revert him to a striker as he believed it would suit the style he was going to be playing that season, with the high press etc, im sure he spoke with his team about it so yeah your right it was prob a team decision, bottom line is that Johnson makes the final say. Of course you have a point in which the development is part of it through all the youth levels. But cotts played him as an attacking  midfielder, never reached the standards and class of last year, I may add most in a lower league! 

He has also said on interviews that he never looks at social media or forums, or maybe you think he is lying?

Also regarding lansdown saying we need to be in the play offs. He actually said he wanted a higher finish than last year which is looking good at present. Let's hope we don't get the bad injuries of last year that won't help that happen!! 

2 hours ago, keynshamred said:

What a load of tosh!! The season we got in the play offs was a quality season. We had the momentum of the season before and it was based on a top defence, very similar to this season!!

Over 46 games you are where you finish on merit. Not luck as you put it. Never seen so much rubbish!! We were not lucky over all 46 game. This season the same, we've had games where we've been unlucky or teams have finished there chances. Stoke and Wba being two and there were others. We lost when we were the better team for alot of those games. Its football. Why not give both managers credit rather than try and find reasons to be negative! Both have been the  most successful managers for us in the last 30 odd years, so get over it!! 

About the inconsistency I think your find most teams have been and that will carry on I expect. There isn't alot in the league and that's why it's so tight and one of the best leagues in Europe to watch. We like any other team have no given right to win every game. To go 8 unbeaten is an achievement in itself!! 

We should be enjoying being in a very good league and competing well in it. 

That's your opinion and you're fully entitled to it. But your response only serves to further put your OP in context.

Let's leave it there.....

On 02/01/2019 at 11:41, Davefevs said:

I think it’s been shown that 47 Transfers isn’t a huge number, about the average.  I think the biggest gripe is the amount we’ve wasted....which for those who just go by net spend, is not really taking the right factors into account.

Ive just started updating the strikers Goals per minute spreadsheet.  I’ll be back!

Blimey ! Why's it taking you so long?

If this verbal warning doesn't have the desired effect, it'll have to be a written warning,?

@NickJ 

re your post above in response to @keynshamred

1. Reid - he played striker as a youth, and whoever saw the potential, I think I'll give LJ some credit for going through with it.  I do think injuries to Taylor and Djuric meant LJ knew that he needed a partner for new signing Diedhiou.  Probably be 70:30 in favour of Johnson here.

2. Bryan - definitely cannot give all the credit to LJ on this.  He played him in other positions too.  JB was a flexible left sided player, good enough technically to perform in multiple systems, dedicated to do so...not just in 17/18, but 16/17 too, even playing in CM.  Just a darned good footballer.

3. Johnson Playing Career - wrong, he spent the first couple of seasons getting Yeovil into the FL, then spent the rest in the football league across League 2, League 1 and Champ....over 300 games....mostly for his dad, but you can’t say he played majority non-league.  I don’t think we know what he’d have done had West Brom truly been interested in him in the summer.

4. Top Job - he’s doing a decent job overall, across his full remit.  League position is not the be all and end all to his remit.  It’s heavily weighted you would expect.  We are in the same 11th place we ended last season.  Too many angles to look at 11th, e.g. 8 unbeaten (+), but 4W 4D 4L In last 12 etc.  It’s subjective

I sit here tonight riding the current wave, and pretty happy.  But I'm not blinkered to say it’s perfect and “he’s taking us to the Prem” either.  We all need to just gone down the plaudits and criticism towards the shades of grey....it ain’t black and white.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@NickJ 

re your post above in response to @keynshamred

1. Reid - he played striker as a youth, and whoever saw the potential, I think I'll give LJ some credit for going through with it.  I do think injuries to Taylor and Djuric meant LJ knew that he needed a partner for new signing Diedhiou.  Probably be 70:30 in favour of Johnson here.

2. Bryan - definitely cannot give all the credit to LJ on this.  He played him in other positions too.  JB was a flexible left sided player, good enough technically to perform in multiple systems, dedicated to do so...not just in 17/18, but 16/17 too, even playing in CM.  Just a darned good footballer.

3. Johnson Playing Career - wrong, he spent the first couple of seasons getting Yeovil into the FL, then spent the rest in the football league across League 2, League 1 and Champ....over 300 games....mostly for his dad, but you can’t say he played majority non-league.  I don’t think we know what he’d have done had West Brom truly been interested in him in the summer.

4. Top Job - he’s doing a decent job overall, across his full remit.  League position is not the be all and end all to his remit.  It’s heavily weighted you would expect.  We are in the same 11th place we ended last season.  Too many angles to look at 11th, e.g. 8 unbeaten (+), but 4W 4D 4L In last 12 etc.  It’s subjective

I sit here tonight riding the current wave, and pretty happy.  But I'm not blinkered to say it’s perfect and “he’s taking us to the Prem” either.  We all need to just gone down the plaudits and criticism towards the shades of grey....it ain’t black and white.

1. Yes Dave, as I said Reid had previously played as a striker and somebody had the idea of reverting him there. I suspect somebody suggested it and LJ agreed to give it a go. So for LJ to take all the credit for Reid when he'd already been a striker and for example was rated highly enough to be given a league debut at 16 is a bit rich to say the least.

2. Bryan, agreed, he's a good left sided player and again Johnson giving himself so much credit is just daft.

3. I was a bit lazy on his playing career, in fact he didn't make it at all until Gary signed him for Yeovil at age 20, where he played 2 seasons non league, then 2 seasons division 4 (as I still call it), then a season in the 3rd division before an unsuccessful spell in Scotland before coming to Bristol City, following which he had another brief spell in Scotland and a few games at other lower league clubs. So I'd imagine he does have very positive affinity with Bristol City!

4. Can't agree he's doing a top or even decent job. As we've spoken about on another thread, his transfer P&L is in deficit, and if we dont reach the play offs that will be a failure under the owners terms of reference. I'd say he's doing an average job. On average, anybody could pick an average manager.

35 minutes ago, keynshamred said:

He has also said on interviews that he never looks at social media or forums, or maybe you think he is lying?

Don't know why you are being so defensive, I didn't say he was, I just asked how you know he never looks a social media stuff. Never heard him say that, in fact I've heard him indicate the opposite, not in a big way, but definitely he has.

Looking at your posting history, out of curiosity, about 90%+ of which is defending Johnson, you certainly are a big fan of his!!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think he would go to a club in the champ in a better position than us and I dont just mean top 6. He would jump ship for the likes of stoke and I wouldnt blame him because he is a professional football manager and anyone who thinks differently that he loves bcfc should think again in my opinion.

@Davefevs - I can see you argument for not including Bryan and Flint in your earlier list. But taking aside the fact that it's LJ for a second.

Two questions:

1) What were Joe Bryan and Aden Flint worth in 2015, or summer 2016?

2) Then, can you honestly say that a manager can't take some credit for the improvement and big profit made on 2 players who spent over 2 years under them and played over 100 games for?

Unless you believe a player's development would have been the same, regardless of manager.

3 minutes ago, NickJ said:

1. Yes Dave, as I said Reid had previously played as a striker and somebody had the idea of reverting him there. I suspect somebody suggested it and LJ agreed to give it a go. So for LJ to take all the credit for Reid when he'd already been a striker and for example was rated highly enough to be given a league debut at 16 is a bit rich to say the least.

2. Bryan, agreed, he's a good left sided player and again Johnson giving himself so much credit is just daft.

3. I was a bit lazy on his playing career, in fact he didn't make it at all until Gary signed him for Yeovil at age 20, where he played 2 seasons non league, then 2 seasons division 4 (as I still call it), then a season in the 3rd division before an unsuccessful spell in Scotland before coming to Bristol City, following which he had another brief spell in Scotland and a few games at other lower league clubs. So I'd imagine he does have very positive affinity with Bristol City!

4. Can't agree he's doing a top or even decent job. As we've spoken about on another thread, his transfer P&L is in deficit, and if we dont reach the play offs that will be a failure under the owners terms of reference. I'd say he's doing an average job. On average, anybody could pick an average manager.

I really struggle with both of those words.  I often use the word decent when I mean average because average is taken negatively so often.  He’s probably a smidge in credit for me overall, but his 8 game run gives him an upward trend.  But I see both sides of this one....and it’s so subjective.

I never saw LJ play live apart from 40 minutes v Watford in the playoff season when Henderson crocked him, so I don’t have anything in his playing career to sway me either way.  Some on here loves the simple pass and move, others loathed it.

As per Monty Python, he ain’t the messiah, but he ain’t a naughty boy either!!

Archived